Compare and Constrast: Al Jazeera vs. Fox News - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 02:00 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Milan l' on gran Milan
Compare and Constrast: Al Jazeera vs. Fox News

I am not too familiar with Al Jazeera's broadcasting, but their webpage in many cases fails to be considered a news source. The few times I've seen it I see Fox News, only not

Which one do you think is a better news source (as in delivering thefacts) and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 10:35
International

Al Jazeera has some quality content, but I find them too Arab-centric. They seem less relevant on issues outside the scope of the Middle East.

As for Fox news, they are a despicable bunch. I wont waste my time with them, but suffice to say, if you look at Fox news as a legitimate source of unbiased information, well...something is really wrong with you.

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 12:12
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United
Both are equally as biased. Fox news shouldn't even be taken seriously, it's a joke.

England the home of football.
MUFC-The Religion.

Quote:
Fish are caught by there mouths, men by there word

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 13:32
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
Al-Jeezera is ofcourse quite biased, but I wouldnt say equally biased(they sometimes serve the qouta of being a decent journalistic media). I'm not even sure its possible to be as biased as Fox news is.

Sometimes I think Fox news is a brilliant comedy show like Colbert's or Stewarts. Even more brilliant then them, because people actually take them to be for real and are attempting to be a serious media, while they are just continuing with they ever hilarious gag that has being going on for years.

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.-Genghis Khan
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 14:27
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
I'm not too sure about bias, but what I do know is that Al Jazeera loooove to stir up controversial topics and getting into the nitty gritty on sensitive topics.

I think it's good, because I'm bored of the bland and boring analyses you watch on one channel where someone sits there and suggests his ideas on how the Palestinian-Israeli conflict can be solved tomorrow.

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 01:25
International

Teams: Cro NT, NY Islanders, USA NT, Notre Dame
Why is it Fox News is bombed as a bunch of biased BS, when things like the NY Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe, LA Times, and basically 75% of all the US newspapers are just filled with left wing junk. Throw in CBS and ABC into the mix as well. Yet they win awards and are blasted with praise as legit news sources.

When the NY Times had that bum Jason Blair making up negative stories about right wingers for a year. Where was the outrage? Or when the NY Times took letters from dead soldiers and manipulated in a way to make them seem anti-war radicals when it was the total opposite was true. Or when CBS and the Washington Post fabricate documents about Bush national guard records. Where's the legit news source outlet argument then? The list goes on and on with these news sources which are outright mouthpieces for liberal ideology.

All I ask is that the same standards apparently Fox News is under to be applied for these news outlets. Fox is truly right wing news. No question about that, yet call the rest of the news for what they are as well. News today is political driven always has and always will people should just watch several news programs and read several newspapers to get a real prespective on the world. The truth is usually in the middle somewhere of that.

Oh and by the way the only reason Fox News gets the flack they do is simple. In the US they kill CNN and MSNBC in ratings. Same goes for talk radio. If you can't beat them I guess you should just bad mouth them I guess.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 02:43
International

No, cb. News has never always been politically driven. It never used to be this bad before. I certainly prefer the NEWS to stay impartial in the political arena. That being said, your right about the majority of the newspapers. Personally I dont read newspapers on a regular basis. And when I do, I dont waste my time with opinions and editorials. But thats just me.

The thing with tv is that the junk is spoon fed. Speaking of which, what happened to that comedy central show Crossballs?

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 03:20
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Adams
No, cb. News has never always been politically driven. It never used to be this bad before. I certainly prefer the NEWS to stay impartial in the political arena. That being said, your right about the majority of the newspapers. Personally I dont read newspapers on a regular basis. And when I do, I dont waste my time with opinions and editorials. But thats just me.

The thing with tv is that the junk is spoon fed. Speaking of which, what happened to that comedy central show Crossballs?
I disagree St. Adams about media not having an agenda in the past. They always did it just can in different forms and in in less outlets.

