31st matchday BENFICA - Belenenses - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: What will be the outcome of this weekend's match?
Benfica win 5 100.00%
Draw 0 0%
Belenenses win 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 13:34 Thread Starter
World Class Player

31st matchday BENFICA - Belenenses

Tomorrow at 19.15 pm local time, Benfica will play Belenenses in Lisbon's small derby. The side from Belém have a good season so far and have beaten Benfica earlier this season 4:1 at their homeground Restelo. Thus we should be aware of their ability to surprisingly overcome any team they play in Portugal. They however also have their bad days, which is to be seen in the classification, where they are to be found in the middle of the table only. If Benfica want to maintain or even better their situation in the title-race this weekend (given Braga will play Sporting on sunday) they have to win this game. In our favor should work the fact, that from what I read Miguel will be back and able to play, joined by Manuel Fernandes. Both will enter the team Trapatoni has chosen last week, as we will see João Pereira and Bruno Aguiar benched again.
Unsure remains whether Moreira or Quim will be in our goal, though I think the first one will win the race, and the place on the left side on our defence, where I would chose Dos Santos over Fyssas. Actually I suppose though, that Fyssas will play again since he made a good job last week. That brings me to the following line-up-proposal:

Moreira
Miguel,Luisão,RicRocha,Fyssas
Petit
Geovanni,ManuFernandes,Simão
NunoAssis
NunoGomes

Maybe Trap choses to play two strikers (Mantorras instead of Nuno Assis) ... but after all it's Trapattoni
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lisbon_luz1.jpg (28.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg lisbon_luz2.jpg (26.0 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by Bier; April 29th, 2005 at 15:33.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 13:42
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
come on bier, fyssas was dreadful last week and everyone was attacking from his side of coz i really dunno why he's playing like this this season, but its a fact ...

anyways, i hope he doesnt start again, and other than that, i agree it would be nice to see 2 strikers from the start, with the way nuno assis has been playing.....though i doubt we will...mantorras seems to work better coming from the bench for now, and im not so sure trap will wanna start nuno gomes + karadas.....hopefully our 2 black pearls will back, so that alone should improve the teams performance by miles

either way, this is like u said, another must win game, and hopefully sporting, braga and even porto (maritimo is no piece of cake) may be losing pts this weekend, and that would be just wonderful

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 13:48 Thread Starter
World Class Player

I too would rather play Dos Santos instead of Fyssas, inacio, but I believe Trap will be satisfied with our greek cup-hero, given the goal we received last week did not come Fyssas' way.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 15:25
Star Player

It was 1-4 the result at Belenenses. Sokota scored.

Anyway, according to the training sessions Trap is likely to keep Moreira instead of Quim. Dos Santos, Miguel and Manuel Fernandes will return. Bier, Fyssas was really terrible against Estoril. No surprise about that. He's one of the deadliest cancers ever at the club. Regarding our conceded goals we can't make simple analysis if the goal was created on Fyssas's side or not. I know you also prefer Dos Santos so I'm not saying you want Fyssas to start. Nevertheless, he commits too many mistakes (mainly positional) and his feet aren't very charming as well... Simão is in a dreadful form period (in need of a groin surgery) and he definitely needs some support on the left-wing, something Fyssas isn't/wasn/t able to do. Dos Santos is, with no doubt, the man for the spot.

Trapattoni didn't want the team to accomodate too much and he said he made some changes to keep players alerted (Moreira and Fyssas)...

Trapattoni is a little bit afraid of Belenenses's attacking prowess (still remembering that shocking result at Restelo) so even if everyone is "demanding" Mantorras to start, Nuno Assis should play again. Besides, Belenenses are one of those rare teams in Portugal that play with only one defensive midfielder (Rui Ferreira) in their strategy. Carvalhal will put Andersson but to play as interior-right.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 15:32 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPedroCat
It was 1-4 the result at Belenenses. Sokota scored.
Ups, sorry, my mistake, totally forgot about that goal ... changed it

About Mantorras, probably only coming from the bench again, I'm fine with that as long as he still has enough time to do something decisive, I always hate it when Trap brings him on for 10 minutes, he should be given at least 30 or a full halftime ... though I personally would play him (when he's fit) from the start
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 15:41
Star Player

This is Belenenses probable 11, Benfica need to be very careful with Paulo Sérgio who is in great form.

