2010-2011 Season in Review and what to change for 2011-2012 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 14:52 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
2010-2011 Season in Review and what to change for 2011-2012

We started the season with a new keeper who cost us some points, lost the season in the first 3 games but managed to secure a champions league spot.

Went to Porto and beat them 0-2 for the Cup Semifinal, yet manage to lose 1-3 at home even though it was with an offside goal and another ping pong style.

Won a Beer cup who no one cares about

Were very forgiving in the Europa league, could have realistically beaten PSV by 6 or 7 at home and had to suffer in the Netherlands to pass. Braga came along and we let them off the hook yet again, then one lucky header sends our season down the drain.

Who is to blame here? Coaching staff? Vieira? Rui Costa? Jorge Jesus?

I understand that the game vs Porto for the Portuguese cup was a tough loss with the offside and Falcao's ping pong goal but everything else has no excuse, not the ref that can make mistakes, not Roberto, not the coach, but all other games had crazy flaws, what do you think?

My finger has to point towards Saviola who has been horrible this season, missed two tap ins vs Braga.

Do speak.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 14:53 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

And let's add the 5-0 beatdown at the Estadio do Ladrao and the loss in the Supercup....
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 15:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

You didn't reinforce well enough last summer, only Salvio and maybe Gaitan were worthwhile additions.

The losses of Di Maria and Ramires were felt as your wings were so weak for most of the year.

No replacement for David Luiz either, neither of Jardel or Sidnei are very good.

Of course, Roberto is an extremely poor keeper who cost you points in every competition this year.

I don't like JJ, but this wasn't all that great of a squad he was handed this season. Risk of being even worse when your best player, Coentrao, is sold.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 15:57
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I've seen all games, more or less, so I'd say the main problem is that you guys had a problem in goal. Roberto didn't take his form at Zaragoza with him to Benfica and it hurt you guys, probably because the adjustment he had to do. He could've easily have lost his spot as well if he didn't make that penalty save a while back, I don't know why he's struggled so much in the air when he never really showed any clear problems in that aspect during his time at Zaragoza though. Not good enough, unfortunately.

Di María and Ramires were obviously a class above Salvio and Gaitán who were good, just not as good.

Jardel and Sidnei aren't good enough in my opinion, I'd probably start searching for a new CB-partner to Luisão.

EDIT: Basically what Josh said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrix
zoric man, do you have like 5 screens in your room streaming 7 channels while simultaneously following 10 livescore websites?

p
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoRiS_ThE_BuLLetDoDgeR View Post
ZORIC!!!

Feeling depressed about Kosovo? We still have ZORIC!!!

When someone asks for the most famous Serbian exports, you answer "Slivovica, Tesla i ZORIC!!!"
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 16:04
World Class Player

Stick to Jesus and everything's gonna be alright!

And sign Salvio!

Agora não, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 18:40 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

My thoughts were simple as well, Di Maria and Ramires left but I rate Gaitan higher than you guys so we got a replacement for Di Maria but not for the right side.

Salvio took a bit to get adjusted to us but eventually almost made us forget Ramires who in my oppinion made Javi Garcia look better than what he actually is.

Roberto, numbers speak for themselves, he has way more talent than Moreira or Julio Cesar but he also makes the dumbest of mistakes, I'm thinking that it'll only get better with age since he's fairly young for a keeper.

David Luiz, not the same David Luiz of last year who even though was great did make some mistakes that Luisao erased and didn't get credit for, Sidnei had a chance to take over his spot and it's clear that he's no DL, Jardel looked promising at times but he's also not a DL.

Saviola, not the same as last year, there were also times where he was playing lower in the field, get the ball and quickly get outpaced, we need a Franco Jara here who can dribble, has pace and doesn't give up on a ball.

Cardozo, not the same as last year either, but did score some goals and made it seem like we had the same player, I don't see him as bad a Saviola was but he could have easily killed the tie against Braga at home.

We need 11 Fabio Coentroes, I swear that if we had 11 of him we'd blow out even Barcelona (as long as Dani Alves didn't dive and get some of the Coentroes kicked out)
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 20:23
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
One of the reasons for Benfica's failure in winning more than the Lucílio Cup was the poor way in which JJ managed his squad. It is true that the quality and overall form of this year's lot of players was worst than the one of last season but his insistence in the same 11-12 players for almost the entire length of the season was a big mistake.

Still, the main reason for the failure, when compared to last year, was simply that Ricardo Costa was no longer at LPFP banning the main players of your title contenders for months.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 21:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis View Post
One of the reasons for Benfica's failure in winning more than the Lucílio Cup was the poor way in which JJ managed his squad. It is true that the quality and overall form of this year's lot of players was worst than the one of last season but his insistence in the same 11-12 players for almost the entire length of the season was a big mistake.

Still, the main reason for the failure, when compared to last year, was simply that Ricardo Costa was no longer at LPFP banning the main players of your title contenders for months.
I opened up this topic to discuss why this team dropped so much from last year and what could be done and you come on here bringing Ricardo Costa's like we owe anything to that clown which shows the stupidity that goes on in your head.

