28th matchday: Rio Ave - Benfica - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2005, 14:56 Thread Starter
Star Player

28th matchday: Rio Ave - Benfica

Great match in preview. Rio Ave are the only Superliga team that still haven't lost any home match this season (7 wins and 6 draws) and they should be a very tough opponent. Benfica must be very very careful with their counter-attacking so if they play the same cautious style, with patience, even if the first minutes are not that prolific, Benfica might win this match. Rio Ave recently sold centre-back Franco to FC Seul and his replacement Danielson is suspended. Influent defensive midfielder Mozer is injured and he won't play. As for Benfica, Trap will probably use the same lineup that beat Marítimo. However, Miguel was tested as right-midfielder but that should only be to train an eventual second half situation if Benfica are desperate to score.

-----------------------Mora----------------------
-Zé Gomes-Bruno Mendes---Idalécio-------Miguelito-
--------Niquinha-----Delson-----Junas-------------
---------------------------------------Evandro---
---------Paulo César------Gaúcho-----------------

-------------------Quim-------------------------
-Miguel-----Luisão------ Rocha------Dos Santos-
-------------Petit--M.Fernandes-----------------
-Geovanni-------Nuno Assis-------------Simão---
--------------Nuno Gomes--------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2005, 15:09
World Class Player

Força Benfica!
As always I am confident we can and will win this game, though it's an away game. I think in the first match Benfica played this season against Rio Ave (3:3), the squad has learned not to underestimate them. If there are no injuries yet to come until sunday (19:15 local time) Trapattoni has the whole squad available for the game and I too think he will start the same 11 as last week.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2005, 16:28 Thread Starter
Star Player

Regarding the 3-3 I don't think the team underestimated Rio Ave. Miguel shouldn't have played the 90 minutes as he did.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2005, 22:49
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
They haven't lost at home this season, so we can't be too careful.

I don't think Rio Ave is as strong as they were a few months ago, but they're still a quality side, especially playing at home. Interesting how Rio Ave gave Benfica supporters 60% of the stadium's capacity.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2005, 22:52
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPedroCat
Regarding the 3-3 I don't think the team underestimated Rio Ave. Miguel shouldn't have played the 90 minutes as he did.
I was at that game live back then sitting right next to the "No Name Boys" and you're right. He shouldn't of played and neither should have the whole defense that night because they didn't show up for a game the way they played.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2005, 22:59 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_bEnFiQuIsTa
They haven't lost at home this season, so we can't be too careful.

I don't think Rio Ave is as strong as they were a few months ago, but they're still a quality side, especially playing at home. Interesting how Rio Ave gave Benfica supporters 60% of the stadium's capacity.
As far as I remember you live in Maia, right? Are you going to watch the match in the stadium? It's very close. We all know Rio Ave are a quite energic side but we can't look at statistics. These are the facts: as you mentioned they are not the team they used to be some months ago and without Ricardo Nascimento and Franco they are not so strong. Now you must add Mozer's absence which is quite important (he's the true leader) and they will have Bruno Mendes playing next to the giant Idalécio as Danielson is suspended. The hard-working Niquinha will probably move to the right side and I don't know if he's so effective like on the left. Benfica must control Paulo César and Evandro. If they can make it, things will run much easier. And especially they can't allow Rio Ave to counter-attack, that would be terrible.

More than 60% I think...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2005, 23:06 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo
I was at that game live back then sitting right next to the "No Name Boys" and you're right. He shouldn't of played and neither should have the whole defense that night because they didn't show up for a game the way they played.

Yes. Miguel had a thigh injury and Trapattoni was asking him every 5 minutes if he was ok. Miguel said he was. Anyway, that's the typical answer a player says in that moment, when you don't want to give up. Trapattoni should have replaced him, at least, at the half-time, when the result was almost done. If we look carefully to Rio Ave two last goals, they happened following Miguel's gaps or mistakes (due to a wretched physical condition). Same thing as I don't understand why Miguel was selected to play against Oriental (when he sustained his first serious injury). In fact, those are two of the most important Trap's (few) mistakes I have in memory. The other mistakes have to do with Fyssas, who I can't stand. Especially because I always liked Dos Santos very very much.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2005, 23:09
Star Player

I have limited funds right now, so this game is out of question.
I'll try to go to Lisbon for the class against Sporting and Boavista vs Benfica as well.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2005, 23:18 Thread Starter
Star Player

