Bella Guttmann and the curse - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2006, 00:03 Thread Starter
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Futbol Club Barcelona
Bella Guttmann and the curse

Hi guys.

I am doing a thread about the history of the Spanish football and I found one of the most interesting stories in football's history, while I was doing a research about the performances of the Spanish clubs in Europe.

As you well know, you defeated Barcelona and Real Madrid in your 2 European Cups. I've read that Bella Guttmann was fired and he said his curse: "Benfica won't win an European Cup in 100 years".

I don't know how reliable is the story that I posted, since I found very few information in English or Spanish.

As the History of Football forum is new, perhaps some of you don't know it yet. I would appreciate your contribution in that thread about Benfica and Bella Guttmann. Personally, I'm very interested in this story and what really happened. Much better from a benfiquista point of view.

I know that the curse thing is a stupidity, I don't believe in these things. But the story is amazing anyway and I'd like to know what happened, the reasons of his words, why he was fired (or did he resigned?). Everything you can tell us about it, please tell us in this thread (link below).

Probably, it's a sad story for you guys, but it's still part of the story of your wonderful club.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.xtratime.org/forum/showth...35#post4690135
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2006, 00:27
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Good job Koeman4!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2006, 01:00
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
is it 100 years? coz i heard it was...ever again!!!!!!! excelent news

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2006, 05:15
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Crap that explains it all

O GLORIOSO

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2006, 14:56
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Sport Lisboa e Benfica
I've always heard of that story growing up, but i was told that Benfica wouldn't win another cup this (20th) century. If what I heard is right then we shouldn't worry about it, if it's 100 years then it was Bella's ghost that told the ref not to blow the whistle for a penalty when we met last year

Truth it's now harder for a team with less money to Win a huge event such as the Champions league since there's more teams now and you really play the best, not a draw like the Champions cup once was.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2006, 01:52
World Class Player

Oh yes, that miserable curse, which of all coaches the one we should admire most has left us behind ... back when Benfica held it's centenary, sportspaper "Record" broadcasted a special edition about Benfica's century in which Bela Guttmann is quoted as follows: "Sem mim, o Benfica nunca mais será campeão de Europa"... seems like the worst of possibilities holds to be truth.. well, in the end it's just words and I refuse to believe there's something about it except the coincidence that Benfica indeed ever since failed in the final at best.
When I say "Benfica will gain european silverware again!" who knows .. I can be a prophet one day.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2006, 12:49
Rising Star

Teams: Portugal, FC Porto
Actually, IIRC what he said was that Benfica would never win the cup without him again, and not in 100 years another portuguese team would win back to back titles in the competition. So far Benfica hasn't won another and despite Porto having won 2, it wasn't back to back. So the curse is still on.
When Benfica qualified to the 1990 final with Milan in Vienna, Eusébio even went to visit Guttmann's tomb, precisely in Vienna, and asked him to lift the curse. But it seems that the old hungarian is stubborn.

Another funny story about Guttmann is when he signed for Benfica in 1959 coming from Porto. Guttmann's love for money was legendary and when they were negotiating the contract, Guttmann demanded a special bonus to be added for each trophy he could win: x for the league, y for the cup and so on. And at some point he said he wanted a considerable ammount to be added for the champions cup. I think it was 20 "contos" (20000 escudos). The Benfica directors laughed with the crazy idea of winning such an important trophy. One replied "Why don't you put 100 instead!?", a sugestion Guttmann immediatly accepted, and for which he'd be payed less than 2 years later.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 21:53
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier
When I say "Benfica will gain european silverware again!" who knows .. I can be a prophet one day.
thats the spirit !!!!!!!!

thats the spirit

and i'll shall add...."this season"

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 22:24
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
thats the spirit !!!!!!!!

thats the spirit

and i'll shall add...."this season"
of course! you might inherit the silver cuttlery of Veiga's house in Cascais...that is if he doesn't try to sell it first...to you.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in