Art in (and out of) Context 17 : The Life We Live - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2005, 16:07 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Art in (and out of) Context 17 : The Life We Live

Just curious, what's the standard of living in your town/city/country?

Salary and Benefits
-- average income
-- minimum wage
-- health insurance/benefits (public or private)
-- unemployment insurance/benefits

Food and Drink
-- how much is a cup of coffee or tea?
-- how much is a glass/bottle of beer?
-- what is the cost of a pint of vodka?
-- how much is a scoop of ice cream?
-- what is the average cost of lunch and what does it consist of?
-- and the avg. cost of a dinner out at a restaurant for 2 people?

Transportation
-- how much does gasoline cost?
-- what is the Taxi fare from airport to centre of town?
-- how much is fare for public buses/trains/underground (from home to work)?

Clothings
-- what is the cost of a pair of socks?
-- and the cost of a pair of shoes?
-- average price of clothes for work/school?
-- and price of fancy clothes?

Miscellaneous Items
-- how much is a bunch of flowers?
-- how much is Gazzetta dello Sport?
-- how much is an iPod?
-- what is the admission cost to a movie?
-- how much is the new Harry Potter book?
-- and, how much is a voume of Michel Foucault's The Order of Things?
-- what is the admission fee to the art museum?

Departure and Arrival
-- how do you say hello?
-- how do you say goodbye?

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogàver

Last edited by Punkette B; August 18th, 2005 at 01:20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2005, 19:07
gOD
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Just curious, what's the standard of living in your town/city/country?

Salary and Benefits
-- average income: a little more than 400 per capita (soo everybody not only those with a job)
-- minimum wage: about 1100 euro net
-- health insurance/benefits (public or private): cost? its about half of your gross wages (what it gives you depends. we have a very extensive and thus complex system)
-- unemployment insurance/benefits: depends: about 1000 euro if your single

Food and Drink
-- how much is a cup of coffee or tea? 1.60 euro
-- how much is a glass/bottle of beer? 1.60 euro for a glass
-- what is the cost of a pint of vodka? 2.5 for a shot of vodka
-- how much is a scoop of ice cream? 4.5 euros
-- what is the average cost of lunch and what does it consist of? For 30-40 euro you have a good meal, with starters main course and wine

Transportation
-- how much does gasoline cost? I have no idea. But a lot of taxes
-- what is the Taxi fare from airport to centre of town? A lot
-- how much is fare for public buses/trains/underground (from home to work)? 1 euro

Clothings: You are kidding me

Miscellaneous Items
-- how much is a bunch of flowers? 20-25 euro
-- how much is Gazzetta dello Sport? A quality paper costs 1.2 euro
-- how much is an iPod? No idea
-- how much is the new Harry Potter book? No idea, 20-25 euro for a book
-- and, how much is a voume of Michel Foucault's The Order of Things? Maybe a bit more 25-40 euro
-- what is the admission fee to the art museum? 4-5 euro

Departure and Arrival
-- how do you say hello? In Antwerp 1 kiss, in Limbrg where my family are from 3 kisses and in other parts of Belgium 2.
-- how do you say goodbye? Same as hello

We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace!

26.000 Faces :frownani:
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2005, 21:48 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by gOD

But remember *Lord Byron once said that "human life, in 19th Century England, was worth less than a pair of socks."

*Speaking of George Gordon, I have to revisit my earlier comments on the georgeous Dominique de Villepin. Although both tinkered with poetry, De Villepin will never be a born-again Lord Byron.

Lord Buy'em, maybe

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2005, 22:39
gOD
Legend

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2005, 23:02
gOD
Legend

BTW tell me have you ever read anything by De Villepin, because I must admit I have no idea what to expect (well I do expect something, but that probably is merely due to jealousy, narrow mindedness and bad will )

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2005, 04:25
Star Player

I'm a Chinese born in Hong Kong (sometimes we are called HongKonger). The Hong Kong situation is as below. 1 Euro is around 10 HKD and 1 Pound is 15 HKD.

