Money!... Money!... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 22:27 Thread Starter
Star Player

Money!... Money!...

Rui Costa knows he has a sort of a door open in Benfica (not my intention because I think Benfica can't go for veteran players anymore...) and he keeps preferring money to all the rest. I don't blame him for wanting more money. I just consider ridiculous Rui Costa's behaviour because he's always saying Benfica is a beloved club for him and it would be great returning to Lisbon some day. The guy signs a new contract with Milan until 2007 and he's a backup. Tastes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 22:38
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
its a personal great disapointment, that hes acting this way in the end of his career. now it would be too late for him to come for us imo, i wouodnt want him for next season, but refusing again to come last year was very disapointing.

but football players are becoming more and more money grabbers, and they dont even mind if they dont play, as long as a lot of $ gets transfered to their accounts.

times are changing and players are more and more acting like financial assets themselves...which only justifies that the fans see them more and more as "results producing things", rather than "people"

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 22:53 Thread Starter
Star Player

As I said, I don't blame Rui Costa or any other player for preferring money. I just consider him ridiculous because he has been saying he would want to return to Benfica some day.

In opposition to that, I think players like Simão and Nuno Gomes, and possibly Petit, aren't very interested in being transferred abroad. Maybe due to lack of ambition, I don't know. They just don't seem interested in new adventures in other leagues and they are aware that Benfica are now a stronger team, with often appearences in Euro competitions (now CL) - they get more involved with the club. That cocktail of reasons take some players to stay in Portugal instead of going abroad (like João Pinto, for ex.).

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 23:09
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPedroCat
As I said, I don't blame Rui Costa or any other player for preferring money. I just consider him ridiculous because he has been saying he would want to return to Benfica some day.

In opposition to that, I think players like Simão and Nuno Gomes, and possibly Petit, aren't very interested in being transferred abroad. Maybe due to lack of ambition, I don't know. They just don't seem interested in new adventures in other leagues and they are aware that Benfica are now a stronger team, with often appearences in Euro competitions (now CL) - they get more involved with the club. That cocktail of reasons take some players to stay in Portugal instead of going abroad (like João Pinto, for ex.).
i blame him for making fun of the fans

when u go around for years saying u would like to finish ur career in a club, year yes and year yes, and then u keep renewing for another club, where u are even going to warm up the bench, i think its not a respectful nor respectable way to deal with people

as for the other players, i think both simao and nuno (and joao pinto)didnt like their experiences abroad, and so i dont see them leaving. and if we do, hopefully win this year the title, i dont see why any player would leave, unless its for a big amount of $ and for a big club, not for a 2nd tier team of a top league

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 23:18 Thread Starter
Star Player

In fact, I understand if Miguel wants to leave but only for a much bigger club than Benfica, like an Italian or English giant. He has that right. He's one of the best right-backs in the world so his value must match with a quality league, too. Under 15M euro I consider it a bad deal. But I agree with you when we talk about Ricardo Rocha, for example. If he's switching club, he's very unlikely to sign for a giant. Thus, signing with a mid-table club in Spain would make a big difference? Maybe if Benfica keeps the wage restriction for the players they want to. This has a lot of policy in it, as you know. The best "transfer" Benfica could make in the summer is to extend Petit's contract in the summer. However, I don't know the exact conditions of his transfer status because Boavista have 50% of Petit and I don't know if there are some pressures to sell him. Rocha's transfer I think it's quite unavoidable. Benfica simply don't extend his contract (with more wage) because Veiga must have something to do with it, any percentage when he was bought to Braga.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 23:28
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

yes, thats what i mean, i can understand a transfer to juve, milan etc etc, but never to teams like villareal, or real sociedad or along that :rollani:

as for the wages...i hope that if things go well and we can win the league, and get the CL spot...i think our main investment should be in keeping our players, including ricardo. unless of coz there are issues like agent fees etc, which suck:fero:

i think miguel is the only player we honestly will find a hard time keeping if they give us the 15m, which hes well well worth it. becoz we would be talking about big clubs, and better leagues, and hes a young player who still wants to make his money, win european titles, and hes entitled to it, as much as i would hate him to leave

then again, if he stays to play in CL, next year he might get a better contract so....we'll see

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 23:35
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
Rui Costa is a b*itch for signing another contract extension at Milan.

