Starving Artists? Artwork for sale thread. - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2010, 23:10 Thread Starter
The Ties That Bind
Legend

Teams: Barça
Starving Artists? Artwork for sale thread.

So I don't know is this is breaking any rules on XT. From what I can tell it's not. Anyway, I thought I'd start a thread about art you can buy and where you can buy it. As is made abundantly clear to me everytime I browse this little forum I am not very talented when it comes to creating art. However I do enjoy collecting and displaying art in my home. While it's become easier over the years as I've been looking over time, I've always found it hard to find art out there without having to go to a local gallery or shop. So I thought this thread could be a way to share art that folks like or even own and where you can get it.

"Sóm més que un club!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2010, 23:20 Thread Starter
The Ties That Bind
Legend

So I'll start it off.

I first came across Yellow Owl Workshop via a design blog or something like that. Actually it was from a shop in LA's website where they had some limited edition works by the folks at Yellow Owl. While I like some of things they do, I'm not always thrilled with the medium they use and I don't love prints or re-prints on paper because then you have to get them framed which can be costly and what's worse it can be difficult finding a frame I really like. Anyway, I've been familiar with Yellow Owl for a couple of year's now.

In what has been an increasing trend, I noticed that Urban Outfitters had a piece that is done by Yellow Owl. They had the "Ghost Camera" on their site. Here it is from Yellow Owl's site:

Ghost Camera

So note that it's $60. Well that's what it is pretty much everywhere you find it. In fact it's usually more. So I was thrilled to see it today for much less at Urban Outfitters:

Ghost Camera at UO

So I got it for only $14.99! Not only do I like my art pieces, but I also like my deals.

As for UO, they're a great place for cheap art. They recently had two different Ashley G pieces on wood that were great deals. In fact they're normally about $35 for the re-prints on paper and I think UO eventually had the prints on wood for about $15 on sale.

"Sóm més que un club!"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2010, 02:10
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Eh eh Blau

Thanks for sharing your collection with us. I remember reading about of them in the Barca forum -- good taste you have.

Good thread as well. And no, I don't think we are breaking any xt rules here -- as long as items for sale are not fakes and posts are not created with any intention to spam.

More, please.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogàver

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2010, 20:37 Thread Starter
The Ties That Bind
Legend

Well Urban Outfitters continue to offer some deals depending on your taste. Personally I prefer art on wood as opposed to canvas, but still in the case of UO the canvases they use aren't the best.

Anyway, two artists who really aren't my thing but who are on sale at UO right now:

Here's one by Lisa Congdon

and here's her other site for comparison of the above work with her other things from both a style and price perspective:

Lisa Congdon on Etsy

I don't own any of her stuff, but I do know that she's made a name for herself.

The other artist on UO's site that is on sale right now is:
Betsy Watson

and another one:

here

again, not my cup of tea and I don't own her stuff but I have heard of her. Here's her shop for comparison:

Betsy Watson on Etsy

I think with both of the above artists that you could wait for another markdown before buying.

Another artist that is having a sale is Dolan Geiman. I own a lot of his work and I love his stuff. Great artist and a great guy. Anyway, he has "Blue Plate Specials" on Fridays. Here is todays:

Name your own price.

I got an original piece about two weeks ago at 20% off and saved $70. The piece is one of those that sell well for him too. Also, sounds like he'll be sold by UO or somebody else soon.

"Sóm més que un club!"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2010, 21:25 Thread Starter
The Ties That Bind
Legend

Ashley G, whose work has been in galleries and even been picked up by Urban Outfitters, is having a sale on her poreclain pieces in her Etsy shop. Half off on the current supply. Here is a link to her shop.

Dolan Geiman is at the New York City Fossil store. He did the current window displays for that location as part of their Long Live Vintage marketing. He's doing silkscreen on paper and if you make a certain purchase amount you get one of his panel paintings for free.

"Sóm més que un club!"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2010, 18:27 Thread Starter
The Ties That Bind
Legend

I'm a bit late in posting this, but Dolan Geiman has his holiday sale going on now through January 7th. They're doing it a bit different this year, but it's still a good overall deal with FREE international shipping options. Anyway, there are two parts to the deal:

1 They're posting a deal on Twitter every day that lasts for 24 hours:

Dolan Geiman Twitter

2 All purchases, even when you use the Twitter discounts, are eligible for the following:

ORDERS $200 or more • free worldwide shipping* + free Wooden Postcard
ORDERS $500 or more • free wordlwide shipping* + free Wooden Postcard + bonus $50 gift certificate
ALL ORDERS • entered to win a $500 gift certificate
ORDER BY DEC 17 • guaranteed receipt by Dec 24 (US orders)

*FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING • applies to any order $200 or more that may be shipped via USPS First Class or Priority Mail International.

Dolan Geiman Etsy Shop

I just got two pieces I loved the second I saw them back in the spring and saved 25%, a sale piece that is now back up to full price (it was $200 off), the $50 gift certificate for free, the free postcard (which was great) and the free shipping. I'm a pretty loyal customer too so I got a nice Holiday card, but it wasn't a card it was on an original piece of art. Anyway, whether for yourself or gifts it's a great overall experience buying from him.

Also, if you live in Germany, he'll be over there in December as part of the commission he's got with Fossil:

Fossil Store Grabenstätt
Thursday, December 2 | 1pm-5pm
Oberwinkl 1 83355
Grabenstätt Germany

Fossil Store Wiesbaden
Saturday, December 4 | 1pm-5pm
Kirchgasse 33 65183
Wiesbaden Germany

He does do live art in store, you can get gifts with purchase of Fossil things and they do a raffle too.

"Sóm més que un club!"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2011, 17:57 Thread Starter
The Ties That Bind
Legend

Enormous Tiny Art 10 is going on right now. It's basically smaller pieces that are all 8x10 inches or smaller. Some good artists like Danna Ray and Matt Adrian. Jennifer Judd-McGee, Dan Robson and Ben Schlitter have some interesting stuff as well. Here's the site.

Renegade Handmade in Chicago this month. That's a big one at Wicker Park and they'll have a lot of National artists, many from the Etsy "scene".

"Sóm més que un club!"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2012, 21:30 Thread Starter
The Ties That Bind
Legend

Enourmous Tiny Art 11 is going on now. Started last week. Not as big an offering this time round and I'm not seeing as much as last time, but looks like some new artists added.

"Sóm més que un club!"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2012, 19:30 Thread Starter
The Ties That Bind
Legend

Enormous Tiny Art 12 opened last Friday. Some new artists as well as some of the previous artists. Mark Hoffman's pieces were interesting and sold quickly. I like the Berkley's embroidery.

"Sóm més que un club!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in