Salary and Benefits
-- average income - $8500 HKD. I think this figure is low and horrible. This is also the average (/mid) figure for fresh university graduates (excluding doctors, lawyers and alike). You can imagine what if one doesn't hold a bachelor's degree. I once read a report that only around 15% of the total population have $10, 000 or above monthly salary. It seems HK is not as good as said.
-- minimum wage - No. But there have been discusions for setting a minimun wage. Businessmen disagree and workers agree. If any, the possible wage may be $4000, which is just $200 above housemaids as set by the law.
-- health insurance/benefits (public or private) - MPF (Mandatory Provident Fund). As its namesake suggests, it is mandatory by the government. Employees pay 5% of their salary and employers put another 5% of employees' salary and so on. I'm not so familiar with the system in fact.. :embarass: Please refer to MPF. This is not exactly a health insurance, but a fund for protection after retiremen (as I know). As for health insurance, the head of the hospital authority has expressed his preference for the possible introduction of health insurance. Another blow to the public..
-- unemployment insurance/benefits - Believe me, unemployed poeple under this crap system can collect more money than those working (as for no minumum wage). What is more disgusting is that many many Chinese from the mainland come here for this benefit. So it is suggested that only people having lived here for 7 years can apply. But then it is criticized as inhuman against those in real need.

Food and Drink (which is something I don't care too much )
-- how much is a cup of coffee or tea? - Coffee... as cheap as $6 to as luxurious as $30 in alike of Starbuck and Pacific Cafe. I enjoy more those in 'traditional Chinese cafe' however... (not those for dim sum!)
-- how much is a glass/bottle of beer? up from $5... not sure.
-- what is the cost of a pint of vodka? Not sure too.
-- how much is a scoop of ice cream? $5 to $60. Here I have a small discovery. I find that Westerners can have no pain in their throat after boxes of ice-cream. I believe it is impossible among Easterners in biological aspects.
-- what is the average cost of lunch and what does it consist of? $20 to $120 (or above). You can have a lunch set of $20 in fastfood shops or that of $120 in Japanese foodshops (since I once worked at something like that).

Transportation
-- how much does gasoline cost? Not sure. I just know that the monopolistic oil companies can respond at once whenever the oil price rises in the international market and got missing when it drops. :fero:
-- what is the Taxi fare from airport to centre of town? Not sure.. Never been once even to the airport. Perhaps $250.
-- how much is fare for public buses/trains/underground (from home to work)? $7 on average for buses, trains and MTR (underground) and $2 for trams (somehow famous, have a try ).

Clothings
-- what is the cost of a pair of socks? $10
-- and the cost of a pair of shoes? Free of charge as far as I know. I never spent a cent on shoes in life.......... My parents are both shoes makers.
-- average price of clothes for work/school? From $200
-- and price of fancy clothes? $200

Miscellaneous Items
-- how much is a bunch of flowers? No girlfriend yet.. No idea.
-- how much is Gazzetta dello Sport?
-- how much is an iPod? From $1400 (1 GB), I wanted to have one...
-- how much is the new Harry Potter book? $130 it seems. You know YOu don't read this.
-- and, how much is a voume of Michel Foucault's The Order of Things? Not well-known here as I know.
-- what is the admission fee to the art museum? From $20. The expanse is genenrally cheap. But it seems HKers are not fond of the appreciation of arts...

Departure and Arrival
-- how do you say hello? Ni Hao!!! (which is Putongua, but Cantonese is the spoken one here..)
-- how do you say goodbye? Bye Bye! So westernized!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2005, 17:16
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gOD
He only has one pair of trousers and two shirts, or so it would seem from empirical evidence observed by this scientist. :dielaugh:

