Official: Fernando Santos is the new Benfica coach. - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 22:20 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: SL Benfica
Official: Fernando Santos is the new Benfica coach.

Well, it's official now, and comes as a surprise for most of us, including me. A litle bird whispered this name a few days ago, but I just didn't believe it.

Oh well, I guess it's good that the issue is resolved, so not to drag for the next weeks since we start the season early.

He won't get the same benefit of the doubt that Koeman or Trap got, that's for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 22:33
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
To be honest, when i heard it at 8 pm i wasn't exactly thrilled because i was expecting it to be Eriksson.

I'm pretty sure he won't have much time to start winning because our fans are like that with portuguese managers. Only the foreigners are good with that one exception everyone knows.

Fernando Santos is no tactical genious, but he surely knows our squad and league better than the managers that could have signed. If he is given time, i'm pretty sure he will succeed.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 23:23
World Class Player

Wow number one on my wishlist signed a lost son returns home! Força Fernando Santos! Good luck at Benfica!

Agora não, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 23:34
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier
Wow number one on my wishlist signed a lost son returns home! Força Fernando Santos! Good luck at Benfica!
nice one Bier! he was also number one on my wishlist for you...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 23:45
World Class Player

Wait and see what he can do with a club he actually loves!

Agora não, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 23:55
Xtratime Legend

You're gonna need these.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 23:58 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Yeah, he's not known for spetacular football, but after a year with Trap and another with Koeman, I don't think will bother with that.

Aslong as he doesn't fill the squad with DMs, like he used to, things might work at some level.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 23:59
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!

You're gonna need these.

bwahahahahahahahaahah :dielaugh:

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 00:01
Xtratime Legend

For the past two years he played 4-3-3 with AEK. Put everyone to sleep, got outcoached in every single big derby but fluked his way into the CL this season on set pieces. And then AEK fired him because they didn't think he was doing a good job.

I wouldn't be happy if I was a Benfica fan, but then, Portugal is his home country so his reputation and his style might be different.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 00:06 Thread Starter
Rising Star

How did that 433 worked? 2 DMs or 1? Pure wingers? And do you, and the fans, feel that it was his choice or was forced to play like that due to the squad he had?
Thanks.
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 00:14
Xtratime Legend

Three pure defencive midfielders in midfield, one of them sitting in front of the defence all the time. Sometimes he did put a play-maker but usually it was 3 destructors. Up front there were 2 pure wingers on the flanks and an attacking midfielder/forward (imagine someone like Totti) in the middle. Not even one striker. And it was his choice. In his first season he didn't have a pure striker but the club purchased him one in the summer and one more in January but he never ever used either of them.

The final drop was in a derby where he played 4-5-1 with only one WINGER up front (imagine playing Quaresma on his own up front). I think that was the day AEK decided to do away with him.

Having said that, he didn't do a bad job for AEK results-wise. But noone was convinced because they played terrible football and were relying on set pieces only. They basically fluked it.
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 00:35 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Thanks AMOROSO!
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 00:41
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
I can't believe I'm going to be saring at that horse face, John Kerry wannabe for an entire season.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 01:09
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
Amo we actually played 4-5-1 all season long. The 3 dm tactic was only used in our Derby loss to PAO and the 2nd loss to OSFP. Regardless that lineup was VERY BAD due mainly to the fact that our wingers cant cross for shit. When they did get a good one off though Lymb was usually able to finish it...

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 03:41
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Thank you Viera for the surprise. Wasn't he sacked by Sporting a couple of years ago after a couple of months?

O GLORIOSO

post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 03:43
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gein
How did that 433 worked? 2 DMs or 1? Pure wingers? And do you, and the fans, feel that it was his choice or was forced to play like that due to the squad he had?
Thanks.
It was mainly due to the squad he had at his disposal. In short, we suck... Then again he didint do so hot when he had a 100x better team back at his first stint with us.

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!
post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 03:55
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

im reading the news only now, but funny enough while talking to friends at dinner, i did say: well....the way i see it...i think we will either get sven or fernando...one of the two will be our coach for sure.....i was hoping for sven of coz lol

well, he's not my fav coach, but tbh after koeman anything is better

its not the "brinde", but its not the fava either

he didnt do a bad job in our league before he left, and he did make a good job during his 1st spell in AEK ( according to many fans comments at the time), so i think there are no reasons to be fearful.

the positive side is that he feels the club, knows the league and the pressure that comes with coaching benfica , and he is not involved in the WC , so he will have time to prepare the team, have a word on the players that will leave and on the ones that will join the squad....so, rationally speaking, it is basically the right thing to do.

anyways, i dont think we will be seeing the 3 DMs again, koeman is gone and so is that pathetic option

on the 4-5-1......its the perfect tactic for us imo...we have the players for it, and surely played better and had better results with it than with the totally inadequate 4-3-3.

4-5-1, changing to 4-4-2, is what we have to play

ps: bier...im surprised u didnt foresee this in your earlier edition of Record

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 03:58
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

btw ( and taking the opportunity of having greek posters following this thread), we had some rumours here of Beto being followed by a greek club....any idea if its true or not? or which club?

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 07:35
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: HELLAS, AEK, Srbija, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
btw ( and taking the opportunity of having greek posters following this thread), we had some rumours here of Beto being followed by a greek club....any idea if its true or not? or which club?
Not heard that one yet. Lovenkrands and Gronkjaer to Panathinaikos, as well as Ze Reberto and Carlos to Olympiakos but no Beto as far as I've read.

:rollani:

Anyhow, please understand Santos was a wuss at AEK because of our crappy lineup and low budget. I'm sure with more money and better players at Benfica he will be a tiger.

To pio omorfo pragma sto kosmo einai na agapas tin AEK!
Det Vackraste i den har varlden, ar att alska AEK!
Самая прекрасная вещь на свете, это любить АЕК!
La plus belle chose dans le monde est l'amour pour l'AEK!
La cosa piu' bella nel' mondo e' di amare l'AEK!
Dünya'da en güzel şey, AEK aşkı.
A legszebb dolog a világon az AEK iránti imádat.
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 11:31
Xtratime Legend

I doubt it. Santos is inept as a tactician. You don't need better players to realise that playing with Lakis alone up front you don't stand a chance to score. Or you don't need better players to know that sometimes using two strikers is a good idea... AEK made so much fuss about getting their area striker, and when they got him Santos NEVER played him. Ok, Kapetanos sucks but it was HIS choice.

I doubt any Greek team has interest in Beto. The only two which can afford him are Olympiakos and Panathinaikos and Olympiakos has better central midfielders than him while PAO won't spend any money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in