post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2007, 05:10 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Serie A Matchday 12: Torino - Catania

Serie A Week 12 - 11/11/07 (14.00 UK)
Torino - Catania

Stadio Olimpico

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Far from being the meaningless mid-table scrap that the meeting of Torino and Catania appears at first glance, this match should in fact be an exciting prospect. While Torino will probably feel that they are under-achieving by sitting just three points above the relegation trapdoor, Catania may feel they are over-achieving as they share Milan’s rung on the Serie A ladder.

With just one defeat in their last seven League outings Silvio Baldini’s side are proving that there was perhaps more to their success last season than just Pasquale Marino. Their stumbling block may be their inability to score though. All term they have managed to net more than once on just two occasions, with Uruguayan Jorge Martinez the only man to have more than a single strike to his name.

Meanwhile, Matteo Sereni has kept three clean sheets in the last five games for Toro and will be keen to extend that good form against a shot-shy strike force. Although Walter Novellino’s side themselves have not been rattling in the goals and Alessandro Rosina and Nicola Ventola will be glad to see the return of striker David Di Michele to the line-up to spread out the burden.

Torino will do without Sasa Bjelanovic and Tomas Vailatti, both suspended, while Alvaro Recoba, Simone Barone and Vince Grella are all still familiarising themselves with the medical room. Catania miss Lorenzo Silvestri through injury.

Alessandro Rosina bagged a 77th minute winner for the home side when these two clubs faced off last season back in March. Catania have never recorded a win over Turin’s sleeping giants and are also yet to win away in the League this year. On the other hand Torino’s only loss at home came with David Trezeguet’s injury time winner in the derby against Juventus.

In other notable news, Catania’s Ghanaian midfielder Mark Edusei will be returning to familiar territory, having spent the 2005-06 campaign at the Olimpico while Giacomo Tedesco will be hoping for a better result than last year when he was among the vanquished Reggina players who lost 2-1 against the Granata.

Keep an eye on: David Di Michele (Torino) – After making his first start of the campaign against Milan at the weekend – following his lengthy ban for his part in the summer betting scandal – the ex-Palermo man will be raring to go and make up for lost time.

Last season: Torino 1-0 Catania

Form guide: Torino (W D W L D) Catania (W D W D L)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torino (probable): Sereni; Lanna, Dellafiore, Natali, Comotto; P Zanetti, Corini, Motta; Rosina; Ventola, Di Michele

Catania (probable): Polito; Vargas, Sottil, Stovini, Sardo; Tedesco, Colucci, Baiocco; Mascara, Spinesi, Martinez

Ref: To follow...

channel4

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2007, 13:16
Star Player

Teams: Torino,China NT
can fontana cover sereni?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2007, 17:39
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
I don't think so, TBH. I'd prefer Gomis in goal. Fontana is a very loyal player who has stuck with Toro through thick and thin, and I love him for it, and it makes it hard to say that I just don't think he's a great keeper, certainly not at Sereni's level. Still, Catania have been far from prolific in front of goal this season, I think we can still win with Fontana in goal.

To the rest of the game though I think the attacking trident of Ventola, Di Michele, and Rosina showed some good stuff against Milan and I think we should effectively unleash them against Catania. Our defense is back to normal more or less, so I think we can effectively stop Catania there. The question is midfield as we still have Barone and Grella out, and we will line up Zanetti-Corini-Motta. I personally prefer Bottone to Motta, as I don't think Motta is as natural lining up in the center of midfield and Bottone is great at destroying attacks, which would allow Corini more room to create and get up more, where he is dangerous, while Zanetti could go box-to-box.

This is a game we should win, although Catania are doing pretty well this season, so we should be careful. From what I have seen they are confident and undaunted by the away trip. Even though they have been fairly unremarkable this season, their attacking threesome of Mascara, Spinesi, and Martinez are nothing to overlook.

Just a note on Recoba though, we should see him back in two weeks.

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2007, 12:53
Star Player

I venti convocati per Torino-Catania
sabato 10 novembre 2007
Il tecnico Novellino ha convocato 20 calciatori per Torino vs Catania, in programma domani allo Stadio Olimpico di Torino (ore 15.00):

Portieri: Lys Gomis (n. 89, classe '89), Fontana, Sereni.

Difensori: Comotto, Dellafiore, Di Loreto, Lanna, Motta, Natali.

Centrocampisti: Bottone, Corini, Grella, Lazetic, Vincenzo Nitride (classe '90, n. 34), Rosina, Zanetti.

Attaccanti: Di Michele, Malonga, Oguro, Ventola.

Last edited by chinaren; November 10th, 2007 at 15:13.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2007, 13:00
Star Player

--------ventola-di michele
------------rosina
------zanetti-corini-bottone
--lanna-dellafiore-natali-comotto
-------------sereni(fontana)

fontana(Gomis),di loreto,motta,grella,nitride,malonga,lazetic

Last edited by chinaren; November 10th, 2007 at 15:14.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2007, 16:24
World Class Player

Grella called, nice. I'll bet we could see an appearance of the bench.

NWO BABY
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2007, 15:08
Star Player

half time
1:0
11 vs 10
rosina ,inj
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2007, 15:24
World Class Player

Malona with the goal and we have a man advantage, but Rosina is injured, not good.

RIP Gabriele Sandri, even if we win, it is a sad weekend for calcio.

NWO BABY
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2007, 15:36
World Class Player

Fecking hell, Catania equalizes. If we can't beat ten-man Catania then I don't know what to do.

NWO BABY
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2007, 16:05
Star Player

seem to end with 1:1
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2007, 16:12
Star Player

end,1:1
shame,shame,
1:0,11 vs 10 for more than 70 minutes, got a 1:1 with catania in the end.
shame
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2007, 16:17
World Class Player

Rosina should be OK, he went off with just a muscular problem, but worse is that Di Michele went off after falling awkwardly and could have a serious knee injury.

NWO BABY
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2007, 16:50
Forum Manager
Rising Star

Teams: Torino, Inter
Bad day for Toro.

Worse day for Calcio.

What will it take?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2007, 18:48
Premier Player

Teams: Rabotnicki and Torino
This is ridiculous.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2007, 12:40
Star Player

Teams: Italia, Torino and AC Milan
We are the draw kings

There is no excuse for not winning this match

RIP Gabriele Sandri
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2007, 15:45
Star Player

Il calciatore comincerà questa settimana il lavoro di fisioterapia, e dalla prossima svolgerà lavoro differenziato. I tempi di recupero per un ritorno in campo, a completa disposizione del tecnico Novellino, sono di tre o quattro settimane.

from torinofc.it

seem that we will miss dimi again.for 3-4 weeks
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2007, 17:53
World Class Player

That's a shame about Di Michele, but the good thing is, its two more weeks until our next game, owing until the international break and everyone else except Rubin and Franceschini should be recovered from injury, so we will see the strongest line-up we've been able to field in a while, and barring any other injuries when Di Michele comes back we should be ready to rock and roll.

NWO BABY
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2007, 06:52
World Class Player

Just saw the goals from the game (I was putting it off for a bit...) and gotta say, glad Malonga scored, even if Ventola did all the real work, with his bicycle kick ricocheting off the cross bar, but a decent finish at a slightly tricky angle from Malonga. The Catania goal was uncharacteristically bad goalkeeping from Sereni and characteristically bad defending from the rest of the team.

NWO BABY
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2007, 08:16
Star Player

Teams: FC Internazionale Milano
Yeah the defending was bad

Formerly known as:Suazo19

Also known as: MilfordCubicle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in