Albanians in Greece - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 00:55 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Albanians in Greece

I made a Thread about a very interesting Topic. In the last days I've found out some Albanians in Greece, with interesting Stories. It's not just about the Footballers, there are other Celebrities in Greece with interesting albanian Story. As an Albanian from Macedonia with no relations to any Albanian who lives in Greece, i think i can find out more with your helps, especially from our Brothers in Republik Albania.

So, we all know the Stories about Panajot Kone, Sotiris Ninis, Tatos, Kapinos ect.
The Question is always; Are they Albanians or Greeks from Albania? Or are they Albanian who have to deny their Albanian Roots?
I'm asking, because i found a very interesting Story about a Singer in Greece. She's albanian but always hide her heritage. Here a Wiki-Article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleni_Foureira

Eleni Foureira (Greek: Ελένη Φουρέιρα, born Entela Fureraj on 7 March 1987 in Fier) is a Greek pop singer and fashion designer of Albanian descent.[1][2]

Personal life[edit]
Albanian origin controversy[edit]
Foureira's origin and heritage has been a subject of much speculation. When she was a member of "Mystique" she was thought to be Brazilian.[11] Through her early interviews after deciding to follow a solo career, Foureira used to state that: "My father comes from Athens and my mother from Ioannina. I was born and raised in Athens but since my surname is not Greek, I am usually asked about my origin. My surname and my family's origin is from Mexico. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and that's fair enough. Right now I'm living my dream and I don't want to deal with anything else".[12][13] Although claiming that she comes from Greece, it was announced that in 2010 Foureira had filed papers in order to obtain Greek citizenship which caused suspicion among Greek journalists.[14] It was later revealed that her origin is not from Mexico but from Albania and her real name is Entela Fourerai.[15][16] Foureira stated in another interview in 2010 that "My surname is Mexican. I have never said that I come from that country. My father has roots from there."[17] In a 2011 interview for the Greek magazine NITRO, she stated that: "I'm not from Mexico or anything else. I'm from Athens. If my name was Eleni Papadopoulou there wouldn't be a problem. Can we please not talk about that at all?"[18] On December 31, 2013 in an interview for "To Proino" in ANT1 she stated: "Many times I have been prevented from doing many things because of my origin. It's wrong the fact that I come from a different country to be considered a drawback. I don't get it. There has been a huge talk about that and I'm not going to apologize. I grew up here. I can't speak a different language. Who cares where I come from. I'm just doing my job".[19] In an interview she said: “They judge someone from his sexual or ethnic orientation and not from his work. I hid I was born in Albania because when I went to record labels, before I entered Mystique Group, they didn’t even wanna hear it. It was a taboo for them […] I didn’t understand back then when I was a little girl because I felt Greek. I don’t know another language, I was educated here. This is why I told myself, nothing will stop me from doing what I want and spread my message”.[20]

Despite the controversy, both her and her parents' names are Albanian. Foureira's name, Entela is an old Albanian name, with her parents' names being Kristaq (an Albanian name originating in Southern Albania) and Marjeta (meaning "good life" ("Mbarė jeta") in the Albanian language).[21]

That is really interesting. She's afraid to say that she's albanian, because she's scared the Greek won't like her anymore. So when a talenteted Singer has to deny that she's albanian, what about the Footballers? Can we really compare Kone to Shaqiri and co.? Are they really such big traitors like we call them? For me, it looks like there is a really big Racism in Greece against Albanian(which complains why they are hiding their Heritage) so they are scared to talk about it or even say that they are albanian.

I've found another Musician in Greece, with albanian heritage. Claydee (Klajdi Lupa) is a big deal in Greece and Europe. He's proud of his albanian Origin and was even on albanian TV. I found out that he's working often with Albanians for example with Eleni but also with another from Albania. Later to him, back to Football.

I've just found a very interesting Picture of Panajot Kone.

(Sorry Kone, for getting Raped by Greek Media when Panorama Sport will publish this Picture)
I think we can be sure about that, that Kone is albanian. What about Kapino and Co.?
I watched one time Procesi Sportive, where they were talking about Dardan Maksutaj, who said that Young Boys kicked him out of the team because he choose Albania and not Switzerland. Same thing told from Astrit Kabashi with FC Basel. Redi Jupi said, that those Stories are not true because Swiss Teams don't give a shit which Countries the Kids chose, they just want that those Kids play for a Country to get a higher Market Value. Redi talked about that with the Sport Director from FC Basel. Then Jupi said, the only Country that makes pressure to Albanians NOT to chose albania is Greece.

