CL Matchday 6: BENFICA vs Manchester United - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 144 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2005, 20:48 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
CL Matchday 6: BENFICA vs Manchester United

48 hours left for the decisive CL match which will decide if we're through to the knockout stages, Uefa cup or if we're just gonna concentrate on the domestic competitions.

I'm afraid that i don't have good news to give you guys. The worst possible scenario occured: Simão, Miccoli, Karagounis and Manuel Fernandes won't play :eekani:

With this massive blow, it's really hard to make a good enough 11, but here's my choice.

-------------------Quim--------------
Nélson----Anderson----Luisão-----Léo
-------------------------------------
------------Petit-------Beto---------
-------------------------------------
Geovanni------------------Hélio Roque
--------------Nuno Assis-------------
-----------------Nuno Gomes---------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 144 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2005, 21:19
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
So many injuries....... :frownani:
post #3 of 144 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2005, 22:51
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
i dont believe in the injuries

its bullshit, im sure

seriously....if it is true, we have to chop some heads off lol

coz simao's injuury recovery is taking forever, miccoli is taking....2 months? lol
and manuel........its 2 weeks now, how long can a tendinitus (spelling) last????

karagounis, since he played injured a few games, i can admit a longer recovery, but the rest?

its either a lie, and we are bluffing ( and i believe it is so), or our medical department is doing a bad bad baaaaad job

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"

post #4 of 144 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2005, 13:57 Thread Starter
Star Player

Guarda-redes: Quim e Nereu

Defesas: Anderson, Luisão, Léo, Alcides, Dos Santos, Nelson, João Pereira e Ricardo Rocha

Médios: Petit, Bruno Aguiar, Nuno Assis, Beto, Geovanni, Hélio Roque

Avançados: Nuno Gomes e Mantorras;

Looks like Koeman decided Karyaka wasn't good enough for this match and yet called Dos Santos. I really don't know what's on his mind right now :eekani:
post #5 of 144 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2005, 14:35
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

i cant believe this joke...karyaka is not called?

well, ill be at the game, so i reckon i will have to take a white sheet tonight :rollani:

the above is a nightmare...i cant believe our medical department was unable to recover 3 of our most important players for tonight and that our genious coach is leaving karyaka out and preparing himself to field in a squad super defensive like he did agaisnt lille....we were supernaturally lucky in that game and played the worst i have seen in...hell i cant even recall such a bad game with such lack of personality lol

i have never seen benfica lose alive, even if it took the other team to have 2 clean goals disallowed (CSKA last year)...but tomorrow we need to win...and my presence alone cant guarantee that lol

what a joke, man im so so so fed up with koeman, i cant believe how he is screwing up a perfectly decent roaster

post #6 of 144 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2005, 21:04 Thread Starter
Star Player

It's really funny to witness Ferguson's display of arrogance, almost suggesting that they won the game already. Anyone got Mr Koeman's cell phone number? Maybe i should tell him there's no need to show up at Estádio da Luz with the players, because that would give us more time to prepare our league game against Boavista.
post #7 of 144 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2005, 21:44
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

ferguson is acting like an idiot, but that is very good for us, i hope they play with as much arrogance

btw....artmedia made an outstanding game tonight , i only hope we can play with the heart those guys played tonight...coz if we do.....we gonna win the game

BENFICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #8 of 144 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2005, 22:22
World Class Player

It's all or nothing now ... if I was Koeman I'd start Mantorras alongside Nuno Gomes. He's far more dangerous in front of the goal then Nuno Assis is. However, this idea would never ever come to his mind, as if they couldn't play well together, noone ever tried yet. One of them would always make his goal.
Whatsoever, Simão, our lucky charm, not being around cannot but be a hard knock for our belved Benfica, the team has to stick together now and prove that they can reach successes, not only depending on our outstanding captain.
No poll for this one as this has brought us luck on the weekend as Ana has already said in the previous match thread. Força Benfica!!!

Agora não, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)
post #9 of 144 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2005, 22:35
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

no no, mantorras wont start...and i wouldnt start him either...he is our ONLY card in the bench lol

tomorrow i believe we will have the same team as againts maritimo....i hope our players to give it all, to eat the bloody grass!!!!!

thats the only way we can and we will do it! with work! and a bit of luck too, of coz

today i was listening to eusebio as i was driving home...damn that guy is such an inspiration ...he was saying that he wish he could play tomorrow....he wouldnt mind he was aching with injury, he would bloody pay to play he said it tons of times " hell i would pay to play! i dunno how much, but i would pay!

post #10 of 144 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2005, 22:46
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
today i was listening to eusebio as i was driving home...damn that guy is such an inspiration ...he was saying that he wish he could play tomorrow....he wouldnt mind he was aching with injury, he would bloody pay to play he said it tons of times " hell i would pay to play! i dunno how much, but i would pay!
The man is a legend, he would save our bloody ass on his own if he still was in shape. Since he can't however I hope his words have made an impact to the team.