If you really think that we won last year due to Ricardo Costa then just do us a favor and let the previous post reflect your opinion and don't post in this thread again :thmbdown:
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 21:24
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

killa, come on dude... look at your signature and look at what you post in the other forums. Heck, your last post in the Porto forum was providing "proof" of referee conversations in replying to... a post about Cristian Rodriguez getting sold! It's the only thing you talk about in the Portuguese forums, so be lenient on others when they choose to do so as well.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 21:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
killa, come on dude... look at your signature and look at what you post in the other forums. Heck, your last post in the Porto forum was providing "proof" of referee conversations in replying to... a post about Cristian Rodriguez getting sold! It's the only thing you talk about in the Portuguese forums, so be lenient on others when they choose to do so as well.
I'm lenient, just stating that if he thinks we won due to Ricardo Costa then let it be his opinion and don't keep on posting the same thing here, his opinion is already stated.

And what's with my signature
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2011, 13:48
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Very true. A clear case of rock throwing in a glass house indeed.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2011, 14:31
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
Quote:
You didn't reinforce well enough last summer, only Salvio and maybe Gaitan were worthwhile additions.

The losses of Di Maria and Ramires were felt as your wings were so weak for most of the year.

No replacement for David Luiz either, neither of Jardel or Sidnei are very good.

Of course, Roberto is an extremely poor keeper who cost you points in every competition this year.

I don't like JJ, but this wasn't all that great of a squad he was handed this season. Risk of being even worse when your best player, Coentrao, is sold.
Agreed , you pretty much said it all

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2011, 03:04
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
Clearly more than one thing, but the biggest one of all is that Porto got significantly stronger with Vilas Boas, while we failed to adequately replace two key voids. Salvio came on too late in the season, but filled Di Maria's void adequately for that whole 1/3 of the season. But Gaitan is too similar to Salvio, and not so much the defensive presence that Ramires was, which placed a great deal of reliance on Garcia, who simply does not have the range to secure that defensive midfield by himself, which put undue pressure on the defense that was already missing David Luiz, which compounded by having a keeper who is as fundamentally sound as a Portista's dental hygiene.

At this level, the margin between excellence and not good enough is as thin as Pinto da Costa's honesty. You have to improve every year, not get worse or stand pat.

It'll help when that get that kid Fernandes from Argentina arrives this summer. But they absolutely need another world class trinco. Why not go to Turkey and get Manny back? Or were the bridge burned when he left? I can't remember...

Whoever. But it's gotta start there for next season.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2011, 10:19
Rising Star

Teams: Benfica, Portugal NT, Bradford City FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila View Post
Clearly more than one thing, but the biggest one of all is that Porto got significantly stronger with Vilas Boas, while we failed to adequately replace two key voids. Salvio came on too late in the season, but filled Di Maria's void adequately for that whole 1/3 of the season. But Gaitan is too similar to Salvio, and not so much the defensive presence that Ramires was, which placed a great deal of reliance on Garcia, who simply does not have the range to secure that defensive midfield by himself, which put undue pressure on the defense that was already missing David Luiz, which compounded by having a keeper who is as fundamentally sound as a Portista's dental hygiene.

At this level, the margin between excellence and not good enough is as thin as Pinto da Costa's honesty. You have to improve every year, not get worse or stand pat.

It'll help when that get that kid Fernandes from Argentina arrives this summer. But they absolutely need another world class trinco. Why not go to Turkey and get Manny back? Or were the bridge burned when he left? I can't remember...

Fernandez joined the squad in January, played two games as sub i think, not really impressing so far. Are you thinking of Nolito?
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2011, 13:54 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila View Post

Manny's situation in Turkey is similar to Salvio's here, he was loaned with a buy out clause at the end of the season, don't think the Turks will activate it though, also, he's one of those guys that can create problem at any minute and Valencia might ask for something along the neighborhood of 8Million Euro.

Napoli hasn't said anything about keeping Yebda, his buy out clause is around the 3Million Euro mark if I'm not mistaken
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2011, 13:56 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguia View Post
Fernandez joined the squad in January, played two games as sub i think, not really impressing so far. Are you thinking of Nolito?
I think people are counting too much on Nolito, from what i've seen he can play wing or any of the forward spots, very mobile but not someone we should rely on to get us goals.
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2011, 15:13
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Haven't you also signed Nuno Coelho from Academica on a free transfer?

His contract ends at the end of the season, and he had rejected Braga because terms were finalized with you guys.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2011, 21:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Haven't you also signed Nuno Coelho from Academica on a free transfer?

His contract ends at the end of the season, and he had rejected Braga because terms were finalized with you guys.

I think he signed, but I don't know much of him to be honest, he's not a starter but might add depth.
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2011, 21:26
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Not a starter for you guys, you mean? Maybe, but he's a damn solid player. Better than Ruben Amorim, for sure.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2011, 01:35 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Not a starter for you guys, you mean? Maybe, but he's a damn solid player. Better than Ruben Amorim, for sure.
No, not a started for Mars FC, if you think that he's better than Ruben Amorim then great, we could have used Ruben for much of the season which shows you how much we're lacking depth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in