Salary and benefits (I have to do only the SF Bay Area, because the USA id a big ass country, encompassing both NYC and Tutwiler Mississippi):
Average Income: @$30,000 per year
Minimum Wage: last I checked it was $7.50 per hour, but it may have gone up
Health Insurance/Benefits: I get Kaiser for free at work and two weeks of paid vacation, but I'd say a lot of people with jobs don't get company paid health insurance, or so I keep hearing. If you have no insurance it can be incredibly expensive.
Unemployment: I have never been unemployed, so I cannot say, but I think you get 12 weeks paid. You must of course seem to be looking for a job during that time and eventually it cuts off. I had two friends who worked in high tech that were unemployed for over two years.
Food and Drink:
Cup of coffee or tea: as much as $3.00, if you go to Starbucks.
Glass of beer: @ $3.00 for something decent, but you can get Pabst Blue Ribbon for like $1.25
Cost of a bottle of vodka: Royal Gate is $5.99 at Walgreens! A bottle of Stolichnaya or Ketel One can be around $20.00
Scoop of ice cream: $1.99 at Mitchell's, which is my local
Lunch: @ $8.00 Grilled cheese sandwich, french fries, soda, tip A business type luch can run a lot more
Transportation
Gas: $3.00 per gallon for unleaded regular last I checked
Taxi fare: No matter where I am in SF, it always costs me $20 to get home and so it would be from the Glen Park BART station, which would be the nearest from the SFO one. Price is fixed at $28.00, I think, from the SFO via taxi cab.
Public Transport: $1.25 on MUNI. The monthly pass is $45.00. BART is a little more, but you can take it to Bay Point and you can't put a price on that.
Clothing:
Pair of socks: HUE are $6.00.
Pair of shoes: $75.00 for the last I bought, but they were high boots
For work or school: I'm cheap, @ $100 for an outfit on sale at Macy's
Fancy: I bought a dress for $200.00 and it does look good, so money well spent! Couture dresses can cost up to $5000 dollars, but I'm not buying that until I'm at the Oscars...
Misc:
bunch of flowers: I can get them for free as my father is a professional gardener. A real nice bunch of gladiolas which are my favorite are @ $10.00 per bunch, I think. Roses are outrageous and they don't even smell good.
Gazetto dello Sport: $4.00 at I. Cavalli, $3.50 at the newstand on 24th street.
Ipod: $300.00
Harry Potter: $35.00
M. Foucault: $25.00 new trade pb, $10.00 used at Green Apple
Art museum: $12.00, more if they have special show at the MOMA/PLH
Departure/Arrival:
Hello: I just say Hi. Even us Eyetalians here aren't big on emotional greetings.
Goodbye: I just say goodbye, mostly, sometimes see you, but depending how I feel about someone it can get pretty gloppy.

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2005, 17:22
gOD
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIO
He only has one pair of trousers and two shirts, or so it would seem from empirical evidence observed by this scientist. :dielaugh:
Pffft!
As it appears, the methodology of the scientist involved, was pretty lousy

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2005, 18:21
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
Those questions are too hard for a brazilian to answer. The salary ? The majority does not earn enough. There is a law that says the minimal wage is R$ 300, 00, which is about 125 dollars. However a few months a congressman let clear they have a salary too small, that their R$ 7000,00 was not enough, neither free transportation, food or house when they travel working for the government. This way I can only conclude there is no benefits whatsoever related to our salaries. Of course, since we receive so little, we never leave. That must be the benefit: forever brazilian. Out school tell us that this land was blessed; rich beyond measurements. No earthquakes , volcanoes or hurricanes to endanger us. No snow, so we can live and sleep in the streets without feeling any cold. That must be the better way to ensure our right for the richness, just to sit on the land and say that is ours. I know my city must be lucky, the public research tell us that the average income of the population is about R$919,80. That must be good, it is just a little above the monthly amount you have to pay to study medicine…
About coffee, I do not drink it. But you just have to consider we produce enough coffee to let all Americans happy, it is almost free. Actually, if you are nice enough, It is free. To drink a beer is not free however, with R 3,00 you drink anywhere. When you consider that we are the brazilian city with more bares/citizens you can understand why. The Vodka ? Depends what you accept to call Vodka. But if I consider your good health, I must introduce yourself to the legitimate brazilian drink: Cachaça; a good bottle of one must be around R$50, 00, suit yourself. As for ice cream, with R$ 1,00 you may still find some home-made ice creams. Dangerous perhaps, and perhaps a bit punk for you – yes, I am teasing here – so, with R$ 5,00 you may have a nice ice cream with all stuff you can put on. Now to eating…McDonalds’s here cost about R 5,00 but that is just plain silly when I can buy a Pizza by R 7,00 or we have a long tradition of bigger sandwiches for R 3,00. What you get there ? You can get anything. But if you visit the malls you may have to think to pay a bit more, they charge about R$ 20,00 just for the air there…
The gasoline ? Well, here you need cars and the gasoline is about R 1,70 the litter. Public transport ? The only public transport I trust are my feet, the others are not worth our curiosity, they are far uncomfortable, erratic and crowded. For some reason the company who take cares of the bus, won more money if they have more passengers inside a single bus and the politics consider this very fine. The taxi ? I just can tell you the airport is in another town, if you come here, tell me, I will personally pick there.
The clothes ? I use a R$ 30,00 shoes to play football and to go to parties. Sure. Not a nice figure. But I am that cheap. I could show you a store where you can buy all your clothes with less than R$ 20,00 and just aside, another store where this won’t be enough for a pair of socks. But since we have a huge market of informal commerce and even a bit weekly open market, people won’t find themselves naked, yet.
A bunch of flowers ? Do we need to pay for them ? Not just pick ? Oh, do not worry. I do not consider visiting the cemetery to pick flowers there…A nice bouquet is cheap, with R$ 10, 00 you get one. I mean, someone get one to give to you. Gazzetta dello Sport ? I do not even remember if I have ever seen one before me. It seems to me that with R$ 500, 00 you can get a iPOD. The new Harry Potter book was not released yet, but I saw a new translation of Ulysses, very pretty, for R$71, 00. About your friend Foucault, his books are around R$ 50,00. About admission fee ? Art museum ? I wonder which world is this one. Let’s just say that it is almost for free, they need someone inside you know…
I must say now Adeus, tchau but since I did not started with a Oi, olá…it will just sound strange, and after all this long talking and poor answering.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2005, 21:39 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