Look at Kapino. He just can't look more albanian.

By the way, look at the Video Clip from Claydee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSRlSST8wbI
On 0:32 and 0:40 you can see another "Greek" Footballer.

So my Discusting Point is; Are they Traitors or it is normal that Albanian in Greece are so scared about Racism and Discriminism?

there is a german-greek Film about an Albanian who didn't know that he's albanian until his Mother started to talk in albanian after she gets sick. The funny thing is that before he knew that he's albania, he hated albanian. Here is the german Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIJuXODkw2w

edit. found the Greek Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUG76TmDoas

Another Story is Turkey, where albanian are assimilated and don't even know to speak albanian, but they know their Heritage. Semih Kaya, Semih Sentürk and Erkan Kas. The last one has fotos with the Albanian Flag on his Twitter Account. Kas = Gashi. I bet there are even more.

Sorry for the english, i tried my best but i think you will understand my points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 01:30
Lab nga Tirona
Star Player

Teams: Albania & Partizani
Oh boy having had lots of family migrate to Greece in the early '90s I can write an essay on the topic. Things are not black and white and yes there is an undeniable fact that there is a lot of xenophobia in Greece towards Albanians. Racism is not the right term. It was advantageous to claim that you were ethnic Greek if you migrated there in the early 1990's, so a lot of people did that. I feel like things have changed dramatically in the past few years. Now that Greece is flooded with African and other "brown" immigrants I think Albanians are viewed more favorably due to their skin color and very similar traditions. Also being Albanian doesn't carry the same stigma it carried 20 years ago and you see kids becoming more aware of their national origin. for example those three kids doing the eagle sign in the Greece-Serbia game would have been unimaginable 20 years ago.

I have a cousin of mine who lived in Greece for 20 years and just won the green card lottery and moved to Brooklyn two months ago. He has two boys, 9 and 3 years old, and they both were born in Athens but speak fluent Albanian to my surprise.

Albanians still get discriminated but things have improved in the last two decades. Also there has been a major influx of Albanians out of Greece due to their economic crisis. Most of my family have come back to Albania now or are trying to come to the US or Canada.

And of course some of those that come back have a hard time adjusting and they get discriminated back home for speaking Albanian like a malaka. Such is life.

As for "Entela Foureira", I couldn't care less for that gypsy. I have known about her for about a decade now.
post #3 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 04:27
International

Great posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Punen e sotme mos e le per neser

Besart Berisha

post #4 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 04:53
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
Having lived in Greece for a long time (I'm not Greek ) - while growing up, unfortunately the term Albanian is used in a derogatory way. Anything bad that happens is blamed on Albanians...i.e. protect your stuff, lock your doors, careful which public area your car is parked, etc...because "an Albanian" might steal them.

Unfortunately I grew up with this notion, but thanks to having met actual Albanian friends, clearly...this was not the case. (The Greeks used to say the same about Turkey...like Istanbul smells so bad you can't walk there. Of course when you're seven years old, you will believe that )

Greeks have mixed feelings to be honest.

As mentioned in the post before me, it's more of Xenophobia than actual racism/superiority complex. I'm experiencing it in my own country (Lebanon) - with an influx of 2 million Syrians in a small country that can't even handle its own shit. Greece, altho 100 time larger than Lebanon - can probably handle immigrants capacity wise, but in terms of economic/financial capacity clearly, like Lebanon, they can barely handle their own people

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.
post #5 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 04:58
International

Teams: Algeria, Roma
There are a lot of Albanian criminals in Greece. I've known plenty. But that doesn't change the fact that their entire country is filled with dildo loving malakas who will soon be turned into a third world country.

