Xtratime Champions Cup 2007/08 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2007, 15:51 Thread Starter
International

Xtratime Champions Cup 2007/08

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Xtratime Champions Cup 2007/08!

The time of waiting for you is over, from now on preparations for this year’s cup are starting. However, you will still have to wait until September that you can start predicting.

There are some changes and adjustments for XCC 2007/08. They’re based on both the experiences and your feedback to last season’s XCC – and your feedback is what I want now (see below) as well.

The first changes for this season are the number of participants and the format. There will be 48 participants, three quarters of those (=36) will be “hand-picked” by me and are reserved for all those who are known (by me) as reliable, regular predictors – because having participants who really care about the competition is what makes the competition interesting and successful. The remaining 12 starting places are available for all others who are interested.
To take part you have to sign up in the sign-up thread.

The Format:

To “win” one of the 12 generally available starting-places you’ll have to take part in the qualification-rounds. There will be 4 matchdays for qualification, deciding who goes through. The results will both determine your “ability” to participate regularly as well as your knowledge. So for the final standings in the qualification your results will be multiplied with a factor: times 1.3 if you participate in all for 4 rounds, times 1.2 for participation in 3 rounds and times 1.1 for participation in two rounds. Winners of domestic prediction leagues will be invited to take part and will have a bonus of 2 points for the qualification.

The group-stage will have 6 groups of 8. There will be 14 group-games, so everyone plays the other group-members twice.

Next is the round of 32, and from that we will continue in two legged knock-out-games until the final. The first 5 of each group will qualify for the round of 32. I’m yet unsure how to complete this round, there are two options: a) the best two group-winners automatically go through to the round of 16, b) the on “goals scored” best two not-qualified participants go through to the round of 32. Please give me your opinion on that.

For the 6 groups there won’t be any seeded players, but there will be two qualifiers in each group.

There won’t be a previously set modus for the knock-out games, but the best 12 won’t be drawn against each other in the round of 32. The remaining group-winners won’t be drawn against each other in the round of 16 as well.

Timeline:

Overall there will be 28 matchdays. The second leg of the final will (traditionally) be on the weekend before the Champions League final, that’s 16th to 18th of Mai. There will be a (rather short) winter-break, one week break after the qualification-rounds, one week break after the first 7 group-games, one week break after the last matchday of the group-stage and a short break during the knock-out-stage.

The temporary timeline is as follows:

7.9.-9.9.: Qualification, round 1
28.9.-30.9.: Qualification, round 2
12.10.-14.10.: Group-stage, game 1
22.2.-24.2.: Group-stage, game 14
7.3.-9.3.: Round of 32, 1st leg
14.3.-16.3.: Round of 32, 2nd leg
28.3.-30.3.: Round of 16, 1st leg
2.5.-4.5.: Semifinal, 2nd leg
9.5.-11.5.: Final, 1st leg
16.5.-18.5.: Final, 2nd leg

The exact timeline will be announced shortly.

Games to predict:

For the first time there will be 12 games per matchday to predict.

My suggestion is to have these 12 games broken down as follows:
1 game each of the 5 European top-leagues (England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France)
2 games of the “more important” smaller European leagues
2 games of the “average” European leagues
1 game of the small European and non-European leagues
2 games of the “big” non-European leagues (South America, Australia, etc.)

There’ll probably be some slight adjustments in the winter-months.

Please tell me what you think of that system. Also please rate the importance of the following leagues by awarding points: from 5 for the most important ones (e.g. Netherlands) to 1 for the small ones (e.g. Wales).

Albania
Andorra
Armenia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia-Hercegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Faroe Islands
Finland
Georgia
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Israel
Kazachstan
Kosovo
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxemburg
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Montenegro
Netherlands
Northern Ireland
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
San Marino
Scotland
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
Ukraine
Wales

Like in the past there will be a thread for each matchday, offering basic informations on the games to predict an the fixtures in the XCC-competitions.

Special rules:

If you manage to predict all 12 games of one matchday correctly, you’re automatically awarded the title XCC 2007/08 Super-Champion.

