MT 16: Vitoria Setubal - Benfica - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2005, 17:51 Thread Starter
World Class Player

MT 16: Vitoria Setubal - Benfica

Business as usual. Another make or break situation awaits our team tomorrow as they take on top-flight-top-spot-rival Vitoria from and in Setubal.
Benfica however is considered to be in the form to delight us with anearly Christmas-present.
Kick-off is set for 9.30 pm local time.

Here's the line-up would propose to do Santa Claus' job:

Quim
Nelson - Anderson - Luisão - RicardoRocha
Petit
Geovanni - ManuFernandes - Karyaka
Miccoli*
Nuno Gomes*

*Mantorras could start or be subbed in here
Força Benfica

Agora não, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2005, 19:06
Rising Star

Teams: Benfica, Portugal NT, Bradford City FC
5 Setubal players have resigned from the club after failure to be paid. The coach has also quit.

A win please gents. 8)
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2005, 19:41
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
we seem to do well with these championship finals....do u recall last year trap saying that every game was a final till the end??

well, this year we just started playing our finals a bit earlier, its all psychological tactics

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2005, 19:44
Rising Star

Teams: Benfica, Portugal NT, Bradford City FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
we seem to do well with these championship finals....do u recall last year trap saying that every game was a final till the end??

well, this year we just started playing our finals a bit earlier, its all psychological tactics
This is simply the Christmas Championship final! :P

Then we can have the new year championship final, the easter championship final..and so on!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 02:02 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Well, guess as a Benfiquista those days one can never rest assured of success as in the golden days. :undecide: But hey, somehow that makes the spice in the soup and championships as that last season taste even sweeter.

Agora não, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 03:25
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

the golden days are back

we are champions, we display a great performance once in a while, we host great teams and great games and actually win them

its all coming back, its real, its the present, and ninguém pára o benfica

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 20:34
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
the golden days are back

we are champions, we display a great performance once in a while, we host great teams and great games and actually win them

its all coming back, its real, its the present, and ninguém pára o benfica
I think you've been watching Citizen Kane a bit too often...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 20:51
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

nope, i've only seen it once but....do u think orson wells got inspired by benfica?

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2005, 23:33
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

and we won 1-0 with an awesome goal from nuno

damn, we played a great 2nd half, if it wasnt for moretto setubal :fero: we would have not suffered this much great goalie :thmbup:

dos santos came in very well, karagounis played the full 90m and he played well (specially that 2nd half), and mantorras came in great

BENFICAAAA!!!!!!!

Last edited by Inácio; December 21st, 2005 at 23:44.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:34
Rising Star

I saw the game. Despite all the problems Vitória was able to play their usual game, letting Benfica control the ball most of the time and using poisonous counter-strikes, with fast passing or placing the ball to the wingers. Some of the most dangerous situations for Benfica came directly from Moretto's (GK) foot.

On the second half Vitória broke phisically and Benfica did play much better.
Geovanni had an excellent performance even with his father's death certainly fresh in his mind. Great pass to Nuno Gomes in that late goal.

The thing that gets to my nerves, is that Nuno's goal should never have been allowed. He controls the ball initialy with his chest alright, but its his right arm that allows him not to let it go.

Come on folks, last week's goal against Nacional da Madeira was allowed by the ref after a foul agains Nacional's GK. Now this??!! Is that how Benfica plans to win the Championship this year? Give me a break...
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:45
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Well atleast we're winning

O GLORIOSO

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:53
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

no ways Game nuno's goal was clean

he doesnt touch it with his arm at all, they have shown it about 10 times, from like 15 different angles and its clean, and a beautifull goal which moretto almost defended lol what a night he had :irritate:

besides, if there were to be any complaints from the ref, it had to be ours...did u see how many wrong offsides were called against benfica?
specially those two in the 2nd half, against miccoli and then mantorras...those were plain absurd

and what about sougou? the 2nd yellow card should have come out when he hit ricardo rocha, no?