He should have ended his career with the club that borught him to glory.
& now would be the perfect time since you should qualify for champions league.

Is there any classy players left

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 23:40
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian50
Rui Costa is a b*itch for signing another contract extension at Milan.

He should have ended his career with the club that borught him to glory.
& now would be the perfect time since you should qualify for champions league.

Who the fvck are you? You guys are all full of shit...

Berlusconi wanted him to stick around for exactly why we wanted him. He is well-respected, loyal, and players and fans alike think of him as a true Milanista. Please, he took a 20% pay cut to stick around....

He is class. Forca Rui para sempre!
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 23:43 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian50

Many. I even respect more Paulo Sousa than Rui Costa. At least, he admmitted his mercanthilistic position as football player and confessed he doesn't care about club feelings. As inacio said, Rui Costa plays with Benfica's supporters.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 23:47 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo
Who the fvck are you? You guys are all full of shit...

He is class. Forca Rui para sempre!

At least he has something you haven't got.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 23:53
Flo
Legend

Quote:
At least he has something you haven't got.
Which is what? A pipe dream?

Football is a business and an entertainment industry. Rui Costa has and will always be my favorite Portuguese soccer player. Why? Not because he says he would love to be back at the Da Luz one day and then signs an extension with Milan the next. It's because of his classiness, his politeness, and him being a team player always first and foremost.

Most guys would bitch and moan if they were benched for both club (AC Milan this year) and country (Euro 2004) and not playing. Rui has kept his mouth shut and went about his business even scoring a couple of crackers off the bench last June. He also kicked ManU's arse all over the field in the CL.

If Milan is going to pay him more then more power to him. I doubt any of you jokers would say no if that money was thrown your way. He's got security to think about and maybe that little plane scare made him think differently. Give the guy a break, to compare him to Paulo Sousa is moronic. Rui Costa's right pinkie finger gave to his country more than Paulo Sousa ever did. So save it!!!
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2005, 00:11 Thread Starter
Star Player

So keep your passionate stuff because for me I only keep Rui Costa as a very good Portuguese player. Nothing more than that. And you're definitely right to say he gave a lot of him to the Portuguese Team. The way he moved against Deco's assimilation was quite classy and polite... How many months shall I wait for the next "I want to end my career in Benfica?" I don't say I would refuse the money, of course that's not the problem here. The problem is that I wouldn't launch false expectations every single year. And this is not a press issue. They talk to him and he replies with those false expectations. I haven't got anything pro or against Rui Costa, I just analyse his attitude and I can't find any classy stuff in it. That's all.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2005, 00:17 Thread Starter
Star Player

Speaking in classy guys, Rui Esteves was sent off from Quinta das Celebridades.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2005, 00:18
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo

I doubt any of you jokers would say no if that money was thrown your way.

since i guess im one of the "jokers", i should tell you that you dont know me well enough to doubt or to believe in anything that i might or might not do , so I wont even elaborate on that.

however you should read more carefully, as what has been said is that he has been claiming year after year for the past...well almost past 10 years, that he would do tomatoe and he ends up doing potatoe, thus not living up to his word, nor showing any respect for the people who have been supporting him all through his career

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2005, 00:21
Flo
Legend

Quote:
So keep your passionate stuff because for me I only keep Rui Costa as a very good Portuguese player. Nothing more than that. And you're definitely right to say he gave a lot of him to the Portuguese Team. The way he moved against Deco's assimilation was quite classy and polite... How many months shall I wait for the next "I want to end my career in Benfica?" I don't say I would refuse the money, of course that's not the problem here. The problem is that I wouldn't launch false expectations every single year. And this is not a press issue. They talk to him and he replies with those false expectations. I haven't got anything pro or against Rui Costa, I just analyse his attitude and I can't find any classy stuff in it. That's all.
Very good. He's the best #10 we'll see. Deco's not even Portuguese so screw him and the way he's been playing for the NT.

