LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 15:29 Thread Starter
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Boyo

What's going on with this?

THE HAGUE, Netherlands - A Somali-born lawmaker and fierce critic of radical Islam tearfully announced Tuesday that she is leaving the Netherlands, reportedly for the U.S., after the government threatened to revoke her citizenship for lying on her asylum application.

The threat to strip Ayaan Hirsi Ali of Dutch citizenship unleashed a fierce debate in parliament at a time of heightened anti-immigrant sentiment in the country.

Hirsi Ali, 36, has been under police guard since a short film she wrote criticizing the treatment of women under Islam provoked the murder of its director, Theo van Gogh, by an Islamic radical.

She said she decided Monday night to resign from parliament after Immigration Minister Rita Verdonk told her "she would strip me of my Dutch citizenship."

"I am therefore preparing to leave Holland," Hirsi Ali told reporters in The Hague, her voice choking with emotion.

She declined to say what she will do next, or to comment on Dutch media reports that she will join the American Enterprise Institute in the United States. A spokesman for the institute, Andrew Pappas, said Hirsi Ali was offered a position as a resident fellow at the conservative think tank but said he could not confirm that she had accepted. The U.S. Embassy in The Hague declined comment.

She declined to revoke Hirsi Ali's citizenship appeared driven by domestic Dutch politics — and drew criticism from Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende, who said he was "surprised by the speed" with which Verdonk acted and asked her for an explanation.

He said Verdonk bore "individual responsibility" for decisions in immigration cases.

Hirsi Ali falsified her name and date of birth on an asylum application when she arrived in 1992, fearing reprisals from her family after she fled an arranged marriage.

She was granted a passport in 1997 and acknowledged the falsification in 2002 during vetting as a candidate for parliament. There were no objections then.

But after a television program revived the matter last week, one of Hirsi Ali's political opponents, far-right lawmaker Hilbrand Nawijn, brought pressure on Verdonk to revoke her citizenship.

Verdonk reviewed the case and found naturalization had been improperly granted: a ruling by the Dutch Supreme Court in 2005 found that passports issued to people with false names are automatically invalid.

Hirsi Ali became internationally known after the murder of van Gogh in November 2004. She wrote the script for his 11-minute film "Submission," which offended many Muslims. She said Tuesday she would continue to voice criticism of fundamentalist Islam and that she plans a sequel to "Submission."

"I am leaving. However, the questions remain," she said. "The questions about the future of Islam in our country, the subjugation of women in Islamic culture, the integration of the many Muslims in the West. It is a self-deceit to imagine that these issues will disappear."

Van Gogh's murderer left a note threatening Hirsi Ali, and she has been under police protection ever since. The Dutch state had been scrambling to arrange housing for her after her neighbors in The Hague complained successfully last month that her security arrangements had become an unbearable nuisance.

"It is difficult to live with so many threats on your life and such a level of police protection," Hirsi Ali said. "It is difficult to work as a parliamentarian if you have no where to live. All that is difficult but not impossible. It has become impossible since last night."

Parliament held an emergency debate over Hirsi Ali's resignation, and Verdonk said she did not regret her decision.

"I understand my colleagues' emotions, but we're living in a country that prides itself on respecting the law. Rules and laws apply to everyone, and I'm not making any exceptions," she told lawmakers. But she said the case was still under review, and Hirsi Ali had six weeks to respond.

Domestic politics appeared to have played a role in Verdonk's decision. She is standing for head of the conservative Liberal Party — of which Hirsi Ali is also a member. The two say they are friends.

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 15:44
Ergo non sum
Rising Star

The same thing happens with countless people in this country and the same procedure is received by them. I agree with the decision to withdraw her naturalization, however the thing i hate in this country is that the gouverment only acts in this way when something like this is "hot" in the media. :thmbdown:

Time isn't wasted...

when you're wasted all the time.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 17:18
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: F.C. Juventus of Turin
It's called karma.

Tee hee.

“Dogs celebrate on the corpses of lions, thinking they’ve won, but lions remain lions and dogs stay dogs"
-Stefano Sturaro

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 17:24
International
International

Teams: Benfica, Portugal
No biggie...she can come to the US as an illegal, have citizenship within months, and write another movie/book on the lack of Arab masculinity, make millions and live happily ever after.

Forca Hirsi...

I bet she's a piece ass to...anyone got pics?

