UEFA Champions League 16/17 - Xtratime Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By zoric

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2016, 21:43 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
UEFA Champions League 16/17

No thread yet, no activity either, but no reason not to try to get something going.

Since my teams aren't playing in CL (ever), as usual I have adopted Atletico as my side. The working man's team, the fighters, Diego's pitbulls.

Great win tonight. Let's hear your analysis, Zoki.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2016, 22:20
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Another reminder tonight how great this team is. Calderon's atmosphere, El Cholo animated on the sidelines, the never-say-die attitude on the pitch.

Quite an open game. I anticipated a more cagey affair, something like a 0-0, but surprising there was not more than one scored. Atleti the superior side and deserved winners. Carrasco's goal one of the nicest this matchday. His style of play is very aesthetically pleasing to watch.

But my favourite of their players is still Gabi. As Krle says, the working man's team and Gabi is the everyman. Understated quality and personifies the Atleti spirit.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2016, 12:51
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Good performance that reminded me a bit about the Juventus-game at Juventus Stadium two years ago. The difference being that Atleti were a lot better in transition.

Some important tactical segments used by Simeone and the coaching staff, especially when using Torres to mark Xabi Alonso (a tactic used vs. Juventus only with Mandžukić marking Pirlo) and an additional part where Griezmann marked Vidal when Bayern built their attacks from the back. There was also plenty of variety in the pressing game: sometimes higher up the pitch (man to man with good compression of the pitch), sometimes forcing their CB's to the fullback positions and other times just blocking their options to put the ball between Atlético's first pressing line to Thiago, Vidal or even Müller who lurked between the second line of defence.

Bayern created 3-4 really good chances where they could've scored but they were off in terms of efficiency in front of goal. They had a few really interesting alternatives when attacking down the wings, mainly with the lobs by Alaba over the two defenders (often Juanfran and Saúl) to players who were standing just behind. It almost ended in a goal for Ribéry.

What's certain is that Bayern didn't have nearly as many options and especially alternatives yesterday compared to the semfinal games five months ago. It was a lot harder with Guardiola in charge as they could change shape, form and movement patterns every ten minutes. Atleti learned quite a lot from that double header and it was clear that this game was a lot different in that segment.

Atlético's central line played a fantastic game: Savić is growing into an incredible CB (he already is the second best defender on the team by quite a distance) and he's partnering Godín perfectly. They lost two duels to Lewandowski during the whole of last night. Gabi's ability to read the game is on Tiago's level at the moment but his timing when it comes to intercepting and breaking up play is just as important. I don't think we'll see Koke on the wing after Bayern and FCB, maybe when we really need to eliminate a good attacking pair but I doubt it. Simeone's been preparing him for to play centrally for 2-3 years now. The last week is the culmination of that. Atleti's fortunate to have two canteranos of that level in their starting eleven. Saúl's next but that'll take a bit more work obviously. Filipe Luís is on another level compared to many other so called world class fullbacks.

If Carrasco and Saúl would be a bit better in terms of decision making with the ball, they'd take another step in the right direction. It'll come though as long as they continue to work on their defects.

Well done to Torres as well. Tremendous work ethic as usual.

Grizi deserves a mention too. He wouldn't have to do what he does at Atleti if he played at another club but that desire to learn and improve is an example for every kid out there. That'll end in something fantastic one day but one game at a time. Simeone's short speech before doing his press conference tells it all. He almost sounded emotional, probably felt a bit of guilt for his reaction post Milan.

..but Bayern will be better as time goes by so one step at a time. Nothing is won in September.
Jeffrey likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrix
zoric man, do you have like 5 screens in your room streaming 7 channels while simultaneously following 10 livescore websites?

p
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoRiS_ThE_BuLLetDoDgeR View Post
ZORIC!!!

Feeling depressed about Kosovo? We still have ZORIC!!!

When someone asks for the most famous Serbian exports, you answer "Slivovica, Tesla i ZORIC!!!"

Last edited by zoric; September 29th, 2016 at 13:02.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in