----------------Marco Aurélio-----------------
-Amaral---Wilson----------Pelé--------Sousa--
----------------Rui Ferreira------------------
-----Andersson---Neca-----Zé Pedro-----------
---------Antchouet---Paulo Sérgio-------------

I have a sad statistic to tell you. I'm going to watch the game in the stadium and everytime I went to watch a league match (about 7 league matches if I'm not wrong) at Estádio da Luz (old and new) they never won... It's the second match I'll watch in the new stadium after Benfica-Inter (0-0) and Benfica-Porto (0-1).
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 15:46
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPedroCat

I have a sad statistic to tell you. I'm going to watch the game in the stadium and everytime I went to watch a league match (about 7 league matches if I'm not wrong) at Estádio da Luz (old and new) they never won...
then please sell ur tiket, will u?

on the contrary, i've never seen benfica lose even if two clean goals had to be disallowed in the last time i went (vs CSKA)

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 15:47 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Next time I will be in Lisbon we should go and watch a match together in Da Luz, would be interessted of the outcome, because from the home-matches I have seen live (Da Luz and Jamor/ think it was 10, had to use the every chance when I was there ) they won all but two, they lost (Beira Mar, last season, disgrace, we were far better :fero: ) ... oh and had one draw, last year's 3:3 against ... Belenenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
then please sell ur tiket, will u?
Yeah, not just for the sake of it, bet you get a good price for it too
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 15:48
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

we should get u a season tiket bier

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 15:50
Star Player

eheh I've seen Benfica winning at Estádio da Luz but they were just friendlies (two games against Lazio in which we only won one) or Euro matches (PSV). My Alzheimer doesn't allow me to remember any more victories, I'm sorry.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 15:52 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
we should get u a season tiket bier
Would be highly apreciated but first I have to get a new stipendium or finish my studies and get a job, otherwise I couldn't efford coming to Lisbon every two weeks
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2005, 10:34
Star Player

looks like Alcides might play instead of Luisão.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2005, 11:54 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Huh? Why's that? Is Luisão injured, or has he lost Trapattoni's faith? I'm fine with Alcides, I think he's a good backup for Luisão, but if Luisão is fit I would play him anyday.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2005, 21:22
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

BENFICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

these games are becoming my weekly 90mins of torture

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2005, 21:49
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
Mediocre. Terrible display from Benfica tonight. Nuno Gomes always on the floor, Miguel not helping the attack, Simão uninspired, etc etc...

I just can't understand why can't Benfica play good football anymore. Too much pressure? I don't think so. Sure, Belenenses defended practically the whole game, but that's not an excuse. We're are not playing our football, we have no creativity, no imagination, no speed, thus we deserved to suffer.
What ever happened to Miguel? He used to be our best player, but now, he doesn't even attack. If he's not well, he shouldn't play. João Pereira is full of energy and his defensive skills wouldn't be thoroughly tested on this match.
Simão needs rest or probably even a surgery, so we can't blame him.
Nuno Assis was brilliant against Moreirense, but after that, it all came downhill. I don't think he can be classified as a playmaker. Unlike Zahovic he runs a lot, but he doesn't think the game, doesn't carry the team forward, Manuel Fernandes is doing that.

Next week we'll face Penafiel. They are highly motivated since they will stay in the Superliga, and the pressure won't be too hard on them. Let's hope Braga can beat Sporting, or at least, concede a draw.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2005, 22:13
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

i dont agree, we played very well in the 1st half. did u count the opportunities of scoring we actually had?

in the 2nd half we did drop a bit, but still had full domain of the game until the time we scored. after 1-0 yes, we dropped significantly, started defending too close to our box , lost the midfield, and things could have gone wrong...

im watching porto now...they have one goal, and lost another chance, maritimo has lost maybe 2 or 3.....benfica alone wasted more than that in the 1st half ....i think we are creating enough chances to win the games easily, unfortunately we miss almost all of them, so lets hope againts penafiel we can be far more accurate, and unlike our last 20mins today, can guard the ball more efectively once we are leading.

lets really hope for a draw or braga to win instead...with joao alves away, they seem more likely to drop pts than before...and lets hope maritimo can take at least a draw tonight...porto has an easy easy calendar, and i would hate to see any bad surprises coming from them

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2005, 23:52 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Couldn't see the match tonight, still I'm happy with the result and to see Simao back on the scoresheet, even though it was just a penalty from what I read. Now we can relax and see Sporting take on Braga tomorrow.
Effective football has Benfica back
Força Benfica!!! ... I could've kissed everyone around when I read the result, but I was surrounded by some drunk Punks so I stuck to a smile
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2005, 23:58
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier
I could've kissed everyone around when I read the result, but I was surrounded by some drunk Punks so I stuck to a smile

:dielaugh:

no lady punk there?

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2005, 00:06 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
:dielaugh:

no lady punk there?
She was some hundred meters away and I couldn't have been bothered to go there because of one lone goal ... if it would've been a 3:0 or even 4:0, who knows ...
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2005, 00:19
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Alright, so a nasty game but we still came away with the 1-0 win. Now all we gotta hope for is a Sporting.

O GLORIOSO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in