PSL - Game 20 - D. Aves vs Benfica - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2007, 23:24 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: SL Benfica
PSL - Game 20 - D. Aves vs Benfica

The game just ended and we made it through with the 3 points. Nuno Gomes scored the only goal, in a very hard game and a poor performance by us. Still, it's these games that we must win, even we playing bad.
Katsouranis was our CB, and Derlei played in the middle. The greek was a perfect replacement, but Derlei kinda slowed us down.
A special mention to Quim, for saving a penalty in the first half.

We're in trouble regarding yellow cards. Petit, Simão and Katsouranis are all a card away from suspension, and the game against FC Porto is just 3 weeks away. Let's hope we can control ourselves, 'cause we can't allow to sit this guys down just yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2007, 23:35
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

what a terrible game tonight, very poor

and santos has a lot to be blamed for ...to start with, for choosing to play katsouranis as CB instead of the new kid...so david doesnt have any previous experience with us...how about katsouranis? has he ever played as CB for us this season? no...instead, our midfield suffered a lot from his absence...

but ok, we could have overcome his loss by playing joao coimbra

but no, santos decides that its enough having petit and karagounis for the midfield, with 4 players upfront...simao (whose position during almost the entire game was very hard to define..), nuno, miccoli and derlei...

at 1st it looked to me like we had a 4-3-3..but we never really did have that...instead it was mostly a 4-2-4...with obvious consequences: we were unable to control the midfield during most of the time

at last nuno (our best player tonight ) scores, and what does santos do? nothing...instead of the long due replacement of derlei for joao coimbra, he lets it go up until the last 10 mins of the game, when he decides to sub in paulo jorge...better than having derlei there but still not as good option as adding strengh to the midfield with joao

we were playing 11 men against 10 and being unable to hold the midfield lol

several players were below whats expected of them tonight, mostly miccoli, but even simao ...and derlei even if trying , he just cant play as a winger lol but santos is much to be blamed by the very poor game we had tonight

lets hope everyone learns from it...we got away with a deserved victory, but could and should have done a lot better and cant afford to play like this again

ah yes....lets not forget a big up to quim, for defending a penalty :thmbup:

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2007, 23:40 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Playing against 10 men it's a bit more than just plain math. Specially as the end of the game is nearing. You tend to relax, loosen the pressure (mainly by the man upfront, who feel they will get the ball eventually) and be content with defending.
It requires a very good attitude from the team, and we didn't have that, probably because Paris was already on their heads.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2007, 23:46
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

i know that playing against 10 doesnt mean an overwhelming advantage, but for once during the game we could have played with a better ball circulation, instead of throwing long balls like we did

we were really close to walk out with a tie tonight, and mostly after scoring

everyone, coach and players (most of them) have a lot of thinking to do after what happenned

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 00:08
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Well how can someone blame Fernando Santos when we don't have quality reserve players,god knows how is David Luiz!?

This thing of having to play with the same 11 game after game especialy with the uefa cup games take a lot of energy of the players.

In my opinion they are doing a amazing work.

Also Aves made the game of the year by far.

So in the end i don't understand your guys opinion,we can not simple do better then we are doing now,bring 5-6 quality players in next year and yeah then you guys can criticize this players,now no please.

Russian women

World volley champio
Vice olympic volley champion
World handball champion
European basket champion
Vice world basket champion
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 00:17 Thread Starter
Rising Star

We can do better, simply because we have done better just 6 days ago. Still, I think this was a one off.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 00:20
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
I think you guys are being too harsh on FS, the man sees what goes on during the week and he's known Katso for a long time so he knows what that particular player can do. Not the greatest game, but we got the 3 points and that was counted the most.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 00:35
World Class Player

As long as we win, the coach can't be all too wrong.
Viva Benfica!
Each team can win a match in which they play superior, but it's the great teams which make profit of their bad performances.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 00:38
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
Kats has played as a CB for AEK (Under Santos, Bajevic, Dumitrescu, etc) in emergency circumstances on several occassions. Same thing for the Greek NT.

