A collage of Weimar - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old June 5th, 2007, 11:57 Thread Starter
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Real Madrid & La Furia Roja
A collage of Weimar

City-Palace with style breakage of romanism & classizism (Ill talk later why) Source: www.burgen-und-schloesser.net

Its my hometown and Id like to tell ya here about the different facettes of my city, which was mainly shaped by german classizism, counts as the birthplace of Bauhaus, but thats still not everything. Weimar was always considered to be an open-minded place and ahead of the respective time. Maybe that was the reason why it was the source of so much creative talent that settled here. Not only in art also in architecture, literature, science, theology, philosophy and music.

Ill mix history & recent stories and pictures in this thread, like its Weimar's character where Bauhaus & classizism coexist next to each other. I will tell you about the people that had to do with Weimar (you will be surprised!) as well as about the town itself.

Weimar from East
copperplate by F. W. Schneider, around 1780

If anyone wants to join here, youre welcome to discuss and share your stories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago Bernabeu
The Real Madrid shirt is white it can stain of mud, sweat, and even of blood but never of shame.
Hala Madrid ... y nada mas.

Last edited by LaBlanca; June 5th, 2007 at 13:59.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old June 6th, 2007, 15:02
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Many thanks for opening this thread Heike

I look forward to reading everything about this town and its influence; not to mention the old resident name Nietzsche who once said,

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing."

Awaiting more to come

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old June 6th, 2007, 23:18 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

"antiquity" in Weimar

to start it off, some detail that a usual Weimar tourist wouldnt notice primarily. Actually, i only payed attention after it got restored. It was overgrown before and I didnt even notice. :embarass:

Ilfonso fountain

Manufactured by the foundry of Lauchhammer. Displayed from 1796 near the HOLZHALLE of the Red Castle (Rotes Schlo&#223. In 1824, the architect Clemens Wenzel Coudray [1775-1845] had it moved and set on a fountain in front of the Red Castle (Burgplatz), where it still stands today after having been restored in 1994/95.

If any fountain in Weimar deserves to be dubbed ‘classical’, it is Ilfonso Fountain. The sculpture is a copy of the marble San Ildefonso Group dating back to around the first century AD now on display in Madrid (Museo del Prado). It shows two idealised nude male youths, both with laurel wreaths, leaning on each other. It is 161cm high. Goethe referred to the group as ‘Castor and Pollux’ and had this copy made for his house on Frauenplan. The fountain was only moved to its current position in 1824.

Statue copy in Goethe's living house

Acquired in 1812 by Goethe himself, and is now on the landing of the first floor. Goethe wrote about this group : "Diese beyden Epheben waren mir immer höchst angenehm" (these both epheboi have always been very comfortable to me. Goethe, 10.11.1812, letter to Heinrich Meyer)

There are several other Ildefonso statue copies in Berlin, Potsdam, London, Versaille, Sceaux and Dresden.

Sources from wikipedia & weimarer-brunnen.de

Quote:
The Real Madrid shirt is white it can stain of mud, sweat, and even of blood but never of shame.

Last edited by LaBlanca; June 7th, 2007 at 00:56.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old June 6th, 2007, 23:52 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonita
Many thanks for opening this thread Heike

I look forward to reading everything about this town and its influence; not to mention the old resident name Nietzsche who once said,

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing."

Awaiting more to come
Thanks a lot for the offer & idea. I actually plan not to go step by step through the history of Weimar as I dont wanna bore ya, haha. Nah I hope it will be the colorful mix that I have in my mind.

And I hope youll enjoy and learn a lot of my beloved Weimar.

Welcome to my view of Weimar!

Quote:

Last edited by LaBlanca; June 7th, 2007 at 18:13.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2007, 17:44 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

i took this picture in January. The scenery is set in the Goethe-park (or also called Ilm-Park), about 5 minutes down the hill from my parent's house.

Quote:
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2007, 20:37
Xtratime Legend

WOW great pics Heike!