You guys are cracking me up now just a few short answers --

Ivan, putting away a box of ice cream doesn't hurt my throat, it soothes it in fact; so I must be a "western babe" in HK standard? Aye, my grandmother used to say, "you eat and eat and still you are skin and bones, what kind of parasites do you host?"

Geert, no idea what De Villepin writes but I'm certain they are narcissistic. He did give such an eloquent anti-war speech at the UN before the security council set to vote two years ago--agree? No need to get jealous, this fella is eye candy on looks as long as we aren't talkin' ideology; he's too center-right for a pinko-commie such as myself

Heather, believe it or not, you left-coasters' average income is a lot higher than us Noo Yawkers. And our minimum hourly wage is only $6. (Of course the day laborors don't count. They make as little as $2. an hour or 30 cents per piece at the underground factories.)

Still, at the Frick, "the women [in $3000 Prada stilletoes] come and go, talking of Michelangelo." (Used T.S. Eliot at the Strand is bundled with two Harold Robbins in the 3 for a dollar bin.)

J, you reminded me of a Moroocan gent I met when I was working in Marseille who said,

"40 euros for a wilted bunch of roses? You come to my country where roses are free ..."

Sail away!

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2005, 01:49
Forum Manager
Star Player

The Frick. Heh. Them and the highschool I went to are the only places that require you to wear a skirt or you can't get in.
I just realized that I could be totally off on the wages things. The last time I worked for minimum wage it was like $3.35 an hour (in 1986)--so its probably like $6.50. I just assume that what I make in a year is average. I know teachers make less than me and systems analysts make more, so voila!

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old August 16th, 2005, 13:08
Rising Star

Teams: REAL MADRID
The life costs in Madrid:

-Average income per worker: 1,000€
-Minimum wage: 450€
-Sanitary system: Private is expensive; public is completely free, paid with a low percentage of the workers' salary. Some drugs are public supported.
-unemployment insurance: a compensation based on how much time did you spent working, and a mensual income of around 1,000€

-A cup of coffee/tea: For 1,20 you've got a good coffee.
-A can of beer costs about 50 cents.
-Alcohol: 1.50€ per "chupito"; 4-6€ for a tube glass.
-The average prize of ice-creams is 1.50€
-For 100€ a family can have lunch in a good restaurant: entries, first, second, dessert and coffee.

-Gasoline: everyday it's more expensive
-Taxi fare: 5€ per kilometer plus 4€ and 2€ for every bag. You've got a cheaper bus, too.
-Public transport: 1€

A pair of socks: Minimum 1 Euro.
A pair of shoes: 20-60 Euros, depends on the quality.
Clothes for work/school: 100€
Fancy clothes: In Serrano street, a purse can cost more than 600 Euros.

