Art Talk 2 : Will Art Sink without Money? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2009, 14:16 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Art Talk 2 : Will Art Sink without Money?

Topic of the day for those of us who work in the field during an economic downturn. In the New York City area, many small galleries have closed. A number of museums have announced downsizing of staff, shortened hours and actually closed off many interesting sections to save electricity, manpower, blah blah. The Rose Art Museum in Long Island, New York closed its doors recently and is beginning the process of deaccessioning. When I was working in France several years ago, my colleagues would tell me "no European museums would ever think of selling off their paintings and sculptures, huh!" Well, that was then.

But what do you think?

1. Will public support of the arts -- paintings/drawings, manga/anime, photography, theatrical arts, music, movies -- fade? Why and why not?

2. If you are involved in the arts, describe how you do -- or do not -- feel the "crunch"?

3. As an observer -- a museum/gallery visitor, a movie viewer, a concert goer, etc. -- how does the lack of money affect your participation?

4. What should one do to continue the support of art?

Eagerly awaiting your replies

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:53
International

Teams: Barcelona, Slovan
1.) Art seems to be suspended in a metaphysical quagmire at the moment. For some, it is the breast from which they draw energy, but for most others it is merely a pretty distraction, a daisy in a landfill. It appears that the people who were willing to pay 10-20 dollars to look at the daisy in the middle of a landfill every weekend are instead spending that money on either more alcohol, lottery tickets, or withholding it altogether. Sad, yes, but the situation doesn't seem very promising.

Of course, this is generalizing things somewhat.

2.) N/A

3.) I focus mainly on books (and films from the library), so can't comment on this either.

4.) Pay those 20 dollars for the daisy.

In all seriousness, besides organizing gatherings (for art galleries, movies, etc.), and holding discussions in coffee-shops, I'm not sure what else one can do.

Quote:
When one longs for a drink, it seems as though one could drink a whole ocean--that is faith; but when one begins to drink, one can only drink altogether two glasses--that is science.

- Anton Chekhov
Quote:
"We drive into the future using only our rearview mirror."

- Marshall McLuhan
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2009, 00:44
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
1. No. The rich always will have to have something to put their money in to legitimize it, or to hide it, or to launder it, or to feel magnanamous with it, or to feel better about having so damn much of it. And last time I checked the rich were part of the public. If you meant public as in the government, well, they do things for the same reason as the rich do. Neither the gov't nor the Gettys spend much time thinking about what they are funding, as long as it looks classy or seems avant. That will never ever go away. Might be tight for a few months, but you know what they say, "art, money and power have a mutually beneficial relationship." As it was in the past so shall it be into eternity.

2. Nobody's paying cash money for any of my art, so I plead the fif'. Also, I work in retail.

3. I have never paid to go to an opening or a show in my life (I know people and how to leech of of others), so I guess I'm part of the problem. I steal a lot of music and films off the internet. The bookstores still have their hooks in me, though. Plus, I pay to go to good museums and bought a Cruikshank print at an auction once. I guess I'm part of the solution, too.

4. Spend. There is a naked performance artist nailed to a Corvette somewhere who needs you.

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in