You going to invite me to Weimar soon?
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2007, 20:40
Legend

Wonderfull Heike

Im stil waiting for my air ticket to visit you babe

Certified thread killer - Best on the web.

No one ever says "It's only a game!" when their team is winning .

Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind. -Kipling

Last edited by Alter Ego; June 8th, 2007 at 20:46.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2007, 20:58 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madridista4
WOW great pics Heike!

You going to invite me to Weimar soon?
Thanx!

Hehe. I already did.

Quote:
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2007, 21:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego
Wonderfull Heike

Im stil waiting for my air ticket to visit you babe
haha you can come all over Thanx for the praise.

Keep up reading and commenting I like when Im not the only one talking on this thread.

Quote:
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2007, 21:05
Legend

Famous residents of Weimar
Johann Sebastian Bach
Hector Berlioz
Lucas Cranach the Elder
Marlene Dietrich
Lyonel Feininger
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Walter Gropius
Nina Hagen
Johann Gottfried Herder
Johann Nepomuk Hummel
Johannes Itten
Wassily Kandinsky
Paul Klee
Franz Liszt
Laszlo Moholy-Nagy
Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich Schiller
Oskar Schlemmer
Arthur Schopenhauer
Frédéric Soret
Rudolf Steiner
Richard Strauss
Richard Wagner
Christoph Martin Wieland
Carl Zeiss
Heike

post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2007, 21:25 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Famous residents of Weimar
Johann Sebastian Bach
Hector Berlioz
Lucas Cranach the Elder
Marlene Dietrich
Lyonel Feininger
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Walter Gropius
Nina Hagen
Johann Gottfried Herder
Johann Nepomuk Hummel
Johannes Itten
Wassily Kandinsky
Paul Klee
Franz Liszt
Laszlo Moholy-Nagy
Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich Schiller
Oskar Schlemmer
Arthur Schopenhauer
Frédéric Soret
Rudolf Steiner
Richard Strauss
Richard Wagner
Christoph Martin Wieland
Carl Zeiss
Heike
Haha. yeah

as I said youll be surprised how many famous people have been here!

and that list isn't even complete! p

Quote:

Last edited by LaBlanca; June 8th, 2007 at 21:31.
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old June 9th, 2007, 11:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

oldest human settlements of Weimar

wrote this yesterday night and when i wanted to post it XT went down Thank god I copied it.

In the 20ies of the last century the remainings of a stone aged settlement where found in a travertine quarry near Ehringsdorf, nowadays a suburb of Weimar.

Here some pics from the quarry itself, a stone explaining the travertine of Ehringsdorf and a view from Belvedere towards the quarry.

it actually says the following: During an interglacial of the ice age the travertine repository of Ehringsdorf was built by calcareous spring waters at the foot of this valley side. Lots of big mammals that used this spring for drinking, such as Forest Elephants, Bisons and Forest Rhinos, were also hunt by the ice age man. During the winning of the travertine rests of he former flora & fauna was found as well as the resting places of the ice age hunters.
On 29th of September 1925 a skull of a ice age woman was found 18m under the floor.

To come back to art, I found a painting of Ehringsdorf in the net:

Max Nehrling: Blick auf Ehringsdorf mit Brauerei, um 1930 (View to the brewery of Ehringsdorf around 1930)

Landscape of Ehringsdorf, in the background the red chimney of the Ehringsdorf brewery. 23 x 20 cm. Oil on painting carton.

The painter and graphic artist Max Nehrling studied at the art school of Weimar under Theodor Hagen and Walter Klemm. He studied at the Bauhaus during the summer and wintersemester of 1919 and had an own Atelier together with Otto Lindig and Hinnerk Scheper in the arts and crafts school building just opposite of the Bauhaus. Later he worked as a painter in Weimar.

Quote:

Last edited by LaBlanca; June 9th, 2007 at 11:45.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2007, 20:44 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

From Anna Amalia to Fire - a historic treasure in danger (I)

one of the most beautiful places in Weimar was the Rococco Room of the Anna Amalia library.

