Conceptual Art - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2005, 02:43 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Conceptual Art

Definition: "Conceptual art as a movement emerged during the mid-1960s, in part as a reaction against formalism as it was then articulated by the influential New York art critic Clement Greenberg. However, the work of the French artist Marcel Duchamp from the 1910s and 1920s paved the way for the conceptualists, providing them with examples of prototypically conceptual works (the readymades, for instance) that defied categorisation and could not be said to be art by virtue of their specific visual properties alone.

What propelled Conceptual Art into existence?

Conceptual Art is considered a backlash to the late 20th century propensity to view art as a commodity. Proponents of Conceptual Art are concerned with concepts such as the nature of art; conceptual works are meant to be provocative and to expand the idea of art well beyond that of an attractive object whose price increases. The idea generating a conceptual work matters more than any by-product or artifact produced to illustrate that idea.

Who are the key figures in Conceptual Art?

As the father of Dadaism, Marcel Duchamp is considered the grandfather of Conceptual Art. German artist Joseph Beuys (1921-1986) was a charismatic--if controversial--persona related to the movement. American artist Joseph Kosuth figured heavily in Conceptual Art during the early 1970's in the US. But this movement is more important for the dialogue it introduced rather than for any individual practitioner."

In this thread we will showcase events and objects from this period [say, loosing between 1968 through 1978]. Feel free to add to the roster.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogāver

Last edited by Punkette B; July 11th, 2005 at 20:14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2005, 02:44 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

Joseph Beuys (German 1921-1986)
How to Explain Paintings to a Dead Hare, 1965

Performanace art in which Beuys cradled in his arms
a dead rabbit and talked to it about art for 3 hours.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2005, 22:28
World Class Player

Joseph Beuys, born at May the 12th of 1921, was arguably one of the most influential, interesting and by consciousness of a certain social responsibility tempted artists Germany has brought up in the last century. He, in addition to some of his works, became famous with the sentence "Every person is an artist".
His most talked about piece of art had the name "7000 oaks" and is still to be seen everywhere in the city of Kassel. In 1982 he had 7000 hughe stones thrown onto a public place downtown the city and if the citizens wanted to get their public place back from out of the stones' reign they had to plant an oak somewhere in Kassel for every stone they'd remove. The last tree was planted in 1987 by his son Wenzel Beuys. He did not come to witness this moment, having died in January the 23rd of 1986.

Agora não, que joga o Benfica! (Deolinda)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2005, 15:18 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

Always a pleasure to see another individual who apprecites the work of Joseph Beuys

Almost 20 years after his death, Beuys remains to be a heroic symbol for many artists and young people in Germany [and in Europe and Asia]. It's extremely unfortunate that he was not as welcome as he should have been in the U.S. where sensationalism usually outweights intellectual endeavours.

Thanks, Bier :thmbup:

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2005, 16:48
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
Does my hero, John Cage, count as such?

(Here he is meeting with another genius, the legendary spaceman Sun Ra, whose version of Pink Elephants On Parade is probably the best song ever.)

John Cage was an American composer who is still ahead of his time. Most famous, I suppose, for his 4 minutes and six seconds of silence as a composition piece, he wrote thousands of musical works as well as collaborating on many artistic endeavors with other artists such as Merce Cunningham, Jasper Johns and Robert Rauschenberg. His music is, unlike some avant garde composers', quite pretty.

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2005, 21:35
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonita
Always a pleasure to see another individual who apprecites the work of Joseph Beuys
The pleasure is mine.

Quote:
Almost 20 years after his death, Beuys remains to be a heroic symbol for many artists and young people in Germany [and in Europe and Asia]. It's extremely unfortunate that he was not as welcome as he should have been in the U.S. where sensationalism usually outweights intellectual endeavours.
I did not even know up to now that he is so famous and widely known and his works so appreciated outside of Germany. It's good to know. In Germany he's quite a big name, though german people sometimes tend to indeed only know the name (in case they find themselves in a small-talk about art, so to throw it into the 'debate' and appear smart ) and hardly his works or motivations. But I think that is the lot of more artists and not only a german phenomen. I suppose you know way more about Joseph Beuys then 8 out of 10 persons I would randomly chose in the streets of my hometown. :thmbup:

Quote:
Thanks, Bier :thmbup:
You're welcome

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2005, 23:07 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

Thanks, Bier, Heather

Joseph Beuys was included in a group called Fluxus whose members included the great John Cage. In the 1960's, Fluxus became quite popular in other parts of Europe and in Japan; its Asian members included the Korean video artist [a.k.a. the Father of Video Art :thmbup:] Nam June Paik and Yoko Ono [who's done a lot more things before her Bed piece in Amsterdam with John; her book Grapefruit for instance, was a prize piece].

