Art in Context : Discussion 10 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old March 6th, 2005, 16:50 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Art in Context : Discussion 10

Discussion 10 : Your comments on films about artists.

This is a companion topic and homage paid to Heather's thread. :thmbup:

Have you seen any movies about artists, writers, musicians or art movements? Let's hear all about them.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver

Last edited by Punkette B; March 6th, 2005 at 17:00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old March 6th, 2005, 16:53 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

I will start.

The Savage Messiah (Dir Ken Russel, 1972) - on Henri Gaudier-Brzeska and Sofie Gaudier Brzeska.
Ken Russel's little gem about a young sculptor and his older lover. A best kept secret among artists If you can locate the DVD, by all means see it!

Before Night Falls (Dir Julian Schnabel, 2000) - on Cuban writer Reinaldo Arenas
My favourite Julian Schnabel film -- and Javier Bardem's eyes

Most American film directors do not understand art, that's their loss. I'm glad Schnabel decides to give up painting and make films, that's our gain

The Filth & the Fury (Dir Julian Temple, 2000) - on the Sex Pistols
One of the best documentaries I've seen; and the best of all Pistols flicks.

Basquiat (Dir Julain Schnabel, 1996)- on Jean-Michel Basquiat
Again Julian Schnabel excelled. Just seeing David Bowie as Warhol is worth the DVD rental.

American Splendor (Dir Shari Springer Berman & Robert Pulcini, 2003) - on comic book guy Harvey Pekar
Very ambitious and uneven film that deserves a huge round of applause. The mix of jazz music and cartoons did work wonders.

Pollock - on Jackson Pollock (Dir Ed Harris, 2000)
There are times when certain things are best left alone. And it is cruel to degrade such a giant as Jackson Pollock. 100% trash

The Hours - on Virginia Woolf (Dir Stephen Daldry, 2002)
I feel sorry for Nicole who was definitely miscast. No matter how hard she tries, Kidman is not Virginia Woolf and will never be. The last scene - in which Meryl Streep frantically throws out gourmet food into the garbage can - is obscene. Trash number two

Lust for Life (Dir Vincente Minneli, 1956) - on Vincent Van Gogh
Kirk Douglas as Vinnie? Anthony Quinn as Gauguin? Egads. Nice vintage poster though.

Frida (Dir Julie Taymor, 2002) - on the life of Mexican painter Frida Kahlo.
Edward Norton's portrayal of Nelson Rockefeller is top drawer although Selma Heyak is way too healthy to be Frida. A film made by good-intentioned Hollywood types but, my, it was difficult to hold back laughters in the theater! And I haven't got to the Trotsky character yet ...

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old March 6th, 2005, 17:26
gOD
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
In general such films are not my thing. I believe the genre for such matters should be a documentary and not a "based on a true story" kind of film. Nobody wins with a gloryfication, tearjerking or search for sensation you'll always have in such movies. Still...

Buenavista Social Club (Wim Wenders, 1999); it's by Wim Wenders and it is more or less a documentary so... . Cuba's massively talented ensemble that thanks to Ry Cooder and this film got the praise they deserved in the rest of the world.

Girl with a pearl ear ring (Peter Webber, 2003); I know many disagree with me but I enjoyed this movie a lot. The decor, the inner city of Amsterdam, in which I saw it, maybe biassed my vision in a positive way, but I though the magic of Vermeersch's work stayed intact in this film. And if you think it doesn't well then there is always a ravissant Scarlet Johansson to look at

Hilary and Jackie (Anand Tucker,1998); is a fantastic film about the musician Jacquelin du Pré. It succeeds were "Shine" (another film about a musician) fails miserably. I don't really know wheter this is the type of movie you are looking for Bonita, but if not you won't regret watching it if only for the divine Elgar and Schumann Concerto's

We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace!

26.000 Faces :frownani:

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old March 7th, 2005, 06:34
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
I have seen the Filth & The Fury also. Indeed a good stuff. Long time ago I watched another documentary about the story of Punk - which i do not remember the name, sadly - very similar to this one and very good also.

Amadeus: Milos Forman is a very good director and have a keen sense to make his main character to be in some conflict against something that is bigger than him. If the story does have little exagerations and changes to make F.Murray Abraham's Salieri to be more villanic, it still a great movie.

