World Cup 2010 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2010, 21:07 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
World Cup 2010

I know I haven't been around much lately, but I thought it would be fun to get some more discussion going between the few of us who post here, so with the World Cup upcoming, I figure it would be fun to talk about the world of soccer/football outside our club and domestic competitions.

So who do you think will take it? Predictions for the group stages? Any flops or any dark horses you think might emerge?

I personally am looking forward to the World Cup. I know there has been some discussion about how a number of coaches did not pick their strongest squad, but I think if the coach has formulated what he think s is a winning plan and picks the players that best fit that plan, then there is no problem. Still, some of the picks are questionable, but we'll see.

I am going to particularly follow the progress of my native USA and my adopted Chile NT, as well as Italy. I think all three teams will get out of their groups, though the USA's group is going to be harder than many think and Switzerland and Honduras could pose some problems for Chile. Italy should get out of their groups, but I think Paraguay has a pretty good squad, especially up front (Oscar Cardozo, Roque Santa Cruz, Lucas Barrios, and Nelson Valdez, for starters). Slovakia is also a tricky team.

Also, Torino will be contributing a player to the World Cup, as Rambo León will be representing Honduras and could very well be in their first XI. Furthermore, Torino youth products Fabio Quagliarella and Federico Marchetti were both named in Lippi's 28-man preliminary squad. Both could go, be are not guaranteed picks, IMO.

Of course if the playoffs are still going on when the World Cup starts (and I imagine/hope they will be, meaning we are in the finals), then we might have other things to think about for the first few days of the tournament.

Still, exciting stuff, 23 days!

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2010, 09:40
Star Player

Teams: Torino,China NT
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2010, 08:57 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Former Toro man Vince Grella started for Australia in the 4-0 defeat against Germany, but only played the first 45 minutes and was subbed when the score was 2-0.

NWO BABY

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2010, 09:11
Star Player

vince has been on a down trend since left us...his unlucky but....nice deal for toro
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old June 17th, 2010, 16:13 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Unfortunately, our only current player in the World Cup, León, was dropped from Honduras after picking up an injury before the first match with Chile.

Our youth product Marchetti replaced Buffon after he was injured, and I imagine will be Lippi's first choice for the rest of the tournament, now that Buffon is most likely out. Quagliarella didn't see any action in Italy's first game.

NWO BABY
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2010, 16:04 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Watching Ghana-Australia, and I just recalled we had Asamoah for a half a season, can't believe we didn't hold on to him, this was when his contract was still owned by Bellinzona too, before he had gone to Udinese.

NWO BABY
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2010, 17:17 Thread Starter
World Class Player

USA Italia

NWO BABY
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2010, 18:20
Star Player

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in