Round 20: Benfica - Sporting: one challenger less - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 11:48 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Round 20: Benfica - Sporting: one challenger less

Here's my line-up-wishlist (I know Koeman will not agree upon every pick of mine) of the team to beat Sporting tonight in Estadio Da Luz:

Quim - Alcides, Luisão, Andersson, Leo - Petit - Nelson, Manuel Fernandes, Simão - Nuno Gomes - Marcel

Or maybe Nelson as right back and Manduca or Robert (in his case switching with Simão) in for Alcides to play the right wing-position.
I can also imagine Karaounis instead of Nuno Gomes who himself would move to Marcels position then.
Maybe Geovanni starts as ponta-de-lança, he had some decent games there.

We'll see tonight ... Força Benfica!!!

Agora não, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 12:45
International

Should be an interesting game. Sporting will have to up their game considerably to pose a thread, it should be a simple 3-0 run for Benfica, realistically, Sporting just don't have what it takes to pull it off twice in a season, IMO.
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 12:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Well when your two central defenders are Polga and Tonel,you dont have many chances to win or draw the game........,3-0 or 3-1 for Benfica,it will be realy easy today......

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 14:22
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
looking forward to a great game tonight!

its a must win for sporting, so they'll give it all...for us it a should win....its a unique chance to like bier said , make the race for the title just between us and porto, and also we cant afford to lose 3 pts and stay again 6 pts behind the blues

i am confident we will win becoz we are in fact the better team and are playing better, but in a derby u never know, anything can happen, so lets hope we perform and grab the victory

my starting line-up would be :

Quote:

quim

nelson - luisão - anderson - leo

petit - manuel fernandes

manduca - simão

geovanni - nuno gomes
i think that since the game is vs sporting, geovanni might have a psycholigical edge over miccoli and marcel but at least one of them should come in as a sub, and between manduca and robert is a tough choice...i might go for manduca though becoz he seems better adapted and this is not a game to take excessive risks, thats for sporting to do

BENFICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OLEEEEE OLEEEEE OLEEEEEE OLAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

O BENFICA É O MAIOR QUE HÁ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FORÇA

ps: btw, the game is at 19.45 GMT, on sport tv

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 17:21
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
Benfica is clearly better than Sporting, no doubt about that, but saying that a 3-0 win is a realistic result...

I don't like this euphoric attitude, most people are saying that the game is won already. Experience tells me that when this thing happens we end up with an inflated head after the game. Careful, Sporting is weaker than Benfica at the moment but it's still 11 vs 11...
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 20:19 Thread Starter
World Class Player

GOLO SIMAO ... irresisbatle from the spot!
Força Benfica!!!

post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 21:12 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Fair enough, Sa Pinto as irresistable from the spot.

I'm getting mad with that one Band Sports moderator ... he's a Sportinguista

post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 21:21 Thread Starter
World Class Player

1:2 Liedson ... I'm off. This Benfica-side is annoying and Koeman is a clueless clown ... Marcel in for Beto, why not take Moretto out for Robert?

post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 21:22
International

??

Why's that? Even then, I doubt his opinion is too far from the truth, Sporting have just come in and rampaged Benfica. They've played some awesome football too.

And Liedson made Luisao look like Argel. I've always maintained that Luisao isn't that great, and that goal is proof. Reminds me a bit of Paito in the Derby last year.

Sporting 2-1 Benfica

100% spot-on to what the action on the pitch has been.
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 21:28
International

3-1 Liedson
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 21:39 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeiraMarense
Why's that? Even then, I doubt his opinion is too far from the truth, Sporting have just come in and rampaged Benfica. They've played some awesome football too.
So, can this possibly have to do with our coach and how he tactically prepared the team for halftime two?

Hope the 1:3 was the last goal he saw in charge! We need someone who knows how to build up a dominating side.

post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 21:48
Rising Star

Teams: Benfica, Portugal NT, Bradford City FC
Ive yet to see a Benfica - Sporting game where the referee hasnt fallen for a blatant bit of Sporting cheating. Liedson is a ****, i hope worst injury imaginable befalls hims.

Dont take that away from Sporting though, benfica were shit. Ive never been so disappointed with a performance. They were terrible. Koeman deserves the sack for that performancer alone.

Goodbye league. Second place still up for grabs though. Oh, lets say goodbye to any notion of beating Liverpool while were at it.
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 21:49
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beiramarense
Should be an interesting game. Sporting will have to up their game considerably to pose a thread, it should be a simple 3-0 run for Benfica, realistically, Sporting just don't have what it takes to pull it off twice in a season, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleber
Well when your two central defenders are Polga and Tonel,you dont have many chances to win or draw the game........,3-0 or 3-1 for Benfica,it will be realy easy today......
no comments

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 21:50
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier
So, can this possibly have to do with our coach and how he tactically prepared the team for halftime two?

Hope the 1:3 was the last goal he saw in charge! We need someone who knows how to build up a dominating side.
Blame Koeman if you want, but I think the players deserve all the blame today.

