Art in the Neighborhoods - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old April 19th, 2008, 00:09 Thread Starter
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
Art in the Neighborhoods

Although I live in San Francisco and thus spend my days engaging in pederasty whilst supping upon brie and a nice little 86 Cakebread Chardonnay, I think some of our parlour pink experiments are ideas any area could adopt to enhance their lives. For 40 years we've (I know most of there people and their children) had this Neighborhood Arts Program and absolutely no one has been injured. In fact, our city is all the better for having the NAP around.

http://www.sfartscommission.org/CAE/NAP

I'm sure other cities have such programs. Tell me all about them.

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old April 21st, 2008, 14:05
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Unfortunately whenever my city has a *neighborhood arts program* the stench spreads for miles. One of such is called the Whitey Biennial and you can view it in two flavours --

The Puff Piece

The Off Camera one (video by James Kaim)

Sad as it is, all the while the optimists in us should be reminded that this is not all there is left ... in art.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old April 21st, 2008, 21:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Well, NYC has patented "That Urine Smell (tm)" for at least 30 years, so what do you expect from the Whitney? At least they don't force you to wear that "Frick-in" skirt when you go. Or do they? Vito Acconci (sp?) would probably do, but only at the BAM.*
Ennyvoos, it's not all puppies, kitties und zee flowers. It being 2008, there's a whole lotta yonk growing between the cracks as well. I do like seeing the naked chi'drens I recall from many moons ago (Rio Yanez, Danny Hoyle, little Renzo Pisoni) doing well with the good start they got as young-uns. Although there is absolutely no excuse for Performance Art in any manifestation. The last boy I was with says you understand it better if you grew up in a Berkeley commune or the People's Temple, but I was not so blessed.

*This week on "Inside Baseball"...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2008, 22:12
XT Consultants
International

You need an update. The Frick is no longer the frickin elitist here. The Brooklyn Museum actually installed plexiglas shields over every painting in their rotunda galleries because museum board charity dinners are held there every week. Hm. I can just hear the sound of au jus splattered against the Goya's.

Anyway I found myself in the midst of the 2008 Biennial when I went there to discuss a future research project. It was not until I left the premises that I realized the true meaning of the 2008 WB. As I turned the corner, I saw a crew of Colombian day laborers sorting garbage in front of the museum's back door, accompanied by a supervisor, a young upper east side woman with a chic medium bob and a Whitney dog tag.

Almost immediately the words of a Whitney Biennial ad came to mind: "... Using humble or austere materials or employing calculated messiness or modes of deconstruction, the 81 artists in the 2008 Whitney Biennial present works distinguished by their poetic sensibility as they discover pockets of beauty in sometimes unexpected places."

Hey! They forgot the core crew of Colombian day laborers who are, as I write, still picking through garbage at the Whitey, uh, Whitney Museum of American Art.

Busted - video by James Kalm

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2008, 18:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Pwned!!1!!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2008, 02:48
XT Consultants
International

Another day in the neighbourhood .... another blade of grass being trotted on.

outside

Carol Vogel [of the New York Times] writes:

Quote:
A rectangular patch of sand in Central Park may be the last place you’d expect to find a gleaming “Star Trek’’-style spacecraft. But an art pavilion that resembles just that will make a temporary landing there this fall. Called Mobile Art, the structure itself was designed by the renowned London architect Zaha Hadid and will occupy the Rumsey Playfield, midpark at 70th Street, from Oct. 20 to Nov. 9.

Chanel commissioned the structure to house works by about 15 contemporary artists. Each asked to create a work that was at least in part inspired by Chanel’s classic quilted-style handbag. Artists recruited for the project include Sophie Calle of France, Sylvie Fleury of Switzerland, Subodh Gupta of India and the Russian collective Blue Noses.

The challenge, Ms. Hadid said, was to create a pavilion that was visually compelling and could be easily transported. The result is a 7,500-square-foot doughnut-shape structure with a central courtyard. Its lightweight panels can be packed in 51 shippable containers. Skylights admit natural light, and computer-generated lighting casts a rainbow of colors around the base of the exterior that glows day and night.

Many of the artists explored the notion of the handbag as a cultural symbol, often with a dash of irreverence. Ms. Fleury created a giant Pop Art-style quilted handbag lined with pink fur; inside is a makeup compact in which you can view a video of women shooting handbags with guns.

Maureen Chiquet, Chanel’s global chief executive, declined to give specifics on financial arrangements. But officials familiar with the project, requesting anonymity in deference to Chanel, said that the fashion house was donating a sum “in the low seven figures” to the Central Park Conservancy. Chanel will also pay the city a “use fee” of $400,000.

City officials, who are hoping that the art pavilion will be a draw for tourists, described the money that Chanel is donating as a windfall for the park. Asked whether he anticipated criticism for allowing Chanel to advertise one of its products in the park, Adrian Benepe, the city’s parks commissioner countered, “Everything has a sponsor.”

After “Mobile Art’’ makes its last stop in Paris in 2010, Chanel will have the option to buy all the art. As for Ms. Hadid’s pavilion, Chanel owns it but is not yet sure what it will do with it. Its transitory nature, everyone involved in the project agreed, will be part of the allure.

inside

see more?

As for me, no thanks. I'd rather not think about Zaha Hadid's talent being misinterpreted, again. And I'd rather leave my head free of sponsors and -- while we still can -- listen to the grass gorw in my beloved park.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in