Official: Katsouranis - 4 years in Benfica - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2006, 18:39 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: SL Benfica
Official: Katsouranis - 4 years in Benfica

Finally, it has come to an end. Former AEK midfielder, signed with Benfica. 4 years. Presentation is today, at 18h GMT.

slbenfica.pt

Last edited by Gein; June 22nd, 2006 at 20:50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2006, 22:05
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: HELLAS, AEK, Srbija, Ukraine
Well congratulations and good luck to Kosta at Benfica.

AEK and Benfica will play a friendly on August 1 in Athens as part of the deal and as a sendoff for Kats.

Our captain.

To pio omorfo pragma sto kosmo einai na agapas tin AEK!
Det Vackraste i den har varlden, ar att alska AEK!
Самая прекрасная вещь на свете, это любить АЕК!
La plus belle chose dans le monde est l'amour pour l'AEK!
La cosa piu' bella nel' mondo e' di amare l'AEK!
Dünya'da en güzel şey, AEK aşkı.
A legszebb dolog a világon az AEK iránti imádat.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2006, 23:04
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Katsouranis joins Santos at Benfica
Thursday, 22 June 2006

Greek international Konstantinos Katsouranis has followed coach Fernando Santos to SL Benfica after signing a four-year deal with the Portuguese Liga outfit.

Mutual appreciation
The 27-year-old midfielder has worked under Santos for the last two seasons at AEK Athens FC and arrives at the Estádio da Luz just a month after the coach. "I chose Benfica because I know the coach very well and he knows me," he explained. "Benfica are a great club and I am fulfilling the opportunity of a lifetime by signing for such a big club."

Fond memories
The player will have fond memories of his new home, the Estádio da Luz, where he played a crucial part in Greece's triumph at UEFA EURO 2004™. But he could make his debut in the more familiar surroundings of the Athens Olympic stadium after the teams agreed to play a friendly on 1 August. Katsouranis' loss will be sorely missed by AEK, for whom he scored 29 goals in 110 league games after joining from Panahaiki GC in 2002.

©uefa.com 1998-2006. All rights reserved.

O GLORIOSO

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2006, 23:49
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Finaly! p ,so who is the next greek player?p
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2006, 00:14
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus
Well congratulations and good luck to Kosta at Benfica.

AEK and Benfica will play a friendly on August 1 in Athens as part of the deal and as a sendoff for Kats.

Our captain.
What can we expect from Katsouranis?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:06
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Quote:
Originally Posted by o_bEnFiQuIsTa
What can we expect from Katsouranis?
I'd like to ask the same question. Would any Greek fan be able to tell us how he has been over the past 2 years since Euro? We obviously pursued him very hard, so I'm anticipating a good record of him.

O GLORIOSO

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:26
Star Player

Yea pretty much what Reaper said Im sure he'd do well for Benfica, but this move could also help Karagounis play to his potential for you guys
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:35
World Class Player

I hope he will do well with the team :thmbup:

Agora não, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:15
Legend
Legend

Teams: Inter
Is this a free transfer?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:31
Xtratime Legend

No, 2.5 million euros.

Great transfer for Benfica. Katsouranis is a very good player. He is versatile as he can play both in defence and in midfield, in many functions (he can be a pure defencive midfielder but also have a more organising goal), he has a knack for scoring lots of goals from midfield or headers from set pieces and is also a leader. For 2.5 million euros he's a bargain. Last year he wasn't great but it was obvious he had his mind in other things.

Much better than Petit in my opinion.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:53
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!
Much better than Petit in my opinion.

No need to rate our pitbull's abilities to make your countryman appear in a brighter light
Petit is one of or most important players and so not without reason.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:54
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier

No need to rate our pitbull's abilities to make your countryman appear in a brighter light
It has nothing to do with him being my countryman. Fyssas is my countryman too and you know my opinion about him.

Quote:
Petit is one of or most important players and so not without reason.
But Katsouranis is better, you'll see.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:56
World Class Player

Well, Fyssas scored the goal that made Benfica Cupwinner in 2004

BTW: This is nothing against Katsouranis, but I just don't like the thought of somebody taking Petit's place in the team, and if it was Essien, Edmilson, Essien or Makelele... there must be a posibility of them both playing together. Petit is the soul of that Benfica team, his will and fighting spirit are essential.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2006, 16:01
Star Player

Katsouranis is one of ours now and if he's better than Petit, which i don't believe, then that's great for Benfica. I want the best to play, not the ones i like the most.

It's a bit difficult to guess who will be starting this year since we don't even know what tactic Fernando Santos will choose. We'll have to wait a few more weeks to get an idea.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2006, 16:02
Premier Player
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier
Well, Fyssas scored the goal that made Benfica Cupwinner in 2004
Hey, that tied the score! Plus, it was a pretty sweet run that lead to it. No need to knock it!

