UCL: Olympiacos x Benfica - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old November 5th, 2013, 00:52 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
UCL: Olympiacos x Benfica

We play an important match away in Greece vs the current Greek champion Olympiacos who put on a good display at LUZ recently, moving Matic back to #6 and Enzo to #8 has resulted in our team looking like the Benfica of the past couple of years, expect to see Andre Almeida back on the right side and Siqueira on the left and let's good for a good result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old November 5th, 2013, 10:52
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa View Post
We play an important match away in Greece vs the current Greek champion Olympiacos who put on a good display at LUZ recently, moving Matic back to #6 and Enzo to #8 has resulted in our team looking like the Benfica of the past couple of years, expect to see Andre Almeida back on the right side and Siqueira on the left and let's good for a good result.
talking about wishful thinking there

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old November 5th, 2013, 19:59
Premier Player
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
ANOTHER goal conceded on a corner. This is just beyond the pale.

“Despite popular belief, golf is not a waste of time.”
-Opening remark in Goofy's "How to Play Golf"

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old November 5th, 2013, 21:46
Premier Player
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
Down 3 with two to play. Have to win out and hope for the best.

“Despite popular belief, golf is not a waste of time.”
-Opening remark in Goofy's "How to Play Golf"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old November 5th, 2013, 23:05
Culé y Benfiquista
Rising Star

Teams: FC Barcelona, SL Benfica
What will it take for Jesus to get canned?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2013, 03:12 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXP103 View Post
ANOTHER goal conceded on a corner. This is just beyond the pale.
Ridiculous, the Greeks score on a corner kick, the game is all one sided and the Portuguese lose in the end.

Is the UCL 2013 or the Euro 2004?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2013, 03:13 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by weloveyuner View Post
What will it take for Jesus to get canned?
A loss to Sporting in the cup and another loss right after, otherwise we'll have to buy out the remaining of his contract.

I don't blame Jesus for this loss, you can say that Roberto saved everything but he's taking shots straight at him.

I think we still own him, quick, sell him to Madrid, they buy anything.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2013, 03:14 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis View Post
talking about wishful thinking there
I think we did pretty ok, finishing and kindergarten defending in the first goal aside
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2013, 03:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXP103 View Post
Down 3 with two to play. Have to win out and hope for the best.
I almost rather finish 4th and not waste time in EL
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2013, 19:23
Rising Star

Benfica will never play to the level of its ability as long as JJ is coach. Problem is that he has had just enough success to keep his job in LFV's eyes. I hate them both.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2013, 22:21
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
It's that "just enough" teazer that also keeps me from calling for JJ's head. A semi in the CL and a final in the UEFA, along with a real opportunity to take the champioship and the Taca and then losing aren't what we hoped for, but it's nothing to sneeze at either to be all gung-ho for uncertain change. I mean, don't get me wrong - the skid and burn of the last two weeks of last season is something that still makes me want to rip out my colon and flagellate myself with it, but getting there also gives me pause about hasty ship-jumping.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2013, 13:37
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila View Post
It's that "just enough" teazer that also keeps me from calling for JJ's head. A semi in the CL and a final in the UEFA, along with a real opportunity to take the champioship and the Taca and then losing aren't what we hoped for, but it's nothing to sneeze at either to be all gung-ho for uncertain change. I mean, don't get me wrong - the skid and burn of the last two weeks of last season is something that still makes me want to rip out my colon and flagellate myself with it, but getting there also gives me pause about hasty ship-jumping.
I put forward a question to you. How successful do you think these group of players would have been if they played for Porto ? I think they would have been amazing. Much better than they have been under JJ. I dont see it as how close we have gotten under JJ's term as coach. I see it as the lost opportunities we have had as a result of his coaching. The problem that I have with JJ is that he coaches to not loose instead of trying to win. He loves to take the foot off the pedal when his team is winning and lets the other team back into the game. He has choked in big games how many times over the years ? This has been the case for years now.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2013, 14:03
Rising Star

Pila, please dont get me wrong. I totally understand where you are coming from. I can relate, its more me explaining my frustration
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2013, 15:01
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Outside of the game with Porto, which I agree was a cluster**** of an attitude deficiency mostly, I didn't see much to gripe with - I saw Benfica outplay Chelsea in the final. The Taca game against Guimaraes, I saw a club sucumb to pressure. Not sure that was Jesus doing.

So to me, the Porto loss was the only real loss where I saw coaching have a direct hand in it. Don't get me wrong, it was a doozy - it was for the championship afterall. But I didn't see a pattern of perpetual ineptitude. I did see long stretches of really good football though.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2013, 15:02
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Welcome, btw!

Tell us a bit about yourself.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2013, 15:33
Rising Star

Quote:
Outside of the game with Porto, which I agree was a cluster**** of an attitude deficiency mostly, I didn't see much to gripe with - I saw Benfica outplay Chelsea in the final. The Taca game against Guimaraes, I saw a club sucumb to pressure. Not sure that was Jesus doing.

So to me, the Porto loss was the only real loss where I saw coaching have a direct hand in it. Don't get me wrong, it was a doozy - it was for the championship afterall. But I didn't see a pattern of perpetual ineptitude. I did see long stretches of really good football though.
Dumb ass decisions like using Cardozo in games where we are playing against tough opponents so he sets up for counter attack . Cardozo (no fault of his own) can not run to save his life. He can not play the counter attack game. Especially not as a lone striker. Couple of years ago, Benfica had an opportunity to win the Uefa. He sat out players because we had a game against Porto that week. We lost both games. There are more examples. I could go on but there is no point. Sometimes we won or tied despite his coaching decisions. Even worse, he is a young Portuguese players killer. Refuses to play our young Portuguese players.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2013, 15:40
Rising Star

Quote:
Welcome, btw!

Tell us a bit about yourself.
Thanks for the welcome bud. Born in the Azores, emigrated to Canada 47 years ago. Huge Benfica fan. Our national team comes before Benfica for me though. Also a Santa Clara fan. Been posting in different Portuguese soccer forums since early 2000s. Coached youth soccer for about 12 years. My daughter was actually invited to play for Portugal's womens national team. I no longer coach for health reasons though. I do miss coaching though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in