Memorias do Carcere: This is a brazilian movie from 1984 with a great Acting of Carlos Vereza. The movie is a based on the Book of the same name by the greater writer Gracialiano Ramos, when he had problems and was in the jail because of the dictador Getulio Vargas. The book, neither the movie, are real, this is a version of the story and a great work that Gracilianos uses to tell about his experience not about the facts alone.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old March 7th, 2005, 07:09
BANNED!
Star Player

Henry and June...some great banging scenes...man was he banging that french chick
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old March 7th, 2005, 07:38
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Quote:
The Savage Messiah (Dir Ken Russel, 1972) - on Henri Gaudier-Brzeska and Sofie Gaudier Brzeska.
Ken Russel's little gem about a young sculptor and his older lover. A best kept secret among artists If you can locate the DVD, by all means see it!
Ken Russel has a more known film about Bacon, and the Shelley couple, "Gothic" I think...has some great moments

I saw few images of Fellini's Casanova, how do you rate it? Fellini still a mystery for me, never saw an entir movie from him...

Amadeus was an entertaining movie certainly, that create a very tangible Mozart and had an easy going script, great achieve when many tend to swim in muddy waters of intelligentzia and panflet...

Quote:
Buenavista Social Club (Wim Wenders, 1999); it's by Wim Wenders and it is more or less a documentary so... . Cuba's massively talented ensemble that thanks to Ry Cooder and this film got the praise they deserved in the rest of the world.
Good movie from Win, I was begining to feel really tired with his movies, good fresh air, and great dudes those cubans...

[QUOTE]Scarlet Johansson
Quote:

I just love her, never felt that way with a movie star since I saw an old italian with Virna Lisi...
Pollock - on Jackson Pollock (Dir Ed Harris, 2000)
There are times when certain things are best left alone. And it is cruel to degrade such a giant as Jackson Pollock. 100% trash[QUOTE]

saw few parts, but mainly what did they trash? Pollock, or your idea of him? is a question we must ask always, as long as the director is portrating an honest view from his ideas, will be ok even if we don't share it, something else is when a Director lijke Wolfgang Petersen that made that great das boot, pulls out an Achilles whose lover become a cousin and they stop a battle to see a Dvid Finch's "fight club" scene, then there you will have something wrong right in the basis.
I'm talking without seeing it Bonita, you may be more than right, or better I may share your view, just adding an usuall error I tend to fell, and saw many do to...
BTW I have my issues with idolizing anything, more actors, but Ed Harris is mostly always great, an American Tringtinat, no overacting with them as rule...

"De cada 10 personas que ven televisión...5 son la mitad"
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old March 7th, 2005, 13:24
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Ken Russel has a more known film about Bacon, and the Shelley couple, "Gothic" I think...has some great moments
Yes, Gothic, a 1986 movie about the legendary nights that lead to the creation of Frankstein, etc. With Gabriel Byrne and Julian Sands I think...I found it interesting but mostly irregular and with a so odd cast...I can not think of Gabriel Byrne as Byron...

That make me remember another movie with Mary Shelley and Frankstein creation theme, one with John Hurt and Raul Julia that he comes back in time and meet her. It was a Roger Corman production so it almost outplace here in Bonita's topic. Frankstein Unbound was the name of such movie. In this same we may list Ed Wood from Tim Burton.

I remember another fiction, Time after Time, where Malcolm McDowell portraits a H.G.Wells who travels to the end of XX century to hunt down a friend that happened to be Jack, The Ripper (but this is mostly entertaining little movie)

There is also Wilde, with Stephen Fry as Oscar Wilde and a very young Jude Law. It is not a great movie or anything, just a very correct production.
And Marquise, a nice movie with the bonus of Sophie Marceau as the main character, an actress loved by Racine that also worked with Moliere.
Another Brazilian Movie, Eternamente Pagu, a correct movie about Pagu, lover of Oswald de Andrade, he one of the main heads of the Modernist Movement here (She also wrote a few poems and books) and main figure of the communist/feminist movemment here. Good movie to start an insight in this perido/movemment here in Brasil.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old March 7th, 2005, 22:17
Legend

Quote:
Roger Corman
hail to Roger! and his Poe's movies, I have a thing with B movies, I sent so many afternoons watching on Staurdays a movie cicle called: "Sabados de Super Accion", it was great, western spaghetti, Corman, Carpenter, lots of fun...