*just sticking this in there :\

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 00:43
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

i think people are missing my point here...the problem is not katsouranis playing as CB, i know he can play there IF needed...the problem is nobody replacing him in the midfield lol

we were bitchified in the midfield, because during most of the time we played a 4-2-4 lol

also i think we have a problem when in a game against the last team in the standings, we dont field in the only substitute CB we have...if david luiz isnt good enough , he shouldnt have been bought, full stop

we were a mess tonight, tactically wise, and were lucky to get away with a win...

im the 1st one to compliment santos when he does well, and to defend him when i think he done whats possible...but tonight he screwed up, and i 'll say it just the same

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 00:58 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
if david luiz isnt good enough , he shouldnt have been bought, full stop
Well, we didn't bought him. He's on loan.

It's not the first time you get a signing in the last day of the market window just to shut the fans up and to keep them coming to the stadium.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 01:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gein
Well, we didn't bought him. He's on loan.

It's not the first time you get a signing in the last day of the market window just to shut the fans up and to keep them coming to the stadium.
Signing or not signing David Luiz on loan was not going to make or break the ticket sales of SLB. Come on, let's be honest here.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 01:11 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigoIsGod
Signing or not signing David Luiz on loan was not going to make or break the ticket sales of SLB. Come on, let's be honest here.
Make or break?
With Ricardo Rocha and Alcides out, and no one in the horizon, not signing anyone would mean the fans would be pissed off with the administration for cutting the chances for the rest of the season. Period. I've seen many disastrous January (and December) market windows to know how that affects the fans. Not all of them, of course, but many.
They are the same fans who look at each signing as a drug fix. A new hope that will solve all. They are the same kind of fans who decide to go the stadium based on momentum. If the team is doing good, they go. If not, fvck it.
And even the others (and the press, let's not forget this important part of the puzzle) would pick that up as soon as the results stopped appearing.

That's how the circus works.
David Luiz, André Luiz, Marco Ferreira... Fillers, who, for the most part, mean nothing to the coach.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 12:58
Premier Player

Teams: SL Benfica, Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
i think people are missing my point here...the problem is not katsouranis playing as CB, i know he can play there IF needed...the problem is nobody replacing him in the midfield lol

we were bitchified in the midfield, because during most of the time we played a 4-2-4 lol

also i think we have a problem when in a game against the last team in the standings, we dont field in the only substitute CB we have...if david luiz isnt good enough , he shouldnt have been bought, full stop

we were a mess tonight, tactically wise, and were lucky to get away with a win...

im the 1st one to compliment santos when he does well, and to defend him when i think he done whats possible...but tonight he screwed up, and i 'll say it just the same

C'Mon and thats Fernando Santos fault that we let go of Ricardo Rocha with no backup plan??? C'mon now. Santos fielded what was the sure fire team to win the game yesturday, and for all of your complaints let me remind you we did win. Being 4 points away from Porto, now is not the time to experiment and try out new players.

For all the crap FS gets, its easy to forget that we are 4 points away from the leaders, and have a good chance of winning a trophy in Europe. Not bad for someone coaching in his first season, in the toughest coaching job in the country
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 13:32
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

for the last time...it’s santos fault that we played 4-2-4 for almost the entire game, with several players out of position , and no need for that to happen, other than a coaching option

i find it hilarious how almost everyone ( with myself not included ) gets on santos back whenever we have a bad result , even if not by his fault , and when he does screw up tactically, like in this game, everyone defends him, just because we were lucky enough to have an inspired nuno gomes and quim....

I stick for the man more times than anyone else around here, becoz I believe most times he does what he can do with what he has, last night he did a bad job and ill point it out. I do the same with the players…play well I point it out, play bad I point it out as well

What im not gonna have is that “don’t bash santos “ talk at me just becoz his last nights bad judgements didn’t result in a loss or a tie

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 21:52
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
It's looking like a two-horse race now for the title. I'm not totally counting Sporting out but in terms of form Porto and Benfica are at another level right now. As a result, we can't slip and we need for Porto to slip as well (Hopefully against Sporting) when they meet us.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 21:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo
It's looking like a two-horse race now for the title.
Yes, we're on a horse indeed, but you guys are a donkey. p :smileani:
Attached Images

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 22:08
World Class Player

Guess who's first?
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 22:11
World Class Player

You shouldn't underestimate donkeys!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2007, 22:14
World Class Player

And once we're at funny animals, here's one off topic.

Just love that picture!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in