2013/14 Season - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2013, 13:48 Thread Starter
Premier Player

2013/14 Season

It's almost time for Torino to begin their quest for a 2014/15 seria a season. An opener against Sassuolo will be very telling. Mainly, it will set the expectation for the season at 1 of the 2 following goals:

1) Try to stay out of the relegation battle (ie finish around 12th-15th).

2) Try to 'win' the relegation battle with the 'other' bottom dwelling teams (ie play for 17th place).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2013, 00:34
Forum Manager
Rising Star

Teams: Torino, Inter
Thanks for posting. I tried to do a proper season opening post a few days ago, but forgot my ^#[email protected]!#&# password.

We need just enough success to build stability. Meeting goal number #1 will keep us focused on building for the future (adding more players in January) and out of crisis mode (worrying about coach issues).

Sassuolo is a great opener. Not necesarily easy, but not hopelessly difficult either. These are the matches we need to win consistently all season.

Forza Toro!
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2013, 21:59
Forum Manager
Rising Star

TORO - Sassuolo FT 2-0

Great opening statement! Cerci scores in his new role. Nice win out of the box. Let's keep this going. Next up: Atalanta.

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2013, 04:54
Star Player

Teams: Torino,China NT
20130825 Torino 2-0 Sassuolo
almost full match record
not high quality
http://player.youku.com/player.php/s...MzgyOTUy/v.swf
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2013, 04:56
Star Player

it's lucky that sassuolo's 3 fowards have NO A experience
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2013, 13:58 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaren View Post
20130825 Torino 2-0 Sassuolo
almost full match record
not high quality
http://player.youku.com/player.php/s...MzgyOTUy/v.swf
THANK YOU!

Please keep posting these throughout the season, if you can.
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2013, 14:06 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaren View Post
it's lucky that sassuolo's 3 fowards have NO A experience
True, but all you can do is beat the team placed in front of you. It's nice to be able to start off with a new formation, along with many new players, with a win. Hopefully this will build a little confidence to keep getting wins against the smaller teams, as well as steal a point now and then against the top.

I hope the new 'system' isn't played as strictly as the one last year. A mid-to-low level club needs to adapt more to the current game, instead of playing the same tactics every week. Probably one of Ventura's greatest faults.
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2013, 20:36 Thread Starter
Premier Player

The Torino forum isn't going to get much of a look with all the European football talk, but what's your take on the Dossena signing?

Personally I think this is a great fit. He's clearly skilled, but not longer a main option for a top team (Napoli last year). He also doesn't fit that well into a back 4 (Palermo last year). With Ventura's move to a 3-5-2 (5-3-2), I think he'll be a great piece to have on the left.
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2013, 04:56
Star Player

Dossena failed to pass physical examination...
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2013, 14:15
Forum Manager
Rising Star

Atalanta - TORO 3-0 FT

Disappointing, but not altogether surprising. Match wasn't on TV in my area, so I didn't see it. I've read mixed reports. Some indicate we played well, and deserved at least a draw. Others suggest too much tinkering by Ventura.

I may break down and start studying Italian seriously just to be able to read ToroNews and La Stampa regularly. Google Translate is not substitute.
post #11 of 93 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2013, 16:09 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by holofernes View Post
Atalanta - TORO 3-0 FT

Disappointing, but not altogether surprising. Match wasn't on TV in my area, so I didn't see it. I've read mixed reports. Some indicate we played well, and deserved at least a draw. Others suggest too much tinkering by Ventura.

I may break down and start studying Italian seriously just to be able to read ToroNews and La Stampa regularly. Google Translate is not substitute.
English speaking Torino fans probably already know this site, but this is a must read: http://www.torinofcinglese.com/

I'm far from competent in Italian, but learning some of the basic 'calcio' terms will go a long way to breaking down a 'box score', or getting a basic grasp of a match report.
This may help: http://www.beyondthepitch.net/articl...minology-guide
post #12 of 93 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2013, 14:43
Forum Manager
Rising Star

Awesome! Thanks for the tips.

I've seen the first site before. Well done. Have tried to comment on several occassions, but can never make it work. I blame the antiquated equipment in my office.

Second site is also great.

My service doesn't carry BEIN Sports, which is the carrier of Serie A in the USA. However, we do get RAI, so my calcio is all Italiano.
post #13 of 93 (permalink) Old September 13th, 2013, 17:07
Forum Manager
Rising Star

Tough match tomorrow against Milan. Time to find heart and stand tall. The curva must help carry the squad to greatness.
post #14 of 93 (permalink) Old September 13th, 2013, 19:39 Thread Starter
Premier Player

The most I'm hoping for here is a draw. I don't think Torino can keep Milan from scoring. Fortunately, Milan's defense is not where it should be for a top club, and that's before the injuries. I read that Cerci is doubtful, which would put a huge dent in the attack though.
post #15 of 93 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2013, 17:34 Thread Starter
Premier Player

I guess Torino achieved what I was 'hoping' for... in possibly the most painful way. That's a tough way to draw a point against a big club. Ouch!
post #16 of 93 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2013, 17:36
Star Player

Arbitro: Massa di Imperia
he's the best player of milan
post #17 of 93 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2013, 15:25 Thread Starter
Premier Player

There is always some degree that you can blame the ref in any game (and this gets magnified in games involving Juve, Milan, & Inter), but the team needs to be able to withstand the attack that comes at the end of any game you are in the lead. Especially with a 2 goal cushion to protect. I fear this is the type of thing that can get stuck in the minds of the players when in a similar situation in the future.

The 2 end of game errors by Torino are more frustrating for me. A cross into the box, that Padelli can get 2 hands on, needs to be caught. At the very least, punched out to a less dangerous area than the top of the box. Contact on a punch out is rarely called, but given almost every time on a catch attempt.

Then you have the issue of the defender reaching for a tackle, inside the box, on a player that's up against the end line. That is just poor decision making. He got stuck in a bad spot sure, but you have to know to play smarter than that and play off the ball. Make the attacker make a great play, and don't give them a bailout.
post #18 of 93 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2013, 13:42
Forum Manager
Rising Star

Bologna-TORO 1-2 FT

Awesome win. Great to pick up three points on the road. And now there is talk of D'Ambrosio breaking into the National Team.

Next week is Verona at home. Let's keep this going. These are the teams we need to beat each week.

Last edited by holofernes; September 26th, 2013 at 15:07.
post #19 of 93 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2013, 17:43 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by holofernes View Post
Bologna-TORO 1-2 FT

Awesome win. Great to pick up three points on the road. And now there is talk of D'Ambrosini breaking into the National Team.

Next week is Verona at home. Let's keep this going. These are the teams we need to beat each week.
A great win, and I agree it's always welcomed to hear talk of Torino players joining the National Team. I'm surprised there aren't any whispers for Darmian though. Obviously more of a defensive player, but Prandelli goes with a 4 man defense often. I'd be happier with Darmian's defensive ability throughout the game, than Maggio possibly doing something 1 or 2 times offensively while giving up far too many chances.
post #20 of 93 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2013, 22:30
Forum Manager
Rising Star

TORO - Verona: 2-2 FT

Nice to see Cerci scoring like this, but a real missed opportunity to take three points at home. We have to shut the door on these leads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in