But Beuys was never comfortable with the Fluxus artists and, on occasion, had deliberately "crashed" their performance pieces.

Here is a photo of a video piece by a collaborator of Nam June Paik, my fellow New Yorker Charlotte Moorman

Charlotte Moorman (American, 1933-1991), Video Tv Bra, 1969, collaboration with Nam June Paik.

Last edited by Punkette B; July 15th, 2005 at 23:12.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old July 16th, 2005, 13:44
World Class Player

Awesome picture nice piece of art. I like such Video-installations. Very creative way of expression as one can deal with many senses of human audience via optic or acoustic first and foremost. You can make the room used touchable and able to interact with the audience or set it under a certain smell. A good Video-installation can be an adventure.

About Fluxus ... I read the other day they had some connections to Dadaism-literature as well, but were rather musically and artistically based however. I am really impressed by some of Beuys' 'ideas' and the works following them
But I'm lost for words about Dadaism-literature. Lost for good words to be more explicit However talking this certain matter should rather belong to the bookshop prbably, just came to my mind when reading Fluxus somehow.

Cristiano

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old July 16th, 2005, 21:07
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
Not to play 'Six Degrees of Francis Bacon', but isn't Beck (the musician guy not Julian) somehow related to someone in Fluxus? I recall reading that back when he was the titular 23 year old Savior of American Music (back when I was the titular 23 year old Savior of the SFSU History Dept. so I could be recalling it wrongly).

To continue on a musical theme: Harry Partch. He may count towards conceptual art. He made his own musical instruments and wrote symphonies with lots of inter-disciplinarian participation. And like Thaddeus Cahill and Wilhelm Reich, he was completely ignored by the gatekeepers of high culture and 'acceptable' science.
http://www.harrypartch.com/aboutpartch.htm

Erm, also how would something like Warhol's Factory scene fit in? Wasn't there a musical, 'happening', film and theater (of the Ridiculous*) tie-in there as well? Joe Dallesandro was some kinda work of art...

And to make zee leetle yoke, would some of Jeff Koons' stuff--I speak of the stuff with the ex-wife--count as 'conceptual art'. I think at least one kid came out of that.

*I dislike DRAG, for various reasons (mostly because I find it often misogynistic, kind of like fashion design), but one must admit that certain plays--Two Gentlemen of Verona, The Importance of Being Earnest etc--lend themselves to that type of treatment. Would that all drag performers were as great actors as Charles Ludlum, though. His five minutes in The Big Easy were the greatest supporting five minutes in a film since Henry Jones in Vertigo.

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2005, 22:01 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIO
Erm, also how would something like Warhol's Factory scene fit in? Wasn't there a musical, 'happening', film and theater (of the Ridiculous*) tie-in there as well? Joe Dallesandro was some kinda work of art...

And to make zee leetle yoke, would some of Jeff Koons' stuff--I speak of the stuff with the ex-wife--count as 'conceptual art'. I think at least one kid came out of that.
Funny you should mention Warhol whose work crosses over so many "movements" -- from Pop Art to Conceptual to docu-drama -- and still ccannot be pinned down by historians and curators. That said, Andy and Co., in my opinion, is the FIRST American movement that has broken all ties with Europe.

:thmbup: to Paul Morrissey, director of 98% of all Warhol films, is the resident brain behind all foul plays.

Regarding Jeff Koons, many of his pieces can be categorized as conceptual although Wall Street would want to tell you those are really Pop Art. His life, marriage and child included.

Now to take a break. Nam June Paik's Video Buddha.

Nam June Paik (Koeran-born American, b. 1932), ĢBuddhaģ, 1989

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:19 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier
About Fluxus ... I read the other day they had some connections to Dadaism-literature as well, but were rather musically and artistically based however. I am really impressed by some of Beuys' 'ideas' and the works following them
But I'm lost for words about Dadaism-literature. Lost for good words to be more explicit However talking this certain matter should rather belong to the bookshop prbably, just came to my mind when reading Fluxus somehow.