With TV for decades people only got to see a half hour program of news a night from one or two stations. Their was no sense of political leanings from the public because their were so few TV news outlets this was all they knew. CBS basically dominated news in the US for decades. I'm sure the same was true in other countries where their was only one news media outlet for decades BBC CBC. Only today their so many stations and with the internet you can have an arguement about if this is liberal or conservative news outlet.

If anything Saint I truly believe the media is probably more fair now just because of the fact their so many voices on TV, on print, on the internet that the truth is somewhere, it might be blurred by the amount of spin but its still their. That its so hard to hide something and no story will go unreported anymore. In the past certain issues which were big issues are reported now when before they never were. In the past Civil Rights, Immigration, Political scandals and so many others issue which were big in the past are now reported when before they were never even mentioned in the past.

The real only thing that irks me too much about current news is their's too much news analysis. I usually just want to hear the news and i'll hear my spin on another program. I wish news and anaylsis were seperated not mushed together especially with TV in particular. Its like they've brought the editorials into the fore front of TV news when it should be still seperated as they are in the newspaper (At least most still do). I think this is a bad trend but one that will continue.

By the way the news media in the 50's-70's since then in my eyes its gotten better but back then it was very left leaning in the US. Joe McCarthy the US senator (the guy who called everyone a Commie) was blasted by many in the media as an alcholic nut, Nixon recieved similar treatment. While JFK who had rampant affairs, ties with the mob, allegedly had an affair with an East German spy, had dead people voting for him in Chicago, intimdated his enemies through the FBI and a bunch of other things. Never got a peep from the news media. Helen Thomas the long time White House correspondent said she knew all of this but said it was "inappropriate to talk about" REALLY. But calling others alcholics and other things was who happen to be of a different political party was appropriate even for that time. I see no logical explanation for these irregularities like this other than large segments in the media at that time had political leanings and it reflected in their coverage or lack their of. And if you watched TV during this time you'd come away with the impression that Nixon started Vietnam not LBJ. (Complaining about the liberal media has been a rallying cry for conservatives for decades its a topic that always gets our blood boiling and gets a conversation started )

Wasn't Crossballs the parody of Crossfire? I remeber watching a few parodies of that on the Daily Show good stuff. I think Novak called Carville an a**hole and the show was then canned. Thats a classic clip if you can get you hand on it Comedy central could never duplicate that.

Last edited by croatian batman; May 12th, 2006 at 03:30.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 03:44
International

I suppose you are correct. I didnt have the privilege of existence at that time. However I do remember in my younger days, how news was just that- news. No frills, as you said- no analysis, none of that extra mumbo jumbo. I remember sitting down with my grandfather as he watched the BBC nightly news and...

Anyways, Fox makes me want to puke, with "Fair and Balanced" and Bill O Reilly and those two nutjobs who trade jabs with each other.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 04:07
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Adams
I suppose you are correct. I didnt have the privilege of existence at that time. However I do remember in my younger days, how news was just that- news. No frills, as you said- no analysis, none of that extra mumbo jumbo. I remember sitting down with my grandfather as he watched the BBC nightly news and...

Anyways, Fox makes me want to puke, with "Fair and Balanced" and Bill O Reilly and those two nutjobs who trade jabs with each other.
I'm in my early 20's dude you thought I was 50!!

My two favorite things about Fox News is always they have a show called "Cost of Freedom" and its about the economy. Go figure with that name? You'd figure it was about war or something. And they have another show where they talk about stock tips and one of the contributors is a WWF wrestler named Bradshaw Leighfield. I have no damn idea how he's on that show and I have no idea what he's doing on a table with other people discussing stock options.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 04:18
Legend
Legend

Teams: Partizan
Quote:
Originally Posted by croatian batman
Well you sure do sound like an annoyed, hardworking middleaged conservative
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 04:32
On Planet Z
International

Teams: AS Roma
Quote:
Originally Posted by croatian batman
Jabber jabs! Admit your age and go tie an onion to your belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
By that logic, we should shove dead people back inside their mothers, so they'd be ending their lives exactly where they started. But of course, we would need to get a doctor to slap the corpse on the butt before putting it back inside the mother's womb.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 05:02
Tim
Xtratime Legend

All media has an agenda and a bias... towards making as much money as possible. News is a business more than ever, especially since advent of 24-hour news channels and the explosion of the Internet. Some agendas are more extreme than others, depending on the target audience.