A bunch of flowers? 12€
Gazzetta dello sport; I don't know. The av. prize of a newspaper is 1€
An iPod costs about 60 €
A book costs about 20-30€
The order of the things? I dont know.
prize of the art museum: if Public (El Prado) it's 6€. If private (Thyssen-Bornemysza) it costs 12€

Hello is "Hola" or "Qué hay"
Good bye is "Adios" or "Hasta luego".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Future Spanish NT coach, Rafa Benítez
Perfecto. Tras este desastre seguro que entraremos en la historia. Podéis jugar para encajar seis o siete goles más y ser el hazmerreír del mundo o podéis intentar marcar en los primeros quince minutos y soñar con ganar el título.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2005, 08:51
XT Consultants
Star Player

To start with, I don't even know where I can be considered to live in I know more answers to the city I don't live in anymore, but well since that's been like what, over a decade ago, the answers to some qns are therefore quite outdated.

At the same time, while whatever I have of my knowledge to the current city I live in should be quite updated (as in, uh, 2005), I definitely know less than the other city coz I don't really 'live' in this city, I am very much a mere tenant in a blissful ignorance of so many things

I have all the characteristics of a human being,
but not a single clear identifiable emotion...
I simply am NOT there
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2005, 11:26
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Salary and Benefits
-- average income €20,000.00 a year (before taxes)
-- minimum wage € 7.48 an hour (before taxes)
-- health insurance/benefits (public or private) 70% of your current wage, for up to 3 months, after that it may be viewed as a disability and you'll need to get all kinds of check-up's from the organization that pays disability benefits. If it's longer than 6 months, it becomes even more complicated. The insurance fee is based on a (again) very complicated structure of public and private insurance systems and can vary from €50.00 a month to €350.00 a month (for a family). It’s set for a massive overhaul next year, the monthly fee is said to be around €150.00, with some elaborate refund system through which you can get a refund if you don’t have any medical costs throughout the year.
-- unemployment insurance/benefits 70% of your last earned wage, for two years. The money for this is obtained through income tax, which is 30, 40 and 50 percent, depending on the height of your income.

Food and Drink (the prices below are averages, prices depend on brands and differ from establishment to establishment and from city to city)
-- how much is a cup of coffee or tea? € 2.00
-- how much is a glass/bottle of beer? € 2.50
-- what is the cost of a pint of vodka? € 4.00
-- how much is a scoop of ice cream? € 1.00 (including cone), additional scoops are € 0.50
-- what is the average cost of lunch and what does it consist of? €3.00 (lunch is no big deal here, it’s normally just a sandwich)
-- and the avg. cost of a dinner out at a restaurant for 2 people? €65.00

Transportation
-- how much does gasoline cost? €1.38 per liter
-- what is the Taxi fare from airport to centre of town? €10.00
-- how much is fare for public buses/trains/underground (from home to work)? €2.50

Clothings (again prices are average and depend on brands and stores)
-- what is the cost of a pair of socks? On sale you can get them as cheap as €0.20, on average they’re about €4.00
-- and the cost of a pair of shoes? €50.00
-- average price of clothes for work/school? Jeans/slacks are about €40.00, a shirt €25.00. Brands such as Levi’s and Wrangler can be very expensive. A pair of 501’s costs €80.00. Wranglers are €65.00, I actually buy mine online in the US, where they cost just $29.95.
-- and price of fancy clothes? A fancy suit will cost around €500.00, fancy shirt around €100.00, fancy socks around €15.00, fancy shoes around €200.00 But what one considers fancy depends a lot of personal preference. The €500.00 for the suit would buy you a Hugo Boss, which I think is fancy enough, but if you’re a dandy you might go for a Ermenegildo Zegna, which costs around €2,000.00

Miscellaneous Items
-- how much is a bunch of flowers? €10.00
-- how much is Gazzetta dello Sport? either €2.00 or €4.00 (have to check)
-- how much is an iPod? €339.00
-- what is the admission cost to a movie? €12.00
-- how much is the new Harry Potter book? € 18,95
-- and, how much is a voume of Michel Foucault's The Order of Things? € 30.00 (books have a fixed price here, which means they’re a lot more expensive than in other countries. Again, the internet works wonders here)
-- what is the admission fee to the art museum? € 10.00