Cristiano
Dada, as well as Fluxus, are one of the many movements which gently glided representational art towards Deconstruction which actually began with Turner (and later Cezanne, Picasso ...)

But there's one "Dada" which is 100% text but really belongs to the world of art -- Dali's essay on Jean-Franįois Millet, "The Tragic Myth of Millet's Angelus."

And, speaking of words (or art), here's comes Jenny Holzer (American, born 1950) --

Last edited by Punkette B; July 22nd, 2005 at 01:26.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:20 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

Jenny Holzer, Airplane Banner Truisms; Oct.26 - Nov. 7 2004 over New York City.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2005, 19:50 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

While browsing through the topics in the Political Discussion forum, I've come up with this idea -- instead of replying over there, I will answer with a few of my favourite conceptual images in the forthcoming posts.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2005, 19:54 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

Topic: CHINA.

Reply: CAI GUO-QIANG

Cai Guo-Qiang (Born 1957, China)
Xihu Guan Chao (Tide Watching on West Lake)
Project for China Academy of Art, Hangzhou, 2003, 2004.
Copyright Cai Studio.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2005, 01:57 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

Topic: "THE PATRIOT ACT"

Reply: MARTHA ROSLER

Martha Rosler (American, born 1943)
Cleaning the Drapes • Bringing the War Home: House Beautiful • 1967-72, Collage, 26 x 35,6 cm • Š Martha Rosler

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2005, 19:46 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

Topic: RIP ROBIN COOK

Reply: ROBERT SMITHSON

Robert Smithson, Spiro Jetty, 1970

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2006, 22:19 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

September 18, 2006

HONG KONG --A German art student tried to join a Chinese dynasty's army -- but he volunteered centuries too late. The 26-year-old man -- identified only as "Pablo" or by his Chinese name "Ma Lin" -- made a dusty brown suit of armor, a tunic and a helmet, and attempted to blend in with the ancient warriors of the terra cotta army in the western city of Xi'an, the Hong Kong newspapers Ming Pao Daily News and Wen Wei Po reported on Monday.

Police check German art student Pablo Wendel after he was caught in the exhibition hall of the famed terra cotta warriors in Xi'an, in China's Shaanxi province Saturday Sept. 16, 2006. Wendel was briefly detained by police after climbing into the pit and attempting to blend in with the ancient warriors of the terra cotta army. Thousands of terra cotta soldiers that were buried in the tomb of the Emperor Qin Shihuangdi, who ruled China between 221-210 B.C., are displayed in the pit where they were discovered in 1976. (AP Photo)

The outfit matched the uniforms worn by the thousands of terra cotta soldiers buried in the tomb of the Emperor Qin Shihuangdi, who ruled between 221-210 B.C., the papers said. The soldiers -- one of China's greatest archaeological discoveries -- are displayed in a Xi'an museum.

Pablo entered the museum Saturday with his uniform packed in a suitcase, the papers said. Once inside, he quickly changed into the outfit, jumped over a barrier and joined the soldiers, who stand in hundreds of rows.

He blended in so well that security guards had difficulty finding him, Ming Pao said.

"I got to the area where he was supposed to be, looked around a bit and didn't see Ma Lin," the paper quoted a guard as saying. "He just looked too much like a terra cotta warrior."

The papers showed photos of security guards dragging Pablo out of the excavation pit where the soldiers are displayed.

Wen Wei Po quoted Pablo as saying he has been obsessed with the soldiers since his childhood. He reportedly said that he only planned to have a photo of himself taken standing near the museum's excavation pit.

"But when I saw the soldiers, I got too excited and just couldn't stop myself from jumping into the pit," he was quoted as saying.

Since he didn't damage the soldiers, Pablo was released after getting a lecture from the security officials, the papers said.

source: apnews

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2007, 23:48 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

TOPIC : The Long Goodbye

Reply : Lola Scarpitta (born 1957, Rome)

Lola Scarpitta, The Death of Guevara, oil on canvas

Edouard Manet, L'Exécution de Maximilien, 1868-1869, oil on canvas

TOPIC : The Long Goodbye

Reply : Lola Scarpitta (born 1957, Rome)

Édouard Manet, The Dead Toreador, 1864, oil on canvas

Lola Scarpitta, Death of A 20th Century Housewife, 2006, oil on linen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in