A Question on Art - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2005, 17:49 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Italia, Reggina
A Question on Art

Before I start this thread I'd just like to start this thread of right, without ruching into it, and having too much passion and not enough coherance, or rather just plain not enough coherance. So I hope this thread is more succesful than the last one I have started. I am immature and I have a lot to learn, so this thread I hope will help me do that. Just understand when you are posting in this thread that my thoughts are far from complete, and I am using this to discover and to flesh out my thoughts and ideas, and gain perspective from those around me.

Alright, I have attempted several times to flesh out my thoughts, but I thought that they were too ambiguous and more counter-productive than helpful, so I would just like you to respond to the statement: 'Some art work can be viewed as just plain bad'. I hope you have some thoughts that are better explained than mine, and encompass both sides of the argument.

But here is my response. That yes some art work can just be viewed as plain bad. I have seen plays that were just bad. The dialogue had holes in it, the artist (if they can be viewed as artists, thought often are profiteers in disguise of artists) had no vision, or complete thought. The painting could just be badly drawn, or the whole concept of the painting or the performance peice was faulty. That they just didn't understand the world.

Some other questions I have been mulling around in my head is how art should not be compared, by that I mean in terms of which one is better, but that they should be interpreted or judged (I don't think this professor that prompted this, said judged) or understood or evaluated in it's own terms. That you shouldn't quantitavely put pieces of art works on a scale from Leanardo Da Vinci, and Picasso down to say a child or in theatrical terms, Brecht/Beckett all the way down to... shit I can't think of a bad playwright I hate right now, so lets just say me . What you should do is just appreciate the artists work and evaluate it in it's own terms.

Forgive me for my ramblings, and I hope that some of you can lend me your understanding so I can move from this highschool level debate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2005, 22:37 Thread Starter
Star Player

Why would you delete your post Bonita? That's the only explanation I can think of for it mysteriously disappearing? Of course I could have been on crack and I could have just imagined it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2005, 02:05
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Zangari_Italia, I had terrible computer problems yesterday. I was editing the post and everything crashed I can't replicate the post now.

I do apologize for any inconveniences this might have caused.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2005, 04:35
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
My opinion is that there is of course bad works of artistic expression. And there is of course Art that are sublime, beyond some. The vallue of the Art for the market, the amount of technique, the fame are not however what define it. I would think the greatest Art workers are those that most easily we see again, in other works. I found there is no wonder that Homer was great. I know this because I see his greatness reflected in Ovid, Dante, Joyce...I have no doubt the Immortality is achived this way - with the greatness.
Measurements ? Very nice, sometimes fun. Sometimes we may have nothing to do and just want to talk. So, we may have fun talking about chronology or rankings. But the greatness of a masterpiece can not be put in scale and if you do, you are just producing another art work.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2005, 14:54
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
True, J. Adding to that is, of course, the quality of work ultimatley rests within its maker. The most important thing--for the person who creates--is the process, not the product.

You have to remember you are posting in a sports site where many events are regarded as "finite." But life isn't like that. Life is not a matter of victory or defeat; or who "rules" and who "sucks." There are NO answers--and that's the best part

There's another topic here you may like to peruse.

First and foremost, enjoy your work.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2005, 16:53
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
No doubt madam, Your patron saint is a great example of what you say. He and some others artists are able to live their life as the process they use to produce art, even when not producing, to the point their own life or persona seems to be their greatest creation. Inspired wonders, they are.

Now, watching yesterday Pele and Maradona controlling the ball, the bigger question everyone made was if they would ever let the ball drop. What is the point of saying this ? No point at all...just something I thought was nice to say when I saw the word finite.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2005, 00:17 Thread Starter
Star Player

Thanks, and no problemo Bonita, I was just midly curious.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2005, 18:23
Rising Star

Anything can be art, but can art be anything.

I'll explain if someone wants me to.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2005, 19:35 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampfoggia
Anything can be art, but can art be anything.

I'll explain if someone wants me to.
Go ahead. Nice seeing you again.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old November 4th, 2005, 20:14
Tim
Xtratime Legend

I think there is a fine line when it comes to judging art. It is rather easy to take art too lightly or too seriousy... and, paradoxically, to do sometimes both at the same time. In that respect, some art can be just plain bad; let's not pretend that everything is equal and let's not go so far as to try to find more meaning in the bad than exists. If that makes sense...

I'll give an example. Recently there was a news program on television where the producers had a couple of four-year-olds scribble some drawings. They then took those drawings and posted them in an art gallery adjacent to pieces done by professional artists. They also had some professional critics at the gallery review the drawings. The gag was that they failed to tell anybody, including the critics, that the drawings had been done by little children. Well, as it turned out, the work by the kids attracted more attention than that by the artists, while the critics nearly had an orgasm in trying to describe the "genius vision" of the scribbles.

That is not to say the children's drawings were bad. I'm sure people could appreciate them for what they were. But there is an obvious difference between those random lines and colors and something done with a true vision. Saying otherwise is not taking art serious enough. On the other hand, the critics tried to find meaning where there was none. it was the usual artsy fartsy snobbery and mental masturbation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in