OT: Need yer help making tough decision! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 129 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2003, 22:32 Thread Starter
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
OT: Need yer help making tough decision!

I needs me new wheels - after months and months of research, I've come down to two choices, but for the life of me can't decide which of the two - Audi A4, Sports edition 3.0 and Saab 9three, Vector 2.0 T.

I've test driven both twice. I change my mind everytime I drive 'em.

I think I favor the exterior of the Saab, but the interior of the Audi gives the impression of higher quality.

Power is very similar, both are in the 200+ hp range. Both handled great.

The Saab has a little more headroom for its rear passengers, but the Audi comes with all-wheel drive (important in the snow).

The Audi is a little more pricey (by about 2K).

I can't make up my mind.

Click here to take a look at these cars and offer me your opinion.

Audi

Saab

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2003, 22:36
Rookie

If ya want a car, then the Audi it is.

If ya are looking for a hobby, and I mean bringing your car back and forth between the shop and your home, then the Saab it is.

Screw what it looks on the outside here. Audi all the way.
Better machine overall.

O fogao, sentido I, e um Aparelho Domestico, utilizado nas cozinhas, que serve para cozinhar os alimentos.
post #3 of 129 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2003, 22:38
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
If I was you I would go for the Audi. You'll appreciate the superior German engineering that goes into those things with time as you'll have such a well-built, high performance car.

post #4 of 129 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2003, 22:38 Thread Starter
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I've spoken to a few past Saab owners - none really complained about mechanical headaches. Do you know someone, or you yourself, who has had trouble with a Saab?

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #5 of 129 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2003, 23:03
Rising Star

Teams: FC Porto
Of course the Audi. Saab's are for single career women who have had bitter experiences with men and don't trust them any more.

And at least if you go for the Audi you'll get a (tiny) bit of racing heritage with it.
post #6 of 129 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2003, 23:22
World Class Player

Teams: Detroit Red Wings
Errrrr...I pass on the Saab, Audi, VW...etc...etc...

Superb cars yes, but I spent most of my time at the gas station filling up my Jetta. And no, I never made any long road trips. Selling off that gas guzzler was the smartest thing I ever did.
post #7 of 129 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2003, 23:30
Rising Star

Teams: FC Porto
Quote:
Originally posted by Marco
Errrrr...I pass on the Saab, Audi, VW...etc...etc...

Superb cars yes, but I spent most of my time at the gas station filling up my Jetta. And no, I never made any long road trips. Selling off that gas guzzler was the smartest thing I ever did.
Good point especially when considering a 3 litre Audi. But then again if you want fuel consumption, buy a honda civic.
post #8 of 129 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2003, 23:31 Thread Starter
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Until they start mass producing Hidrogen-powered cell cars, gas is not that much of an issue. Both, the Audi and the Sabb get 30+ miles per gallon. Not bad considering all my driving is highway miles living in the boonies n' all. Besides, I have an Xterra that does 19 miles in the highway - that is a gas guzzler.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #9 of 129 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2003, 23:32 Thread Starter
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by kingmonkey
Of course the Audi. Saab's are for single career women who have had bitter experiences with men and don't trust them any more.

And at least if you go for the Audi you'll get a (tiny) bit of racing heritage with it.
Just the kind of women I like.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #10 of 129 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2003, 23:45
Rising Star

I would go for the audi. The saab looks but its nothing special. The audi also has better features. BTW what color so you plan o getting ?
post #11 of 129 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2003, 00:00
Rookie

Pila

What do reviews say about cars?

I've heard some horror stories with Saabs, no specific model in mind.