They're also very very arrogant people. It's disgusting. Their women are nice can't blame them too much, but the men are very egoistic. A lot of young Greek people are coming to work in Albania during holiday periods, hopefully it continues in this fashion and we'll see the tables reversed a lot of years down the line.
post #6 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 05:06
Rising Star

Teams: Albanian NT & Dutch NT Shqipėri & Nederland
I ived in greece in the 90s as a kid, definitely a lot of racism but things arent as bad as they used to be. When i visited a couple of years ago albanians in greece were more patriotic than ever, it was rare to hear of an albo deniying their heritage and claimimg to be greek. That shit has gone out of style.

Albos over there are split 50/50. They either wanna go back to albania or migrate elsewhere, or have married a greek, had kids, or have become assimilated and their future is there now.
post #7 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 05:32
World Class Player

Teams: Republic of Albania NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizoid View Post
As mentioned in the post before me, it's more of Xenophobia than actual racism/superiority complex.

They definitely have a superiority complex and that's because in childhood they are fed with the notion that they the greatest people to walk on earth because of "their" history. If you went to a school there you'd know what I'm talking about.

To their credit I think that their mentality(arrogance/superiority complex) is one of the reasons why they won EURO 04 and general overachieve in things they have little to no talent on.

Going bankrupt was a bit of karma and made them more humble.
post #8 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 05:42
World Class Player

Teams: Republic of Albania NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballisti View Post

I've just found a very interesting Picture of Panajot Kone.

(Sorry Kone, for getting Raped by Greek Media when Panorama Sport will publish this Picture)

Where did you find that pic? He could get in serious trouble for that.

Maybe we should spread it around just for shits and giggles
post #9 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 06:04
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: PSV, Oranje, Macedonian NT
The Greek census recognises Albanians strangely enough but i think it only takes into account Albanian immigrants to Greece and not Albanians born in Greece as this linguistic minority map of Greece doesn't make much sense from an Albanian pov:

Slavic Speakers born in Greece are also denied much the same rights as Albanians are and are not accounted for in Census etc.
post #10 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 06:04
Premier Player

After Matic elbowed Kone he said something along the lines death to albania and that angered Kone apparently.

Owner you know what you have to do if you're reading this...
post #11 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 06:10
International

ermm. I dont think Kone is ethnically Albanian though. Kapino on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
The Greek census recognises Albanians strangely enough but i think it only takes into account Albanian immigrants to Greece and not Albanians born in Greece as this linguistic minority map of Greece doesn't make much sense from an Albanian pov:
Theres also the question of whether theyre immigrants or simply ethnic minorities. I have a feeling a lot of ethnic minorities who refused to declare themselves as Greek, might be considered immigrants.
post #12 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 06:17
Championship Player
Star Player

Teams: Leeds United, Albania NT
Ballisti, as you well know Albos are very reactive. In early 90s it was very common to hear horror stories of poor people crossing the border only to be sodomised to the lowest points of humanity by greek soldiers. Too many of these stories to mention here and frankly can't mention as it gets me boiling.
Greece can complain about criminality from albanians there but they never looked at the systematic demonising and regression by their state and society towards albanians. And it was open and clear. Forget that to this day no albanian schools are there despite the very large albanian community ( even without the latest immigration), forget the systematic religious profiling and bashing, forget about the fact that workers there were not even guaranteed to pick up their wages, they were left there in harms way as the Berisha state would never piss off Greece. Every time Albania would even stand up for a little integrity, the greeks would send back thousands (famous Operacioni Fshesa). I could be writing here for hours and still be nowhere close to telling even the smallest of wrongdoings.
Reality is simple. You only have to look at another country with almost an identical situation. Italy. Was there resentment? Yes, a natural one but never institutional! That is shown from since the Arberesh! Now Albos there are seen as part of their future. And they educated their people too in this regard. This is shown today on how their people see us by how common and normal mixing and migration is.
But now in Greece things are changing dramatically in regards to albanians and their ethnic pride. This is mainly due to greeks losing theirs after they became the joke of Europe.
Also the second generation there is not as mentally repressed as the 1st generation who went there in very difficult circumstances and where ethnic pride was the least of their priorities. The second generation in Greece weirdly enough are actually more patriotic than the second generation of Italy. And they hold the key to be fair. It's so much to talk about this I don't know how we can stop.

