Quim 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2006, 19:14 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Goalkeeper 06/07

Who is going to be our #1? Hopefully FS won't pull a Koeman and have to start all of them at some point until figuring it out

Now battle it out!

O GLORIOSO

Last edited by O Glorioso; July 14th, 2006 at 20:47.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2006, 19:22
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Glorioso
Your probably saying to yourselves, "OG has lost it" but no my friends I'm dead serious. I believe he has more potential than Moreira

Now battle it out!
You're sniffing glue....
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2006, 20:12
Rising Star

Teams: SL Benfica
And you believe that based on what, by the way? The only reason he stepped up last season was because Bruno Costa was injured. He wasn't even called this season. He never made an impression on the youth teams. Ditto for the NTs.

I'm not a fan of Moreira, not by a long shot... but Neréu? Hell no.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2006, 20:13 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

I just really liked what I saw of him in those 3 or so games he was in goal for us. The kid was thrown into a Champions League game and he was literally training with the B team the other day :dielaugh: You've got to say he did pretty well.

Gein, that is true, the only reason he was brought up was because Costa was injured. However, I doubt it ever crossed his mind that Quim would have gone out in that match against Villarreal and he would make his debut for the first team in a UEFA Champions League match. So considering the situation he was in, he did pretty well for himself.

O GLORIOSO

Last edited by O Glorioso; July 14th, 2006 at 20:20.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2006, 20:18
Rising Star

Are you sure of those memories OG? He made quite a few blunders and costed us a defeat against Villareal at home because of one of those ridiculous mistakes. And it was not the only one.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2006, 20:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gein
Are you sure of those memories OG? He made quite a few blunders and costed us a defeat against Villareal at home because of one of those ridiculous mistakes. And it was not the only one.
I'm also sure that Moreira had just as many blunders in the few matches he played in. I remember how shaky he was against Man Utd. He didn't cost us that match, our defense should have done better to contain Riquelme on that goal your talking about. Riquelme hit a real good low shot and someone should have been there to clear the rebound. I'm just not convinced at all with Moreira. I've seen him play well and then turn into Senhor Frango.

O GLORIOSO

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2006, 20:46 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Alright I've decided to make things a bit more interesting, since my original thread bombed

O GLORIOSO

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2006, 20:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo
You're sniffing glue....
I'm curious to know your opinion on Moreira? Could you share

O GLORIOSO

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2006, 21:29
Premier Player
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
Barring injury, or a serious loss of form, they will start the season with Moretto.

If Moreira is healthy and looking good in camp, I wouldn't be surprised if they loaned or sold Quim. I like Quim, but he is a keeper who should get first team work. Sitting behind Moretto is not optimal for him or the club.

As For Moreira vs. Neru: Moreira has shown that he can be a first team keeper when healthy. His performance vs. Sporting at the Avalade two years ago is one of the best performance any Benfica keeper has had since Prudohmme (sp?). I don't know what his upside is, but he moved well and had good enough size.

“Despite popular belief, golf is not a waste of time.”
-Opening remark in Goofy's "How to Play Golf"
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2006, 21:32
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

quim or moreira...either one of them...i still find quim a better keeper, with moreira coming second ( he still doesnt convince me on the high balls, but i like him)

3rd keeper for me is nereu. I liked the few games i seen of him. yes he made one...one blunder...but he also made a couple awesome defenses, and overall looked very calm, sure of himself. Like him

moretto should be sold, loaned, packed and sent to cambodia...any other suggestions?

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2006, 23:48
Star Player

I think Moreira will have a bright future if we bet on him, but we REALLY have to bet on him because he won't progress if he doesn't play.

I think Quim is a safe keeper but far from being at the level of the greatest we've had in the past.

About Moretto, i think he doesn't have the conditions to stay any longer at this club. The fans will not tolerate any mistakes.

Rui Neréu? Be serious...
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2006, 01:16
Rising Star

Teams: Benfica, Portugal NT, Bradford City FC
Why do we tolerate the mistakes that Moreira and Nereu made and yet the mistakes Moretto made mean he is not good enough? :s
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2006, 01:18
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguia
Why do we tolerate the mistakes that Moreira and Nereu made and yet the mistakes Moretto made mean he is not good enough? :s
Same thing goes with Beto, Marcel, etc...
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2006, 01:31
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
quim or moreira...either one of them...i still find quim a better keeper, with moreira coming second ( he still doesnt convince me on the high balls, but i like him)

3rd keeper for me is nereu. I liked the few games i seen of him. yes he made one...one blunder...but he also made a couple awesome defenses, and overall looked very calm, sure of himself. Like him

moretto should be sold, loaned, packed and sent to cambodia...any other suggestions?
,i will say that Moretto should go to Laos instead!p
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2006, 01:33
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Glorioso
I'm curious to know your opinion on Moreira? Could you share
Moreira is experienced, young, and I think he's had time to reflect, think, and understand how much more of a general his has to be back there. Nereu is green and still is wet behind the ears. He can learn from Quim & Moreira. Plus, we need to bet on the yougster not continue to mess with his confidence by having him always on the bench. Let's not forget he was our third choice keeper in 2004.

As for Moretto, I agree with Inacio. Rack him, pack him, and stack him and send him all the way to Cambodia. p
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2006, 01:41
Rising Star

I find it funny that you guys wanna get rid of the only keeper that can hold on to a ball on a cross. Both Moreira and Quim, when they have the rare guts to leave the goal line, and manage to not miss the ball, the best they can do is smack it away.
And this is not an experience thing. It's a school thing. Neither of them have it. They're the typical portuguese keeper: great reflexs, good on 1vs1 but suck at everything that involves keeper specific techniques.
Compare this guys to a lot of the keepers we saw on Euro sub21 and you'll see what I mean.

With this, I'm not saying the Moretto is the keeper we need. In fact, I think none of the 3 is, or ever will be, good enough for Benfica, but if the brazilian can get his act together and cool down, he's the best of the 3.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2006, 02:17
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

if i can get my act together, im better than all of them behind the goal lol

morretto is good with high balls?

u have to be kidding me...as he has failed many times on high balls, giving out blunders on high balls, low balls, sidekick balls, a large variety really, he doesnt seem to be picky

more...he has one terrible default...he accuses his colleagues ( or the grass or god knows who or what else) of his own blunders...

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2006, 02:28
Rising Star

He also got to balls that both Moreira or Quim would never even dream of. Moretto's problem is in his head. That can be overcomed, in principle. The other guys shortcomings are there for the rest of their life, I'm afraid.

But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, and see how the season goes.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2006, 09:23
World Class Player

I've always admired Quim and still do so, he's one of those goalkeepers who always do a decent job. He doesn't save the unsaveables as Moretto sometimes does but therefor he doesn't commit stupid mistakes on the other hand.
But actually I fear his chances at the club are rare, even with Fernando Santos. There were rumours of him returning to Braga the other day. Anyone, who lately heard more about that?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2006, 16:32
Rising Star

Sp. Braga signed another keeper, so I'm guessing that door is closed. Benfica is still trying to get Miguelito from Nacional, who just lost Hilário to Chelsea and Diego was about to leave, so...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in