29th May-1453 - The conquest of Constantinople - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 349 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2006, 17:30 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Inter,Cimbom ve Blaugrana!
29th May-1453 - The conquest of Constantinople

This marked not only the final destruction of the Eastern Roman Empire, and the death of Konstantinou XI, the last Byzantine emperor, but also the fullfillment of ancient prophesy of the prophet Muhammed(P.B.U.H). In addition, it also provided the crucial geographical location that was to see the Turks rule an empire which epotomized land in 3 continents.Known as, Istanbul the city remained capital of the Ottoman Empire until the empire's dissolution in 1922.

:"Yurtta barış, dünyada barış"
A famous quotation and motto of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 16:00
Premier Player

Teams: A.C. Milan & Greek NT
And your point is ...

Hellas Milan
post #3 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 16:18 Thread Starter
Premier Player

its a special day for Turks and muslism all around the world. It reiterated that the Turks were a force to be reckoned with and signalled their dominanence in Eastern Europe. Other than that, it was the most magnificent prize for Mehmed, a prize which was as bold as his ambitions.

post #4 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 16:26 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
And your point is ...
come and discuss your views on the subject. I would really like to know how u ppl view the event. Ta leme meta!

post #5 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 17:18
Legend
Legend

Teams: Partizan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegasFetih
signalled their dominanence in Eastern Europe.

And centuries of darkness and opression for the peoples of that region...
post #6 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 17:53
Premier Player

Teams: A.C. Milan & Greek NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrix
And centuries of darkness and opression for the peoples of that region...

Exactly what I was thinking

Hellas Milan
post #7 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 19:45
World Class Player

Teams: fenerbahce
the conquest of istanbul meant that the greedy europeans couldnt find a direct route to asia. so thats how they found the america's by 'accident'.
notice how they 'claim' to have discoverd america. there were people living in the americas for years, so how exactly was it discoverd by columbus? it wasnt.
then the greedy europeans, as we well know, killed all of the indiginous peoples there. if one were to study the writings of hernan cortez and other people's accounts they(the reader) would know just how much of a savage those invaders were. adding on to this was the start of slavery and the triangle trade. thanks to that about 400000 africans were forced across the atlantic. no american president has apologized for slaver by the way.
then we can move on the raping of africa where these greedy europeans once again invaded these lands and took everything. how much is owed to the africans and south americans? an assload. not to mention the cause of two world wars. makes me think how can europeans today even have the nerve to comment and poke their noses in other countries affairs?
oh and to clerify- when i say europeans i'm mentioning the establishment. i dont know every individual european that has lived so to pass judgment would be wrong, but i can and will pass judgement on the rulers/government.

Last edited by lazyPro; April 18th, 2006 at 19:50.
post #8 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 19:48
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegasFetih
come and discuss your views on the subject. I would really like to know how u ppl view the event. Ta leme meta!
i doubt u'll be getting any postive feedback, as u have probably seen from the first 2 replies.
post #9 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 20:02
Legend
Legend

Teams: Partizan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyPro
i doubt u'll be getting any postive feedback, as u have probably seen from the first 2 replies.
Well what positive feedback does he expect from those that hail from the regions affected by the event?

Oh, let's thank the Ottoman Empire for keeping us in the dark while the rest of Europe experienced the Renaissance and the Englightenment! The effect of which is still seen today, to an extent...
post #10 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 20:12
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

Teams: PAOK and Parma
Quote:
the conquest of istanbul meant that the greedy europeans couldnt find a direct route to asia.
Of course, the Ottoman Empire was not driven by greed. And they did not intent to continue invading Europe as shown by their eventual defeat in... Vienna.

Quote:
then the greedy europeans, as we well know, killed all of the indiginous peoples there.
The Eastern Roman Empire. A great colonial power.

Quote:
thanks to that about 400000 africans were forced across the atlantic.
Across the atlantic to the... Easter Roman Empire?

Quote:
no american president has apologized for slaver by the way.
American presidents. The continuation of the Eastern Roman Emperors.

Quote:
then we can move on the raping of africa where these greedy europeans once again invaded these lands and took everything.
Byzantine Congo?

Quote:
how much is owed to the africans and south americans?
By the Eastern Roman Empire?

Not that what you say is not true, in a naive way, but how are they related to the sacking of Konstantinoupoli is beyond me. And even if it did ( ), it hardly stopped the events you narrate from happening, did it?

Look, the Ottomans wanted to build an Empire and expand. The Easter Roman Empire was already too weak and they were the only "obstacle" (though by the sacking of the city they weren't much of that either) for Europe. Konstantinoupoli was the jewell in the crown. It was going to happen at some point and that had nothing to do with the Byzantines being evil or Ottomans noble, and of course the opposite is not valid either. The Byzantines had their domination days (for a LONG time) in a difficult and turbulent region surrounded by enemies, but the end had come. Empires come and go. There is no reason to create neither a favorable, nor a negative image for a natural consequence of history.

Love is the drug, and I'm a junkie.
post #11 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 20:20
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOROSO!
Of course, the Ottoman Empire was not driven by greed. And they did not intent to continue invading Europe as shown by their eventual defeat in... Vienna.