Ticket price is completely absurd right now. My last appearence in a stadium was in the painful Benfica-Porto (0-1) and I can't be paying that much. I spent 30 euro in Casa do Benfica de Coimbra to get ticket + travel but I presume the price will get higher in these final matches. Anyway, the usual prices for non-supporters are around 10 and 20 euro between both bottom table teams. For me, it's very expensive. Anyway, if Superliga + SportTV would decide to fixture more matches in the afternoon, with day light, it would be much better for everyone who likes football.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old April 10th, 2005, 21:38
World Class Player

Rio Ave 1 Benfica 0
(Miguelito)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old April 10th, 2005, 22:54 Thread Starter
Star Player

Benfica made a good match, in my opinion. They played like they needed to play but they missed the good chances they had to score. It happens. Saulo was really great and Benfica players couldn't stop him.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old April 10th, 2005, 22:58
World Class Player

Agreed, I too liked the way Benfica played today ... especially the second half, but I found it above stupid to risk to much in the last minute and run into their counter-attack, honestly. Going home with one point would've been sufficient after we wasted our chances.
Plus: I wouldn't have substituted Geovanni, he again had a great match. Well, maybe he was tired. He ran a hell of a lot, same as Miguel.

5 minutes to go in Alvalade, still scoreless. Will the others help us once again?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old April 10th, 2005, 23:06
World Class Player

Oh those last minute goals. Sporting just scored.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old April 10th, 2005, 23:42
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
we lost a game we tried to win. true that our 1st half was waaaaayyyy to permissive, but our second half performance should have been enough to grab the victory. the defeat was very very bitter. specially when u think mora did a few awesome defenses and quim only had to make one at 9m

sporting is very close now, so we cant rest

ps: im getting really fed up with nuno assis

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old April 11th, 2005, 01:36
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
No words can explain how pissed I am right now...

O GLORIOSO

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old April 11th, 2005, 01:50
Premier Player
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPedroCat
I spent 30 euro in Casa do Benfica de Coimbra to get ticket + travel but I presume the price will get higher in these final matches.
Dissapointing result today obviously. I will not dump on the team for losing when the attempted to go for the 3. In my mind, playing for the tie is what brings problems. A winning attitude is always needed- both is sports and life.

LPC: Are you a student? Because basing the cost to what we pay here in the US, 30 Euros for a ticket and travel seems like a very good bargain. We all have to live within our means, but when I consider $32 is what my local MLS team charges for it's seats, that comes across to me as a decent deal.

Also, when you say "travel", what does that get you?

“Despite popular belief, golf is not a waste of time.”
-Opening remark in Goofy's "How to Play Golf"
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2005, 13:43 Thread Starter
Star Player

I'm not a student anymore. Travel from Casa do Benfica includes the following:

- Bus travel to the stadium and return.
- Ticket to a cheap sector in the stadium.

The problem is that going on these travels is quite annoying because people there are a bit "javardos", if you know what I mean. So I'm 24 and I haven't got more patience to stand some things. Anyway, you can now buy easily tickets in www.slbenfica.pt or those Casas do Benfica but then you have some hard expenditures of transport.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2005, 14:33
Premier Player
Star Player

I guess the saying "You get what you pay for" rings it's head again. Riding the bus is probably the least desirable way for transportation. Subway rides tend to be short in nature, and a regular train can offer a higher level of comfort and seperation. Being stuffed inside a bus for a long trip is something I have learned to avoid.

“Despite popular belief, golf is not a waste of time.”
-Opening remark in Goofy's "How to Play Golf"
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2005, 14:58 Thread Starter
Star Player

Coimbra to Lisbon by that bus usually takes the same as Coimbra to Lisbon by the fastest train. You take some time to get into Lisbon's main access but you can't return to Coimbra in the night if you go by train - yes, this is a poor country. One day I went to see Benfica-Boavista (0-0) some years ago with my friends, by Casa do Benfica. In our return to Coimbra we suffered a major car accident which scared us a lot. That was just about when you leave Lisbon and it was about 0:30. So, there was a lot of confusion in the road because there were other bus trucks from other Casas do Benfica involved. Me and my friends had this "wise" decision to call for two taxis in the middle of the road. We asked the man to take us to the Sta.Apolónia train station (in Lisbon) and when we arrived we saw that there were no trains at that time. We weren't in the mood to wait 7 hours for the next train so we went to the police station there and asked them to know if the guys of the accident were still there. Thus, we asked for another taxi to get the accident place again! lol At 4:00 a.m we left to Coimbra. Today, I still don't know how the guys in the Mercedes were alive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in