ANNA AMALIA (1739-1807), duchess of Saxe-Weimar, daughter of Charles I., duke of Brunswick-Wolfenbittel, was born at Wolfenbittel on the 24th of October 1739, and married Ernest, duke of Saxe-Weimar, 1756. Her husband died in 1758, leaving her regent for their infant son, Charles Augustus (Carl August).

During the protracted minority she administered the affairs of the duchy with the greatest prudence, strengthening its resources and improving its position in spite of the troubles of the Seven Years' War.

She was a patroness of art and literature, and attracted to Weimar many of the most eminent men in Germany. Wieland was appointed tutor to her son; and the names of Herder, Goethe and Schiller shed an undying lustre on her court. In 1775 she retired into private life, her son having attained his majority. In 1788 she set out on a lengthened tour through Italy, accompanied by Goethe. She died on the 10th of April 1807.

A memorial of the duchess is included in Goethe's works under the title Zum Andenken der Furstin Anna-Amalia.

Georg Melchior Kraus. Duchess Anna Amalia, 1774. oil on canvas.
Foundation Weimarer Classizism and Art collections. Duchess Anna Amalia Library.

She also established the Duchess Anna Amalia Library, now home to some 850,000 volumes.

drawing by Rolf Escher

Quote:
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2007, 20:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Duchess Anna Amalia Library

some pics of mine from outside:

the quality isnt the best as I scanned them in. When Ill be there again Im going to take pics with my digicam for a better quality.

Quote:
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2007, 20:53
Legend

Amazing
Its like living in the 18th Century

post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2007, 21:14 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

From Anna Amalia to Fire - a historic treasure in danger (II)

The Duchess Anna Amalia Library in Weimar, houses a major collection of German literature and historical documents. The library contains:

* 1,000,000 books
* 2,000 medieval and early modern manuscripts
* 600 ancestral registers
* 10,000 maps
* 4,000 musical scripts

The research library has approximately 850,000 volumes with collection emphasis on the German literature. Among its special collections is an important Shakespeare collection of approximately 10,000 volumes, as well as a 16th century Bible connected to Martin Luther.

On Sept, 2nd 2004 this beautiful historical treasure burnt down, a catastrophy for Weimar. Here some posts that I posted the day after in the La Familia Thread of the RM Forum:

Quote:
horrible day for my hometown Weimar. Yesterday a big part of the historic Anna Amalia Libary with the world famous rococco room burnt down. The building is from the early 16th century and contained the worldwide biggest collection of original historic books, from famous writers of the classic period, mainly the poets Goethe and Schiller. It was part of UNESCOs world cultural heritage.

yesterday night big parts of the rococco room were destroyed but the most tragic is that 25000-30000 books burnt and 40000-50000 got damaged. The libary was about to get renovated and in about a month all books would have been brought out and saved. It hurts a lot as its a part of idendity of my beloved hometown.:depress:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBlanca

I was just there (its only 500m from here) and it looks terrible :frownani::depress:
Quote:
the damage of the building is in the double digit millions and the books are of unestimable value...and a lot of them are lost forever :broken:
Quote:
Its not only a loss of idendity of Weimar, which is the heart of german classic. The world has lost an amazing treasure of historic books, and not only that. Just hear Anna Amalias music collection has been destroyed completely, under it original compositions of Schubert, Liszt and Hummel. More isnt known yet.

i heard they could save 5000 books today but 25000 are lost forever. :frownani: the rest of the all together 1million book collection is scattered over other buildings in Weimar as the building itself was much too small, but it was the heart of the collection.

they are still over and trying to control the smoldering fires. The upper 2 floors are completely destroyed, including the upper floor of the rococco hall that now is in danger to fall down... guys it even looks worse than on the pics, which have been taken last night.

they also planned to change out the old fire warn system what waynt working anymore with the reconstruction that was planned and the books would have been out in about a month for this reconstruction....:depress:

