Nostradamus - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2006, 13:59 Thread Starter
Ergo non sum
Rising Star

Nostradamus

First some information, probably a lot of you know who he was and what he did, and of course why he became so "famous", however maybe you read something you didn't know or would like to discuss and share your opinion about it, with us all.

NOSTRADAMUS

Nostradamus was a French physician. He was born in 1503 in Saint-Rémy de Provence, France. He died in 1566 in Salon-de-Provence, France. He was a catholic. His parents and grandparents were Jewish from origin, but had themselves baptized catholic.

The word Prophecies is a name for a series of more than 940 predictions which are written as quatrains, four-line verses. The Prophecies are published in parts. The publishing of the first four chapters went together with a letter from Nostradamus to Cesar, his oldest son. The publishing of the last three chapters went together with a letter from Nostradamus to Henry II, king of France.

In the Prophecies, wars are predicted, political quarrels and various kinds of disasters such as floods, famine and epidemics. The language of the Prophecies is most of the time unclear and Nostradamus gives only a couple of times a hint to a fulfilment date.

The investigation on which Nostradamus, astrology and the Bible is based, showed by means of the quatrains and the letters to Cesar and Henry II, that Nostradamus had the strong conviction that God gave to him the gift of prophecy. During 29 years, from October 16, 1524 to October 11, 1553, he got "imaginations" (visions). These "imaginations" contained hints to wars, disasters and the like. After each "imagination", he calculated a horoscope in order to determine where and when would occur what he "saw". After the birth of Cesar, his eldest son, he elaborated his notes in the form of quatrains, four-line verses. A couple of times he also applied biblical verses. He published the quatrains in parts in the period 1555-1558.

According to Nostradamus, the events which he predicts in the Prophecies, will take place in the whole of Europe, Africa and a part of Asia. The investigation on which Nostradamus, astrology and the Bible is based, showed that his predictions refer to West-, Central- and Southeast-Europe, Asia Minor and the countries around the Mediterranean Sea. He did not predict events for North-, Central- and South America, Africa, East-Europe, Asia or Australia.
Nostradamus wrote to his son Cesar that the Prophecies cover a time span from March 1, 1555, to 3797. The investigation on which Nostradamus, astrology and the Bible is based, showed that the beginning date indeed is March 1, 1555. The closing date is November 9, 3797.

From 1550, Nostradamus became increasingly famous by his almanacs and books about health and beauty. When Henry II, the French king, died in July 1559, Nostradamus suddenly became famous because rumours spread that he predicted this in one of his Prophecies.
The reputation of the Prophecies up till today is caused by the controversy they always evoke. Despite the vague contents, people think that some of his predictions really became fulfilled. Next, it is fascinating that they cover such a long time span and it is a challenge to find out how Nostradamus conceived them.

large number of investigators will answer this question with "yes". However, a comparison between their comments shows in many cases that they differ from each other regarding the interpretation of the quatrains. In only a minor number of cases, they have a uniform opinion about the nature and the date of the event that Nostradamus would have meant.
The investigation on which Nostradamus, astrology and the Bible is based, shows that the astrological foundation of the Prophecies is obsolete, so they simply cannot be fulfilled. Also other arguments of Nostradamus regarding the fundaments of his predictions, are insufficient. A number of predictions, from which in the investigation the moment of expiration was established, turned out not to be fulfilled at all.

Of course there is a lot more information about Nostradamus and mainly the Prophecies, but my intention isn't to inform about it, i rather would like to hear your opinions. Do you think it is all true, possible and should we believe anything he wrote?

I didn't post everthing, any other information like the forty quatrains etc. can be found on the same site i copied the text above from.

Nostradamus Research - URL

Time isn't wasted...

when you're wasted all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2006, 14:09
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

It's a load of vague stuff that people can read anything into that they want. That's why his 'predictions' seem to come true.

I predict that the world cup will be won by the team of passion, from the country where football is an important part of life, and that represents their nation in true spirit.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2006, 14:29
Thought Criminal
Legend

Teams: Croatia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo
I predict that the world cup will be won by the team of passion, from the country where football is an important part of life, and that represents their nation in true spirit.

Yay! Croatia is going to win

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2006, 14:30
Thought Criminal
Legend

I dont know about this guy and his"predictions".

We could do this and become famous in a couple of hundred of years. Lets start the XT almanac, to be kept as a reference for the doc and marty mcfly. Hey they gonna need it!