Njerėzit ndryshojnė nga njėri-tjetri nga koka, jo nga kėmbėt

Sami Frasheri
post #13 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 06:25
Championship Player
Star Player

Teams: Leeds United, Albania NT
And everyone. Gjergji Kone (Panajotis or whatever he calls himself these days) is fully albanian. Has 0 connection with Greece. He is from what is now " Don Bosko" in Tirane

Njerėzit ndryshojnė nga njėri-tjetri nga koka, jo nga kėmbėt

Sami Frasheri
post #14 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 06:31
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: PSV, Oranje, Macedonian NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownerofnoobs View Post
Theres also the question of whether theyre immigrants or simply ethnic minorities. I have a feeling a lot of ethnic minorities who refused to declare themselves as Greek, might be considered immigrants.
Simply put - you cannot trust the Greek census

The points you make are very valid

What confuses me is that there is no Albanian speaking community near the Albania-Greece border. I thought that's where the majority lived? I may be wrong here but it's just what i thought as the Slavic speakers of Greece live near the Macedonian and Bulgarian borders.

I know it's wishful thinking for countries in the Balkans to fully embrace or even give minorities close to full rights/autonomy but Greece imo is the worst state in this regard in the Balkans as it violates basic human rights etc. This has to change.
post #15 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 06:33
International

They're called Arvanites and are assimilated and consider themselves Greek. Some of them speak a bastardized form of Albanian.
post #16 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 12:28
World Class Player

Teams: Ac Milan , Albania, Italia,Croatia
You guys are mixing arvanitikies and the albanians living in Chameria and near the border. Arvanitikies used to live near athens and in their southern continental area including some central islands. The orthodox Cham Albanians who still live in northern greece are counted only as greeks. In their censuses there are 0 albanians living in greece while in just few documentaries made by Marim Mema (Persona non Grata in Greece) he showed that there are even areas lived only by albanians .
post #17 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 12:31
World Class Player

Teams: Ac Milan , Albania, Italia,Croatia
His first trip in 2011:

Then his friend's travelling in march 2014:

Last month documentary about the Albanian language in Chameria:

post #18 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 14:15
Rising Star

Teams: Albanian NT & Dutch NT Shqipėri & Nederland
I dont know why the fck owner keeps mentioning ethnic minorities when none of those guys besides pirro dhima are ethnic minorities. Kone and co are all albanian. Fcking teeangers speaking nonsense on topics they know nothing about.

10-20 yeard from now it will be hard for any greek to hate albania seeing as how many of them will be partially albanian. This is not the 18th century, they will see that denying your heritage like that farouri cvnt is something only losers do. They will have to catch up with the times.
post #19 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 14:40
Lab nga Tirona
Star Player

Teams: Albania & Partizani
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
Simply put - you cannot trust the Greek census

The points you make are very valid

What confuses me is that there is no Albanian speaking community near the Albania-Greece border. I thought that's where the majority lived? I may be wrong here but it's just what i thought as the Slavic speakers of Greece live near the Macedonian and Bulgarian borders.

I know it's wishful thinking for countries in the Balkans to fully embrace or even give minorities close to full rights/autonomy but Greece imo is the worst state in this regard in the Balkans as it violates basic human rights etc. This has to change.
The ethnic Albanian Cham community near the border of Albania and Greece was expelled to Albania after WWII by the Greeks. Those who remained in Greece, called Arvanites, did not live near the border but were concentrated in the Peloponnese region near Athens. They moved there during the 13th century after Stefan Dusan of Serbia overran the whole region.

At one point the Albanians were the majority or a very signigifcant minority in large parts of what today is modern Greece and the Greeks themselves lived in what today is present day Turkey. Once you become cognizant of this fact you can understand the xenophobic attitude of the Greeks towards Albanians. They will forever live in perpetual fear of us. It wasn't long ago when most of Greece was ruled by an Albanian pasha after all. And he was one ruthless son of a bitch.
post #20 of 156 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2014, 15:41
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkodra View Post
I dont know why the fck owner keeps mentioning ethnic minorities when none of those guys besides pirro dhima are ethnic minorities. Kone and co are all albanian. Fcking teeangers speaking nonsense on topics they know nothing about.
Kone has said multiple times his family is of ethnic Greek origin. I'd rather believe him even with the possibility of him lying, than some random people on an internet forum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in