Rumours-thread summer 2005 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 13:15 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Rumours-thread summer 2005

So, we all know the rumours about Miguel or Petit leaving probably for the end of the season for example, which should, given there's any news on this surely be subject of this thread. But what I for now am interested in is:
What's you wishlist? Whom would you like to join Benfica this summer? (realistic guesses are as welcome as utopic ones )

Here's mine:

Antchouet ... impresses me highly at Belenenses, scored 12 goals so far if I'm not mistaken, he's got pace speed and the ability to score

Joao Tomas ... should be an option if we can't land Antchouet. I would personally like to see him back in Benfica, since he was my favourite Benfica-player back in 2001. I believe in his abilities to bang in 20 a season with the right team at his back, as he is pure goalgetter. He's doing good with Braga and scored 10 so far I think. However, no need to sign two strikers.

Fabio Felicio ... young and gifted product of the Farense-youth-system. Scored tremendous goals when still playing in Academica. This season he is in Leiria. Unfortunately I couldn't catch too much of him playing this year, but I think he might be one for the future.

Samuel Kuffour ... consistent Bayern-defender for years now with contract running out, could definately strenghen our defence if Luisão should move

Dellas ... proven defender, who made himself a big name in the Euro 2004, contract running out as well, probably THE substitute for Luisão.

Giannichedda ... very versatile Lazio-midfielder, contract running out and we know Lazio will struggle to renew with their financial situation

Zenden ... incredibly fast winger, not sure about this one though, as we need to develop Joao Pereira's and Carlitos' abilities on the wings by playing them here and there ... contract running out

From what I know, a lot more interesting player's contracts run out, for example:
Traore, Touré, Ezquero, Celades, Nonda, Urzaiz

Probably we can get our piece of the cake this summer

Last edited by Bier; April 7th, 2005 at 20:51.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 14:29
Star Player

from that list i would only sign Antchouet. Giannichedda is also a good player but only if Petit leaves. Manuel Fernandes is staying so we need a different type of midfield-player. João Alves is one of the best and would be a very good signing. Touré and Nonda (and even Ezquerro) are unrealistic targets, in my opinion. Traoré, Celades, Zenden, Tomás or Felício wouldn't bring anything new to the team. Kuffour is no longer the same player and Benfica don't need that; Dellas is not a top defender but I agree that if Luisão leaves we need a good replacement. Basically, that's why Anderson and André Luís were bought, but we need other centre-back besides Alcides.

If the Luisão deal to Inter is confirmed, then Karagounis would be a very good signing for us. I also don't believe that both Quim and Moreira will stay at the club. Or Quim is sold to Dinamo Moscow or Moreira will be transferred to a big European club - I prefer the first option. The main doubts are about Miguel and Petit's possible transfers...
post #3 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 14:35
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
i like hugo alcantara, i wouldnt mind him for defense. and hes still 25 i think .

the issue is gonna be...do we need one or two defenders, depending on whether ricardo rocha leaves or not...i would prefer him to stay, raise his salary and keep him

for striker i think joao tomas would be "ok", but i would rather hire a younger player..hes already 29, and we need to keep a new striker playing for a few years imo

i would like zenden, maybe not a prioority, which is a midfielder i think, but he sure would bring more depth to our team...joao pereira is very hardworking, but i have serious doubts on carlitos. he needs to evolve a LOT, very selfish and lazy

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"

post #4 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 14:44 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPedroCat
from that list i would only sign Antchouet. Giannichedda is also a good player but only if Petit leaves.
Antchouet would be my first option as well to be honest, and yes, I'd keep Petit over signing Giannichedda as well.

Quote:
I also don't believe that both Quim and Moreira will stay at the club. Or Quim is sold to Dinamo Moscow or Moreira will be transferred to a big European club - I prefer the first option.
I fear that too and though I back the nomination of Quim as regular-starter for this season and am actually proud to see two goalkeepers of that quality at the club this season, I'd as well chose Moreira for a longer-term-stay, due to his young age.
post #5 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 14:49 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
the issue is gonna be...do we need one or two defenders, depending on whether ricardo rocha leaves or not...i would prefer him to stay, raise his salary and keep him
Wow, I didn't know he might leave as well, now that would really bring us into some trouble. He's something like our secret MVP in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
but i have serious doubts on carlitos. he needs to evolve a LOT, very selfish and lazy
Yeah, I must say I had this impression as well when seeing him play for Benfica sometimes. But I've been truely impressed by him somewhen last summer, before we signed him, in some important youth-competition, I can't recall what exactly. Under21 European Championship or something like this.
post #6 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 14:52
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier
Wow, I didn't know he might leave as well, now that would really bring us into some trouble. He's something like our secret MVP in my opinion.

