'The Gates, Central Park, New York, 1979-2005' - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2005, 13:35 Thread Starter
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Real Madrid & La Furia Roja
'The Gates, Central Park, New York, 1979-2005'

i thought it would be a good idea to open a thread with some pics of that. Maybe NYC based ppl can tell us more about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago Bernabeu
The Real Madrid shirt is white it can stain of mud, sweat, and even of blood but never of shame.
Hala Madrid ... y nada mas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2005, 13:40 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
The Real Madrid shirt is white it can stain of mud, sweat, and even of blood but never of shame.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2005, 13:43 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I really like the pics. The color is great for this time of the year. Really freshy!

Quote:

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2005, 17:34
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Tons of kudos for the thread, LaBlanca I am in the midst of my usual piles of prints and books so this post will be brief.

But I will be back

Notes from my sojourn yesterday, several hours after the Gates were unfurled.

12 February 2005 - 4 PM - Great Lawn, New York City.

Just to remind you that The Gates, a project by Christo and his wife Jeanne-Claude is now open to the public throughout Central Park, New York City. It will be there for the next 15 days or, until 28 February.

After spending an entire afternoon there, I have to say the project has managed to make me less of a cynic. Although I do wish thinner fabric had been chosen so that the drapes would "billow" a little more in the wind. Then again, it is the Manhattanite art historian at work in me.

Swatches of the fabric were given to us by C/J workers.

Amid the sea of orange, a homeless man gazed up at all the fashionable New Yorkers clad in black.

Christo and Jeanne-Claude have been working to get The Gates off the ground since 1979. Three cheers for hard work that paid off!

http://christojeanneclaude.net/tg.html

If you're in NYC, do go

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogāver
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2005, 17:37
Premier Player

Looks very dutch, doesn't it?

Come with me and live a lie on t'Internet!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2005, 19:39 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

found some scetches on the gates:

Quote:
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2005, 19:43 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonita
Tons of kudos for the thread, LaBlanca I am in the midst of my usual piles of prints and books so this post will be brief.

But I will be back

Notes from my sojourn yesterday, several hours after the Gates were unfurled.

12 February 2005 - 4 PM - Great Lawn, New York City.

Just to remind you that The Gates, a project by Christo and his wife Jeanne-Claude is now open to the public throughout Central Park, New York City. It will be there for the next 15 days or, until 28 February.

After spending an entire afternoon there, I have to say the project has managed to make me less of a cynic. Although I do wish thinner fabric had been chosen so that the drapes would "billow" a little more in the wind. Then again, it is the Manhattanite art historian at work in me.

Swatches of the fabric were given to us by C/J workers.

Amid the sea of orange, a homeless man gazed up at all the fashionable New Yorkers clad in black.

Christo and Jeanne-Claude have been working to get The Gates off the ground since 1979. Three cheers for hard work that paid off!

http://christojeanneclaude.net/tg.html

If you're in NYC, do go
no problem Bonita. just came over the pics this morning and i thought a thread of it would be great. Great that youve been there, I really liked the pics and wish i was there to see in reality.

Quote:
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old February 15th, 2005, 14:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

i think it looks so similar to the scetches. Only can tell that from the pics ive seen though...

Quote:
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old February 15th, 2005, 15:21
XT Consultants
International

Whatever people may say about Christo, he's still a world class draftsman :thmbup:

When C&J-C planned the project and first presented it to the Parks Dept. in NYC in 1981 [it was rejected then and again during the Guiliani administration], Central Park was a sad piece of wasteland. The Gates imo were to reflect that.

Now 20+ years later, Central Park - at least the section where rich people live nearby and tourists roam - has been transformed into a clean, cute little lawn. Seeing the Gates have made me consider everything, the park, its changes, and the ever present tide that divides the haves and haves not in New York.

Christo said on opening day [12 February 2005] that the morals of The Gates are whatever you see when you walk under them. That's one of the things I saw.

And I plan to see more

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2005, 01:54
Rising Star

Teams: Sampdoria
What does it sound like when you walk through it? Do the sounds of the gates flapping overpower everything else? Or is it tranquil?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2005, 02:41
XT Consultants
International

No flapping sound, SAMPDORIA. Just the sound of the city: cell phone muzak, dog barking, car alarms and over-educated passersby trying to impress each other.

But the drapes WILL flap. Strong wind is expected this weekend.

It's also interesting that when Christo completed the sketches, he drew the drapes flowing or tilting in the same direction. That is often true for an environment with more open space and his earlier project, the Running Fence in northern California proved that point.