Quote:

Last edited by LaBlanca; June 14th, 2007 at 22:25.
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2007, 21:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

From Anna Amalia to Fire - a historic treasure in danger (III)

The Duchess Anna Amalia Library 100 days after the Fire

The Duchess Anna Amalia Library was the victim of a ravaging fire on the evening of September 2, 2004. It took three days to fully extinguish the flames. The historic original building of the Duchess Anna Amalia Library as well as a large part of the historical books stored there were destroyed or severely damaged. More than 900 helpers, fire fighters, technician teams, Red Cross, employees of the Library and of the Foundation of Weimar Classics and Art Collections, volunteers from nearby cultural institutions and from the city government and many Weimar citizens worked day and night since the fire to evacuate the valuable art works and tens of thousands of books.

A turn of luck is in sight for the library building: One of the most beautiful library halls in Germany will be able to be reconstructed by 2007, the 200th anniversary of the death of Duchess Anna Amalia, to whom we owe this “artwork room”. The second gallery of the rococo hall and the roof above it no longer exist, but the building itself, declared part of the UNESCO World Heritage, will be able to be stabilized and restored, thanks to intelligent fire fighting. Fortunately, a team of architects and specialized planners had already been formed in preparation for the renovation and could be consulted during the night of the fire. The additional expenses due to the fire in the building already in need of renovation remain on a realistic scale. The financers from the national and state government gave their permission to start the planning phase on 29 September 2004, after private donors had also pledged their support. The first complicated task is to dry out the building, into which water soaked in amounting to two times the normal amount of annual precipitation. The rococo hall will reappear in old, not new splendour.

The 35 oil paintings with ducal portraits from the 16th to the 18th century in the 2nd Gallery are irreplaceable. Solely the ceiling painting by Johann Heinrich Meyer “Genius of Fame” after Annibale Carracci will be replaced by a copy. The material damage, even the damage done to the other art works by water from fire hoses, will fortunately be covered by insurance.
The heaviest damage was done to the books. 50,000 volumes have been counted as completely lost, and to a certain extent 62,000 volumes were badly damaged by water and fire. This includes two fifths of the books published before 1850, i.e. more than one tenth of the entire collection of the Duchess Anna Amalia Library. Before the fire, the book collection counted one million volumes.

Book Restoration
Already during the night of the fire, the first water-soaked books were individually wrapped and brought to the Centre for Book Maintenance in Leipzig to be freeze-dried. During the next few days, the to a certain extent severely charred and dampened codices salvaged from the burned building were sent to the freezing facilities. This was the saddest and most difficult part of the work of cleaning up, keeping librarians, restorers and volunteers busy for days, during which they excellently mastered the task. It was a race against time, because mildew can begin as soon as 24 hours after wetness sets in. The 28,000 objects rescued from the charred remains will only be partly restorable. As soon as an exact analysis is possible, it will become apparent where the amount of text lost is too large, only fragments of books were left, or the attempt to replace the loss would be more sensible than restoration. That means that at some later time, the number of 50,000 books totally lost will have to be increased.

The rescue, cleaning and drying of the damaged books went very well, thanks to the excellent cooperation of all involved. They will be returned to Weimar bit by bit during the course of one year and stored in a rented temporary magazine. There, while the books lie, not stand, on the shelves because of the deformed covers, any remaining moisture can evaporate, and they can be individually examined. All damaged objects must first be found in the catalogues of the library, because at present no one can say for sure which books were destroyed by the fire and which were damaged and will be returned. A new data bank will be compiled to document and classify the damages. This expert task will last well into 2006. Only then can the restoration on a large scale begin, apart from several pieces demanding immediate attention. Part of the restoration can be done in the library’s own workshop for book restoration and conservation or in workshops of partner libraries, and part will be commissioned to third parties. The restoration of the 62,000 books is a challenge that will occupy the library for more than ten years.

