Why the war on terrorism is a load of bollocks - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 12:46 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United
Why the war on terrorism is a load of bollocks

The whole Iran and Iraq are supporters of terrorism is a load of bullshit. Ok, lets look at a wider picture beyond the media for a second for all those drones out there. Most governments or it's people have supported terrorism numerous times, even the beloved united states. The IRA was funded for years by Rich Americans in which more people have died in in 9/11 over 40 a year peroid, strangely since 9/11 happened it not longer receives no more funding and ultimately has been disbanded. I'm sick of Americans hypocrisy over terrorism. They need to look at their countries hypocrisy before they start with lets invade every country because they possess terrorist supporting governments or people. Tell me how invading countries and bombing them is going to prevent terrorism long term, I'd love to know. Americans support and fight terrorism when it suits them best. Their saudi friends are the biggest supporters of terrorism and most terrorists are likely to come out of there (maybe not the government but it's people are) yet I don't see America wanting to invade them? Why is this ? Simply because they have the Royals wrapped around their fingers for supplies of oil. Bush has even admitted that he doesn't think of Bin Laden any more, doesn't this point just destroy the purpose of "the war on terror" completely? Now they are thinking of potentially invading Iran? Is Bush completely nuts? Why should America choose who can and who cannot have nuclear weapons, I don't think any nuclear power should have a say in this unless they make an example and disband their own. Remind me who the only country in the world is to use a nuke on a large population? Another problem of the possible invasion of Iran is that it's a much much bigger country than Iraq (over 40 million more people and a much better equipped army) and the US forces are already stretched. I believe Iran has over half a million men in the Iranian Navy, air force and army. Irans defence budget is one of the largest in the world when it come to it's % in GNP (I think it's around 2.5%). An attack on Iran just doesn't look possible for me, not a successful one anyway. Ok I'm getting side tracked on this rant so I'll continue bitching about the "Global War on Terror".

There is a more sinister motive of self which surrounds the "War on terror" and I don't know why some Americans still refuse to admit it. I mean why really would the US want to control the middle east and only the middle east it seems to have its eyes on. Just ask yourself what actually war is, since terrorists don't live at Fixed addresses taking over countries (which you believe to be terrorist supporting) is completely useless. Such conflicts as "war" can only be fought between two countries (or groups!) who seek to dominate each other, both by number of deaths but most importantly over the land you gain(this is a more modern and concept which has been adopted by the rest of the world, land is power,power is everything). You see Al-Qaeda do not set out to dominate America, it's main and only object is based soley around causing severe damage by any means possible. How how exactly is this a war which can we won? Apparently if America takes over these "terrorist" states and then place democracy in that country they expect
terrorism level to drop? I suppose if all countries in the world are democracy then people in that country will be against terrorism because of common grounds and foreign affairs with the US? In theory this seems quite a good idea but bombing and invading countries prior to them becoming a democracy in my mind is going to fuel more hatred, more violence and more terrorism long term. I must say I'd be pretty pissed off if a bomb landed in my back garden. What is good for America in the West long term is not necessarily good for everyone. Democracy in Iraq looks doomed simply because of religious tension between it's 3 groups, it wouldn't surprise me if Iraq has to break up into 3 factions and then become a democracy that way, this of course will lead to even more violence and blood shed in an already dangerous and unstable country. Another reason why America cannot win this war is because of the inequality and continuing inequality of the more less developed countries. Our more developed countries thrive on the cheap labour and materials what is coming out of these countries so they need the poverty levels to stay at the same level. We keep them bogged down by trade negotiations and economic threats which creates an intense amount of tension and dislike between them and us. A great example of this is Mr Bush's refusal to take action against global warming because it threatens jobs in the US of A. If the fate of humanity takes second place to their jobs, what chance is there for less developed countries? Some are going to see terror as the only way of fighting such inequality.

Before you fight something you need to understand what you are fighting and why they want you dead. You cannot run round like a blind maniac in a shopping mall with a machine and expect the problem to be sorted out. Can anyone give me ONE logical reason how invading countries and bombing it is going to PREVENT terrorism and not fuel it? Jealousy isn't necessarily the reason for this rising Islamic terrorism. Not everyone in the world wants to jog along with Bush wearing nike trainers and dining in the luxurious Mac Donalds, the main reason for terrorism is because they want to actually preserve their culture so how is invading them going to help the situation? I'm just wondering whether Bush is purposely attempting to start a 3rd world war. No matter how many countries you invade, cities you bomb, and heighten your security the simple fact is you will never eradicate the problem til you deal with the root of the problem and deal with it appropriately. It seems to be like we are going back into the middle ages since Bush has taken office, only with better Pr teams and bigger bombs this time round. Rant over.

England the home of football.
MUFC-The Religion.

Quote:
Fish are caught by there mouths, men by there word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 21:32 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Why won't any kunt disagree????? where are all the deluded republicans to slaughter

MUFC-The Religion.

