Serie A Matchday 13: Empoli-Torino - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2007, 07:31 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
Serie A Matchday 13: Empoli-Torino

So here we are after the international break with what I feel will be a crucial month or so for us. We will have a load of tough matches, so it is important to get started on the right foot with one of the more winnable ones.

For our lineup, Rosina will be fit in time for the match, but we will still be missing Di Michele for another two weeks due to the injury sustained against Catania. Gazzetta reports:

Ventola
Recoba-Rosina
Barone-Corini-Grella
Lanna-Dellafiore-Natali-Comotto
Sereni

This is probably the most solid team we've fielded for a while.

The problem I see with Ventola up front is for him to be fully effective, he needs Rosina and Recoba behind him creating chances. With Di Michele back it takes a little pressure off those two. As much as I like Ventola, he is not the same potent attacker that Di Michele is. Good to see our first choice midfield back, if Corini is on form and pulling the strings like he does so well then that could very well turn the tide of the game in our favor. Lanna still worries me at the back and I think playing Motta there would be worth a shot since Rubin is out for the season. Other than that, the defense needs to up their game after the debacle that led to Catania's goal last weekend. They are a good unit but an inconsistent one, and Sereni can't save us all the time.

I generally like the choices, and on the bench we have Fontana, Di Loreto, Motta, Zanetti, Stellone, Bjelanovic, and Lazetic, which gives Novellino a wide array of weapons to deploy off the bench. Motta brings us versatility, Zanetti is the type of player who plays quietly but effectively but can pull the unexpected, while Stellone and Bjelanovic give us two different options up front and Lazetic can inject some pace into our side. I'd be a bit disappointed if Malonga didn't get called for the game, I think he has been showing some real promise. Also a bit disappointed in not seeing Bottone especially after his inclusion in the U21 squad (that could precisely be the reason he's not here for the weekend game though).

Torino Man to Watch

Alvaro Recoba

I didn't want to say Rosina, because its too obviouos, so I looked at his partner behind Ventola. When healthy, Recoba can pose a lethal threat to opposition defenses as he possesses a great all-around attacking game. If he can link up well with Rosina and Ventola, the threesome will be sure to pose a huge threat to Empoli's defense.

As for the opposition, they are expected to line up like this:

Pozzi-Saudati
Vannucchi-Moro-Marianini-Abate
Tosto-Pratali-Vanigli-Raggi
Bassi

Why they don't start Giovinco bewilders me, but all the better for us. Another player who can pull the strings for them, Giacomazzi, is out injured, which is a good break for us (but bad for my fantasy football team). Still, we have to be aware as Pozzi, Saudati, Vannucchi, and Abate can all cause our defense problems if we are not up to scratch. Beyond those players, I think we have the quality to dispatch of Empoli.

Empoli Man to Watch:

Luca Saudati

Saudati is a late bloomer after struggling with injury and often failing to impress at higher levels, but last season he scored 14 league goals and was voted into Italian PFA Team of the Year. He has scored two goals already this term and will be a potent threat to our defense.

Last time out this tie was a 0-0 draw, but I think we have the quality to better that. Empoli have been very irregular this term, pulling out results against bigger teams like Milan, Roma, and Palermo but have faltered against teams like Atalanta, Catania, and Siena. Their record at home this season is 1-2-2 but we have yet to win away with an 0-4-2 away record, so statiscally speaking a draw seems like a likely result. Let's just hope we can make that a win and keep them on the foot of the table.

FORZA TORO!!!!!

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY

Last edited by naervod; November 19th, 2007 at 07:39.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2007, 14:46
Star Player

Teams: Torino,China NT
Also a bit disappointed in not seeing Bottone especially after his inclusion in the U21 squad (that could precisely be the reason he's not here for the weekend game though).
————————————————————————
motta is also called to Faroe
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2007, 14:47
Star Player

it' said that novellino tests to play dellafiore to replace lanna,while puts di loreto and natali in the center

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:58
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Serie A Week 13 - 25/11/07 (14.00 UK)
Empoli - Torino

Stadio Castellani

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torino travel to Tuscany as they face bottom of the table Empoli at the Stadio Castellani in Week 13. This tie represents a crucial point for both teams’ campaign. The Granata have to prove that they are ready for a UEFA Cup push, while the Azzurri need to show they are capable of avoiding relegation.

In Week 12, Empoli were hammered 3-0 in Genoa by Sampdoria. Torino were held 1-1 by Catania at the Stadio Olimpico and failed to impress their own fans. Both sides have won just one of their last five games and are desperate for points. Last term’s encounter ended with a goalless draw and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see a repeat on Sunday.

Empoli boss Gigi Cagni is quite concerned ahead of this clash. The Azzurri will be missing several regulars such as Daniele Balli, Felice Piccolo, Daniele Adani and Claudio Marchisio. Guillermo Giacomazzi and Antonio Buscè, who were out injured in the past few weeks, have recovered but are not likely to start. Richard Vanigli is suspended.

Davide Bassi should take the gloves, while Francesco Pratali – who has resolved his contract issue with the outfit – could play in defence. Starlet Sebastian Giovinco is in competition for a shirt with Ignazio Abate, but should be included in the starting XI. Nicola Pozzi and Luca Saudati will form the attacking duo.

Granata tactician Walter Novellino is trying to fire up his men for this tie as he’s looking for at least a point here. The visitors will be missing their fans though, who have been banned from travelling to away games.

David Di Michele is, once again, unavailable. The former Palermo striker served a three-month ban and has now picked up an injury which could rule him out for several weeks. Ivan Franceschini and Matteo Rubin are also sidelined.

The good news for the Granata is that Simone Barone is now available. The midfielder should return to action after two months and is looking forward to this game. Uruguayan ace Alvaro Recoba will make his return after missing their last tie. Alessandro Rosina and Nicola Ventola will complete the attacking package.

Keep an eye on: Ighli Vannucchi (Empoli) – Captain Vannucchi’s contribution to the team is invaluable. But the Tuscans are in relegation zone and their talented No 10 needs to lead them out of it.

Last season: Empoli 0-0 Torino

Form guide: Empoli (W L L D L) Torino (D W L D D)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Empoli (probable): Bassi; Raggi, Pratali, Marzoratti, Tosto; Vannucchi, Moro, Marianini, Giovinco; Saudati, Pozzi

Torino (probable): Sereni; Comotto, Natali, Dellafiore, Lanna; Barone, Corini, Grella; Rosina, Recoba; Ventola

Ref: To follow...

channel4

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2007, 16:01
Star Player

a draw,AGAIN

ok,ok.....we still get one point,although we lost 2 points

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in