Tiago Gomes - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2006, 15:23 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Tiago Gomes

Hullo, my team Hearts has been linked with another of your players, Tiago Gomes, who I believe is a left back. So far we've taken Fyssas, Bruno Aguiar and Tiago Costa from you.

Can you tell me anything about Tiago Gomes?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2006, 23:18
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

He's hot..

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 04:45
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Loads of potential, but hasn't shown any of it for us.

O GLORIOSO

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2006, 12:39
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster
Hullo, my team Hearts has been linked with another of your players, Tiago Gomes, who I believe is a left back. So far we've taken Fyssas, Bruno Aguiar and Tiago Costa from you.

Can you tell me anything about Tiago Gomes?

Thanks
He was a great player when he was 16.
He then won the U-17 Euro for Portugal but after that it has been just downhill for him.
I personally think that has something to do with what is the current reality of Benfica's youth department but the truth is, he is a lost talent.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2006, 13:40
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
tbh i never rated him as high as u guys seem to have to.....im sorry, havent seen much of him to justify all the "great potential" label everyone seems to stick on the guy, and maybe thats why im not expecting much from him now

at 15, 16, 17, players are still very young, and some will develop to become excelent, some will remain average, and some better forget about a professional career

thing is we have this obssession with discovering new talents, and sooner than we should, start labelling them.

regarding benfica alone, in fairly recent times, i can think of the likes of verissimo, bruno bastos, bruno caires, bruno aguiar, pedro henriques, hugo leal, and i could go on

and no, its not only with benfica's youth, happens the same with sporting and with porto. In fact probably the best example i can recall of is dani

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2006, 14:02
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
at 15, 16, 17, players are still very young, and some will develop to become excelent, some will remain average, and some better forget about a professional career

thing is we have this obssession with discovering new talents, and sooner than we should, start labelling them.
What you call an "obssession" others call scouting and it is one of the main ingredients of modern football. Football more and more needs young players to come up and perform well and although that is not always a good thing the fact is that the football world is today full of very young talents and that is also due to people that spend many hours watching them play while they are still little kids.

Portugal has a brilliant tradition in youth football and it is because of that that we are where we are in the world stage of football right now, higher than ever in our history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
regarding benfica alone, in fairly recent times, i can think of the likes of verissimo, bruno bastos, bruno caires, bruno aguiar, pedro henriques, hugo leal, and i could go on

and no, its not only with benfica's youth, happens the same with sporting and with porto. In fact probably the best example i can recall of is dani
All those examples are good ones and just support what was said before. Benfica's youth policy is in a wreck and that is linked with the options of your club's directors for the last 10 years.

15 or 20 years ago Benfica had a brilliant school of young players and today the panorama is absolutely disastrous.

You need to be really distracted, or simply blind, to focus on Dani as an example of a failure. For one Dani I could give you 20 opposite cases.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2006, 15:47
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
nuno...i only gave benfica's players as example but do u want other clubs too?

i think it was clear i only gave my team's on purpose :rollani:

and yes dani is probably the best example i can think of

but u had so many more, lourenço, delfim, santamaria...man, i cant recall them all seriously.

point is....we do tend to exagerate the players potential at the age of 16-18.....and if they dont fulfill our overhyped expectations by the age of 19-20, we ditch them away...which is just as wrong, as some players are slow developpers, and we just quit on them too early

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in