Quote:
no no, mantorras wont start...and i wouldnt start him either...he is our ONLY card in the bench lol
Are you trying to tell me Nuno Assis wouldn't be a card on the bench but he starts over Mantorras? Don't get me wrong, you know I like Nuno Assis pretty much and I'm glad he get's playing time again these days, but Mantorras is hot ... He has the will, the pace and the abilities to save us. There's 90 minutes left to keep our ass in the competition, what else does it need to play our last card?

post #11 of 144 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2005, 23:01
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

nah, i think assis has been playing OK, but in that position....center midfield, behind the striker(s) and i dont see him as someone that can come from the becnh and make the diffrence, give the extra touch u need at some point in the game....

i would start him over mantorras, and during the 2nd half (early 2nd half, not last 10m lol) i would launch mantorras....

i wouldnt start with a 4-4-2, with only petit and beto behind nuno gomes and mantorras....i would do that only later in the game

post #12 of 144 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2005, 23:16
World Class Player

Quote:
nah, i think assis has been playing OK, but in that position....center midfield, behind the striker(s) and i dont see him as someone that can come from the becnh and make the diffrence, give the extra touch u need at some point in the game....
This is our last chance, I think a 30 minute extra touch might not be sufficient. Nobody, absolutely nobody, especially not Ferguson who is probably well prepared would expect Mantorras to start. They expect us to hide behind the bushes by lining up one striker as we do all the season so long, so we have to, for once, believe in our offensive ability and by doing so let the surprise be on our side. An unexpected pacey and devoted striker such as Mantorras could probably give us the extra-boost we might need for 90 minutes.
Whatsoever, that's just my theories, I am well aware that Mantorras won't start anyway... hope it's not too late to bring him after 60 minutes in the end and he can still make a difference.

Last edited by Bier; December 6th, 2005 at 23:22.
post #13 of 144 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2005, 23:40
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

naaahh, i dont mean 60min

i mean 45

its just that im affraid that mantorras wouldnt be able to cope an entire game...i dont even mean physically,i mean morals wise, he has played as a starter before and i dunno, he doesnt seem to keep up

but it would sure be a surprise

hell, i just want us to win! ill even play if needed

post #14 of 144 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2005, 23:42 Thread Starter
Star Player

I would pick Nuno Assis over Mantorras for the starting line-up because i don't believe Mantorras can be useful in this game if he plays 90 minutes.

He's a good option when things aren't going our way and we need to shake things up, inject some life in our attacking play. Mantorras is a very immature player, he tries to drible opponents and is, most of the times, inconsequent.
post #15 of 144 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2005, 23:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Well i am seeing a interview of Koeman in this moment in RTP N.
post #16 of 144 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2005, 00:48
Legend

Teams: Liverpool
Is Simao injury prone? when ever I check how he's getting on he always seems to be injured.

lucas21
post #17 of 144 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2005, 01:15
Star Player

Good luck Benfica
post #18 of 144 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2005, 14:20
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM ONLINE
Is Simao injury prone? when ever I check how he's getting on he always seems to be injured.
No, he is not. Just check his numbers. If I'm not mistaken he played every minute of last years league (90x34), and has been doing the same, or pretty much, for the last 4 seasons.
The problem started exactly because of this. He developed an injury on the pubis (don't know if this is the name in english) and went for surgery during the summer. That was his first stop. After that, he was injured again, this time during a game for the portuguese cup, and missed a couple of games. Adding to that, our medical team, and maybe not just them, screwd up big time when they gave the OK too early for Simão to play. He did play, got injured again and he's now recovering from that with extra patience and time.
post #19 of 144 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2005, 15:00
World Class Player

Yap, Simão's last season was simply outstanding in terms of commitment. He was slightly injured (in the end an operation was needed) and played the full time of every match Benfica took on the field for.

post #20 of 144 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2005, 15:04
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Who cares about Simao!! :irritate: ,today we will have Geovanni back,i believe he will be the man of the match.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in