Giovanni Trapattoni - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2005, 15:10 Thread Starter
Midfield Enforcer
Premier Player

Teams: Lazio, West Ham
Giovanni Trapattoni

I'm sure you guys have heard the rumours linking Trap with a return to Serie A, especially if Benfica wins the Superliga title. What are your thoughts on Trap, his tactics & coaching style? He of course has a well-known reputation in Italy for being a cautious & conservative manager, has this been the case with Benfica? I apologise if this topic has been covered in another thread.

Veritŕ e giustizia per Gabriele!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2005, 15:33
World Class Player

I can only speak for myself on that matter, since I would say Trapattoni is quite a polarizing coach, which means that there might exist 5 opinions about him among 3 different people. Here's my two opinions:

First off I rate Trapattoni as a person and as well as a coach, I always did. His reputation did as we know not come out of the blue, but due to a lot of success he has had as headcoach of Juventus for many years, FC Internazionale (helping them to clinch their last national championship title in 1989) and FC Bayern Munich for example.

I do not, in contrary, rate his way of letting his teams play football (the 4:3 against Maritimo last week being the exception here, I never seen a Trapattoni-managed side play like this before): very defensive, very focused on the result, not on the game itself. Benfica for me stands for offensive football, a spectacle. Trapattoni's style in my opinion fits to italian football, but not really to Benfica though. That was my thoughts at the beginning of the season, but partly, I must admit, Trapattoni proved me wrong. It's not that he proves me wrong in my suggestion of how Benfica would play under his reign, but in my suggestion of how effective this might be. We are at the moment facing a hughe euphoria, being as near to the championship as we have not been in a long time, plus we have good chances to probably raise the portuguese cup as well this year. We are not outplaying our opponents week in week out actually, as one possible reason for our temporary domestic success, but we play very efficiently, at least over the past few weeks. When we can make profit out of a situation, like Porto and Sporting losing for example, we do so at the moment, and if we only succeed with one goal difference, somehow we succeed. That's part of Trapattoni's football-philosophy and that may be vital for us to clinch the long awaited title if things go well this year.
The the "italian fox", footballknowledge aside, has personal class to offer goes as an undisputed fact I think.
Forza Trap!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2005, 17:04 Thread Starter
Midfield Enforcer
Premier Player

Teams: Lazio, West Ham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier
I do not, in contrary, rate his way of letting his teams play football (the 4:3 against Maritimo last week being the exception here, I never seen a Trapattoni-managed side play like this before)!
Yes I was shocked to see that scoreline, couldn't believe that a Trap-coached team was involved in a seven-goal thriller

Quote:
That was my thoughts at the beginning of the season, but partly, I must admit, Trapattoni proved me wrong. It's not that he proves me wrong in my suggestion of how Benfica would play under his reign, but in my suggestion of how effective this might be. We are at the moment facing a hughe euphoria, being as near to the championship as we have not been in a long time, plus we have good chances to probably raise the portuguese cup as well this year.
Seems like textbook Trap, I'd think that your fans would appreciate his results-driven philosophy over attractive football if it meant winning some trophies this season. Good luck in both competitions...

Veritŕ e giustizia per Gabriele!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2005, 19:52
Star Player

I always believed in Trap's ability. Some months ago I told Porto were the best placed to get the title, mainly due to their financial status that could allow them to buy very decent players during the winter window. It was nothing to do with Trap's ability. Benfica haven't got a great squad (I still say it) and Trap definitely hadn't luck with some injuries, especially Miguel, Ricardo Rocha and Nuno Gomes.

However, I think Benfica needed this kind of football for years. Fans are not used to it and they still rave on Trap often (6 points ahead the 2nd placed teams). The match at Nacional is a great example. It's true Adriano missed the penalty-kick but that match was a very, very difficult one and we played the way it should be. Paciently. We repeated the same pacient style and we got other good results. Personally, I don't like Sporting because they are too hungry to score goals. Their 4-1-3-2 force them to seek the goal everytime, even if they haven't got a strong defensive coverage system. Benfica are more careful on their approach and I like that. It's not the first time I say this but modern football is all about a solid defence and counter-attack. Ball-possession is history. So, I don't care if Trap is considered to be defensive. He's defensively accurate and that's what matters.

