The Pilgrimage - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2008, 19:42 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
The Pilgrimage

So, I'm here in Torino and its great! Unfortunately this is my last of two nights here, but I've been making the most of my time here. Went to Filadelfia and Superga today, which was quite amazing. I'll post stories and pics when I get back to the US in a week and a half.

Unfortunately the Granata Store was closed today and is closed tomorrow so I won't be able to pick up anything there, but I did see some other shops carrying Toro gear so hopefully I can pick something up on my way out of town. I did pick up a nice postcard set dealing with Grande Torino at Superga, which had some other cool Toro stuff as well, despite mainly being a cathedral/crypt for the House of Savoy.

Anyways, hope everyone is doing well and I will post in more detail in a little while!

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2008, 03:02
Star Player

Teams: Torino,China NT
i can just say——i envy you!!!!!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2008, 03:14
Star Player

have you got to toro's HQ?

btw,could you also post it to my forum? i make a booking here

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2008, 16:58
Forum Manager
Rising Star

Teams: Torino, Inter
While you are there could you give Cairo a kick in the @$$ and tell him to start signing some players?????

Trip sounds great. I've been to Superga, but not Filadelfia. Its a must for my next trip. Enjoy!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2008, 16:21
Star Player

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2008, 16:25 Thread Starter
World Class Player

I just got back a day ago, I'll post pics and stuff shortly, I'm having a little trouble getting them off my camera.

NWO BABY
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2008, 17:04
Forum Manager
Rising Star

Welcome back! Looking forward to details and photos!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2008, 10:21
Star Player

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2008, 20:36
Forum Manager
Rising Star

AHEM!

Hey N! You forgot to share the glories of your "pilgrimage" with us. Seeing as how there is very little esle to talk about these days, how about some sharing?

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2008, 00:22 Thread Starter
World Class Player

I had uploading issues and this kind of slipped to the back of my mind. I'll get them up tomorrow. Really, I promise!

NWO BABY
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2008, 18:05
Star Player

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2010, 23:01 Thread Starter
World Class Player

So I'm sure you guys are wondering what happened here.

The bad news - my hard drive crashed a few weeks after the last post on this thread and I lost those pictures (I think my friends who I was there with might have some copies, but they haven't been able to find them). The good news - I'm leaving for Italy in a few hours and will be in Turin again, so I'll get those photos of Filadelfia and Superga again, plus I will get a chance to stop at the team store, which was closed last time I was there. Lastly, I'll be heading up to Como as well, and I believe that is where Gigi Meroni was laid to rest, so hopefully I can find his tombstone there.

NWO BABY
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2010, 15:44
Star Player

Quote:
The bad news - my hard drive crashed a few weeks after the last post on this thread and I lost those pictures (I think my friends who I was there with might have some copies, but they haven't been able to find them).
didn't you try some hard drive data rescue/recover software or service?
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2010, 19:44
Forum Manager
Rising Star

Have a great trip. Please pay our respects (including a ghost play or two) at the hallowed grounds and Superga (I never thought it would take this long to get back).
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2010, 14:33
Forum Manager
Rising Star

Welcome home! We expect details this time!

:smileani:
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2010, 16:31 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Not home yet, but I have pictures and they are backed up this time. I will try and upload them tonight, but the Internet is not exactly high-speed here, so it may have to wait a week.

Turin was great, though unfortunately we were passing through and had dinner set up with family so I didn't have time to make it to Filadelfia (though when I was discussing the visit, my dad reminded me that I had given some photos from my previous trip, and he thinks he may have some pics saved, which would be amazing). Did make it back to Superga though, and it was nice, seemed like there were a fair amount of people interested in the memorial, and in fact, apart from a wedding, I didn't see anyone that didn't at least stop by. My dad was really the only one familiar with the story of Grande Torino and Superga, and since I was with a lot of other family who had travelled from the States, it was very nice to be able to explain the significance of that spot and the importance it held to me and to share with the rest of my family my love for Torino.

I was also able to stop by the Granata Store, which was open this time. I went on a Saturday, whereas previously I had been in the city on a Sunday and Monday, the two days the store was closed. Didn't pick up a jersey, since you can get those fairly easily elsewhere, but I got a cool T-shirt, a scarf, and a great book by Franco Ossola (his father's namesake, who died in the crash) called Un secolo di Toro, a very comprehensive history released in 2006 for the centenary of the club. The store is not much, just a tiny shop on the Piazza Castello, the main square of Turin, but it was great to see a number of people shopping there, buying jerseys and balls for their children, and through that knowing that the passion for Toro is being passed down the generations.

I also met a lot of new family here in Italy, they are spread across Piemonte. I had met some of them previously that were Toro fans, but the new ones were mostly actually all Genoa fans, as the town was much closer to Genova than to Turin. Still, it was fun to talk calcio with them, though I did learn that the friendship between Genoa and Torino is not as warm as it used to be, actually owing to the events of 2005. As we know, Genoa were sent down to C1 for attempting to bribe Venezia players on the last day, but what some Genoa fans claim is that Torino, who would also benefit from a result, tried to influence the game the other way, as the Venezia players played very well in the first half, but since Genoa won and the Venezia directors were caught with Genoa's cash, Torino were never implicated in the scandal. I don't buy into it that much, but that is why some Genoa fans are less close to Toro than they used to be. Besides, if we had spent that money, I guess it was karma, since a month later we didn't have any.

Anyway, I will try and upload those pics. Also, I am in a town near Como right now, and I am hoping one of these next few days I can visit the cemetery there and see Meroni's tombstone.

I am actually going to try to come back as soon as possible, as my previous two trips have been in summer, so I haven't see a game in over a decade, depending on my work situation and how the Serie B schedule pans out, I might try and be back in the winter time, though I'm obviously not sure at all yet.

NWO BABY
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2010, 23:20
Forum Manager
Rising Star

Thanks for sharing. From what part of Piedmonte does your family come?

My wife's family is from the Canavese region just north of Torino near Caluso. We're hoping to get back there next summer.

Looking forward to your pictures.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2010, 23:32 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by holofernes View Post
Thanks for sharing. From what part of Piedmonte does your family come?

My wife's family is from the Canavese region just north of Torino near Caluso. We're hoping to get back there next summer.

Looking forward to your pictures.
My family comes from two places in Piemonte. First, from Val Maira, in the extreme west of the region, about a mile from the French border, about 50 miles southwest of Torino, and second, from Arquata Scrivia, a small town located in the southeast, roughly between Alessandria and Genova. (Those are the Genoa fans.) I also have a few relatives in the western part of Emilia-Romagna, in the mountains west of Parma.

NWO BABY
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2010, 15:25
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Sampdoria, Italian NT, Crystal Palace
Both places (Val Maira and Arquata Scrivia) I know very little, never been there ( :embarass: ), while I was born in Canavese so I know it very well.
BTW even if I'm 100% Piemontese I'm not a big fan of Piemonte and whenever I can I move to the south of Italy.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2010, 12:28
Rising Star

Teams: Torino, Sligo Rovers
I posted this on another thread, this thread might be a more apt place for it. For various reasons I haven't been over to see Toro play since they moved from the Delle Alpi. Hopefully I will make it over to the Olimpico at some stage in the next year. For the derby & other big games I found the Alpi to be a decent stadium (not as bad as I had been told), but for Seria B games it was at times a bit eerie! 12,000 supporters in the Delle Alpi always looked a bit lost (even if the Maratona was still a brilliant mix of colour & noise!).

Anyone be able to tell me what the Olimpico is like to attend a game seria a and/ seria b? Good atmosphere? Thanks (ps- totally envious of the trips naervod!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in