Quote:
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 21:51
Legend
Legend

Teams: Partizan
Your post is far too long for them to read, I'm afraid.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 22:23
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Not everyone in the world wants to jog along with Bush wearing nike trainers and dining in the luxurious Mac Donalds, the main reason for terrorism is because they want to actually preserve their culture so how is invading them going to help the situation?
Some would think that if this is the thing that they fear then their acts of terrorism must be the most ineffective act troughout world history. For sure they would have done much better if they started a "Al Kebab" food chain and used all their ill gotten money on advertising. Using local food products and forcing all employees to use their sandals instead of evil imperialistic Nike sneekers.

Sure, with anti-American sentiment they manage to get some people to boycott their products.

Personally I had more of the impression that they want to move back the muslim word some 500 more years. But not because of the spread of MacDonalds.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 04:47
Tim
Xtratime Legend

It's self-interest. There are many causes of death that kill ten or a hundred times as many people as terrorism does, yet there is no War on Cancer, War on Hunger, or War on Stupidity.

There is the emotional aspect of the attacks. People react more strongly when they see the aftermath of, say, a car bomb and hear that 40 people were killed than if they hear every once in a while about someone dying in a car crash. So, even though the chances of being killed in a car crash are far, far higher than those of being killed by a car bomb, it's easier to use the latter for scaremongering. "Vote for me or your kid is going to turn into a fat pig and keel over because he overstuffed himself at McDonalds" is never going to be a campaign strategy.

There is the emotional appeal of the response. You can't invade Cancerstan. You can't stop accidents with National Stupidity alerts. Everyone knows that. On the other hand, people feel like something is being done about terrorism if you talk tough and then whup on some poor countries. It seems better than inaction, right? Makes them feel more secure, and makes you feel like there's more dangling between your legs than just the belt buckle pulling down your 98 lbs. Nevermind that airport and border security, among other things, still suck.

Trying to prevent terrorism is one thing, the War on Terror is another. Like with the War on Drugs, you can hardly negotiate ceasefires and surrenders and sign peace deals with terrorism. Plus the War on Terror is a temporary "solution" to a permanent problem. Terrorism has always been around and will always be around, and the only way to eradicate it 100% is to control all of society, which, in turn, would be state sponsored terrorism.

Terrorism has helped a lot of political careers. That's why a lot of them focus on terrorism so much and want the whole world to drop whatever it was doing and become involved, wheras before terrorism only a problem elsewhere, which made it uninteresting.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 05:24
Legend
Legend

Teams: Partizan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
You can't stop accidents with National Stupidity alerts.
Those would be nice! But there would be too many of them.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 08:41
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan
Well, we won't see the politician start a "war on smoking" even if that kills many many more than any terrorist would ever do.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 08:50
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

Teams: PAOK and Parma
Smoking brings money to large corporations (and they cut the politicians a piece of the pie) and lots of taxes. Furthermore, there plain shouldn't be a War on Smoking because (a) it will not work (like the War on Drugs) and (b) it will be unethical and immoral and a violation of civil RIGHTS (like the War on Drugs).

Love is the drug, and I'm a junkie.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 13:08
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
Further indications of why the bogus fight on terror sucks biggus dickus. Destablizing a country that is the most instable in the world proberly.

See the bold parts for clarification...

Key battle for Mogadishu resumes

The price of ammunition in the city has rocketed
Fighting between Somali warlords and Islamist militias for control of the capital, Mogadishu, has resumed for a sixth day after a brief lull.
Thousands have fled their homes, leaving the northern suburbs deserted and some 125 people dead.

A BBC reporter in Mogadishu says there was a brief lull after heavy overnight shelling, but fighting has resumed.

A hospital director in the city said that if the violence continued, medical supplies would run out.

The Islamists say the alliance of warlords are backed by the US, a belief fuelling the worst clashes in a decade.

The warlords accuse the Islamists of harbouring foreign militants.

The BBC's Mohammed Olad Hassan says the break in fighting on Friday morning gave both sides an opportunity to rearm.

He says there is a pattern: intensive shelling for long stretches followed by a few hours break in which only sporadic gunfire can be heard.

Map of Mogadishu
Thousands of people have fled their homes to other parts of the city or nearby towns.

The price of ammunition has rocketed in the last week; a single AK47 round which cost 60 US cents last week now costs $1.50 on Mogadishu's open weapons market.

'Savage'

Dr Sheikh don Salad Elmi, the director of Medina hospital in South Mogadishu, where many have been brought in with severe injuries, said the fighting was affecting up to 200,000 inhabitants.

SOMALIA'S THREE RIVAL GROUPS
Transitional government
Gets arms from: Ethiopia, Italy (Source: UN report)
Islamic courts
Gets arms from: Eritrea (Source: UN report)
Anti-terror alliance of warlords
Believed to get support from US

Q&A: Mogadishu fighting
"We're afraid if the fighting goes on and the influx of wounded people increases in the hospital, we might not be able to cope," he told the BBC's World Today programme.

"The fighting has been intensive and is intensifying," he said

Most of those killed in the fighting are civilians caught in cross-fire or hit by stray bullets or shells, our reporter says.

