Mid-Season Review - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2007, 20:13 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
Mid-Season Review

While its technically not midsesaon, as we have two more legs of andata in January, it is now the winter break and I feel it would be good to review our performance thus far. In short, its pretty disappointing. We've had a number of draws that could be wins, but we simply can't do it. We've only won twice, home to Cagliari and Sampdoria. But here's what really gets me. Look at the win column: two. Tied for worst in Serie A with Reggina, Siena, and Cagliari. But look at the loss column: four. Tied for fifth fewest with Milan (who have played three fewer games than us), Atalanta (who have played one fewer game), Palermo, and Udinese, behind only Inter, Roma, Juventus in Fiorentina. So few losses yet 15th place in the table? Look at that 11 draws. Some of those - like today's away to Napoli are deserved. But look at games like last weekend against Roma, back at the beginning against Siena and Reggina, and look at the games like the Derby. These are the games we need to pick up full points from!

We have Livorno at home on January 13. On paper it should be the easiest three points we'll pick up all season, but what is needed to win is a change in the squad's mentality. A draw may be acceptable away to Palermo and Lazio, but it is not an acceptable result at home to Reggina, Siena, Genoa, or Catania. Let's not do the bare minimum to stay up, let's do more!

Part of the issue to me is Novellino. He seemed like a decent hire when he came, and he definitely is better than De Biasi or Zaccheroni, but now he is disappointing me greatly. The tactics are OK, but the mentality isn't I feel like he is largely responsible for the collective 'draw' mentality of the team. To add to issues, he has an incredibly short temper and has been sent off at least three times this season, while our players with the most red cards only have one. He costs our team alot because of his short temper. Should we replace him? Not yet, but if things don't turn around in first couple weeks after break we should consider it. Colantuono would be a great addition, he was unjustly fired by Zamparini at Palermo, but let's give Novellino a little more time.

As for the market, well, the great attack that we picked up in the summer is pretty much not clicking yet. Rosina is still our top scorer in the league with four goals, and although Ventola has three, there is no other player with more than one. Granted he's not been back long, but Di Michele still hasn't scored yet and aside from his brace this week in the Coppa, he's been pretty disappointing. Part still feels this area of the team has been shifted around alot and not had a chance to gel, so adding more forwards in the market, even if names like Lucarelli, Zampagna, and even Bonazzoli are available then it might not be a great idea to pick them up.

Same sort of story in the midfield, its been shifted around so much, there is not really much chance to gel. Corini has been a highlight and the only one (along with Rosina), consistently there. I'm not sure how many new midfielders we need though. Vailatti and Bottone are good prospects, and Barone, Corini, and Grella are certainly good, they just need to play together more, and Zanetti's not bad either.

We can focus on the defense. I think a solid left-back who can hold down a first team place would be good since Lanna doesn't seem to be able to do that, Rubin is injured for a good deal of the season, and I'd rather see Dellafiore in the center. At center-back we need another player as the line of just Dellafiore, Di Loreto, and Natali is awfully thin, and when Dellafiore is playing left-back we have no subs. Franceschini is a non-entity, so a center-back would be great.

So basically, no changes to the front two-thirds except for in mentality, but a couple defenders would be great.

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2007, 13:15
Star Player

Teams: Italia, Torino and AC Milan
Good review

On Novellino.......i really dont like the guy and never wanted him to come, I dont agree with his tactics (playing Lanna and Motta in a 3 man midfield etc) and like you said, his mentality, the guy is only good for draws........on top of that, he really is not bringing the best out of Rosina and with his coaching style I dont think he everr will, lets bring in Colantuono if things dont start to improve

About Di Michele.......he will comee good, I'm sure of it
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2007, 19:03
Legend

Teams: Roma
Quote:
Originally Posted by naervod
Part of the issue to me is Novellino. He seemed like a decent hire when he came, and he definitely is better than De Biasi or Zaccheroni, but now he is disappointing me greatly. The tactics are OK, but the mentality isn't I feel like he is largely responsible for the collective 'draw' mentality of the team. To add to issues, he has an incredibly short temper and has been sent off at least three times this season, while our players with the most red cards only have one. He costs our team alot because of his short temper. Should we replace him? Not yet, but if things don't turn around in first couple weeks after break we should consider it. Colantuono would be a great addition, he was unjustly fired by Zamparini at Palermo, but let's give Novellino a little more time.
I think Novellino should be fired now...why wait? We all know what to expect from him, we've seen his career for a decade...it won't ever amount to much more. Solid, if wholly unspectacular plays, but his teams have all refused to take that next step in development. Coincidence? Maybe so, but can Toro afford to play nice and keep him even if he's not directly responsible?

Colantuono is a good call...what he did with Atalanta deserves a closer look from any club president of small to medium stature, he clearly has the capacity to do very well. As usual with Palermo, his stint there is not something we must take into consideration: they're the old, pre-calciopoli Inter, multiplied by 10. At least.
Tactically, I think Zeman would be great for you. The players you have would surely perform at a level way above your current placing in the table...two of Recoba, Rosina and Di Michele running rampage with one of Ventola or Bjelanovic? Please, you're outscore every team from 10th down on a weekly basis! Only problem is it's suicide to hire Zeman mid-season, he says himself he needs at least a summer to implement his scheme and formula into players who are unfamiliar with it. Bah, a shame.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2007, 20:23
Rising Star

If Torino wants to win its time to put Rosina as a secundo. While he certainly is the most defensively responsible and hardest working player out of Di Michele and Recoba and is therefore the best person to put on the wing, it is a waste having him track back all the time. He needs to be playing near the line so that he only has to go through two or three people instead of five. You will get more goals and more effective play from him then.

As for Novellino keep him for this season. You need to avoid relegation and while he certainly isn't the coach that Torino need to hit the next level he can at least do that.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2007, 20:27
Star Player

Teams: Azzurri, Nerrazzurri
Why hasn't Recoba featured that much? Is it injuries (no surprise there) or has he simply been deemed surplus?

Inter Milan - 2010 Treble Winners

Selected Memories - Check out my Photography
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2007, 22:03 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
Injuries and lack of fitness. He hasn't been spectacular when he's played (barring two or three league performances and the Coppa win against Roma, but my guess is he'd be playing more if he's more fit.

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:52
Forum Manager
Rising Star

Teams: Torino, Inter
Same old Recoba....as advertised.....I hope we aren't paying much for him.

Great review!

I haven't been able to see many matches so far this season. Hoping to upgrade my satellite package soon to get FSC, Gol, and maybe even RAI back.

Last edited by holofernes; January 2nd, 2008 at 05:01.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2008, 20:19
International

Teams: ACF Fiorentina
€1.5M according to this

Delenda est AS Roma -- Nico the Elder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in