Art in Context : Discussion 8

First, I stand silent

For the departure of a good person in administration

But

as SAMPDORIA so astutely indicated

Thank you, Anders, for giving us all a bigger heart

And welcome back, to the other side

Let's talk about musea.

1. What is your favourite museum (musea)? Tell us more about that.

2. What is your favourite area of a museum?

3. If you could re-organize the layout of a museum (e.g. the hanging and installation of art work, locations of galleries, restaurants, shops...), what will your new arrangement(s) be?

4. For those who dislike musea, tell us why.

5. Post your favourite art work in a public collection.

I look forward to your replies.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old February 20th, 2005, 17:26
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Real Madrid & La Furia Roja

I assume you mean an art museum (otherwise its the science history museum in London ). Its the Thyssen Bornemiza in Madrid. Ive been to the Prado too and the Reina Sofia, but the Thyssen has the right mixture of every period I though.

(dutch) landscape art & blue rider

3. If you could re-organize the layout of a museum (e.g. the hanging and installation of art work, locations of galleries, restaurants, shops...), what will your new arrangement(s) be?

the thyssen was almost perfect, just would paint the walls in a different way. Not rosé!

I like interactivity in a museum. Even if its hard to do in an art museum. But maybe a phone talking about the period/artist/style whatever. Maybe even introducing ppl into art history or paint/drawing desks introducing into the respective style. Also pc-guides can be a great help.

Dalí - "The maximum velocity of Rafaels Madonna"

1954/ Oil on Canvas/ 81.2x66cm
Museum: Reina Sofia (Madrid)

really loove that pic as he only put the minimum needed up to show but still left the viewer the imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago Bernabeu
The Real Madrid shirt is white it can stain of mud, sweat, and even of blood but never of shame.
Hala Madrid ... y nada mas.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2005, 13:56
Rising Star

Teams: Sampdoria

Probably the new Melbourne Museum and Federation Square "National Gallery"

Mel. Museum has more European exhibions which is why i like it, and it always changes, not much is permenant. As for the national Gallery, to be honest have not really had a good look, but from what i see its has a lot of modern art.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2005, 19:48
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
The Oakland Museum. Not really for anything it has ever had hanging or displayed in it, but because it is the only museum I have ever spent a day sleeping in (long story, but it has to do with a rainy day and a rock concert). It has many little hidden rooms with comfortable carpets and was, back in the mid-80s really easy to sneak into without paying. that day, I beleive the big exibit was Richard Avedon's In The West photo essay, and it was cab Calloway's birthday too. Other than that, I liked the Plantin-Moretus museum in Antwerp and have fond memories of the old California Academy of Sciences.
Any part that has something I like in it, especially if it is empty of other people (especially people using taped naration guides). That said, the sala XII of the Vatican Pinocoteca is great because it has more pictures I like than any other and it was practically deserted. The room with the international Gothic at the Uffizi is also nice.
Restrooms on the top floor. The Florentines got that one right. And just like books should be arranged by subject THEN by author, art should be arranged by style then by artist.
Fall of the Rebel Angels by Frans Floris at the KMSKA. A rather minor artist of the 15th century, but I really liked seeing this painting:

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:59 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
My turn to answer.

How does one describe her work place? That is the question.

The following are ten of my favourite, for work and play
1. Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
2. Tate Gallery / Tate Modern, London
3. Art Institute of Chicago
4. Courtault Insitute, London
5. Galeria degli Uffizi, Florence
6. Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam
7. The Louvre, Paris
8. Fogg Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
9. Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, Connecticut
10. Isabella Gardner Museum, Boston

I will always be drawn to the drawings, prints & books department of any museum; other than that, I will have to say the rest rooms. Don't underestimate this feature. Statistics have shown that many visitors frequent a museum not for the art but for the rest stop. In New York City, the Metropolitan Museum has the most conveniently located restrooms and the Guggenheim has the most elegant -- where there is one private bathroom on each floor -- well, I guess one needs some elegance after climbing the sprial walkways to heaven ... The newly renovated Museum of Modern Art has not delivered much improvements except that the toilet doors in the women's restrooms are now seamless thus peek-proof. Indeed, a great improvement! But is it worth the $20. admission fee?

I have always wanted to mount art objects differently. Take, for instance, ancient objects. Given adequate temperature control and protection, why can't we view a Sumerian figurine the same way we view a sculpture by Picasso or Kiki Smith or Jeff Koons? A large number of musea follows an invisible formula for art display which in turns defines an invisible rule book for art investment values. Perhaps it is to our advantage to break that rule.

4. For those who dislike musea, tell us why.
I like musea but will try to answer this question anyway: I think there is an invisible barrier drawn -- by all art institutions -- to discourage visitors from the lower middle class. And that is sad.

One of my favourites: Jean Francois Millet's Gleaners.

Jean-Francois Millet (French, 1814-1875), Les glaneuses, 1857, oil on canvas; 33 x 44 in.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old February 25th, 2005, 19:24
gOD
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
(1) Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam. I like the atmosphere as well as the works hanging there. I just hope that athmosphere is kept when it reopens after restauration.

(2) This may sound odd, but I think the bar. Not because I'm a sad drunk who waits there while the other enjoy the works but because the way the bar is arranged gives you a really good idea what the goal of the entire musuem is.

3) Really no idea, it takes a special eye to install a museum and a collection. I don't have that knowledge so I'd rather be surprised byu people who do have it

4)

5) I already posted Het Zotte Geweld in part 1 of these series. Another work I really like, but only saw once are Monet's Waterlelies and Nympheas (in the Orangerie in Paris).

We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace!

26.000 Faces :frownani:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in