Fine. Deal with it. How you can be a Benfiquista and call Rui Costa unclassy is beyond me. Unbelievable is the way you don't understand the business and if you believe everything that people say then LPV and the rest of the classless Benfica management should've let you down years ago.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2005, 00:41 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo
Very good. He's the best #10 we'll see. Deco's not even Portuguese so screw him and the way he's been playing for the NT.

Fine. Deal with it. How you can be a Benfiquista and call Rui Costa unclassy is beyond me. Unbelievable is the way you don't understand the business and if you believe everything that people say then LPV and the rest of the classless Benfica management should've let you down years ago.
As for Deco's issue you know where this discussion will take, don't you? Anyway, I'm proud Deco represents Portugal. And if he would have assimilated Derlei I would have been happy as well. Just for the record.

I understand the business. That's why I consider Paulo Sousa a serious guy. He's a confessed professional, wants the money, understands the clubs' policy and he admitted that.

If I believe everything people say? Regarding what? I know what rumours make when Tiago left Benfica to Chelsea, or the same Veiga forced Sokota to end relations with Benfica. But as for Rui Costa, this is not a rumour. It's a fact. Rui Costa keeps feeding that expectation but he wants the money. If he told that he would want to quit Milan to join Benfica do you believe Vieira would close the door to a deal? Never, he even has Adidas partnership. He wants to join Benfica in 2007, is that so? Maybe for Shéu's replacement.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2005, 18:41
World Class Player

For me personally the topic Rui Costa returning as a Benfica-player is closed with that contract-extension. We are, concerning our player-policy, obviously no old-men's-home and I do not want us to become one. The topic of Rui Costa returning to the club in some other position, scout, coach, representative or whatever, is a different thing. Sure I'd like to see him envolved at the club again one day, but not as a player.
Just that you don't get me wrong: It's not like I'm lacking respect for or do not admire Rui Costa. I love Eusebio for example for what he has done for the club, but would not appreciate seeing him in today's squad as a player, if you know what I mean.
As for the extension with Milan itself: It is his free decision and I don't feel comfortable to rate this to any extend. I can try to get some inside-knowledge when reading my daily papers carefully about how much he earns more or less now. But actually those papers can't tell me if the money or anything else was the main reason for him to stick with Milan. Probably his family in very happy in the italian metropole and that fact made his decision. Just as the papers I can only guess. So my conclusion on this matter is: I won't forget what a great player Rui Costa was for Benfica (and not only for them, but I am Benfiquista and so I recognize this slightly more) and now that he extended with Milan I hope he is happy there and furthermore wish him all the best.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2005, 19:43 Thread Starter
Star Player

Correct but then why promising to wear again the #10 as he does every year?
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2005, 19:50
Flo
Legend

Quote:
Correct but then why promising to wear again the #10 as he does every year?
Get over it already will ya...The ex-girlfriend, as good as she was to you, isn't coming back.....
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2005, 20:09
Premier Player
Star Player

Teams: Benfica
He's doing us a minor favor at this point. Benfica is currently closer to running Porto's business plan than Porto is (Buy Low/Sell High. Go after players with something to prove/Avoid "Star" players). Rui Costa is a great player, but I never saw a scenario where he would return and everything would be hunky-dory.

He left over 10 years ago to plow the field of high level Euro football. He's done himself and the country proud during that time. He's not coming back, and it's best for him and the club.

I think at this point his role at Milan is pretty solid. He comes off the bench and gives them quality minutes or starts when needed. That's perfect!
He's not 22. I don't see much shame in him conceding time to Kaka. At some point, someone else did the same for Rui. He understands his place better than most fans. And because of it, he may end up retiring with a European Cup medal and a financial security for his grandchildren.

If Benfica were still "BENFICA": with money to burn and Champions League contention a yearly happening, he would have returned. But it's not. It's still in the middle of a prolonged process to recognize that the world has changed, and the club has to follow suit. They show some signs of understanding that. Commiting a significant portion of their budget to Rui Costa would show me that they still are clueless.

“Despite popular belief, golf is not a waste of time.”
-Opening remark in Goofy's "How to Play Golf"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in