and last week....i cant believe there was some much controversia over the goal and none about the penalty over luisao....
last week's goal i can admit there might have been a previous foul ( and i say might, because it was not luisao who prevented diego from defending that ball, he tried to grab it, missed it, and as he is falling luisao does hit him), but thats it really

i was quite worried during the 1st half...we werent playing fast enough, but that 2nd half was very good, i hope that koeman puts in his head, ONCE AND FOR ALL, that ricardo rocha is a CB, and that in the absence of leo, dos santos is the man, he played great tonight

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 02:44
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

This was the first time this season I've watched a Benfica game on tv and I must say I'm happy with what I've seen until the 89th minute.

I say it because after reading the comments of the only excited SLB fan posting here tonight I am now aware of what is meant here as "playing great"...

...and I thought Sporting was playing crap...poor innocent me

p.s. the goal was clean, there was one or two dubious offside calls against SLB and on the 2nd half there was a ball controlled with the chest by Fábio when he was going alone against Quim that was transformed into a "hand ball" with even a yellow card to put the cherry on top of the cake.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 03:10
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Sporting were playing like crap for a good couple of games. I'm happy to say that they've gotten their act together and are playing very well at the moment.

O GLORIOSO

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 03:17
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

i am always excited when we win

and if u think that we didnt outplay setubal in the 2nd half, and didnt miss half a dozen chances to score, then u probably need to change those rusty green lenses

ah yes...i was happy after the 89th m

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 11:53
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
i am always excited when we win

and if u think that we didnt outplay setubal in the 2nd half, and didnt miss half a dozen chances to score, then u probably need to change those rusty green lenses

ah yes...i was happy after the 89th m
There's nothing wrong on being excited after your team wins and it is nicer to read your posts when that happens...although I would rather prefer that your team looses and you still manage to keep your inspired writing style

I do think SLB outplayed Setúbal in the 2nd half but I also think that it was not needed much to do so. Vitória seemed perfectly lost to me during that period and it's no wonder after what has been going on over there. I find it amazing how they still manage to play at this level with all the trouble they've been going through.

However I did not see half a dozen of chances to score but a maximum of three. I also saw that SLB has a very unbalanced team with some players in good form (Luisão, Nuno Gomes and sometimes Nelson) but with a very average/low midfield. This is why I now think that after all the difference between us and you is not that big and that gives me hope that we might still have a chance this season.

p.s. My green lenses are not rusty! They are pure and clean like two bottles of tintol!

Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 12:51
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

i saw something last night, that i have also seen in the last few games, and which it was not present before....the team fighting till the end to get a result

and that is very reassurring, becoz in spite of some confusion in the midfield (specially during the 1st half, when benfica was very clumsy and slow) we are now pushing for the win until the ref. blows the final whistle, and that didnt happen in the first....10- 12 rounds or so....we would sort of get into a "snooze mode" towards the end of the games

of coz sporting still has a chance lol this is going to be another very competitive league but still don't get your hopes too high

although its about time porto loses some points........tonight should be the night....GO GUIMARÃES

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 13:04
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
of coz sporting still has a chance lol this is going to be another very competitive league but still don't get your hopes too high

although its about time porto loses some points........tonight should be the night....GO GUIMARÃES
My hopes are never too high but they are always veeeeery GREEN!

YES, for once we agree 100%! FORÇA GUIMARÃES!!!

Nelson Mandela
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 17:48
Rising Star

Ok, tell me I've also got green rusty lenses... And if you see the whole movement of the ball from the game's footage you'll understand of what I'm talking about. Unless there are red rusty lenses around here too...
Attached Images

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2005, 18:06
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Game...i have seen many many times the move.....and even in that pic, it doesnt show the ball on his arm

and the couloured lenses was my joke, go get yourself a new joke p:

but i have read about moretto winking at us for the goalie position!

the nerve of the man! after almost single handed taking pts away from us, he still gives us the wink

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in