The Eastern Roman Empire. A great colonial power.

Across the atlantic to the... Easter Roman Empire?

American presidents. The continuation of the Eastern Roman Emperors.

Byzantine Congo?

By the Eastern Roman Empire?

Not that what you say is not true, in a naive way, but how are they related to the sacking of Konstantinoupoli is beyond me. And even if it did ( ), it hardly stopped the events you narrate from happening, did it?

Look, the Ottomans wanted to build an Empire and expand. The Easter Roman Empire was already too weak and they were the only "obstacle" (though by the sacking of the city they weren't much of that either) for Europe. Konstantinoupoli was the jewell in the crown. It was going to happen at some point and that had nothing to do with the Byzantines being evil or Ottomans noble, and of course the opposite is not valid either. The Byzantines had their domination days (for a LONG time) in a difficult and turbulent region surrounded by enemies, but the end had come. Empires come and go. There is no reason to create neither a favorable, nor a negative image for a natural consequence of history.
im not following your sarcasim but i was referring mainly about the spanish, french, and english.
how is what i'm saying not true in a naive way? u think thousands of africans wanted to travel in chains across the atlantic ocean? u think thousands of south americans wanted to be killed by the conquistadors? u think africans wanted to be colonized? tell me ure just joking about that right.
how does this relate to the 'sacking' of istanbul? are u talking about the sacking that occured during the crusades? i wouldnt know how to relate it to that. otherwise, because the turks occupied that region europeans knew that they would have to find a new route to asia which lead to all of the above.
i'm sure the americas would have been discovered either way. but my point was that one thing lead to another.
post #12 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 20:25
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrix
Well what positive feedback does he expect from those that hail from the regions affected by the event?

Oh, let's thank the Ottoman Empire for keeping us in the dark while the rest of Europe experienced the Renaissance and the Englightenment! The effect of which is still seen today, to an extent...
hahaha i just noticed this. yes we all know turks weren't the epitome of rulers, but the same goes for anyone under somebody else's rule. which colony liked being conqured??
post #13 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 20:38
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
how is what i'm saying not true in a naive way? u think thousands of africans wanted to travel in chains across the atlantic ocean? u think thousands of south americans wanted to be killed by the conquistadors? u think africans wanted to be colonized? tell me ure just joking about that right.
Of course not. But stronger nations always did that, and the Europeans at the time while intellectually not at their best, technologically they were so much superior that they would have taken advantage of these lands anyway. Whether the Ottoman Empire had taken Konstantinoupoli or not.

Quote:
how does this relate to the 'sacking' of istanbul? are u talking about the sacking that occured during the crusades? i wouldnt know how to relate it to that. otherwise, because the turks occupied that region europeans knew that they would have to find a new route to asia which lead to all of the above.
I refer to the sacking of Konstantinoupoli by the Turks.

The rest is rubbish. The crusades had already failed, the Byzantines were too weak to expand and the Ottoman Turks as well as the Arabs were too strong. Had the Ottomans decided to not take Konstantinoupoli, there is still no European power at the time able to go through to Asia. If nothing else, for a long time the Eastern Roman Empire served as a shield for Asia (as well as Europe). Had it been a tottaly friendly to the Western Europeans state at its place, the crusades would have been much easier.

Quote:
i'm sure the americas would have been discovered either way. but my point was that one thing lead to another.
Your point is wrong.

Quote:
hahaha i just noticed this. yes we all know turks weren't the epitome of rulers, but the same goes for anyone under somebody else's rule. which colony liked being conqured??
Well, he wasn't the one trying to glorify any conquering war, nor did he go on an angry rant against greedy Europeans in a topic where the equal greed of the Ottomans is obvious. If you aren't familiar with the concept of irony, you just ODed everyone else on it.

You scored a spectacular own goal while the football game was played in a different stadium. Well done.

post #14 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 20:55
World Class Player

my point was that one thing lead to another, something that u boldy put as 'your point is wrong'.
post #15 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 20:58
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

And I explained why.

post #16 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 21:03
World Class Player

i dont agree
post #17 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 21:05
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

I'm sure you have your reasons. Seeing that this is a discussion forum perhaps you could share them.

post #18 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 21:12
World Class Player

sure

im disagreeing with you saying that i was wrong that one thing lead to another. assuming that an easy passage was possible to asia then europe would have been more interested in controlling the passages and the riches in asia rather than exploring other areas for an alternative route and in the process discovering gold and silver in south america.
post #19 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 21:18
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

I already explained to you that the passage was already closed or at any rate, there was no European power able to push through. The crusades had failed (so much that the last time around they decided to stop in Konstantinoupoli) and the Byzantine Empire never recovered from the defeat in Mazikert. You could argue that the rise of the Ottoman Turks was a factor in that, but by the time they conquested Konstantinoupoli it was all done and the Arabs were already too strong. The conquest of Konstantinoupoli did nothing but open the way for the Turks towards Europe- and it was merely a formality.

post #20 of 349 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 21:24
World Class Player

and if the turks had failed and the bzantium empire hadnt fallen then the chances of a direc route through the middle east could have been a possiblity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in