Departure and Arrival
-- how do you say hello? Hallo/Hoi
-- how do you say goodbye? Dag/Doei

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck

Last edited by Boyo; August 18th, 2005 at 12:34.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2005, 01:17 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

Greetings from New York City

Salary and Benefits
-- average annual income $29,000.
yeah one would think that in NYC everybody's rich but this is what the latest census found. As for myself, this is not applicable as I run my own business and am always in the red.
-- minimum wage $6. an hour; probably $3 or less per hour or 30 cents per piece if you are an illegal worker
-- health insurance/benefits (public or private)
not every US company provides health care to their workers nowadays and if they do, there's usually a $100. deductible then 50-70% coverage. If you visit the hospitals' emergency rooms, you will be billed on a sliding scale according to your income which translates to roughly $0-400. per visit, tests and medicine not included.
-- unemployment insurance/benefits
I think it's 60-70% of your last earned wage, for 1.5 years. I may be worng since I have never been unemployed (!) My friend in San Francisco had horror stories though--he was told the bad news by the company at 6 AM and was not allowed to collect his personal belongings until after 8 PM the following day. His software designer's job was outsourced.

Food and Drink
-- how much is a cup of coffee or tea? $1.25 in my neighbood diner with free refills; 7 times that at the Ritz-Carlton, no refills.
-- how much is a glass/bottle of beer? $2. per bottle at the market; $3.50-5. per galss at Mustang Sally's in Chelsea.
-- what is the cost of a pint of vodka? $5. at "The Library" (the most awesome place in town so sayeth Time Out magazine) but if you don't care about quality and the company you keep, a larger but definitely more inferior bottle can be found in East New York, Brooklyn for $2.99.
-- how much is a scoop of ice cream? small $1.50 medium $2.50 large $4.(yeah this is NYC and it is usually "no enough cold")
-- what is the average cost of lunch and what does it consist of?
from 50 cents for a barbecue pork bun in any Chinese bakery to $75. for a pseudo chic chow in SoHo.
-- and the avg. cost of a dinner out at a restaurant for 2 people?
if you know where to go, you can do it for well under $55. (incl beer) in the FIT area; the upper upper east side; Williamsburg, Brooklyn or Long Island City, Queens.

Transportation
-- how much does gasoline cost? $2.29 per gallon, and rising.
-- what is the Taxi fare from airport to centre of town? $50. or more if you run into them gypsie cabbies.
-- how much is fare for public buses/trains/underground (from home to work)? $2. each way for both buses and subway trains with free transfers; if you put $10. on your MetroCard (fare card) for a bonus of 2 extra rides.

Clothings
-- what is the cost of a pair of socks? 3 for 99 cents at King's in the south Bronx; or $15.99 for a pair of Anna Sui hot socks.
-- and the cost of a pair of shoes? $19.95 for a decent pair of Doc Marten knock-off at King's (second pair half price); or $300. for Prada's.
-- average price of clothes for work/school? about $20-40.
-- and price of fancy clothes? I usually forgo that thought and put a down payment on art instead.

Miscellaneous Items
-- how much is a bunch of flowers? $6-10 per dozen roses or 50 cents to $2. per stem (NYC always reminds people of "Maria Full of Grace").
-- how much is Gazzetta dello Sport? $4.
(but once a week I can get it from my friend Ali at the newstand, with the logo cut off--hey that's ok because they usually feature Milan news near the logo.)
-- how much is an iPod? $299.95 but cheaper if you try craigslist.
-- what is the admission cost to a movie? $10-12. although the Carroll Gardens cinema in Brooklyn has a Sunday morning special of $5 for a double feature. The only draw back is having to get up for the 9 AM showing of "Bowling for Columbine."
-- how much is the new Harry Potter book? $19.95
-- and, how much is a voume of Michel Foucault's The Order of Things? $19.95 also at Borders last time I checked; $9.95 [if available] at the Strand and $3. on the sidewalk tables at 116th Street and Amsterdam if you don't mind a stained cover.
-- what is the admission fee to the art museum? Ranges from $6 at the Brooklyn Museum; $12. for the Met, Frick, Whitney and $20. for the Museum of Modern Art. Most musea have free admission periods--usually on Thursdays or Fridays between 6-8 PM.

