Rui Costa ponders retirement - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old April 21st, 2006, 05:40 Thread Starter
Rookie

Rui Costa ponders retirement

Rui Costa is thinking of retirement i hope he doesnt do it until he plays one more year at Benfica

https://www.xtratime.org/forum

Last edited by O Glorioso; April 22nd, 2006 at 05:51.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old April 21st, 2006, 13:19
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
Of course he wouldn't mind playing for Benfica for another year, he doesn't play regular football for years. No thanks.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:50
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
You have to relax there buddy, please don't advertise. If you wish to post a thread regarding a story, post a direct link.

O GLORIOSO

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2006, 06:08
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Rui Costa wants Milan answers Friday 21 April, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manuel Rui Costa has told Milan to underline their faith in his abilities or allow him to join another club.

The Portuguese ace is growing frustrated with his bench role at the San Siro as Brazilian ace Kaka continues to be handed the fantasista shirt.

Now he’s urged the outfit to make their intentions clear regarding his status at the club after another campaign in the shadows at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza.

“I have great faith in myself and I’m convinced that I can help Milan,” he said. “However, [boss Carlo] Ancelotti and [chief Adriano] Galliani need to be sure too.

“I still have one year left on my contract and I want to know whether they still believe in me at this club.

“I don’t like the sensation of being a burden or a player who people don’t rate. That’s why I left the national side.

“If the team don’t have faith in me then I think it is only right that I consider another solution for myself.

“There are two roads to go down. If I no longer think I’m up to it then I’ll quit. Otherwise I would like to return to either Benfica or Fiorentina.”

The classy playmaker hit the headlines in his home country while at Benfica where he caught the eye of the Viola.

He joined Milan in 2001 after the Tuscan club tried to clear rising debts.

channel4

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2006, 08:22
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Rui Costa hints at retirement Thursday 27 April, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manuel Rui Costa has been linked with Fiorentina and Benfica, but the Milan man has hinted he could hang up his boots instead.

“I have been considering my future for some time. I have another three Serie A games to play with Milan and will concentrate on them before making a decision,” said the 34-year-old.

“Zinedine Zidane quitting does make you think, as I agree that a player who can no longer live up to his standards should bow out gracefully. It’s a time that arrives for everyone."

The Portuguese international was part of the Golden Generation along with Luis Figo, but has been pushed out of the Rossoneri squad by Kaka, making just 22 Serie A appearances this season.

“Zidane is one of the greatest talents football has seen over the last 10 years, but he has decided to go at the right time, as if he doesn’t enjoy himself anymore and isn’t able to maintain those standards people have come to expect, it’s the best course of action.”

Rui Costa was a second half substitute at the Nou Camp last night, but the 0-0 draw wasn’t enough to knock Barcelona out of the Champions League semi-finals.

“The goal in the first leg weighed on us and so did the disallowed goal here. I think Milan proved over the 180 minutes that they were a great side.”

Like his teammates and Coach Carlo Ancelotti, Rui Costa thinks the game might’ve gone differently if Andriy Shevchenko’s goal hadn’t been controversially disallowed.

“If the goal had stood, I’m sure the very least we would’ve done was reach extra time. Although it shouldn’t have been ruled out, I prefer not to think about these things, as they only make you bitter.”

channel4

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 05:29
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Rui Costa awaits Benfica sign Saturday 20 May, 2006

Manuel Rui Costa admits he doesn’t know whether he’ll stay at Milan next season, as he awaits an offer from Benfica.

“I haven’t had any signs from Benfica and I cannot honestly say that everything is fine,” confessed the Portuguese veteran.

“The only thing I can say for certain right now is that I have one more year to run on my contract with Milan.”

Rui Costa became the Rossoneri’s most expensive ever signing in 2001 when he completed a £27m move from Fiorentina.

Although he proved instrumental in their 2003 Champions League winning campaign, ‘Rui’ has struggled to find space in the side since Kaka’s arrival, making just 25 Serie A appearances this term.

“Milan are not any old club, which is why I have to think long and hard before I make any decision on my future,” he added.

The 34-year-old has hinted at retirement this summer or a return to his beloved Benfica, which he left for Fiorentina in 1994, to finish his career.

“I am flying back to Lisbon for my holidays and while I’m there I will give the club my compliments for the results they have achieved.”

channel4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in