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2005, 02:36 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangio
Ed Harris...
First and foremost, I salute anyone who makes films. As the child of two documentarists, I understand too well the pain and grind of the movie industry and anyone who has dipped their hands at filmmaking even trash filmmaking still gets my support.

That said, the film Pollock was a missed opportunity. Rather than trying to convince the audience that Jackson Pollock was a drunk and a murderer - a fact that none of us can argue - the film should have given a more in-depth overview to Pollock's life, i.e., his earlier work [figurative, conventional and, at one point, he even tried to imitate El Greco...] before the drip-paintings and his psychiatric analysis sessions that eventually led to his demise. The film should also focus more on NYC in the 1950's and early 60's vis a vis Greenwich Villiage, the Beats, more art scenes such as how Peggy Guggenheim, Clement Greenberg et al became the art world's king pins ... In order to build a character, history and facts are needed. It is extremely difficult to portray an artist becuase the person's character and private life often has nothing to do with the artwork he produces.

Ed Harris is undoubtedly a very fine actor and probably an unusually caring individual in private life. But he does not know enough about art to make this film. Or should I say, he may know quite a bit about art but due to certain circumstances has chosen to present a narrow aspect of Pollock's life in the movie. That is sad.

There is a scene when Jackson Pollock - out of luck and money and six sheets to the wind - tried to balance his bike and a case of beer on a country road. He fell and the beer bottles smashed. The crowd in the theater roared with laughters. As much a Miss Temperance as I am, I couldn't laugh. A man had fallen and we cheered that. That's sad.

At that point, his film has also fallen apart. And it is sader still because the director has not realized this fact.

Anyway, I hope you will get to see the movie, that's the responsibility of a movie buff, no?

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2005, 03:10
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
hail to Roger! and his Poe's movies, I have a thing with B movies, I sent so many afternoons watching on Staurdays a movie cicle called: "Sabados de Super Accion", it was great, western spaghetti, Corman, Carpenter, lots of fun...
There is nothing more cool in horror movies than Vicent Price. He and all actors of B movies, Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Peter Lorre, Carradine, Karloff, Lugosi...And however I forget here. (Bela Lugosi is dead is the coolest band's name ever). Dr.Phibes's Price is memorable.
Spamming a little here, buta Movie Buff would not mind, right ?

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2005, 04:47
Legend

Quote:
that's the responsibility of a movie buff, no?
what's a movie buff? really no second lecture, I'm poor in english...btw I was asking only because you sound so determinant, many times we want our idea of a particular story, history period, writer, artist involve, to be reflected and we missed a perhaps well constructed movie, but again I was just asking, chating, guessing I hope the buff is not a sarcastic reaction thinking I was bashing you, which wasn't the case...

PD: was MArcia something (Hayden I think) that is great too in that film

Quote:
buta Movie Buff would not mind, right ?
well again, just in case go **** yourselves you two :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh:

Quote:
There is nothing more cool in horror movies than Vicent Price. He and all actors of B movies, Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Peter Lorre, Carradine, Karloff, Lugosi...And however I forget here. (Bela Lugosi is dead is the coolest band's name ever). Dr.Phibes's Price is memorable.
great list mister, great list...I don't remeber where I read Nicolas Cage is going to make a remake of a B movie of Vincent Price that is kind of a cult movie, base in Scotalnd sthg like that, may be is planning to return to his days of vampire...

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2005, 05:09
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

As If I am good in english , man. Frankly, I think our mistakes only helped every conversation we had

I am afraid of Nicolas Cage, that way he looks up, awful acting, horrible.
Thinking of how badly hollywood do with remakes those days I think I would watch even Whales of August over and over to have a Piece of Vicent Price acting than any remake...(hey, you should be not cocky with Bonita, we are making her topic into a talk about old B horror movies, we better give her some time break )

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2005, 05:34
Legend

I can't help being cocky, it seems, even when I do not try, in fact I wasn't even going to use smilies in the **** yourselves, I always think everyone will get I'm joking for instance..I was proven wrong many times, but still being an idiot...I tell you a movie I like with two actors I don't a bit: "Face off", both suits the cartoonist style of Johny perfectly...