....There was also a conspiracy against Sporting to keep them out of 1st place by 26 points. The conspiracy is about to be revealed in a public judicial forum soon enough. It's hasn't anything to do with Golden whistles, but with Golden Showers, as Sporting Administration and coaching has conspired to piss all over themselves this season.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 17:27
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
A populist(Verdonk, in the sense why she is doing this to Ali) outing another populist and the biggiest attention-whore there is, in Hirsi Ali, is hilarious(Anyone read her stuff would know she is doing it for purely the attention, talking about subjects she has little insight in just to be controversial).

But the faking of papers to get asylum in a country for a refugee is nothing new, its a drastic and desperate mesures many take, for safety and for a better life.

Maybe its a huge deal because this sad individual is a high ranking politician(though they have known about this for 4 years, why do something now?), but normally isn't, if the Immigrations finds out and maybe finds a valid reason for you faking it etc.

It just smells like a populistic decision, too good of an oppurtunity to score some points.

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 17:43
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

In my opinion, this matter can't be viewed properly without taking into consideration Verdonk's attempts to become head of her party (VVD), her recent extradition of Taida Pasic (a student who lied to get Dutch citizenship) and a TV program which revealed that, parliamentary member, Hirsi Ali also lied to get her citizenship. In Hirsi Ali's case it was already known for years, however.

My take on it is this: Verdonk's campaign to become party leader wasn't going very well. She had been on the receiving end of harsh criticism for revoking Pasic's citizenship status, among other things. And with the news about Hirsi Ali's lies coming out, I guess that she felt that she needed to be one step ahead of her critics and quickly revoke Hirsi Ali's status as well.

Which resulted in the situation as it exists now.

It certainly hasn't done Verdonk any favours, as she's become an even greater outcast than she was before, and her campaign to become party leader also seems to have gone down the drain because of it. Not to mention the international criticism that the Netherlands have received because of the matter.

But for Hirsi Ali it's better I think. She had no life here in Holland. Living under 24h guard, because of death threats and generally getting little sympathy. The common opinion being that she had herself to blame for that.

Because of that, she would have left the country anyway. The institute that she'll be working for now, had already agreed to employ her starting May 2007, but because of this affair, Hirsi Ali decided to speed things up.

Latest news is that Verdonk will review the matter again, and it is expected that Hirsi Ali's citizenship will be reinstated.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 17:46
Forum Manager
Legend

In other words, the Dutch don't really know what they're doing.

“Dogs celebrate on the corpses of lions, thinking they’ve won, but lions remain lions and dogs stay dogs"
-Stefano Sturaro
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 17:48
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEagle
I bet she's a piece ass to...anyone got pics?

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 17:50 Thread Starter
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

where is she going in the US. who is the new employer?

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 17:52
International
International

Teams: Benfica, Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo

Oh yeah...no wonder the fundie islamics hate her. She knows they can't handle her, just by that smile.

Send her here.

Thx Boyo.

....There was also a conspiracy against Sporting to keep them out of 1st place by 26 points. The conspiracy is about to be revealed in a public judicial forum soon enough. It's hasn't anything to do with Golden whistles, but with Golden Showers, as Sporting Administration and coaching has conspired to piss all over themselves this season.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 17:52
Forum Manager
Legend

She looks like Denzel Washington.

-Stefano Sturaro
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 17:52
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
Hehe so I was right in assuming that Verdonk did it for populistic reasons(wow a politician would do that? GET outa here!), its just that it backfired on her.

And regarding Hirsi Ali, despite the fact that its unfortunate that some psychos threatend her life(not worth it p), she still has herself to blame that she stirred so much trouble for because of attention and for money, she deserves was she gets(and alienated and closed up life, and getting booted out of the country, even if for the wrong reasons).

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 17:55 Thread Starter
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbird
where is she going in the US. who is the new employer?
Nevermind. Failed to completely read my own post. :rollani:

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 00:00
gOD
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
It was hilarious. Everybody already knew that Verdonck is a dispicable excuse of a human being, but now she also proved that she is completely incompetent when it comes to politics. She has manoeuvred herself into an impossible position.

We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace!

26.000 Faces :frownani:
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 01:49
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero
She looks like Denzel Washington.
How many times you creamed your tunic?

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 02:04
Forum Manager
Legend

I suspect less than you did.

-Stefano Sturaro
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 02:34
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
I wear pants. Well, most of the time.

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in