yes, hes key to us and it really worries me that there are still rumours about how unhappy he is with his contract and how he talks of leaving to spain...i really hope the board raises his salary, its worth it, we should do our best to keep him, the man has not only quality as he has raça :thmbup:

post #7 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 15:08
Star Player

i feel that rocha and luisão will leave but Alcântara is very very poor on acceleration. Any decently paced player takes him with ease. Zenden hasn't got quality to play in Benfica. He might be fast with his legs but he's tremendously slow with his head and that's the worst. As left-winger or centre midfielder, Zenden didn't ever convince me. Receives the ball... BOOM! Long range shot. That's his game. joão tomás hasn't got much quality. any quality defender puts him in the pocket. He had a very good period in Benfica and the main reason was motivation, with José Mourinho. Besides that, he's so easy to mark.

Talking in Superliga, there are some players in the lower teams I think they would be useful for Benfica, instead buying abroad

Djurdjevic and Targino (Guimarães), João Alves and Abel (Braga), Zé Manel and Nélson (Boavista), Manduca and Alan (Marítimo), Paulo César (Rio Ave), Antchouet and Amaral (Belenenses), Beto (Beira-Mar). Bruno Moraes (Setúbal) is a good player but he's loaned by Porto. There are other two players I rate highly but they are already 30: Luís Mário (Guimarães) and Caíco (Leiria). Edson (Leiria) would be a good midfielder, not as left-back.
post #8 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 15:12
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid, Ajax, Slovenian NT
Can anybody tell me if Zahovic is still at the club or did he leave?
post #9 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 15:14
Star Player

He left in the winter transfer window, free transfer. Mutual agreement.
post #10 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 15:14
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

he left in december

post #11 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 15:38
Legend

how bad that also our fave players get old, isn't it? I've heard rumours he left Benfica and there have been a few clubs interested in him, but I think he's not playing anywhere for the moment.
He's a nice guy btw, talked to him on a few occasions when he played for our NT.
post #12 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 15:41
Star Player

i heard some things that he used to beat his wife.
post #13 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 15:45
Star Player

how did you talk to him? you're a journalist?
post #14 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 15:47
Legend

I wouldn't know and probably only his wife knows that. Towards fans football players use to show their sunny side. ,)

He's from my home town Maribor and people always talk a lot about him. He's seen every now and then drunk in the cities best restaurants, but that's of course his own problem.
post #15 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 15:52
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by lili

He's from my home town Maribor and people always talk a lot about him. He's seen every now and then drunk in the cities best restaurants, but that's of course his own problem.
he had that drinking problem in Lisbon, too. That's why we weren't surprised with his low stamina.
post #16 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 15:58
Legend

Quote:
how did you talk to him? you're a journalist?
No. My husband and me travelled once with our NT to a qualifier to Belgrade and whilst waiting for the plane i've taken some pics and we talked a bit. Nothing big btw, mainly about the comming match.

Also the trainings of our NT are on a smaller playground and usually opened for public, so there's no problem to get closer. I've even trained our nt goalie Simeunovic once. Our official goalie coach is a big joker and when i asked Simke to pose for a pic, the coach offered me to kick him the ball a bit. Don't ask how that looked like. Well, at least i have the comfort I'm better in cooking than he is. p
post #17 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 16:06
Star Player

lol you could train our NT keeper, too. he needs some.
post #18 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 16:25 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
lol you could train our NT keeper, too. he needs some.
never tired of doubting Ricardo we won't rest until Quim or Moreira finally took his place, eh?

To the Zahovic-matter: Doesn't slovenian press come up with rumours sometimes where he might play next year?
It's a pity with his alcohol-escapades, think they avoided him being a real crack.
post #19 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 16:39
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier
never tired of doubting Ricardo we won't rest until Quim or Moreira finally took his place, eh?
To be honest, Quim is not better than Ricardo. Ricardo has been in a bad moment, but overall, he's probably better than Quim.
post #20 of 367 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2005, 16:49 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Well, I for my part rate all 3 great goalkeepers. Quim impressed me in Braga and still does with Benfica (though he had occasions yesterday where he looked a bit shaky). Ricardo was great in Boavista and in Sporting he is sometimes a bit shaky as well. Well and Moreira is the future, no doubt here.
Overall I think Portugal can be glad to be in such a good situation, concerning the man between the posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in