But the situation is somewhat different in New York. The drapes move but NOT all in the same direction as expected. I was standing near the south western part of the park on Saturday and saw a series of 6 or 7 gates with drapes moving in all different directions. Ha! They were like New Yorkers whom you can take near the water, but noone can force us to drink!

One other reason for the drapery to misbehave is perhaps the thickness of the fabric which lacks the billowy feel of a thinner cloth. Another is the density of buildings nearby causing air to be "trapped."

I will explore the northern part of the park when I finish my work. the space is more open up there. We'll see.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2005, 02:51
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Christos is still around??

that old koot I remember back in school how he did something similar with small islands and there were a few other project that always made me chuckle
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2005, 03:15
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
i don't get the big deal about it but its bringing money to the city. I'm not really into art so I don't find this spectacular at all
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2005, 05:20
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
i don't get the big deal about it but its bringing money to the city. I'm not really into art so I don't find this spectacular at all

I was impressed with some of his earlier works, but if you look at the map and think of it on a grander scale, it's kinds cool.

but art is in the eye.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2005, 22:18
XT Consultants
International

Here's a <quazi> review:

Young Critics See 'The Gates' and Offer Their Reviews: Mixed

By Julie Salamon

Published: February 17, 2005 - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Photo: Ruby Washington/The New York Times - A student records impressions of "The Gates."

Yesterday morning, unusually balmy for February, the gentle slopes north of the Delacorte Theater in Central Park resembled a giant schoolyard. Swarms of students were led to "The Gates" by their teachers, to observe, to draw, to meditate - and in many cases to pontificate - on the meaning of art and nature.

For Kate Rosenberg, 9, a third-grade student at Rodeph Sholom, a private school on the Upper West Side, the saffron-colored gates dreamed up by the artist Christo and his wife, Jeanne-Claude, have altered her vision of Central Park. "Before I didn't really look at the park," she said. "I didn't see how beautiful it is.

"These gates, and there are billions of them, make me feel I will not look at the park the same way again."

There are actually 7,532 gates spread along 23 miles of the park's pathways - not quite billions, but more than enough to loom large in a child's imagination. And in the opinion of some children, far too many. Perhaps especially in New York, it is never too soon to become a critic. Many youngsters wondered if this was art at all, and if it was, did it have to cost $21 million?

"They just wasted their money on nothing," declared Ikim Powell, 10, who attends P.S. 368 in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn. "They should at least have paintings behind them."

His classmate, Tyre Brooks, felt "The Gates" was an unnecessary artificial imposition on the park's natural beauty. "Now it looks like a stage, like on wrestling," he said. "I just want to ride my bike and play. I'd like to come back to the park when the flags aren't here. They look cheap."

But another student from P.S. 368, Tyquam Nimmons, on his first visit to Central Park, disagreed. "It is artistic," he said. "There are a lot of them all around, and they're the same color and they give me a good feeling." He was about to elaborate but instead ran off to catch a football being tossed around by a group from his school.

Martha Epstein, a Rodeph Sholom third-grader, sitting with her classmates on a hill made of boulders, had just finished a sketch of one of the gates. "This is about my millionth time seeing 'The Gates,' " she sighed. She said she was not much impressed on her first visit last weekend with her family, right after the 116,389 miles of saffron fabric were unfurled. "It was really crowded and I didn't like the orange," she said. "I wished it was green, a park color."

Subsequent visits have somewhat altered her view. "I don't like the look of them but I like the way everybody is at the park and happy," she said.

Lucinda Gresswell brought her two children to New York from London for their midterm break, in part because the Christo gates would be up. In the 1970's, Ms. Gresswell's father had bought a Christo drawing of either a pyramid or a sphinx, she could not remember which. So two weeks ago she booked a flight.

Her 11-year-old son, Samuel Glanville, had no doubt that the gates were art. "Art is Fauvism, Pointillism, abstract," he said, looking at rows of pleated nylon fabric floating slightly at the whiff of a breeze. "This is Christo - is that his name, I forget? - this is his art, his own interpretation."

Samuel liked knowing that "The Gates" would be on view for only two weeks. "Like all art, if it's always there it doesn't feel so special," he said, with the savvy of a shrewd museum director. "It's like a special Matisse show at a museum. You feel lucky if you get to see it."

For his 9-year-old sister, Bella, on her first visit to New York, confronting "The Gates" was another in a series of crucial discoveries: the brilliant lights of Times Square, and Century 21, the bargain store near ground zero, where Bella acquired the very cool shirt she was wearing.