The immediate care of the books up to the drying stage was possible with the help of the state of Thuringia and above all due to the fast and generous immediate help of the national government. The German Research Association (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft) also made generous help available. However, the subsequent individual restoration will only be possible with private support. For that purpose, a sum estimated at almost 20 million Euros will be needed. Therefore, donations – however high - from third parties are very welcome. To date, 2.5 million Euros have been donated by 15,000 individuals, businesses and foundations, and have been collected by benefit events and school projects, the sale of publications, by bets, art auctions and penalty fees.

Compensation for Losses
Total losses occurred among works dating from the 16th –20th centuries, in particular from the 17th and 18th centuries. These include Duchess Anna Amalia’s (1739-1807) culturally and historically significant music collection, dating from the 18th and 19th century including 2,100 music books and over 700 music manuscripts. Large parts of the universal scholarly library of the first Library Director, Konrad Samuel Schurzfleisch (1641-1708) must also be written off. Furthermore, many texts written by members of the “Fruchtbringende Gesellschaft” (The Fruitful Society), the first German language society founded in 1617 in Weimar, and large parts of the collection of Balthasar Friedrich von Logau (1645-1702) from Breslau (Silesia), including beautiful editions of baroque literature, were burned. One of the most complete series of Jean Paul prints was located in the middle of where the fire raged.

The older a book, the more unique is its outer appearance (e.g. cover, colouring) and its individual history, which is often recognizable (e.g. exlibris or marginalia of a previous owner). A score from Anna Amalia’s music collection or a volume from Conrad Samuel Schurzfleisch’s collection on the early modern period is more valuable, and more important for the history of the library than the same volume from any other origin. Therefore, restoration will always be preferred, as long as the difference in cost in comparison to replacement is not too high. The private donations are to be used primarily for book restoration.

35,000 volumes lost to the flames are most likely replaceable. In addition, there were 27,000 books badly damaged by the fire. On the average, each book will cost € 800. The replacement process will take many years. It has been an enormous help that book lovers and libraries throughout Europe, have offered to contribute a title to the Duchess Anna Amalia Library that they have found in the data bank of losses (http://www.anna-amalia-bibliothek.de). The investment fund “Fruchtbringende Gesellschaft” (Fruitful Society), which was furnished with a generous initial purchase by the Deutsche Bank, is to be built up by further donations and the interest used for purchases of new volumes.

Nevertheless, it is impossible to reconstruct the collection on a one to one basis. This is out of the question as far as unique pieces of the music collection and the essays from the 17th century with handwritten comments are concerned. But it is also doubtful whether replacements can be found for many printed works, which are very rare or particularly of regional importance. Who could furnish replacement copies of the four-page discourse “Von der Tröstung der sterbendenn Menschen” (About the Comforting of Dying People) by Wolff Stöckel from 1525, or the “Nothwendige und nützliche Ordnung, wie es mit dem Jagen und allem Weidewerg gehalten werden solle” (Necessary and useful rules for hunting and the care of grazing animals) written by the Counts of Schwarzburg and Hohnstein from 1623? On the long term, it would be more feasible to purchase complete, specialised collections of similar value, which correspond to the old collection emphases, rather than requiring the replacement of each and every lost book. This would be especially desirable for the area of baroque literature, which is so important for the profile of the library.

View Forwards
The fire was also responsible for the fact that about 40 working places for librarians are temporarily not usable. New work places in diverse buildings of the Foundation of Weimar Classics and Art Collections (Stiftung Weimarer Klassik und Kunstsammlungen) had to be sought. The logistics of book transports from house to house and the infrastructure between colleagues had to be re-designed. This kind of inconvenience is easier to shoulder, knowing the long planned addition to the library, which is connected to the original building underground, will be finished in a few weeks. The underground magazine, which belongs to that, was opened in advance so it could be utilized during the night of the fire for the storage of the undamaged books evacuated out of the library. At present, over 700,000 books from the various temporary magazines have been moved into the underground magazine, between the old and the new libraries.