Departure and Arrival
-- how do you say hello? a kiss, "Yo!" or some unprintable exclaimations
-- how do you say goodbye? "Bleed me dry baby." Or, to quote my commie pinko colleague: "Give 'em hell."

Last edited by Punkette B; August 20th, 2005 at 01:34.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2005, 18:00
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonita
from 50 cents for a barbecue pork bun in any Chinese bakery to $75. for a pseudo chic chow in SoHo.
But what we're really dying to know is... how much is a large jambalaya at the Soup Nazi?

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2005, 15:45 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

Soup Nazi? Hehe, Boyo, it's way too hot (at 35 degree every workday?) to have that for lunch these past weeks but here's a nice lil story about the soup-stand that inspired the Tv sitcom.

Speaking of jambalaya, I have to mention my neighbor Nancy from Lafayette, Louisiana. This southern belle made the best jamba in the ET time zone and everybody in the building got one or more heaping servings--free of charge --whenever she cooked that wonderous meal for JPB, her artist husband. Well, like all newcomers [and artists] to NYC, the city ate them alive. The last bowl of jambalaya I tasted was over two weeks ago and Nancy is now back home in N'Orleans.

For me, another favourite soup kitchen is the one right wedged between the old graveyard and the subway station way uptown where an outsized bowl of sopa de pollo costs less than $2. and flan 75 cents--bonus for the ability to speak Spanish I guess.

Last edited by Punkette B; August 22nd, 2005 at 15:53.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2005, 23:42
Xtratime Legend

Sounds pretty good. If it wasn't such a long flight, I would love to visit NY and go on one of those Seinfeld reality tours. http://www.kennykramer.com/

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:16
Forum Manager
Star Player

Best cheap food in the world (places I've been division, of course) is the $1.25 sandwich at the Saigon near the SF main library. If you can eat pork it is highly recommended.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2005, 19:48
Legend

Teams: Lazio - PAOK - BMG - Atleti - HJK - River - FAK
Salary and Benefits
-- average income...about 1400 Euro
-- minimum wage...hmm, 700 I guess
-- health insurance/benefits (public or private)....free but makes up for a big part of taxes.
-- unemployment insurance/benefits...depends on your last salary, but 600 is the minimum right now.

Food and Drink
-- how much is a cup of coffee or tea? at least 2 Euro
-- how much is a glass/bottle of beer? about 3 Euro for "a Halbe" (half a litre)
-- what is the cost of a pint of vodka? no idea, I hate Vodka
-- how much is a scoop of ice cream? 2 Euro
-- what is the average cost of lunch and what does it consist of? A typical Schnitzel costs around 6 or 7 Euro.
-- and the avg. cost of a dinner out at a restaurant for 2 people? 30 Euro.

Transportation
-- how much does gasoline cost? 1.20, maybe more
-- what is the Taxi fare from airport to centre of town? no idea
-- how much is fare for public buses/trains/underground (from home to work)? 1.50

Clothings
-- what is the cost of a pair of socks? 3 Euro
-- and the cost of a pair of shoes? 50 Euro
-- average price of clothes for work/school? jeans cost around 50 Euro, shirts around 30.
-- and price of fancy clothes? no idea

Miscellaneous Items
-- how much is a bunch of flowers? 10 Euro
-- how much is Gazzetta dello Sport? around 2
-- how much is an iPod? I guess 200 Euro and more
-- what is the admission cost to a movie? 6 Euro
-- how much is the new Harry Potter book? 22.50
-- and, how much is a voume of Michel Foucault's The Order of Things? 15 Euro (paperback)
-- what is the admission fee to the art museum? 9 Euro

Departure and Arrival
-- how do you say hello? Hallo, Servus, Grüß Gott, Guten Tag
-- how do you say goodbye? Tschüs, Servus, Auf Wiedersehen

FORZA BEPPE SIGNORI!!!
FORZA BEPPE FAVALLI!!!!
KRYLIA SOVETOV

Venus, my homecountry, your women are the best, your cities the most beautiful, your religion the one and only, your nature ranks first, your men are the most masculine, your language a grace of sound, your food the most delicious, your history the most glorious, your culture knows no rivals. And of course we hate Uranus!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in