Who here hates "modern" art? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2006, 22:50 Thread Starter
International

Teams: ITALIA, REAL MADRID
Who here hates "modern" art?

I just can't comprehend what people see as art nowadays. It's nice to put feelings into your work but having to stop and think out of your ass to figure out what the artist meant is clear evidence that this so called artist lacks talent AND feeling.

Let me state that people are entitled to their opinions and different tastes, but the vast majority of "modern" art lovers don't only stop to worship their garbage but ridicule and put down realistic pantings and amazing artists like DaVinci and Picasso.

Picasso, what a name to invoke when criticizing modern art eh? Many argue that his monstrosities are the best examples of modern art and I agree, at least you can tell what the man was trying to paint, unlike say; [aint all over a toilet, that sir, is not "modern" and definately is NOT "art".

My soon to be wife is an aspiring artist going to college and has to go through the snobbery, irrationality and puke-inducing bitchiness that her teacher oozes, simply because she refuses to accept "modern" art.

I can drink up five cans of differently-colored paint and throw up on a canvas and sell it for five million dollars to some rich imbecile who has no clue about art.

Even Picasso openly admitted that he thought it was ridiculous that people liked his style and that they were morons for buying into it, Picasso was actualy an amazing artist before he started painting crap.

Modern art truly represents the general decay of today'ssociety, garbage appreciated as art.

EDIT: I meant "modern art", can someone edit the title please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2006, 12:55
Star Player

Teams: Liverpool FC
You can't make such sweeping statements about an enormous genre of art based upon the experiences of your girlfriend and a few throw-away lines from an artist. Of course there are modern paintings/works of art that have no meaning etc. but just as many "old" style works of art that lack the same qualities.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2006, 13:04
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBob
You can't make such sweeping statements about an enormous genre of art based upon the experiences of your girlfriend and a few throw-away lines from an artist. Of course there are modern paintings/works of art that have no meaning etc. but just as many "old" style works of art that lack the same qualities.
In my uneducated opinion, there is one factor presiding over this: freedom. Classical artists didn't have the freedom to do whatever they wanted, they were bound by certain norms. Modern artists are no doubt educated about this, but they have the freedom to do just about anything and still be considered "artists". Contrast Beethoven and Tchaikovsky (who wrote some of the greatest works in music) with Stravinsky and Prokofiev, whose music is not often neither harmonious nor meaningful. And those guys are 20th century composers, not quite "modern art", but you can see a trend forming.

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2006, 14:46
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
Modern art is wonderfull, do not confuse the Modern art with today's mass communication exposition. We must be glad art still working while having hipcups.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2006, 10:21
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian81
My soon to be wife is an aspiring artist going to college and has to go through the snobbery, irrationality and puke-inducing bitchiness that her teacher oozes, simply because she refuses to accept "modern" art.
I can relate to that. Years ago, when I was in high school, I had an art teacher who took the whole class on a field trip to an art museum that had a modern art exhibition. It was horrible. No, it was beyond horrible actually. In one of the rooms there was a broken-off tree branch on the floor. Art. In another room there was a fallen-over garbage can on the floor. Art. Yet another room was completely empty. That too was art. No one in my class enjoyed it, but our teacher was in ecstacy.

When we got back, we had to write a report on what we saw. I couldn't contain my anger and wrote a report that completely burned the exhibition to the ground. My art teacher gave me a 0 for it. But my Dutch teacher gave me a 9, because of my creative use of language.

Modern art can be just as great as other forms of art. But too often it's used abused as an excuse for piss poor attempts that require no skill, imagination or creativity, yet are praised anyway by those who seemingly have a compulsive desire to. People such as your wife's teacher, and my former teacher, seem to belong to some freaky cult, where they lose all sense of perspective and free will and become mindless slaves to everything which carries the label 'modern art', no matter how bad it is.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2006, 23:42
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Liverpool
I went to an exhibition with my friends and modern art is terrible from my point of view, all this crappy cut outs and stuff looking like kiddy collages have no artistic effect

Vicente05® will be back
Kroos05
® is the future

No Kroos no party baby!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by arfy05; July 13th, 2006 at 00:57.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2006, 10:42
Star Player

Teams: Liverpool FC
It was probably an example of "Shit Art" as apposed to "Modern Art"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2006, 10:57
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo
I can relate to that. Years ago, when I was in high school, I had an art teacher who took the whole class on a field trip to an art museum that had a modern art exhibition. It was horrible. No, it was beyond horrible actually. In one of the rooms there was a broken-off tree branch on the floor. Art. In another room there was a fallen-over garbage can on the floor. Art. Yet another room was completely empty. That too was art. No one in my class enjoyed it, but our teacher was in ecstacy.

When we got back, we had to write a report on what we saw. I couldn't contain my anger and wrote a report that completely burned the exhibition to the ground. My art teacher gave me a 0 for it. But my Dutch teacher gave me a 9, because of my creative use of language.

Modern art can be just as great as other forms of art. But too often it's used abused as an excuse for piss poor attempts that require no skill, imagination or creativity, yet are praised anyway by those who seemingly have a compulsive desire to. People such as your wife's teacher, and my former teacher, seem to belong to some freaky cult, where they lose all sense of perspective and free will and become mindless slaves to everything which carries the label 'modern art', no matter how bad it is.
When I was in Newcastle I visited Baltic Art Gallery and one of the exhibitions there was a darkened-down room with some TV's on the floor where they showed a looping tape of some 80's police video about a murder case. That was art too I quess ...but I actually liked it, it gave an odd feeling standing in that room.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2006, 18:13
BANNED!
Rookie

I don't really "get" modern art, persay, but I figured that as long as it can captivate my attention for a few minutes, than maybe, perhaps, the artist has done his/her part.

MoMA actually displays an iPod as a modern work of art. Go figure.

And DuChamp still mystifies me .. in an intriguing sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in