Luc Tuymans - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2005, 19:11 Thread Starter
gOD
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Luc Tuymans

Time for a contemporary but figurative painter.

Luc Tuyman most of the time paints subjects with social relevance (Boudewijn in Congo, the holocaust,...) but in a aloof (some say cold) way. Still if you look closer and know a thing or 2 about the subject, you will recognise hints and elements that point to a certain opinion.

But Bonita will certainly be able to tell mor eon him

http://www.davidzwirner.com/artists/9/
http://www.zeno-x.com/artists/tuyman...l_frameset.htm
http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/tuymans/

We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace!

26.000 Faces :frownani:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2005, 15:53
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gOD
But Bonita will certainly be able to tell mor eon him
No more than adding to what you already have, Geert

1. What Tuymans looks like

Photograph of Luc Tuymans (Born 1958, Mortsel, Belgium) about 2 or 3 years ago.

2. What he says

"Pictures, if they are to have effect, must have tremenedous intensity of silence, a filled silence or void. The observer should become motionless before the picture, freeze. A kind of picture terror. I show pictures with a direct intention. The effect they should have on the viewer resembles an assault that he or she does not experience directly, but from a distance initially. When he or she comes closer, this assault should loom again, but on a different level. Something quite unmistakable then triggers certain emotions, makes certain demands,. This can only come about in a certain silence. I mean the silence before the storm. It is not about developing feelings of melancholy, but about a certain form of deja vu." - Luc Tuymans

3. Two or three of my favourites -

Mayhem, 2003; oil on canvas, 187 x 291 x 4 cm

Body, 1990, oil on canvas; 49 x 35 cm

The Heritage II, 1995, oil on canvas; 142.5 x 72.5 cm.

4. Something that's on my mind about Tuymans -

This can be said about others as well. I sincerely hope that Luc Tuymans continue to work because he wants to and not because a market calls and a response must be provided.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2005, 23:57 Thread Starter
gOD
Legend

You're right about 4. The sell of his most recent painting Sculpture (I admit it, also the reason I thought of him again for this post) poses that threat. In the interviews he gave the last couple of days, he looked pretty embarassed about it though.

Although I like his work, Tuymans for me is the example of how contemporary art is astranged from society (or maybe the other way around is more correct) though. Until 1 or 2 years ago, when he had that exibission at Tate Modern, I didn't know the guy (I bet almost nobody in Belgium did). I remember eating at my mother's and the news was on. They had an item on him and his exibission. All of a sudden my mum (who is a pharmasist in Mortsel, the town were I was raised and am still living) says "Hey there you have mr. Tuymans". I asked "where do you know this guy from". Turned out he was a client of hers for years, but she never knew what he did for a living.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2005, 01:22
XT Consultants
International

Luc Tuymans is a very good artist and his work indeed reflects the uncertainties of our time. But Tuymans is also very lucky because he is represented by some of the world's most successful art dealers.

But being connected to the patron and advertising giant Saatchi has its rewards and nightmares. I hope Tuymans will continue to create paintings because there is an innate desire to do so and not just generating objects because the art market demands items of alienation and melancholy.

I enjoy reading your personal account of Luc Tuymans. An artist's highest goal is often self-serving; but the pharmacist's responsibility is just the opposite. In many ways, your mum IS the real messenger of democracy here. Thanks, Geert.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2005, 16:17 Thread Starter
gOD
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonita
Luc Tuymans is a very good artist and his work indeed reflects the uncertainties of our time. But Tuymans is also very lucky because he is represented by some of the world's most successful art dealers.
I always wondered, how does that work? Is it e.g. comparable to managers in football who also do everything they can (start rumours,...) to 'sell' their player'?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2005, 01:32
XT Consultants
International

As much as we want to ignore -- art requires patrons. WIthout the Medicis, Van Gogh's Dr. Gachet, the Nabis' dealer Ambroise Vollard, the art historian Duveen who redefined the Renaissance, Peggy Guggenheim, Nelson Rockefeller ... where would some of the great art be?

Much like football, you're correct about certain art trends. But do not jump to the conclusion that dealers are THE evil ones.

Vemeer the Dutch painter, for example, was also a good art dealer who assisted in spreading high art to the middle class. And in our own 21st Century, western politicians -- with their greed and fear -- are entirely responsible for the emergence of a new generation of artists as pacifists.

One of Luc Tuymans' patrons is advertising executive Charles Saatchi who engineered the good fortunes of Damien Hirst and fellow Young British Artists. While purists scorn, one cannot deny the fact that Saatchi had had the foresight and knowledge to provide a steady working environment for young talents and, at the same time,
had actually created a new movement in art.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2005, 00:33
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gOD
All of a sudden my mum (who is a pharmasist in Mortsel, the town were I was raised and am still living) says "Hey there you have mr. Tuymans".
Hey, get me some blank script. It's really useful to have.

J/K by 1/2

Geep, even I have heard of this guy (and I rarely read ArtForum when I'm not at the dentist) and not just because of mine blooming interest in such people who's names end in 'mans'. Is good for figurative modern. which I don't usually likes at all (Salle excepted).

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in