We miss "Il Genio" Corini - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2008, 17:24 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
We miss "Il Genio" Corini

Throughout the season so far, our attack has been toothless. Although our poor defense has been the main culprit for our failure, every time we play we seem devoid of ideas attacking. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we attack like a Serie B team. Why? Eugenio Corini's been injured the whole season. I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about this (or indeed written about this earlier), but we desperately miss him and the creativity and range of passing he brings to the table. At the very least I feel that we'd be playing some high-scoring games with him around, but the fact of the matter is, except for our opening-day victory against Lecce we have never scored more than three goals in league play and never won by a margin of more than a goal. At the same time we have shipped at least three goals in five of our games and lost by at least two goals margins in same amount of games.

We desperate need Corini back - if he can regain fitness our attack will be much better off. Despite his age he is the most creative player we have and crucial to our offesnive capabilities. Dzemaili, Zanetti, Barone, and Säumel are certainly good central midfielders, but they don't bring that attacking power that Corini does. If we cannot either get Corini fit or bring in a suitable player like him in January (and there are few of those around), then we'll be screwed for the rest of the season.

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2008, 22:16
Rising Star

Teams: Inter, OGC Nice
There's actually been quite a bit written on the fan sites about how badly the team miss Corini, so you're in no way alone in feeling that way. I agree with you, though I think he's missed as much because of his leadership as anything else -- the moment anything goes wrong for this team on the pitch right now, they absolutely collapses emotionally and mentally, and there's no one to pick them or keep them focused. He's really the only true leader the team have, and there's a lack of mental strength when he's not there.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old December 25th, 2008, 01:39 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Indeed, I have seen that offered up as well. The problem there is it would be difficult to bring a new signing in and have him be the team leader, it is something that for Corini has developed over time. That being said, I do agree with Monzon that Volpi could help to partly solve Corini's absence:

http://www.channel4.com/sport/footba...ia/dec24m.html

NWO BABY

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old December 25th, 2008, 03:18
Rising Star

Corini actually was given the armband in, what, his third match for Toro? It's more his personality than anything else but, as you suggest, he's incredibly unusual in that he's looked up to from pretty much the moment he turns up.

I hate those C4 stories with no sources listed, but Volpi sounds a lot more practical a person to pursue than DDM, at least. And it'd be nice to get Dellafiore back, too, are Palermo hesitating to let him return, or something? What's going on there?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old December 25th, 2008, 03:40 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakana View Post
Corini actually was given the armband in, what, his third match for Toro? It's more his personality than anything else but, as you suggest, he's incredibly unusual in that he's looked up to from pretty much the moment he turns up.

I hate those C4 stories with no sources listed, but Volpi sounds a lot more practical a person to pursue than DDM, at least. And it'd be nice to get Dellafiore back, too, are Palermo hesitating to let him return, or something? What's going on there?
I don't remember it being that early, I'm pretty Comotto was captain early on in 07-08 but I know Corini stepped in very well as Comotto started to develop issues. Also, Corini had joined Torino early in the summer and had all of preseason to gel with the squad.

I doubt we'll pursue DDM in the January market, rather he will more likely come back to us when his loan at West Ham is up. (He had a great start there but after that hasn't done a whole lot.) I'm not sure what the situation with Dellafiore is at the moment. He seems to be behind a number of defenders in the pecking order (Bovo, Carrozzieri, Kjaer, and Raggi - the last of whom has also been linked to us), so I'm guessing its more a reluctance on Palermo's part than his. He is still young, especially for a defender so I think Palermo are unwilling to let him go on anything other than a loan deal.

Btw, we should move this discussion, apart from the Corini issue, to the transfer thread.

NWO BABY
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old December 25th, 2008, 04:09
Star Player

Teams: Torino,China NT
corini will come back in jan. ,dzemaili is considered as the vice-corini, he just need to improve his performance away.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old December 25th, 2008, 07:33 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Dzemaili is a good player, but he does not bring to the table what Corini does in terms of leadership and creativity.

NWO BABY
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2008, 11:02
Star Player

Quote:
Corini, ad esempio, lavorerà sulla sabbia, per non sollecitare troppo il suo tendine d’A­chille infiammato.
http://www.tuttosport.com/calcio/ser...+correre%C2%BB
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2008, 06:09
Star Player

Quote:
Gli allenamenti odierni
martedì 30 dicembre 2008

Doppia, intensa seduta di allenamento, oggi, per il Toro: lavori atletici, di tecnica e di tattica suddivisi nelle due sessioni. Buone notizie per Corini, che è tornato ad allenarsi in gruppo, e per Diana, che ha lavorato a lungo con i compagni.

Confermata da una nuova ecografia, invece, la diagnosi dell'infortunio di Rubin: lesione di primo/secondo grado del bicipite femorale sinistro. Stop di 4-5 settimane per lui.

http://www.torinofc.it/content/view/3989/61/
corini return to training with group
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2008, 06:11
Star Player

Quote:
corini is no longer untouchable, for GDB left and dzemaili explodes
http://www.tuttosport.com/calcio/ser...B9+intoccabile
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2008, 06:50 Thread Starter
World Class Player

That's unfortunate. Dzemaili is going to be a great player and has shown some signs of it, but at the moment he simply does not possess the ability to give the team that mental boost that they need, nor is he ready to be a leader on the pitch, IMO. We still need Corini, at least for the rest of this season. Glad to know he is back in training with the rest of the squad.

NWO BABY
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2008, 11:37
Rising Star

The story about Corini being allowed to leave worries me, because it's true that Novellino has never valued him as highly as GDB did. I can't imagine, though, that he can't see how much Corini's presence will/would stabilize this team -- hopefully we won't hear much more about possible departure until summer.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2009, 08:02
Star Player

officially retired
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2009, 01:44
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter; Stoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaren View Post
officially retired
Hadn't seen that. Well, guess it was overdue.

Corini.

Not bigotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze da Fiel View Post
Ive probably been the poster with most number of heated discussions in this board over the years.... and I can assure you I won at least 90% of them.
dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghat ka
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old July 16th, 2009, 02:00
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morierinho View Post
Hadn't seen that. Well, guess it was overdue.

Corini.
Il saluto di Corini ''Lo immaginavo diverso''

Da ieri non è più un calciatore. E’ scaduto il contratto che per due anni lo ha legato al Torino, l’ultimo dopo 22 anni di una carriera con pochi eguali per longevità. Questo, ufficialmente; perché nei fatti, Eugenio Corini non era più un calciatore già da tre mesi, dalla sostituzione al 55’ a Palermo nella gara di esordio di Camolese.
Raggiunto telefonicamente nel corso della puntata di ieri di EstaToro, “Genio” racconta la sua messa a riposo: “Ho appeso le scarpe al famoso chiodo”.
“Era una decisione che avevo preso all’inizio della stagione, e sulla quale non ero disposto a ripensare”, dice. “Stagione che avrei voluto diversa. Nel suo svolgimento, perché sono stato colpito da una tendinite che mi ha fatto giocare molto poco; e soprattutto nel suo esito, perché chiudere con una retrocessione era certamente l’ultima cosa che avrei voluto. Un dolore difficile da digerire”. Non solo per Corini, ma anche per molte migliaia di persone.
http://www.toronews.net/?action=article&ID=13308
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old July 16th, 2009, 02:55
Xtratime Legend

Il saluto di Corini indeed

Good luck to him.

Œuvres complètes de Fikret Smiljanić

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in