In the group stage the following bonus-points are achievable:

for 9 out of 12: 1 bonus-point
for 10 out of 12: 2 bonus-points and automatic qualification for the round of 32.
for 11+ out of 12: 3 bonus-points and automatic qualification for the round of 32 as “group-winner”.

Tie-breakers:

in the qualification:

If you’re equal on points after the scores have been multiplied with the relevant bonus-factors, the following criterions apply:

-) Number of predictions made
-) Higher single score
-) Winner of domestic PL
-) Regular predictor in past XCC-competitions
-) Coin-toss

in the group-stage:

If you’re equal on points after 14 matchdays, the following criterions apply:

-) Points without bonus-points
-) Goals scored
-) Direct duell
-) Highest single-score
-) Tie-breaker (to be played before the round of 32)

in the knock-out rounds:

If you’re equal on goals after the 2nd leg, the following criterions apply:

-) Higher single score: e.g. 6+4 is better than 5+5
-) Direct duell in group stage (if both were in same group)
-) Goals scored in the group-stage
-) Highest single score in group-stage
-) Tie-breaker (to be played before the next round)

Predicting:

There are also two little changes for you when you predict.
As usual you will use the prediction league set up in the PL-system (here). I will try to have predictions up at least 10 days before they are due to predict, so that you can predict in advance if you already know you would otherwise miss the round. (Forgive me, if I don’t make it in time for every matchday.) If you are unavailable for more than one matchday, please contact me – usually I choose most games some weeks in advance so I could allow you to predict for further rounds via PM.
Official deadline to predict will be Friday, 18:00 CET. This is to allow picking Friday’s games, as unfortunately more and more leagues decide to have games on Friday. However, for all the other games there will remain the chance to predict until Saturday, 12:00 CET.

Finally once again the questions I’d like you to answer before the cup starts:

-) Do you want
a) the best two group-winners to go through to the round of 16
b) the on “goals scored” best two not-qualified participants in the round of 32.

-) What do you think of the choice for the 12 games to predict?

1 game each of the 5 European top-leagues (England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France)
2 games of the “more important” smaller European leagues
2 games of the “average” European leagues
1 game of the small European and non-European leagues
2 games of the “big” non-European leagues (South America, Australia, etc.)

-) Rate the following leagues: 5 points for the most important ones, to 1 point for the small ones.

Albania
Andorra
Armenia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia-Hercegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Faroe Islands
Finland
Georgia
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Israel
Kazachstan
Kosovo
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxemburg
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Montenegro
Netherlands
Northern Ireland
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
San Marino
Scotland
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
Ukraine
Wales

-) If someone knows a program to calculate football tables automatically – or if someone knows how to do that in a simple excel-file – please tell me or forward the program – that would dramatically speed up the process of getting each week’s results in the group stage.

Please answer the questions in this thread, thanks for your help!

And now: Sign up for XCC 2007/08 here!

Last edited by tgv325; August 12th, 2007 at 16:00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2007, 20:28 Thread Starter
International

Participants:

tgv325
TomRSCA
Harry Potter
Runes Order
Filipe Reis
maradona10
Angle_eyes
MetinK5
Barca_AT19
Lista
ac_milan_foreva
Xtreminal
grover_1214
BBB76
Teddy Bear
Q007
Dule
kicker
Barca King
Blue @ngel
Pepinovic
audiollama
Yacoob
Poland-Cement
positive focus
Ezekiel, 25:17
Marvin
O Glorioso
Jenas
HajdukSplit
La_Fadabeilo
Andy Christ
zloca
Sampan
ilgenio
Bosanac
Fernando Torres
Gun u dOWN
Carles
The Judge
jimbo jones
FC Barcelona9
Gipson
Assim
fats
Tok87
Xieldos
AI_Melo
Alex e Champion
Moe
ViRiPiDES
Btvs
Sergen Yalcin
Alban

Last edited by tgv325; September 23rd, 2007 at 22:18.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in