EL: 1/4 final. Benfica x Newcastle - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2013, 22:23 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
EL: 1/4 final. Benfica x Newcastle

We hosted and beat Newcastle United today at Luz with an early goal from Cisse and a goal from Rodrigo, Lima and Cardozo. Lot's of missed opportunities for both sides with the English hitting the woodwork on more than one occasion.

Everything is open for the 2nd leg, the Brits need to score at least 2 but we've been known to score everywhere we play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2013, 20:46
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
We looked shaky on the counter and seemed ill prepared to account for Cisse's speed. However, the return leg will have us on doing the countering.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old April 6th, 2013, 04:57
Rising Star

Teams: Argentina
Benfica should've have put the tie to bed. Though, Benfica were superior throughout, NC had their chances.
Benfica will have plenty of chances at New Castle on the counter, hopefully they convert one or two.

This really could be Benfica's big season. Everything is in order for a double (League title & Europa).
Obviously, the league is not won yet, but a 4 points lead means that Benfica can even afford a defeat to Porto.
Well, in the Europa, only Chelsea should stand in Benfica's way, cos I consider Benfica superior to every other team that remains.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old April 11th, 2013, 18:49 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by somann View Post
Benfica should've have put the tie to bed. Though, Benfica were superior throughout, NC had their chances.
Benfica will have plenty of chances at New Castle on the counter, hopefully they convert one or two.

This really could be Benfica's big season. Everything is in order for a double (League title & Europa).
Obviously, the league is not won yet, but a 4 points lead means that Benfica can even afford a defeat to Porto.
Well, in the Europa, only Chelsea should stand in Benfica's way, cos I consider Benfica superior to every other team that remains.
I agree with you mate, nothing is won but we have a good chance to make things happen, just hope we can keep it up.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old April 11th, 2013, 21:58
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

What a goal! Great second half by Newcastle though. Benfica helped, but credit has to go to the team initiating play.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old April 11th, 2013, 22:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila View Post
What a goal! Great second half by Newcastle though. Benfica helped, but credit has to go to the team initiating play.
Yipppieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old April 11th, 2013, 23:06
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Juve/ITALIA
How was Benfica helped?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old April 11th, 2013, 23:09
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
such a shame i missed tonights match ( work ) , so arriving home and knowing that we made it throguh is simply amazing

we are in the semi's guys

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old April 11th, 2013, 23:16
Premier Player
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
How was Benfica helped?
He's referring to the blunder that led to Cisse's goal.

Slightly off topic: I was looking at the Euro coefficient this week. With Benfica advancing, Italy/France having their remaining clubs eliminated, and the points for the 08/09 season expiring - I think a move to 4th is a reality if SLB wins this tournament.

“Despite popular belief, golf is not a waste of time.”
-Opening remark in Goofy's "How to Play Golf"
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old April 12th, 2013, 04:15
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
How was Benfica helped?
I think you misunderstood.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old April 12th, 2013, 04:22
Xtratime Legend

Onwards Benfica!

May the Águia Vitória slay the ghosts of 2011 and that SF. :hopeful:

Œuvres complètes de Fikret Smiljanić
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old April 12th, 2013, 13:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo View Post
Onwards Benfica!

We drew Fener, let's hope Aguia Vitoria can lay the law down.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old April 12th, 2013, 15:56
Sportinguista
Premier Player

Teams: Sporting CP
Congrats on beating juggernauts like

Leverkusen Bordeaux and almighty Newcastle united

The real test comes
In amsterdam, fenerbache is doomed

"you deserved to be in a small cage and treated like the animals you are "

-Killa
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old April 12th, 2013, 21:01
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo View Post
Onwards Benfica!

thank u lobito

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2013, 14:42
Star Player

As a Newcastle fan I agree with this. Wish you the best of luck in the competition

http://www.tynetime.com/2013/04/12/b...r-european-tie

Benfica leave St.James’ Park with respect after European tie

It will take some time for Newcastle United fans to forget that 91st minute goal Salvio tapped home to well and truly end our European escapade. The moment the ball hit the net the home faithful put their head in their hands and a sense of realisation set in. Having dominated the most important period of the game and pressured the Benfica back four almost in submission, we just couldn’t find that elusive second goal. Our vigorous search for it meant we were left a little light at the back and after some quick exchanges in midfield by the Portuguese outfit Salvio the Argentinian latched on to a low ball into the box to send his side into the European semi-finals. Heartbreaking, tough to take, annoying, perhaps undeserving – all words that could be associated with Benfica’s progression to the next round, but at the end of the night George Jesus’ side left St. James’ Park with the best wishes of the Toon faithful.

I read a lot of great things about Benfica supporters last night. Their packed out allocation ruptured into ecstasy after Salvio’s goal, but throughout the game they were noisy; furiously supporting their team on a cold night at St. James’ Park. According to Unibet, Benfica are one of the favourites for the competition, and such support from their fans will be essential in their quest.

Before kick-off, Benfica president Luis Fillipe Vieira paid tribute to Sir Bobby Robson at his recently erected statue outside St.James’ park by laying a wreath, accompanied by the club’s manager, and other staff and fans.
A simple gesture, but something beautiful all the same. The gent that was Sir Bobby managed both of Benfica’s rivals: FC Porto & Sporting Lisbon. That very fact made the gesture from the president – who came to Tyneside and everyone else associated with Benfica – a very heart-warming one.

A lot of NUFC fans are hoping that Benfica actually go on to win the trophy and although Chelsea will likely be favourites for the tournament, support like Benfica’s and a gracious, respectful coach in George Jesus, no one would begrudge this particular team in red some silverware.

To conclude, it has been a great European journey. I think we bow out having given everything and it just turned out one of those ties where things did not come together as hoped. From Cissé hitting the post twice, Taylor handballing and Santon’s backpass – it just wasn’t to be. However, for me at least, there is not a huge feeling of ‘what might have been’.

Credit to Pardew, he threw the kitchen sink at them last night and maybe Ben Arfa would have popped one into the roof of the net a few months previous but it was not to be. Football can often be a cruel games folks, as NUFC fans, we know that too well.

Fair play to Benfica fans for coming to support their team and indeed for paying their respects to SBR. Best of luck to them in the next round of the competition, and perhaps we’ll face them in a couple of years, except hopefully we’ll progress instead!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2013, 14:45
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
I think you misunderstood.
Quote:
What?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2013, 14:47
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

i didnt know about that tribute, it was a nice gesture indeed, because although Bobby Robson was a rival coach while he was in portugal, he was very much respected by everyone here, from players, to the media to the fans, even the rival ones. He was always a true gentleman

thanks excalibur

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2013, 18:07
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
What?
I don't understand what's confusing you.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2013, 19:34
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
I don't understand what's confusing you.
I dont understand what you mean Benfica helped.

If you write Benfica helped then, its suspecting ref helped or Newcastle so shit it helped...what you mean how were they helped?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2013, 04:06 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
I dont understand what you mean Benfica helped.

If you write Benfica helped then, its suspecting ref helped or Newcastle so shit it helped...what you mean how were they helped?
He means Benfica helped by not doing what Benfica usually does, both NCU goals were defensive mistakes, yes NCU hit the wood a couple of times but Benfica should have put the game away.

In the end I would say that the better team won, even in St. James Park, the best chances of the match were Benfica's and NCU only "made it a game" because they were giving it all but once you do that you leave yourself vulnerable in the counter and that's how Benfica equalized.

Is this clear or is there any part that you might not understand?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in