Dadaist, Surrealist: the Irrational and the dream - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 01:31 Thread Starter
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

TEST / Dadaist, Surrealist: the Irrational and the dream

The surrealist movement was anticipated by ab earlier proto-surrealist group called by the nonsense term Dada.

This was a movement towards anything pompus, conventional in society & the arts. From Art ,Music, drama and poetry the dadaist attacked with satire.

Men like Jean Arp, Hugo Ball and tristan Tzara who were deeply influenced by the works of marcel Duchamp.

I thought that this would be a chance for us to talk about this movement with painting from Dali and the others and see the effects and influence this movement had on 20th century art.

"To go down as the greatest, it will take lots of work but that is my target. If you go down as the greatest at Madrid it means you are one of the greatest of all time."

CRISTIANO RONALDO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 01:42 Thread Starter
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Marcel Duchamp

bicycle Wheel

"To go down as the greatest, it will take lots of work but that is my target. If you go down as the greatest at Madrid it means you are one of the greatest of all time."

CRISTIANO RONALDO
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 01:51 Thread Starter
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Francis Picabia

Star Dancer on a Transatlantic Cruise
1913 Watercolor on paper

CRISTIANO RONALDO

Last edited by Che; December 29th, 2004 at 02:28.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 03:45 Thread Starter
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Rene Margritte

La magie noire

CRISTIANO RONALDO
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 11:01
Xtratime Allstar
World Class Player

Teams: Gli Azzurri and AC Milan.
One of my favorite painters is Salvador Dalí. I was lucky to see some of his work while in Barcelona. I've always been fascinated by this one. It's just so odd, and mysterious. Many of his paintings were odd actually, a true father of Surrealism

"I think my greatest ambition in life is to pass on to others what I know"

"May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine"

"The best revenge is massive success"

Frank Sinatra

"There are as many opinions as there are experts"

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2004, 23:42 Thread Starter
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Joan Miro

Senza Titolo

CRISTIANO RONALDO
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2004, 23:50 Thread Starter
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Joan Miro

The Port

CRISTIANO RONALDO
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2004, 00:16
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Futbol Club Barcelona
Joan Mirķ - Retrato

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2004, 00:19
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Futbol Club Barcelona
Che, I'm sure that you would love this museum. It's nice to see that we've had recovered some the works of our greatest artists of the 20th century. Franco was a cancer for everything... how many things we missed for 40 years

http://www.spanisharts.com/reinasofia/reinasofia.htm
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old December 31st, 2004, 17:30 Thread Starter
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I was introduced to Miro was I was just a lad of 19, I was living in Hawaii and they had a traveling show, it blew me away the paintings of his bio-morphic figures
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2005, 17:08 Thread Starter
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

duchamp

"I am still a victim of chess. It has all the beauty of art -- and much more. It cannot be commercialized. Chess is much purer than art in its social position." Marcel Duchamp

Last edited by Che; January 1st, 2005 at 17:39.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2005, 19:16
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Rossoneri, Hammers
If you are ever in St. Petersburg Florida, there, of all places, is the Salvador Dali Museum. It seems that some art loving millionaire and his wife bought a large percentage of Dali's work and retired to South Florida. They then endowed a museum there, between the Dale Mabry Ave. Winn-Dixie and the Mons Veneris Strip Emporium (I am not kidding, it is equidistant between those two landmarks). It is a really cool place, and well worth a look after seeing 'Gator Rassling Cracker Style' and the Life of Christ Wax Museum at Sunken Gardens.

You know the scene it's very hum-drum
And my favorite song's entitled "Boredom"...
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old January 1st, 2005, 22:39
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Cool place indeed Heather

On Duchamp. [again] He lived for many years towards the end of his life in a fifth floor walk-up on West 14th Street between Ninth and Tenth Avenues in New York City; quite near the Church of Our Lady Guadalupe. Every afternoon he would take a walk down to the Marshall Chess Club in the Village and stayed there up quite late. Although there was another chess club down the street on West 14th but for some reasons, Duchamp never set foot in it.

Now.

Max Ernst. And his surrealist novel made of collages, Une Semaine De Bonté.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2005, 06:18 Thread Starter
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

duchamp

"L.H.O.O.Q.", 1919

I know the initials are suppose to be a french joke...

can anyone translate
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2005, 16:46
XT Consultants
International

The initials, when pronounced, yield the phrase "elle a chaud au cul," babelfish it, Che

Duchamp's other puns include the "Portrait of Rose Selavy" and "My niece is cold because my knee is cold."
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2005, 16:57 Thread Starter
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

thanks LOL!
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2005, 02:18 Thread Starter
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonita
Cool place indeed Heather

On Duchamp. [again] He lived for many years towards the end of his life in a fifth floor walk-up on West 14th Street between Ninth and Tenth Avenues in New York City; quite near the Church of Our Lady Guadalupe. Every afternoon he would take a walk down to the Marshall Chess Club in the Village and stayed there up quite late. Although there was another chess club down the street on West 14th but for some reasons, Duchamp never set foot in it.