Picture by Harald Wetzel-Orf

The preparations for the institution of the new research centre are being continued. 100,000 volumes, sorted according to subject areas, will be available there, directly accessible from the shelves, as well as 180 modern work places for use by researchers. The planned opening in February 2005 will be on time. From this time on, the service for local readers as well as mail requests will be resumed. The working conditions in the new research centre will represent the standard of a research library of the 21st century.

The Duchess Anna Amalia Library was seriously damaged by the largest library fire in Germany since World War II. However, we must not forget that the largest part of the valuable collection was left untouched. That includes the medieval autographs, the family trees, incunabula (early printed books dating from before 1500), the globes and 10,000 maps from the 16th to the 19th centuries, the largest Faust collection in the world, the Shakespeare library, Nietzsche’s private library, the libraries of Liszt, the von Arnim family or Georg Haar, and the main core collection of the classical period, etc. In this case, the fact that the collection had been stored in various temporary magazines was a stroke of luck. Even the original building was not lost. The fire did not touch its additions or the library tower at all. Hundreds of art works were evacuated out of the rococo hall in time.

Everything that was rescued and brought into safety and will enable us to hold fast to the concept of the library as a research library for literature and cultural history with an emphasis on German literature from the Enlightenment to the Late Romantic period. Also in the future, the Duchess Anna Amalia Library will be able to fulfil its function of being a living monument and an active library. The thread of cultural transmission will be newly tied to future generations.

More information about the collections of the Duchess Anna Amalia Library under:
http://www.weimar-klassik.de/english.html

Informations about further rescue efforts and reconstruction work. You can find the latest information here:

http://www.anna-amalia-bibliothek.de/en/presse.html
http://www.swkk.de

The original building dates back to the Renaissance, when it was named the “Green Palace”, built in 1562/65 by Nicol Gromann as the residence of Duke Johann Wilhelm. During the years 1761-66, Anna Amalia had the small palace remodelled into a library by August Friedrich Straßburger.
The exterior as well as the interior of the building were adjusted to suit the taste of the 18th century. The rococo hall with its two galleries was built into the first story and became the splendid attraction of the building. In 1803/05, upon Goethe’s suggestion, a building to the south was erected under the supervision of Johann Heinrich Gentz, connecting the library to the old tower fortification dating from 1435. From 1821 to 1825 Clemens Wenzeslaus Coudray and Carl Friedrich Steiner remodeled this tower into a book magazine and added a neo-gothic entrance. To complete the tower, Coudray built in a spiral staircase with a neo-gothic banister dating from 1761, taken from the Weida palace.

Finally, Coudray designed an addition of two axes to the north side of the original building incorporating the architectural style of the 18th century. With this last measure, the original building of the Duchess Anna Amalia Library arrived at its current appearance.

The fire at the Duchess Anna Amalia Library destroyed not only a large part of the historical building and many art works, but moreover, some culturally and historically unique parts of the book collection.

The historical rococo hall had been closed to the public since July 31, 2004, since it was to be restored, along with the rest of the original building, by the end of 2007. The emptying of the rococo hall had not yet begun at the time of the fire. Five weeks later, all books and art works would have been moved elsewhere – a tragic circumstance.

Allianz Cultural Foundation supports the recostruction of the Rococo Hall. Furthermore, it underlines its commitment for the book and library culture in two other projects: By announcing an essay competition entitled »My Favourite Library« as well as with »Anna-Amalia-Book Actions«

Here are the spatial impressions of the rococo hall, which extends over three floors. It is an all-encompassing artwork (Gesamtkunstwerk) from the late 18th century, in which art, architecture and books undergo an impressive symbiosis.

Lost books

Duchess Anna Amalia’s music collection (1739–1807) was almost completely burned, including manuscripts and rare printed works such as Orlando di Lasso’s vocal book from 1588 (cat. no. 4:12). Also, other valuable printed works dating from the 16th and 17th centuries were destroyed, in particular a large part of the library of Konrad Samuel Schurzfleisch (1641-1708), the former Wittenberg University professor and Weimar library director, and that of his brother Heinrich Leonhard Schurzfleisch (1664–1722), including, for example a memorial publication on the occasion of the death of Christine Walther, a professor’s widow, in 1711 (cat. no. S1:80).