"This is the first time we have witnessed people fighting in Somalia and targeting civilians in such a savage way," Mohamud Jama told the AP news agency at a hospital where he was tending his wife after a shell hit his home killing three of his children.

The fighting began on Sunday in the district of CC.

Arms embargo

The US has not confirmed or denied backing the warlords but says it would "work with responsible individuals... in fighting terror".

A report by a UN committee on Wednesday warned that an unnamed country is flouting the arms embargo on Somalia.

Facts and figures about life in Somalia

At-a-glance

The UN Security Council rejected the committee's recommendations for targeted sanctions and tighter controls on the illegal flow of weapons into Somalia.

This is the second round of Mogadishu's most serious fighting in a decade. In March, clashes between the two sides killed at least 90 people.

The militia linked to the Joint Islamic Courts have restored order to some parts of the city by providing justice under Sharia - Islamic law.

The alliance of warlords earlier this year created the Alliance for the Restoration of Peace and Counter-Terrorism.

It accuses the Islamic Courts of sheltering foreign al-Qaeda leaders, while the Courts say the alliance is a pawn of the United States.

Last week, Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf accused the US of funding the coalition of warlords.

The US has an anti-terror task force based in nearby Djibouti.

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 13:57
BANNED!
International

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem/Israel & Juventus/Italy
You're not making any sense Assman.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 14:46
BANNED!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Tricolor Paulista
then I think he is good enough to discuss the flags issue with you Del Piero
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 14:53
Star Player

Teams: Nottingham Forest, England
Quote:
Why won't any kunt disagree????? where are all the deluded republicans to slaughter
Cant disagree mate - only agree! Where was the war on terrorism when the IRA were uping the campaign against the mainland and NI; it still pi$$es me off when I see the images of old when Sein Feinn used to do their fund raising in the states and that wasnt that long ago!

"If god wanted us to play football in the air then he would have built a pitch in the clouds"

Brian Clough - Legend
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 16:34
BANNED!
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite®nit
then I think he is good enough to discuss the flags issue with you Del Piero
seriously, it's funny. I'm sure in Indonseia also 80% of the population is Monacoians.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 16:54
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Piero
You're not making any sense Assman.

Coming from you, thats nothing short of a compliment.

And kudos for the originality of your namecalling btw.

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 16:55
Nasty Woman
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Argentina, Lazio, Fiorentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrix

Yes, it's too long. I expect jolly fun from our British members, not depressing criticism.

(You're right about the IRA though)

But tomorrow is new day and new chance. -- Alija

Nel cielo biancazzurro brilla un'altra stella - In the lightblue sky another star shines. Alija tu non sarai mai sola. Alija you will never be alone.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 18:20
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter, Memphis Tigers
Quote:
I must say I'd be pretty pissed off if a bomb landed in my back garden.
Nicely understated.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 19:57
BANNED!
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osman
Coming from you, thats nothing short of a compliment.
now that's awfully original
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 18:01
Star Player

Teams: Liverpool FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrix

snap!
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 17:34 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
It's self-interest. There are many causes of death that kill ten or a hundred times as many people as terrorism does, yet there is no War on Cancer, War on Hunger, or War on Stupidity.

There is the emotional aspect of the attacks. People react more strongly when they see the aftermath of, say, a car bomb and hear that 40 people were killed than if they hear every once in a while about someone dying in a car crash. So, even though the chances of being killed in a car crash are far, far higher than those of being killed by a car bomb, it's easier to use the latter for scaremongering. "Vote for me or your kid is going to turn into a fat pig and keel over because he overstuffed himself at McDonalds" is never going to be a campaign strategy.

There is the emotional appeal of the response. You can't invade Cancerstan. You can't stop accidents with National Stupidity alerts. Everyone knows that. On the other hand, people feel like something is being done about terrorism if you talk tough and then whup on some poor countries. It seems better than inaction, right? Makes them feel more secure, and makes you feel like there's more dangling between your legs than just the belt buckle pulling down your 98 lbs. Nevermind that airport and border security, among other things, still suck.

Trying to prevent terrorism is one thing, the War on Terror is another. Like with the War on Drugs, you can hardly negotiate ceasefires and surrenders and sign peace deals with terrorism. Plus the War on Terror is a temporary "solution" to a permanent problem. Terrorism has always been around and will always be around, and the only way to eradicate it 100% is to control all of society, which, in turn, would be state sponsored terrorism.

Terrorism has helped a lot of political careers. That's why a lot of them focus on terrorism so much and want the whole world to drop whatever it was doing and become involved, wheras before terrorism only a problem elsewhere, which made it uninteresting.

My opinion of current events especially Iraq, stem from my belief that the troops are dying for the neo-conservative principle of petro-imperialism. The US economy operates on petroleum, a non-renewable, finite resource. It only makes sense that since they don't have an abundant alternative fuel, they buy up or take by force the petroleum what they need. The economies of China and India are exploding and so is their demand for oil which is a threat to US interests.

MUFC-The Religion.

Quote:
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 17:52
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

Teams: PAOK and Parma
Quote:
petro-imperialism
Stone-imperialism?

Love is the drug, and I'm a junkie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in