O fogao, sentido I, e um Aparelho Domestico, utilizado nas cozinhas, que serve para cozinhar os alimentos.
post #12 of 129 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2003, 00:51 Thread Starter
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Reviews were favorable for both cars, though there was a tid bit about how some Saab owners had to make a few unscheduled appointments to fine tune the computer.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #13 of 129 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2003, 00:52 Thread Starter
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by SLBportigy10#
I would go for the audi. The saab looks but its nothing special. The audi also has better features. BTW what color so you plan o getting ?
Black.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #14 of 129 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2003, 00:59
Rising Star

I'd go for the Saab myself. I used to have an Audi and it was a complete lemon, and always expensive to repair (although the Saab would be too, I'd imagine). Not to say that the Audi you're interested in wouldn't be reliable, the one I had was way back in 93'. Audi's are nice though, I just had a negative experience with one..

Last edited by ::shinji::; January 21st, 2003 at 01:03.
post #15 of 129 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2003, 03:50
Tim
Xtratime Legend

My instincts would say to go with the Audi. It just seems like the better deal. Better value, better quality; overall the better package.

My family had a Saab in the late 80s. A real nice car. It did have a few problems, though: the automatic transmission had some gremlins that couldn't be fixed, and the engine actually caught fire once. But that was over 15 years ago, so it might not say much about the reliability of Saabs today.

By the way, also keep in mind what the dealerships you would be dealing with are like. Are the people friendly and reliable? Will everything go smoothly if you need to bring the car in for repairs?
post #16 of 129 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2003, 04:06
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
My dad has an Audi A4 from like 2000 or so and it's great. I would love to have the car. My buddy had a Saab from 1980-something and he loved it....until the front wheel fell off in a parking lot. I leave it to you to figure out what makes the most sense

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
post #17 of 129 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2003, 04:06
Star Player

Teams: Portugal, Sporting
STOP!!!

MY Saab was a 93. I loved the car, but heaven help me it was worst friggin money pit I ever owned.

Like you, I loved the handling and power, the general feel of the car, and of course the looks. I even liked some of its quirkyness, but when things started to go on it in the fourth year......it was an utter nightmare.

Nothing electrical could be counted on. I would no sooner have a headlamp, the radio, or the interior lights fixed - then they would short out again. My wife took the car for her road test when she was getting her license, and the seat heater burned itself out and almost lit the back seat on fire! Smoke was pouring out while the Ministry official was in the passenger seat.

I babyed that car like a mother hen, and all it ever gave me was grief after the fourth year. I don't know if Audi is more reliable in the long run, but it can hardly be less. Even the mechanic I took it too, (he does nothing but Saabs), admitted that though he loved them, he does not keep one as his main transportation.

So, if you're leasing, maybe the Saab can be considered, but I would NEVER buy one again. It soured me on cars so much that I now drive a HONDA!!! Boring, but dependable.

Let me add that Rick, (the mechanic), also admitted that these type of problems were continuing right up through the more recent model years. I remember seeing one guy storm into Rick's place, livid because the windows weren't working after 3 repairs in as many months. His car was just off the warranty.

Last edited by Tinto; January 21st, 2003 at 04:11.
post #18 of 129 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2003, 14:41 Thread Starter
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Well that settles it then - the Audi it is.

Thanks all for the feed back. I'm going with the Audi - can't wait to pick it up.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #19 of 129 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2003, 14:43
International

Don't be a wuss, go for a 1967 Chevy Impala SS with a 396.
post #20 of 129 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2003, 14:43 Thread Starter
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim
My instincts would say to go with the Audi. It just seems like the better deal. Better value, better quality; overall the better package.

My family had a Saab in the late 80s. A real nice car. It did have a few problems, though: the automatic transmission had some gremlins that couldn't be fixed, and the engine actually caught fire once. But that was over 15 years ago, so it might not say much about the reliability of Saabs today.

By the way, also keep in mind what the dealerships you would be dealing with are like. Are the people friendly and reliable? Will everything go smoothly if you need to bring the car in for repairs?
ANother reason to go with the Audi, the dealer is much closer than the Saab dealer. I get three years of free scheduled maintenance, but would have to drive an hour to get to the nearest Saab dealer while the Audi dealer is 15 minutes away.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in