Nuno Gomes was a nothing. Simao was non-existant except for a few plays where he made Abel look moronic. Morretto had a few nice saves, but in the end was over-run by Liedson. Luisao was awful. Alcides did well the second half and then let it go. Anderson did alright but he let go in the second half as well. Manuel Fernandes was an insignificant figure. Petit, like-wise.

Really, Benfica lost this game for how they played. Blame Koeman if you want, but it doesn't change the performance from the players who are known to play better.

Koeman put in Manuel Fernandes to hold the game, and then the penalty was scored so he took back his substitution by taking out Beto and putting in Marcel, and that didn't work either. From that aspect, I think Koeman did the right thing.

And also, I don't see why Koeman's preperations for the SECOND-half should be what gets scorned, because Benfica's first half was disputably as bad as the second, maybe better or worse but not by much.

Carlos Martins, Joao Moutinho, Liedson, ALL had field-days with Benfica's defence today, and after the 2-1 (really after the 1-1), they looked like amateurs, and I think today's defensive performances from Benfica will show a certain fan on here that maybe Benfica's defence isn't all THAT greater than Sporting's (Kleber ).

Benfica missed having a nice flow to their game. They came in off a hot-streak and had one of their worst games of the season. Maybe Miccoli could've helped manners, but not only did Benfica play horrible, but Sporting played great attacking football. When they were down they attacked, when they were equal they attacked, then they went up by 1 they attacked, when they away the third, THEY ATTACKED.

And this is another problem from Benfica. They have a case of the Trapattonitis, I guess.
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 21:51
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguia
Ive yet to see a Benfica - Sporting game where the referee hasnt fallen for a blatant bit of Sporting cheating. Liedson is a ****, i hope worst injury imaginable befalls hims.
Liedson got hit in the balls.

I'd like to see you take a solid-hit to the balls and keep standing.

Seriously, did you even watch the game? :thmbdown:
post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 21:57
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
i am gutted, we lost and totally deservdly, since we made a pathetic game tonight

once more koeman showed what a crap coach he is.

to start with...nelson doesnt play well on the left wing....why did he play him there instead of the best LB of the league, leo?

alcides had a miserable game...ok, it happens, question...why didnt nelson play as RB instead of alcides? nelson the best best RB of the league

why did beto start again?
why did manduca start as offensive mid? he played great on the wings, why did he start as creative midfield?

and who was making the right wing? geovanni? since when? we were clearly playing with a limp, becoz we had the RB making both defense and offense on the right

dyring trhe 1st half the game was very poor...our penalty was clean, simao scored brilliantly.
liedson was very close to score a great goal, we were luky

come 2nd half, our pathetic coach did nothing, no chnages at all in that team totally lost...i mean, how do u expect to win a game when u have 4 or 5 players out of position?!?

finally he subs manuel in..instead of moving manduca to the wings and subbing beto out...he subs manduca out lol

eventually a clear penalty over nuno is not called, and then a penalty against benfica is called...not only it was a clean one..as it was the most pathetic penalty ever...beto hits liedson 's crown jewels...surprise? not really...

then moretto makes a few good saves, fails others, when he looks like he is " a apanhar papeis"and fails to stop liedson from making the goal

terrible game, i feel sorry for those who were at the stadium, to watch such a crap display. sporting didnt play great, but played much better than we did, congrats to them :thmbup:

and porto is having a laugh now, we may have seriously compromised our title ambitions tonight

it breaks my heart to see that a man who is crap tactically and in bench and human resources management, is coaching my club

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 21:59 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
And this is another problem from Benfica. They have a case of the Trapattonitis, I guess.
Nothing wrong with defensive football, when a team is able to defend a 1:0 down, that can be a strategy. Beside there's nothing more beatifull then the look on the opponents faces after such a game. But I bet Benfica can hardly manage to play like this against an equal side and thus Koeman chose the wrong strategy. Turn it as you want, the responsible is always the coach Probably I was overreacting upon him though, but I stick to it, some great former football-players should not vanish all their recognition by becoming a coach after having finished their active career.

post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 22:02
Rising Star

Teams: Benfica, Portugal NT, Bradford City FC
Quote:
Liedson got hit in the balls.

I'd like to see you take a solid-hit to the balls and keep standing.

Seriously, did you even watch the game? :thmbdown:
I did watch the game. Liedsons reaction was too late for my liking. Perhaps if he had a good track record for honesty, i would give him the benefit of the doubt, but since he is a notorious cheating prick, i think its safe to assume that he probably took the opportunity to dive. Besides, Liedson jumped into the defender trying to get the ball.

And its impossible for him to have been hit in the balls. The cheating ****** has none.
post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 22:02
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
sporting didnt play great, but played much better than we did, congrats to them :thmbup:
thanks but we did play great during large parts of the game.

a sweet victory especially after the arrogance of some people in this sub-forum

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 22:04
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguia
I did watch the game. Liedsons reaction was too late for my liking. Perhaps if he had a good track record for honesty, i would give him the benefit of the doubt, but since he is a notorious cheating prick, i think its safe to assume that he probably took the opportunity to dive. Besides, Liedson jumped into the defender trying to get the ball.

And its impossible for him to have been hit in the balls. The cheating ****** has none.
bad loser :thmbdown:

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in