The thing is that the outlets whose bias conforms to one's own are seen as legitimate whereas those whose bias opposes one's own are seen as biased drivel. That's why conservatives love to blame the "liberal media" and liberals whine about the "corporate media."

As for Al Jazeera vs. Fox News, basically Al Jazeera is the Fox News of the Middle East and Fox News is the Al Jezeera of the West. Same shit, different smell.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 05:08
Legend
Legend

Guys I thought CNN was bad...
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 05:14
Tim
Xtratime Legend

Commie.

...though it's interesting; I guess our likes and dislikes for certain outlets says a lot about our politics.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 05:23
Legend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
...though it's interesting; I guess our likes and dislikes for certain outlets says a lot about our politics.

Not to mention past experiences...
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 21:36
MVP
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Juventus, Lebanon, Italy
This is FOX News' (and most other American news broadcasts such as ABC, NBC) style of reporting:

Nice pretty lady telling the news of a typical day of violence in the West Bank:

"A group of Palestinian gunmen attacked an Israeli family inside their vehicle wounding a father, mother, and killing a 12 year old boy while they were on an outing for a picnic, Ithak the boy's father, explains. Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon vowed to retaliate and seek these criminals who are disrupting the peaceful life which Israelis choose to live.

Meanwhile, Israel also launched an air raid attack in Gaza over a group of unarmed protestors, killing 12 people and wounding 23.

After the break...Michael Jackson prosecution continues..."

The above isn't a true report, I just made it up based on something very very similar to what I hear when I used to switch on FOX News back home in Lebanon.

Don't lament the treachery of time;
long have dogs danced over the carcasses of lions.

Don't suppose that their dancing raises them above their masters;
for dogs remain dogs, and lions remain lions.

Insult me as you wish;
For my silence to the depraved is a response.

It's not that I have no response, but;
A lion does not reply to a dog.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2006, 00:17
BANNED!
International

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem/Israel & Juventus/Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizoid
The above isn't a true report
no really ????

With the anti semitic and anti Jewish BBC (they're the worst... but CNN and the rest are all very very anti Israel) and all the media in the world, this Arab actually thinks someone is in favour of Israel ? Now that's a first How delusional can one be.

Btw, this is for real what's being broadcasted in Palestinian TV all day :

It's a song that shows buses being burnt and Arab martyrs holding guns. There's also the Itbach el yahud chants.

And this in Israel TV :

Peace songs. And more. And children shows with Arabs & Jews together.

Last edited by Del Piero; May 13th, 2006 at 01:11.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2006, 00:25
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
Can you atleast bother to remotely competent and even slightly convincing with your propoganda?

Tiny little more effort then saying Palestinian tv= Bus blowing up and Izraeli= peace songs wouldn't hurt. Not that you are trying convinve anyone but yourself with post like these.

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.-Genghis Khan
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2006, 01:08
BANNED!
International

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem/Israel & Juventus/Italy
What don't you understand Osman ? This is the reality here. You want reference and quotes, pictures, articles ? You'll just dismiss them. You didn't even comment on earlier facts which were elaborate, so where do you get the audacity to ask for more effort ? being ridicilous as always, aren't you.

The reality is that the majority of Israeli songs and TV for children are about peace, while the majority of the Palestinian education is about Jihad. I can watch the Palestinian TV myself with antenna and this is the reality. If this is not convincing for you, your prerogative. I've never seen you writing any convincing posts on any of your "claims".... so perhaps you're not the best judge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in