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2006, 14:56 Thread Starter
Ergo non sum
Rising Star

the man who used it was Biff Tanen, the stepfather of Marty.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion on the topic.

Time isn't wasted...

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2006, 17:04
World Class Player

Teams: Inter Milan, Macedonia NT
I got the book.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2006, 17:12
Legend
Legend

Teams: Partizan
The descriptions are very vague, and since they were written a long time ago, there is a large probability of several of them "fitting" to real events (I saw this proven in a paper once, forgot the link though). So, as time goes on, it's more and more likely that you can find some event that "fits" one of Nostradamus' loose "predictions". This is of course is just coincidence, and you'll find most quatrains don't make a lot of sense unless you really try to stretch their meaning.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2006, 17:50
Legend

Teams: Slovenia, Brazil, Russia, Korea, Vasco da Gama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrix
The descriptions are very vague, and since they were written a long time ago, there is a large probability of several of them "fitting" to real events (I saw this proven in a paper once, forgot the link though). So, as time goes on, it's more and more likely that you can find some event that "fits" one of Nostradamus' loose "predictions". This is of course is just coincidence, and you'll find most quatrains don't make a lot of sense unless you really try to stretch their meaning.
Exactly my thoughts. Plus, the future simply cannot be reliably predicted.

OT. Great signature! :thmbup:

Caipirinha: 6 €
Brazilian NT shirt: 70 €
Flight to Rio de Janeiro: 400 €
Seeing Italian NT kicked out of major tournament: PRICELESS

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
All NBA and NHL except Red Wings
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2006, 06:50
Ero
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zrinjski Mostar, Glasgow Celtic
In other words, it's horsesh!t.

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
Rudyard Kipling
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2006, 07:32
Thought Criminal
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCognito
the man who used it was Biff Tanen, the stepfather of Marty.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion on the topic.
See thats why Marty and the Doc need it though, to keep it away from Biff. If Biff got his hands on our alamanac, WHOWEE there would be a hell of a Back to the future 4

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 06:57
Outstanding Post of the Year 2007
Premier Player

I read that Nostradamus foretold the publication of the Da Vinci Code...is that true?

Vada a bordo, CAZZO!!! Gregorio De Falco

You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each
blade of grass
Yamamoto

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity Sigmund Freud
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 07:35
Thought Criminal
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giureconsulto
I read that Nostradamus foretold the publication of the Da Vinci Code...is that true?
If you want it to be....

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 09:22
Xtratime Elite

that's story of interpretation, you can interprete all you want.

I strictly have nothing to say but I want that comes out.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 12:27 Thread Starter
Ergo non sum
Rising Star

The closing date is November 9, 3797

the guy still has got time...

Time isn't wasted...

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 12:36
Thought Criminal
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCognito
The closing date is November 9, 3797

the guy still has got time...
So what does that mean, closing date?

Thats when he predicts the world ends?

post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2006, 16:59 Thread Starter
Ergo non sum
Rising Star

thats when his "predictions" end.

Time isn't wasted...

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 01:00
BANNED!
International

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem/Israel & Juventus/Italy
That all reminds me of the book "Good Omens"
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 09:40
Premier Player

Teams: Manchester United
http://skepdic.com/nostrada.html

All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 15:25
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter, Memphis Tigers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo
Wow. So even if USA wins, you'll still be right since 'football' could mean American football (i.e. NFL, etc). You're good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob W The Bat View Post
These last years after the CL win I noticed when following the Inter online community that many fans have turned into cvcksuckers.
R.I.P: Tazzy, Flo.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 19:57
Legend

u people must be kiddin

I dunno if he was a prophet but i'm tellin u people at least one thing that i know of he was very very specific

He predicted 9/11 very very precisely

This is a poor attempt at capturing what he said someone more knowledgable should take up the task

"In the ninth month of the new millenium two giants will fall in the New City of York and fire will spread to every part of the world"

Something like that it was

very very specific

I aint saying he's a prophet u know

I'm just saying what the Marvingian-Frenchman would say

Ok...He had some skeelz

that one prophecy is quite specific

O INTER O MORTE!!!!!!

Fernando Torres on English defenders "....the truth is most of them lack defensive positioning as a result of their reliance on strength and aggression and leave so much space for you to take advantage of.”

David Trezeguet: Anyway to score in European Cups is easier if compared to Serie A league, since in Champions League clubs give more space to opponents

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in