So Benfica has three smokers with Santos, Kasta, and Rui. Who will step up and be their fourth?

“Despite popular belief, golf is not a waste of time.”
-Opening remark in Goofy's "How to Play Golf"
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2006, 16:37 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXP103
Hey, that tied the score! Plus, it was a pretty sweet run that lead to it. No need to knock it!

So Benfica has three smokers with Santos, Kasta, and Rui. Who will step up and be their fourth?
Petit, Nuno Gomes... take your pick.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2006, 00:43
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

this is great news:thmbup:

been away all week long and its the kind of novelties a fan deserves

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old June 26th, 2006, 18:10
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
Santos smokes a pack a day. Expect to see him light one up on the sidelines when the going gets tough on the pitch (yes he did smoke during matches).

In other news you guys are also interested in our #1 striker Lymberopoulos, and one of our top CB's Cirillo.

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old June 26th, 2006, 19:56
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covert
In other news you guys are also interested in our #1 striker Lymberopoulos, and one of our top CB's Cirillo.
About the striker, Fernando Santos in an interview said that he was interested in him, but not anymore. About Cirillo, don't think our papers have mentioned him yet, but i highly doubt we're after a CB. With Luisão, Anderson, Ricardo Rocha and Alcides it would be stupid to spend money on another player.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2006, 14:13
Star Player

Chainho
"Katsouranis é fantástico"

O novo camisola 17 dos encarnados merece rasgados elogios de Chainho, jogador que já actuou na Grécia. O actual atleta do Nacional considera Katsouranis o melhor trinco grego, realçando a capacidade do médio helénico de jogar em diferentes posições no centro do terreno
MARCO GONÇALVES

Fernando Santos exigiu a contratação de Katsouranis desde o momento em que assinou contrato com o Benfica, e os responsáveis do clube da Luz tudo fizeram para garantir a aquisição desejada. O médio grego é um dos elementos fundamentais na estrutura que o novo treinador encarnado quer montar para a temporada 2006/07, merecendo grandes elogios de Chainho, futebolista luso que já actuou na Grécia, ao serviço do Panathinaikos.

O médio português não esconde a sua admiração por Katsouranis, apontando o médio como um dos jogadores de maior qualidade da Grécia: "Katsouranis é o melhor trinco grego. Pode jogar em todas as posições no meio-campo e marca sete, oito golos por época. É um jogador fantástico", começa por afirmar o actual atleta do Nacional, que já trabalhou com Fernando Santos no Estrela da Amadora, no FC Porto e no Panathinaikos.

Chainho acredita que "o Benfica acertou" na contratação de Katsouranis, reconhecendo que "ter um jogador com características de trinco que marque tantos golos é uma mais-valia", o que, na sua opinião, "terá pesado, também, na opção por Katsouranis".

O futebolista do Nacional já actuou na Grécia, ao serviço do Panathinaikos, tendo sido então orientado pelo novo treinador do Benfica. Chainho lembra que Fernando Santos "gosta bastante de jogar em 4-3-3", mas o técnico estuda também a possibilidade de colocar os encarnados a jogar em 4-4-2. O médio não reconhece nenhum sistema preferido do novo camisola 17 das águias, sublinhando, porém, que Katsouranis "é um jogador capaz de se adaptar a diferentes esquemas e que se equilibra bastante bem na equipa". E não só: "Pelas suas características, vai adaptar-se bem a Portugal."

"É a bússola da equipa"

Apesar de as qualidades defensivas de Katsouranis serem bastante reconhecidas, Chainho destaca também a capacidade do médio helénico de ajudar o seu ataque: "É um jogador que se desdobra no terreno e que sabe sair a jogar da defesa. É muito bom no capítulo do passe." Por isso, o futebolista do Nacional considera Katsouranis "crucial no jogo da sua equipa". "É a bússola da equipa. Foi-o no AEK e na Grécia, no Europeu. É ele que mexe tudo", frisa.

Enquanto esteve na Grécia, Chainho teve oportunidade de actuar em alguns dos grandes clássicos do futebol grego, frente ao AEK e ao Olympiacos, tendo mesmo defrontado o novo reforço encarnado. O médio luso não acredita, por isso, que Katsouranis sinta a pressão de envergar a camisola do Benfica, uma vez que está já habituado aos grandes palcos. "Era titular numa das melhores equipas gregas e foi campeão europeu, por isso julgo que não vai sentir a pressão. Este factor já não pesa tanto e, apesar de não ser fácil jogar numa equipa como o Benfica, a pressão na Grécia também é enorme. Julgo que não vai ter problemas", afirma.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in