Most of the works published by the “Fruchtbringende Gesellschaft” (Fruitful Society), the first society for the German language founded in Weimar in 1617, were lost, including “Der Neu-Sprossende Teutsche Palmbaum” (The Newly Sprouting German Palm Tree), a society journal of the association from 1668 (cat. no. D, 6:19). Part of the inheritance of Wilhelm Fröhner (1834–1925), an important researcher and collector of archeological specimens, including several sets of volumes from various disciplines of antique studies (e.g. cat. no. 8°XXXIX : 62), were devoured by the flames.

The inheritance of the nationalistic author Adolf Bartels (1862–1945), encompassing several thousand books, was also destroyed. However, the bible collection, which had also been stored in the rococo hall and many other valuable volumes from the lower floors of the hall, could be rescued. Several precious parts of the collections named happened to be loaned out for other exhibits, for example Mozart’s manuscript of the “Concerto in B” (cat. no. Mus V : 125), and were saved by that lucky circumstance.

Paintings Lost
Among the irretrievable losses suffered by the Duchess Anna Amalia Library were 35 paintings destroyed completely by the fire, which were hung on the walls of the staircase leading up to the 4th story and on the walls of the 2nd gallery located on that level. These paintings as well as other artworks had been in various locations throughout the course of history, depending on the taste of the period or changes in public interest. The loss of them tears a hole within the context of the remaining paintings and busts of poets, statesmen, scholars and composers.

Several of these paintings belonged to the main inventory of the rococo hall during the original furnishing of the Library in 1766. The portraits of prominent ancestors of the ducal family dating from the 17th and 18th centuries had been moved out of the residence castle into the new, representative showroom to form a line of ancestry, together with representatives of important European nobility. Six double portraits including pictures of two Electors from Saxony as well as King Jacob and Queen Anna of England were among the paintings lost. The loss of a half-figure portrait of Duke Friedrich Wilhelm of Saxony-Weimar-Altenburg (1562–1602) dating from 1602 was particularly painful as it was one of the few signed portraits of the Weimar painter Christian Leutloff.

During the 19th century, the furnishing of the library hall was augmented with portraits of contemporary personalities. One example is the now lost self-portrait of the Weimar Court Painter, Ferdinand Jagemann (1780–1820); another is the portrait of Duke Carl August’s mistress, the celebrated actress Henriette Caroline von Heygendorff in one of her roles. Several of the lost paintings from the 19th century were those created in remembrance of important great minds of the past. The painting of the reformer “Martin Luther on his death bed”, by Adam Weise (1776–1835) belongs to these losses.

“The Genius of Fame” by Johann Heinrich Meyer (1760–1832) was the only allegory and a sort of symbolic description of the art program of the library, located in an exposed position in the middle of the oval ceiling. All that was left of the canvas painting was the charred frame.

Source: http://www.anna-amalia-library.com/

Quote:

Last edited by LaBlanca; June 14th, 2007 at 22:24.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2007, 21:55 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

now the good news: while researching for these posts I read that on Oct, 24th 2007 the historic Anna Amalia library will be reopened fully reconstructed. The famous Rococco Room will be open to public again in December. If you once go to Weimar, this is a must!

oh and the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchess...Amalia_Library

Quote:

Last edited by LaBlanca; June 15th, 2007 at 09:24.
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2007, 22:52 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Amazing
Its like living in the 18th Century
actually the former Hamburg football player Jimmy Hartwig who came here to work as an actor at the theater once said in the press that in Weimar he always had the feeling that Goethe will come round the corner and its so true!!!

Quote:
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2007, 18:47 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Ilm Park, Photography: Ralph Kallenbach

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in