Now.

Max Ernst. And his surrealist novel made of collages, Une Semaine De Bonté.

Did you ever see the documentary where John Cage plays Duchamp in a game of chess?

The chess board would eminate sound as pieces on the board were moved.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2005, 20:08
Legend

Teams: Cementarnica 55 Skopje
Surrealismus

It's my favortie style in art. Most known artists are Salvador Dali (who was hovever surrealist only few years), Max Ernst, Andre Breton (he wasn't plastic, but the leader of Surrealists), Andre Masson, Francis Picabia (ex-dadaist), Arschile Gorky, Dado, Victor Brauner (fantastic ezoterics paintings), Paul Delvaux and Yves Tanguy.
Surrealists wanted (like dadaists) to "destroy the art and religion". heir leader Andre Breton and thaeir periodics made many scandals. They didn't suppose that their paintings will be great treasures on art ...
Very interestings was titles of their paintings. For examlpe painting "Saint over saints" by Francis Picabia showed horn (!!!) and many of Tanguy's pictures has concrete titles and showes mysterius, unnatural landscapes.

Cementarnica in Vtora Liga 2009/2010
Cementarnica - Miravci 2:0 (Kostadinovski 40'-pen. Naumcevski 43')
Belasica - Cementarnica 1:2 (Markov 24' - Donev 9'-og Trajkovski 47')
Cementarnica - 11 Oktomvri 2:1 (Jakovlevski 15' 77' - Kostadinovski 26'-og)
Cementarnica - Belasica 4:1 (Braga 23' 38' Ristovski 43' Kostadinovski 63' - Jurcevski 88')
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2005, 01:01
XT Consultants
International

Welcome to the World of Art Forum, Poland-Cement

Please fill us in on all aspects of this most unusual group of the 1920's, I am never tired of Surrealist stories.

For your information, Che has already started a thread entitled The Irrational & The Dream : Dada, Surrealist Art, you may wish to check out the images over there.

A short cut to Che's DaDa and Surrealist thread is through the OUR MUSEUM sticky which serves as a directory to every [well, almost!] thread in this forum.

Enjoy!

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogāver
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2005, 10:21
Legend

Teams: Cementarnica 55 Skopje
Surrealismus is my favorite style in the plastic arts.
Of course, most known artists are Magritte, Dali (he is well known as a Surrealist, hovever he was in this group only few years), Ernst, Breton (ideologist and leader), Masson, Picabia, Gorky, Miro and Bellmer.

Renne Magritte is well known cuz of the titles of his paintings and the unnatural ladscapes (like Yves Tanguy). His paintings like "Unstopping moving", "Dreamings of alone man" or "Therapeutist" ae showing his play with the spectator - absurdal thinks wich break logic, hovever we must try to understand them. No doubt that the tragic death of Magritte's mother had a great influence on his art.

Hans Bellmer made many sculptures known as "Dolls". They show tragic unshape of women's body. Bellmer was making also graphics. Many critics are thinking, that his graphics have something to do with ideas of Freud.

Salvador Dali - the greatest genius in the modern art I think. He was a member of surrealists only for some years, he was thrown out from the group by the leader Andre Breton. Motifs like drawers or "soft clocks" are now symbols of surrealismus, hovever many of paintings and sculptures with this motives was made by him when he wasn't surrealist yet. His wife Gala had great influence on his pictures. He showed her in many of them.
His most known pictures are "Sculpture of the night", "Sad play", "Dream" "Great masturbator" and "Burning giraffe". His scupltures are also well known - "Cosmic elephant" or "Venus-giraffe".

Dado (his real name Mijodrag Djuric) was born in 1933 in Serbia. He painted in Paris where he joind to group of Surrealists. His pictures are showing tragic fight betwen horrible monsters. His most shoking pictures are "Bad student from Vesal II" and "Litle planty police". He is also one of my favorite surrealists.

Pictures of Andree Mason are very mysteriuos. Dadaists wanted him to join them, but he didn't agree. In 1923 he joind to surrealists. Firs his pictures was quite realist, but he found a method tyo make pictures from oil and sand. There's many sharp colorus in his pictures, and they are showing somethin unnatural or death, many dath - in the paintings "Blood of birds" or "Dead horses". He painted also "parocsis" pictures like "Trap for sun". His late pictures are near to abstract art.

Well, I'm lazy today. I'l end this later.

Cementarnica in Vtora Liga 2009/2010
Cementarnica - Miravci 2:0 (Kostadinovski 40'-pen. Naumcevski 43')
Belasica - Cementarnica 1:2 (Markov 24' - Donev 9'-og Trajkovski 47')
Cementarnica - 11 Oktomvri 2:1 (Jakovlevski 15' 77' - Kostadinovski 26'-og)
Cementarnica - Belasica 4:1 (Braga 23' 38' Ristovski 43' Kostadinovski 63' - Jurcevski 88')

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in