She was not as certain as her brother of the artistic merit of the gates. "Well, yeah," she said, when asked if they were art. Then, she amended. "Not so much," she said. "They're kind of like flags. I prefer messy art, like blobs."

But she was happy that Christo's project helped lure her family to Central Park, where she and Samuel worked up a healthy glow climbing on the rocks. "It wouldn't be too ordinary even without the flags," she said. "Most parks have grass and trees, not rocks. In England, unless it's a heath, you wouldn't have big rocks and stones."

Sean Springer, a student from the Rhode Island School of Design on leave to work as a volunteer for "The Gates," said he had learned from the school groups wandering through. "There was an English class writing about their feelings, and I was wondering about the connections between literature and this work," he said. "My opinion is the art makes a poetic statement, and they said art is a form of poetry."

Mr. Springer helped install "The Gates," will help take it down, and stands at the ready to untangle fabric with a pole capped by a tennis ball. He also answers questions and hands out swatches of the nylon saffron fabric to passers-by. "That's one thing that's the same for kids and adults," he said. "If they know about the swatches, they want them."

:thmbup: Nothing's better than the words from the mouths of babes.

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2005, 04:17
I Need More Cowbell!
International

The Gates look awful! Central Park is beautiful as it is. There's no need to put these things that look like road construction signs to make the park stand out.

It is nice to see that NYC's mayor (Bloomberg?) is into art and all that shananegance but this simply is an eye-sore. Not to mention the arm and a leg they're charging to fly over it.

A few years back (during winter time) some due put up silver trees. Those looked good, but please, somebody 'shut' these gates!

Hurrah for Paquador!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2005, 04:48
Rising Star

Teams: Sampdoria
Quote:
"They just wasted their money on nothing," declared Ikim Powell, 10, who attends P.S. 368 in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn. "They should at least have paintings behind them."
His opinion is based on personal taste, nothing more.

Quote:
His classmate, Tyre Brooks, felt "The Gates" was an unnecessary artificial imposition on the park's natural beauty. "Now it looks like a stage, like on wrestling," he said. "I just want to ride my bike and play. I'd like to come back to the park when the flags aren't here. They look cheap."
Only going to be there for 2 weeks spastic!

Quote:
Subsequent visits have somewhat altered her view. "I don't like the look of them but I like the way everybody is at the park and happy," she said.
This sort of thing is what the artwork would be trying to aim for, people interacting in different ways, bringing them together and creating a space which challenges those who view it.

Quote:
She was not as certain as her brother of the artistic merit of the gates. "Well, yeah," she said, when asked if they were art. Then, she amended. "Not so much," she said. "They're kind of like flags. I prefer messy art, like blobs."
What you like is art, what you dont is not art. I hate that attitude!

Quote:
:thmbup: Nothing's better than the words from the mouths of babes.
...do you mean bella?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2005, 21:54
XT Consultants
International

The mouths of babes refer to ALL the children's voices, not only Bella's.

The Gates, in my opinion, have done their duties: 1) They made cynical New Yorkers finally stop and see a beautiful park rather than yet more obstacles on their paths to money. 2) The project lasts only 16 days and will be gone forever. 3) No one is paying for this installation (as compared to some other events in which taxpayers were robbed billions of dollars to support some senseless wars. I am happy with The Gates in my own "backyard." You?

I think Christo and Jeanne-Claude are extremely happy. They should be proud of themselves! :thmbup: After all, they aim for a discourse and here we have it.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2005, 02:10
XT Consultants
International

NYC : Monday 28 February, 2005 : Blizzard

Sunday 27 February was the last day of The Gates.

Monday 28 February: As monster snow flakes groomed us New Yorkers for another bad hair day, 300 workers began dismantling Christo & Jeanne-Claude's latest project in Central Park.

The New York Times reports: "The dismantling of the 7,500 'Gates' in Central Park begins today. Taking them down will be easier than the installation because there will not be any need to be careful. The 5,290 tons of steel will be melted down and recycled - The aluminum is going to become cans of soda and the fabric will be shredded and turned into carpet padding. Then all that will be left of 'The Gates' will be the memories ... "

For Christo & Jeanne-Claude fans, next project: the Colorado River.

For the nay sayers, you can relax now. It is all over.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2005, 15:11
Rising Star

Teams: Barįa / Rangers / Napoli
Nice thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonita

Her 11-year-old son, Samuel Glanville, had no doubt that the gates were art. "Art is Fauvism, Pointillism, abstract," he said, looking at rows of pleated nylon fabric floating slightly at the whiff of a breeze.

I wonder if that is really the words of an 11 year old?

What is happening to the cloth and fabric now that it has been taken down?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in