And we caught a fish! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2005, 02:47 Thread Starter
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
And we caught a fish!

apparently, we have just signed Beto, the 28 year old, brazilian midfielder, from Beira-Mar :rollani:

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2005, 13:22
World Class Player

Hm, I don't rate him that bad actually ... however not an outstanding player though ... didn't he score this one outstanding goal few weeks ago? (can't remember against wich team, LPC you uploaded it back then)
Is he a free agent? Then I won't complain

Agora não, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2005, 15:12
Star Player

That goal you're talking was against Boavista. He also shot another bomb against Setúbal. He was't free agent because he had a 2 year-contract. But the price wasn't that high as Beira-Mar were relegated. I think there are no players to be loaned. He's a good, strong player, but I was hoping to see João Alves instead.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 03:33
International

Why Beto? Can someone explain to me? He's a great player, granted, but only if one of Petit or Fernandes does leave will he even see the light of day at the Estadio da Luz. Not saying he's worse than them, but I just think based on the matter of reputation he obviously doesn't fair as high.

Beto also had a bomb against Benfica on opening day from a freekick which was very similiar to his goal against Vitoria Setubal.

Joao Alves I think is out of Benfica's reach since there's supposedly some offers from England and Spain.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 10:31
World Class Player

Well, guess Benfica wanted to go for a good back-up here. Petit and ManuFernandes could get injured and there's a long season coming our way with those 34 Liga-games and 13 Champions League games plus few cup games. We need a strong initial 11 as well as a strong alternative 11 there.

Agora não, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 15:52
Star Player

Scolari in Benfica?...
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 16:00 Thread Starter
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

scolari?!?

hope not...hes in the middle of the NT qualifying for the WC....

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 16:20
Star Player

anonymous sources inside fpf guaranteed he will be the next Benfica coach
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 16:24 Thread Starter
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

wow, that would a be quite a golpe

well....that would explain the fact the vieira knows (or says he knows) whos the coach since sunday ...after the key game against slovakia...and also the fact that they are holding back to reveal who the coach will be...becoz of the estonia game?

if it happens, i think it would be good for benfica...as for the NT...well, should we win againts estonia, only something very wrong would make us lose the qualifying...and if the federation was to take back humberto coelho, the NT would be well taken care off...lets see

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 19:28
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
We'd have Scolari for this past season if management would have been able to contain themselves instead of leaking the info to the press before it was a done deal. That would explain why they are being so tight lipped this time.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 21:26
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPedroCat
Scolari in Benfica?...
That's bullshit. First, why on Earth would Scolari abandon Portugal NT in the middle of qualifying to the WC for Benfica?

And everyone knows that Vieira saying that he knows who the next manager is is nothing but a publicity stunt. They'll get more and more attention, trying to set up that certain manager to be someone who will just take Europe by storm and then in the end Benfica will end up with some crap manager, while because of Vieira's attitude people will think he'll be the next big thing since José Mourinho.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 21:28
International
International

Teams: Benfica, Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Marta-
That's bullshit. First, why on Earth would Scolari abandon Portugal NT in the middle of qualifying to the WC for Benfica?

And everyone knows that Vieira saying that he knows who the next manager is is nothing but a publicity stunt. They'll get more and more attention, trying to set up that certain manager to be someone who will just take Europe by storm and then in the end Benfica will end up with some crap manager, while because of Vieira's attitude people will think he'll be the next big thing since José Mourinho.

As long as it isn't Peseiro, we'll be alright.

....There was also a conspiracy against Sporting to keep them out of 1st place by 26 points. The conspiracy is about to be revealed in a public judicial forum soon enough. It's hasn't anything to do with Golden whistles, but with Golden Showers, as Sporting Administration and coaching has conspired to piss all over themselves this season.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 21:34
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEagle
As long as it isn't Peseiro, we'll be alright.
Sure you don't want him? We'll give you €5 millions of you take him p

But didn't Vieira said it was someone with experience in the CL? Because in that case it definetely can't be Scolari.

I'm not quite sure I get the part about making "benfiquistas proud"... Maybe Toni's back.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 21:36
Star Player

Teams: SL Benfica & FC Internazionale
Quote:
What a classic statement which serves as a microcosm for the collective inferiority complex the other clubs continue to have as a result of being eternal runners-up to O Glorioso. If you edited the statement to read:

That's bullshit. First, why on Earth would Scolari abandon Portugal NT in the middle of qualifying to the WC for Sporting?

or

That's bullshit. First, why on Earth would Scolari abandon Portugal NT in the middle of qualifying to the WC for Porto?

...I'd agree; but we are talking about Sport Lisboa e Benfica here.

I must admit - when Red mentioned this earlier, I was a little geeky happy at the prospect, although I knew it most likely was just a wacky but fun theory. Now I see none other but the great LuisPedroCat posting it as near-fact and I have officially started giggling like a marketing intern after I tell her that she's so mature acting for her age, not like the other girls, blah, blah, blah...

A golden age is upon us at SLB.

Forca Benfica! :fero:

"He (Pinto da Costa) doesn't realize we (Benfica) can generate more money on George Jardel Bobble head day than Porto can when they play Sporting" - MikeyO - 8.7.02
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 21:49
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Why not? Better than taking a second-rate, second-class outfit job like Sporting or Porto.

You lagartos are truly a piece of work. :rollani:
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 21:57
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
...I'd agree; but we are talking about Sport Lisboa e Benfica here.

A golden age is upon us at SLB.
That one's right up there with Vieira saying he wanted Benfica to win next year's CL. Almost made me die laughing.

Geez, you people have what portuguese normally call "mania da perseguição".

When I said Benfica, I meant it in the same way I would have said if it was either Porto or Sporting.

Portugal NT is a world class team with world class players. Just try to compare that with what we see every week in the Portuguese League. Half-empty stadiums, crappy games most of the time, crappy refs, crappy players because all the good ones will sooner or later go away.

Let's be honest now: Porto won both the UEFA Cup and CL because Mourinho was there. You can't turn that around. Sporting got to the UEFA cup final because.. well, I'm still trying to figure out how that happened.

Benfica had their chance when Mourinho was there and they let him get away. It's not gonna happen again anytime soon.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 22:01 Thread Starter
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Quote:

I'm not quite sure I get the part about making "benfiquistas proud"... Maybe Toni's back.

bingo, i think you are on to something :dielaugh:

seriously, im impressed with the enthusiasm with which you seem to follow benfica's every single move :thmbup:

if I was sporting clube de portugal, i would feel a little jealous for being so neglected

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 22:20
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:

Half-empty stadiums, crappy games most of the time, crappy refs, crappy players because all the good ones will sooner or later go away.
I would feel the same way as well if I went to the Avalade every other week this year. :rollani:

You care more about Benfica than Sporting Clube de Culo.....What is it with this obsession? I think you maybe a closet Benfiquista.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 23:06
Star Player

Honestly, I don't believe Scolari will sign. In today's interview at SIC, LFV said the new coach will be someone with great ability in young players management. I've been getting sources from everywhere and I don't trust many of them. This is a "nightmare". I even heard today (just like I've heard in the day of the Cup final against Setúbal) that Couceiro would be the new Benfica coach. What a laugh it would be after LFV said the new coach would be someone every Benfica fan would be proud of. Forget it. I also heard that Koeman was certain to be the new coach and would sign tomorrow, but the source is not the best, though. Van Gaal or Koeman are my bets.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2005, 23:28 Thread Starter
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

apparently, according to my dutch sources (Wally) its koeman :rollani:

lá vai a montanha parir um rato.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in