Benfica had a good period with Camacho but this team is much more solid than 03/04 or 02/03. Trap took his time to increase the players' mentality to play in such strategy and they are much more mature on pitch (the real football players in the squad). Thare are much less mistakes and there are also very few people that can read football as Trapattoni does. This title is his, more than to the fans.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old April 11th, 2005, 06:03
Star Player

Surely he won't go back to Serie A now, even though apparently he used to be good there. Trap's been fighting an increasingly losing battle with senility since about 1990 and only the national team would ever install a manager like that

good luck to Benfica supporters, but these days Trap's teams can't hold any kind of lead at all. he'll be defending with 11 men and trying to force a draw at each match to hold onto the 3 point gap with Sporting. get your conspiracy theories ready, or just copy some of our old favourites
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old April 11th, 2005, 10:46
Rising Star

Teams: Milan, Atletico de Madrid
He is just like Cuper but he won more. I think Benfica fans doesnt mind to watch defensive football after those years wthout any silverware
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old April 11th, 2005, 11:23
Star Player

why wouldn't they mind? Italy has won nothing in my lifetime but i would have still had Trap arrested for his defensive tactics when he was running our national team.

Di Livio
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2005, 19:26
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabondo
why wouldn't they mind? Italy has won nothing in my lifetime but i would have still had Trap arrested for his defensive tactics when he was running our national team.

Di Livio
Well, IMO the problem was not that Italia played defensively...they've done that pretty much forever. Trap's tactics with Italy were simply ineffective and he failed to compose a decent organized squad for both WC2002 and Euro2004. He did a shit job with the NT, it's as easy as that.

But it's nice to see him succeed in Portugal.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2005, 02:28
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ
Well, IMO the problem was not that Italia played defensively...they've done that pretty much forever. Trap's tactics with Italy were simply ineffective and he failed to compose a decent organized squad for both WC2002 and Euro2004.
Don't agree.
in 2002 playing fullbacks as wingers, C.Zanetti :rollani: and Tommasi as your 2 central midfielders and substituting Gattuso for Del Piero (even though he is useless) after we scored against Korea is ultra-defensive according to me.

in 2004 the tactics weren't quite as bad, but the squad was $hit. Zanetti and Perrotta in midfield Corradi instead of Gilardino? Materazzi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ
He did a shit job with the NT, it's as easy as that.
This is quite an accurate summary though
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 01:22
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 05:28
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio

Bwhahahahahaha :dielaugh:

O GLORIOSO

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 09:06
Star Player

ahahahhaha great! they are exactly the same!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 12:53
World Class Player

inacio incredible, how similar they look like
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 13:26
Star Player

oh well, now that this thread isn't serious anymore i'll post the first picture you find when you search for Il Trap on google.

Trap at Miss Italia

btw i think it's on topic because "ben' fica" more or less means "Good Pu$$y" in Italian, and besides with such a notable Quim in your side it could hardly be more appropriate

and finally, good luck with the league and cup
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 13:43
World Class Player

Nice post, Vagabondo ... I wonder what Trap might be thinking when sitting among all those girls ... maybe: whom of'em will I line up as central striker, when I can't rely on the likes of Nuno Gomes or Inzaghi anymore?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 13:46
Star Player

Quote:
Nice post, Vagabondo ... I wonder what Trap might be thinking when sitting among all those girls ... maybe: whom of'em will I line up as central striker, when I can't rely on the likes of Nuno Gomes or Inzaghi anymore?
no he's just simply thinking that if he would have brought them to Portugal last year for the Euro instead of the squad he picked, we would have probably stood a better chance of making it past the group stage
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 19:33
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
At least Italy's games would have been followed by a lot more viewers
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2005, 06:10
Star Player

no, i think the games would mostly only be watched by men if that was the case. you see Trapattoni went after the broader drama/romantic comedy market with the players and tactics he used. I can't believe the Italy vs Bulgaria match was so poorly attended since for neutral fans it had a bit of everything

Corradi trying to score and Materazzi trying to defend for comedy value, a bit of a twist at the end with the Scandinavian match unpredictably finishing 2-2 (nobody saw that one coming :rollani: ) and a tearful finale with Cassano scoring and breaking down when he realised it wouldn't matter . would have made a great movie
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2005, 14:49
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Sampdoria, Italian NT, Crystal Palace
The tactics of Trap are more suited to a league than to a cup. Scoring one goal more than the opponent and then defending it can be a winning strategy when you do it 34 times and you are allowed to fail a few times. In a knock out competition (like the world cup :rollani: ) these tactics could be a suicide (and infact this is exactly what happened ).
Now I'm just curious to see whether Trap will defend the draw in the last game against Boavista.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2005, 15:16
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniSamp
Now I'm just curious to see whether Trap will defend the draw in the last game against Boavista.
ur not the only one

however Trap did reveal a slight evolution in the last few games, and the team has been playing a bit more on attack...nevertheless this is going to be one game in which i think it will be very hard to control the players attitude on the field...i just hope they can keep calm all game long, and play with maturity...we cant play too anxiously, for our own good

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in