...and don't blame me bastard, I bring "Gothic" here, if we won't to really destroy Bonita's thread we should bring a hollywood typical: recently dead + drugs/any type of addiction + preferebly from a minority (sexual/ratial) + with an horrendous childhood (at least problematic), revindication (read money, popularity), low down (hey the drugs you know), and finall revindication....or just a real life story with preferible some deadly illness...
the serious aspect of the Oscars, is like a boomerang, can't be more funny, oh is all so touching!!!!!!!! I think I never hate more something related to cinema than watching Benigni winning an Oscar with such a horrible movie, that in many ways is nothing to care about much, but I dislike the post repercutions and things I will have to bare after this kind of successfull movies in every day life...

Back in being cocky, let's talk about "Ray" to **** entirely the thread...

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2005, 05:36
Legend

btw..just joking just in case, and again what is buff?

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2005, 05:49
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

I have not watched it, so all the blame is yours
I love cinema, but I am old and grumpy. Last year I get out to watch only two movies. Only it was because an old friend was here in town and just because of that. It was Kill bill 2 and hated it. And the other was really my planning, The Incridibles and it was worth. So, you can say I am old and grumpy and I can download most stuff but the reason is really, really, the movies are often bad. What destroy the experience of watching movies are those movies who dont share with me any experience at all! Not the new technologies.
(Benigni was really ridicilous.)
to save up this topic I rmemeber another well done movie, The Agony and Ecstasy with Charlton Heston and Rex Harrison , about the time of the creation of Sistine Chapel painting by Micheangelo (Heston).

well about Buff - Vampire Slayer ? Bad joke no ? I suppose is something like a fan ?

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2005, 07:35
Legend

Buffy is certainly hot (nah for me, I dig the languid skinny blondes), or maybe is because it reminds me of an old affair...she was really similar..

Is there any movie about Leonardo? I can't recall strange, becuase it has everything for Hollywood to make a blockbuster...

I saw the other day a documentary about the Incredibles, I will see it eventually...I rmemebr I was impress with Toy story that I thought I wouldn't like it, the claws as God was hillarious in that scene of the machine to grab little toy monsters...

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2005, 07:44
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

It is a great movie for those who have Super-hero comics culture (and amazing, It is possible, for those who just want fun), you will see the fantastic four and even Watchman there. And Amazing! Fun. Buffy can still be hot, even if not skinny and looking like an old affair of yours. With those credentials, much better than mine, you are now the responsable for getting girls to go to our Island. I will take care of the food, All we need are good and fatty players after all...

You mean a movie about how leonardo created the Turin's sudarium using old techiniques to make photography, with chemicals from a old book from some arabain genious, his knowledge of anathomy and dark chamber of a castle he visited ? That would be the movie...
(There must be somewhere such movie, however my memory is bad for I can not recall it)...

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2005, 08:16
BANNED!
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangio
I can't help being cocky, it seems, even when I do not try, in fact I wasn't even going to use smilies in the **** yourselves, I always think everyone will get I'm joking for instance..I was proven wrong many times, but still being an idiot...I tell you a movie I like with two actors I don't a bit: "Face off", both suits the cartoonist style of Johny perfectly...

...and don't blame me bastard, I bring "Gothic" here, if we won't to really destroy Bonita's thread we should bring a hollywood typical: recently dead + drugs/any type of addiction + preferebly from a minority (sexual/ratial) + with an horrendous childhood (at least problematic), revindication (read money, popularity), low down (hey the drugs you know), and finall revindication....or just a real life story with preferible some deadly illness...
the serious aspect of the Oscars, is like a boomerang, can't be more funny, oh is all so touching!!!!!!!! I think I never hate more something related to cinema than watching Benigni winning an Oscar with such a horrible movie, that in many ways is nothing to care about much, but I dislike the post repercutions and things I will have to bare after this kind of successfull movies in every day life...

Back in being cocky, let's talk about "Ray" to **** entirely the thread...
how's that for a semi-literate, semi-rational rambling

BTW does Ed Harris bang Marcia in the movie?
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2005, 09:01
Legend

...well rational I'm always, the issue is the quality of the brain use, or more the actuall state of it (once was pretty good, is said, but mothers loves us whatever happens), therefore the results are mostly dissapointing...about Marcia, ask Bonita, but she may not even will like to talk about it...

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2005, 09:37
Rising Star

Teams: Sampdoria
I read g/w a p/er/ing , not the movie

i thought it was good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in