The First Painting You Ever Did - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 03:53 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Sampdoria
The First Painting You Ever Did

I suppose poeple can post their first painting they did here. Even really old spiderman or Ninja Turtles painting when you were a kid.

Here is mine, but i didnt really keep any of my old stuff i did in primary school, i was too cool to accept it when the teacher gave it out, i regret it now though. I painted this one in 2001 so i would be 16. Nothing special and there are many problems with it but it was my first attempt at oil paints. Being new to oil paint i had a limited amount of brushes as well and there are countless amount of layers on it because it was like a big experiment really. I tried all types of different styles and techniques, and i feel that this was the best i could produce under the circumstances because being an experiment the paint was too think to continue really. But i learnt many things from this painting and it means a lot to me and i wouldnt sell it for anything, not that anyone would really want it. Its 1.15 m x 1.73 m, so its pretty big, probably a mistake being my first. But its of a place in Western Australia.

SONO BELLO...SONO SANO...MIA MAMMA MI HA FATTO DORIANO!!!

Last edited by SAMPDORIA; January 8th, 2005 at 16:46.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 03:56
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

very nice, your a realist.

"To go down as the greatest, it will take lots of work but that is my target. If you go down as the greatest at Madrid it means you are one of the greatest of all time."

CRISTIANO RONALDO
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 04:03 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che
very nice, your a realist.
Nah, i have my own style now, im not a realist, this painting was forced this way, its the final outcome of countless attempts at impressionism. I have always tried to replicate the style of impressionism, but its very difficult for me as i have never got any art lesson in my life. But my attempst at impressionism have led me to create my own style, which i am currently and finally developing. I have too much respect for William Delafield Cook to be considered a realist. This is my only painting like this.

Last edited by SAMPDORIA; December 29th, 2004 at 04:11.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 12:03
Xtratime Allstar
World Class Player

Teams: Gli Azzurri and AC Milan.
Very impressive I must say

"I think my greatest ambition in life is to pass on to others what I know"

"May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine"

"The best revenge is massive success"

Frank Sinatra

"There are as many opinions as there are experts"

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 16:24 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolga
If this is a piece that you consider as 'nothing special', I'd love to see something you do consider special!

Well it has no meaning, it was a very big experiment. And its been nearly 4 years since so I have learnt a lot. If you saw how thick the paint is you would understand. I consider it a painting which tells me what to do and what not to do, its very important to me i have learnt many things from it, especially patience, although XT portrays a different story.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 16:35 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolga
I don't know the least bit about the Arts to be honest, but I am really impressed when I see such paintings..
much appreciated, but i am too humble to agree (excluding the whole assumtion speculation thing )

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 16:49
International

Teams: RANGERS FC
nice painting

do you have any pictures of your more recent work?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 17:00 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Bear
nice painting

do you have any pictures of your more recent work?
well in 4 years i have only really done 6 finished paintings. Many I disgarded but I have 2 on the way that im doing now cause its holidays. And i might take a photo of them. I should have another photo of one in my comp so i will check. I have only just started to work out my own syle and technique and they are the 2 im doing now, and by next week one should be finshed. The other is almost done as well. But ofcourse this is not my display thread, im hoping other will show their own, just for fun really.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 17:10 Thread Starter
Premier Player

yeh its not recent, in 2 weeks i should have them up

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 22:19
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Hat's off, Sampdoria. For a [then] 16-year-old's first attempt at oil painting, you have outdone yourself. If nothing else, maneuvering the large surface is an honorable mention.

I can see that you were trying to include every style and tonal density you have seen elsewhere in this painting and [when it was completed] were having tremendous fun, no? What I'm interested in seeing now are your subsequent work. Also any intermediate drawings, sketches, preparatory compositions - be they in oil paint, graphite, pastels, watercolors, pen and ink or other media. I hope you haven't thrown them all out because the real treasures at an artist's studio are not the finished products but his interim drawings.

Oh and yes, just curious - care to tell us where are the "problem areas" in your first painting? And do you have any favourite artists?

Good luck to you, I'll be keeping a keen eye for more images.

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogŕver
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2004, 02:46 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonita
If nothing else, maneuvering the large surface is an honorable mention.
I cannot explain the fustration I got when I started of on such a big surface, that was a huge mistake. It was very fustrating .

Quote:
[when it was completed] were having tremendous fun, no?
Unfortunately I was never happy with it, it drained all the fun out of me and i had more of a hatred for it, but i was rewarded when i took it to school . That was when i was having the fun! Even 2 weeks ago i was rewarded with....

Quote:
What I'm interested in seeing now are your subsequent work. Also any intermediate drawings, sketches, preparatory compositions - be they in oil paint, graphite, pastels, watercolors, pen and ink or other media.
I can post my sketches and anything like that, but Ive decided not to post my new stuff when its completed purely because I dont want people trying to copy the style and technique im trying to develope. Sure it might sound like im paranoid, but im being tought as a designer and I just cant really.

Quote:
I hope you haven't thrown them all out because the real treasures at an artist's studio are not the finished products but his interim drawings.
Nah I have those, its the primary school drawing I didnt keep.

Quote:
Oh and yes, just curious - care to tell us where are the "problem areas" in your first painting? And do you have any favourite artists?
Problems? well usually you only talk about the good things when you present, but as the painting is an experiment, i can say the bad things. I dont like the use of black, there is too much and its too heavy. The main problems are in the structures; there are not in proportion and true to the actual place and is the result of not precisely sketching the outline properly. So I was constantly changing the size and shape of the different objects in there. I suppose the worst problem is the thickness of the paint, it is really thick, something that you dont really do when you try to paint a naturalistic painting, even thought it wasnt my original intention. But the problem wasnt really that i was 16, but more because I had absolutely no idea of the process of painting in oil colours other than to start with the darker colours first. And all of the other layers and styles also have their problems of their own.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2004, 16:43
Premier Player

Teams: AC MILAN
I'm so proud of you, Samp
bello, sano e dotato
now I am sure it runs in the family
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2004, 17:22 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by luba
I'm so proud of you, Samp
bello, sano e dotato
now I am sure it runs in the family

your too nice, in return i'm willing to paint a nude of you. :smileani:....just joking ofcourse.

Last edited by SAMPDORIA; January 8th, 2005 at 16:47.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in