LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old January 27th, 2005, 15:42 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
RIP Philip Johnson

Inspirational US architect dies

One of the best-known architects in the United States, Philip Johnson, has died at the age of 98. Johnson designed in a range of styles during his long career, but was best-known for his use of glass. Johnson was often described as the dean of US architects.

His buildings include a glass cube in the woods of Connecticut - where he lived and died - and a greenhouse-style cathedral in Los Angeles.

Architect Daniel Libeskind said Johnson "defined the art and practice of architecture in the 20th century".

Source and continuation of BBC article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4211111.stm

Although I found his work unsettling, nevertheless - goodbye to a man who lived to a ripe old age.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2005, 01:14
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
Ach, never liked anything he did. The one building he has here in SF (was the AT&T but God knows what it is for now) was oppressive in an Albert-Speer-wet dream sort of way. The faceless caryatids atop the tower were a naked crib from the Palace of Fine Arts (like many people of his artsitic bent, the man cribbed a whole lot...sort of admitting to it, doesn't make it any less hack-tacular) and the atrium is one of those "You vill enjoy the art--ENJOY THE ART!--and keep on walking or ve vill haf to look at your papiers" 80s monstrosities. But, the old man did live long enough to get sucked up to by many people who should have known better, so more power to the bastard--he lived long enough to become an institution and bring neofascist architecture back in vogue in a new and 'pleasing to the eye guise' (no torchlight rallies, just Architectural Digest kissing his withered ass). Now, I suppose he will atone in a lake of fire for the many ugly ass buildings he designed. That is, if there is a hell for architects, which I doubt.

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2005, 15:59 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
New York University's Bobst Library -- what a peculiar name but of course it is named after the millionaire Bobst -- is a good sample of the duende of Johnson's work: it recorded the highest rate of student suicides on campus by throwing themselves off the top floor

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in